United787
Topic Author

Your Habits/Routine when Flying

Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:19 pm

I am about to depart on an United flight ORD-MCO and just started one of my favorite flying routines.

When flying UA, I usually play Rhapsody on Blue (Chicago Symphony Orchestra) on my phone. It is 16 minutes long and usually takes me from the gate to the air where I can take a quick nap. If lucky, the wheels leave the ground right at the crescendo. It relaxes me and puts me in a vacation mood since I rarely fly for business. It also makes me feel at home on my favorite airline, United. Come fly the friendly skies of United.

What are some of your routines/habits.

VSMUT

Re: Your Habits/Routine when Flying

Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:15 pm

Brush my teeth before tucking in for the night.
Take a shower at the lounge on longer trips to freshen up. Both before (if it's at the end of a long working day) and between flights.
Get some sleep on long-haul flights, at least 8 hours, preferably more. A bit hard on westbound daytime flights, so a nap will suffice there. Time flies when you are sleeping, and I avoid inadvertently overeating and drinking out of boredom.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:33 pm

If I’m on UA, a quick drink helps overcome the inevitable delays and awful service, but that’s just me and 20 colleagues who avoid them as much as possible. My brother loves them, too.

ACCS300

Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:32 pm

On long-haul, remove contacts prior to first meal service, put them back in 2 hours before landing. One glass of red-wine with first meal service. Photos of meals.

767333ER

Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:43 pm

When booking avoid 737s and look for short haul widebodies. Before a flight in the morning get an espresso. If I’m on standby sit and hope I get on unless the load is good. Get another coffee once drinks service starts (unless the seatbelt sign is on... I hate this policy on Air Canada). If the flight is long enough for food for purchase I’ll buy a meal. When the flight is done I’ll punch it in my flight memory then get off and get on with my day usually somewhere nice than where I live!
Been on: 732 733 734 73G 738 752 763 A319 A320 A321 CRJ CR7 CRA/CR9 E145 E175 E190 F28 MD-82 MD-83 C172R C172S P2006T

klm617

Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:29 am

I make sure that my flight does not require a connection in Atlanta. Don't like doing the 40 yard dash every time just to make sure my seat isn't given away. While Atlanta might be a great airport if your trip starts and ends there but as a hub is like playing Russian Roulette.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

TheWorm123

Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:35 pm

I spend time studying crashes and aviation safety, but I’m an anxious flyer during the takeoff sequence.

As such one of my worst habits is mentally reciting the most fatal and well known crashes of the plane I’m currently on.

For example flying on an A330 in August at night over a dark ocean I kept thinking about AF447, on the 757 I was thinking of Aeroperu 603 and Birgenair.

But I also know how safe aviation is and I have a knowledge of the safety record of the types, so I also remind myself of that.
752 753 A332

MrBretz

Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:40 am

TheWorm123 wrote:
I spend time studying crashes and aviation safety, but I’m an anxious flyer during the takeoff sequence.

As such one of my worst habits is mentally reciting the most fatal and well known crashes of the plane I’m currently on.

For example flying on an A330 in August at night over a dark ocean I kept thinking about AF447, on the 757 I was thinking of Aeroperu 603 and Birgenair.

But I also know how safe aviation is and I have a knowledge of the safety record of the types, so I also remind myself of that.

Have you heard of Xanax? It might help you.

Coal

Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:14 am

Depending on airport...:

(1) Minimizing time at the airport, e.g. arriving 20-30 mins before int'l flight and boarding just before final call
(2) Eating in the lounge (if food is relatively good) instead of on the plane to maximize work time on the plane
(3) Have one alcoholic drink at the lounge on a Thursday or Friday night flight back home
(4) Always book the seat closest to the front of the cabin to beat potential long lines at immigration (+ always use the APEC/diplomatic/Priority channels)
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN

bennett123

Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:53 am

Arrive in plenty of time, (if possible).

Go airside early.

Fly through Duty Free.

Get camera out.

Happy days.

If it is an early flight, do eating/shopping before sun up.

On plane

Eat food if offered, consider if BOB.

Drink juice.

Look out of window.

On arrival

Probably one of the last off, taking pictures.

Make way to carousel, taking pictures.

Catch up when I get to the carousel with those who pushed to get off first.

TheWorm123

Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:38 am

MrBretz wrote:
TheWorm123 wrote:

Have you heard of Xanax? It might help you.

I just cling onto the handle of the seat in front, it’s my anxiety disorder that brings those thoughts up, but my rational mind easily dispels them quite quickly.

The part I physically don’t like is the climb to cruise because taking off out of MAN the pilot immediately did a banking turn which threw me a bit.
752 753 A332

ricport

Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:13 pm

One of my routines is to immediately pull out my travel pack of Clorox wipes upon taking my seat and thoroughly wipe down the tray table, seat pocket, armrest, buttons, overhead vent & light, and window shade. You should see what color the cloth is when I'm done...

timh4000

Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:00 pm

TheWorm123 wrote:

f I may ask... why in God's name do you study aviation disasters, at all??? Due to the modern safety and success rate of air travel, I have no anxiety about flying, AND in general I suffer from bouts of random anxiety disorder in the form of intense panic attacks. Certain things do trigger it, but sometimes they happen randomly on their own. My subconscious tends to work overtime I guess.

I've read articles and watched videos of aviation disasters, not too often, and certainly NOT before I fly. I enjoy being in the air so the last thing I am going to do is create a flying trigger.

Early in my adulthood serving in the USAF when I would say I was maybe considered to be a semi frequent flyer I do remember the initial climb out did make me slightly nervous. Only the 1st minute or 2 when the deck angle is typically 15-20°. To me it felt steeper and that the pilots were right on the line for stalling out. As a medic serving in Germany I was able to talk to pilots and was corrected and my discomfort quickly gave way to enjoying that as well.

My 2 pieces of advice is to avoid looking up crashes period, but especially b4 flying. 2nd, a mild anti anxiety medicine. Maybe .5 mg of ativan Just before boarding. Or whatever works for you.

TheWorm123

Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:34 pm

timh4000 wrote:
TheWorm123 wrote:

f I may ask... why in God's name do you study aviation disasters, at all??? Due to the modern safety and success rate of air travel, I have no anxiety about flying, AND in general I suffer from bouts of random anxiety disorder in the form of intense panic attacks. Certain things do trigger it, but sometimes they happen randomly on their own. My subconscious tends to work overtime I guess.

I've read articles and watched videos of aviation disasters, not too often, and certainly NOT before I fly. I enjoy being in the air so the last thing I am going to do is create a flying trigger.

Early in my adulthood serving in the USAF when I would say I was maybe considered to be a semi frequent flyer I do remember the initial climb out did make me slightly nervous. Only the 1st minute or 2 when the deck angle is typically 15-20°. To me it felt steeper and that the pilots were right on the line for stalling out. As a medic serving in Germany I was able to talk to pilots and was corrected and my discomfort quickly gave way to enjoying that as well.

My 2 pieces of advice is to avoid looking up crashes period, but especially b4 flying. 2nd, a mild anti anxiety medicine. Maybe .5 mg of ativan Just before boarding. Or whatever works for you.

Knowing what happened after each crash to improve aviation safety’ in the years after actually makes me feel better about it and I find it an interesting topic.

I blame Air Crash Investigation/Mayday!

I don’t have anxiety to the point of having an attack, it’s just the immediate bank after takeoff that throws me. Once we’re almost at cruising altitude, I’m totally fine.
752 753 A332

JoannaLee

Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:13 am

When I fly, I like to watch movies.
Especially science fiction, watching science fiction in the sky is very exciting.

timh4000

Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:17 am

Theworm123- a lot of people who enjoy flying overall might have a particular part that makes them uneasy, and if it is something that happens frequently like immediate turns after take off during the initial climb out, or turbulence but are otherwise ok with flying should try to focus on those moments during flight since you are likely to encounter them. Still, it just doesn't sound like a good idea to watch them just prior to flying. I don't, I rarely watch them although I will on occasion, but certainly not right before a flight. But to each the ir own.

I've said it before that many non frequent flyers are probably not comfortable in the air, they, especially men just won't say they are. Pride is what it is no big deal really. I think those that have such a fear or phobia of flying to the point they refuse to fly if anything else makes there life more difficult and time spent traveling if its say across the country they really aren't saving much by that time. If any. And it adds up miles on their vehicle pretty quick. Spending 3 days Instead of 6 or 7 hrs, adding in tsa and driving to the airport and back.i would at least want to get it to the point where it's tolerable. I personally believe people should not let irrational fears run their lives.

N14AZ

Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:24 pm

JoannaLee wrote:
When I fly, I like to watch movies.
Especially science fiction, watching science fiction in the sky is very exciting.

What about this movie?
Source and some other recommendations: https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/ ... index.html

Coal wrote:
Minimizing time at the airport, e.g. arriving 20-30 mins before int'l flight and boarding just before final call

bennett123 wrote:
Arrive in plenty of time, (if possible). Go airside early.

Hmmm, we are all sooooooo different.

Like Bennett, I always try to arrive early at the airport so that I can enjoy my time in my favorite lounge in Frankfurt. Since I usually leave for a two-weeks business trip to completely different regions, I really love to eat some sausages for the last time. I eat prefer to eat in the lounge and to sleep in the plane in preparation of the different time zone (six to seven hours ahead of my normal time).

LH748

Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:24 pm

I take a tissue and wipe the window clean from all the smudges that are on it. It's rather disgusting how dirty the windows are and it really disturbs my view outside.
306 310 318 319 320 321 333 343 388 ATR72 733 737 738 739 743 744 748 752 753 763 764 772 77W 788 CRJ7 CRJ9 E170 F100 MD11 RJ1H
AA AB AC AF AK AZ BA DE DL EW FD FR HF HG IB IR MF KU LH LT LX OD TG TK TP UA VJ VN WN W6 YP YW

TheWorm123

Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:25 pm

LH748 wrote:
I take a tissue and wipe the window clean from all the smudges that are on it. It's rather disgusting how dirty the windows are and it really disturbs my view outside.

I was trying to take a picture out of a 757 window of a nice looking cloud formation with the sun breaking through over the Atlantic, but I didn’t notice the window was very scratched outside until I took the photo.

Not really much of a surprise though thinking about it, the 757 was 31.
752 753 A332

Varsity1

Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:15 pm

Arrive early, try to locate the cleanest Starbucks, on the flight after the seatbelt sign is off I wander around the cabin surveying which lavs are the cleanest if it's a wide body I'll usually take a lap around the entire airplane when I get back to my seat I clean it thoroughly with a wipe when the drink service starts I drink water with no ice because it hurts my teeth and I make sure to get refills because I don't like drinking out of the bottle they sometimes try to give me it could be dirty.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

FriscoHeavy

Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:45 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
Arrive early, try to locate the cleanest Starbucks, on the flight after the seatbelt sign is off I wander around the cabin surveying which lavs are the cleanest if it's a wide body I'll usually take a lap around the entire airplane when I get back to my seat I clean it thoroughly with a wipe when the drink service starts I drink water with no ice because it hurts my teeth and I make sure to get refills because I don't like drinking out of the bottle they sometimes try to give me it could be dirty.

That’s the longest run-on sentence in human history. Shaking my head....
Whatever

Airstud

Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:59 am

United787 wrote:

Chiefly, avoiding United.
Pancakes are delicious.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:51 pm

Airstud wrote:
United787 wrote:

Chiefly, avoiding United.

True, dat! UA is horrible in most of friends’ my experiences. My brother is high miler there and loves them.

Braniff1

Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:27 pm

Plan my meals prior to long (eight plus hours) flights, nothing heavy the night before...I hate those things called lavatories. I'll walk before getting on a united flight.