richiemo
Topic Author

EWR Term A - Joke

Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:24 pm

I fly United Express a lot and therefore fly in and out of Term A in EWR. The time to get through security there is a joke. They are by far the longest lines I see anywhere in the country (relative to the length of time it takes.) I can pass through ATL quicker, and certainly Term C in EWR quicker. I know that Term A is outdated, that the long hallway to the outdated Term A satellites provides limited space for security set-ups. But here's the thing, they have like four of them, and at least whenever I travel, it seems only one is open. I flew early last week, with a flight departing 8:30 am. I walked into the terminal an hour before, and interestingly there was no line where the guy was checking my ID and boarding pass. But by the time I walked all the way down to the screening process, it took a half-hour to get through it. It was ridiculous. By and large I've been impressed with how well TSA moves people through the various airport checkpoints. But EWR Term A hasn't gotten with the times.

atlflyer

Re: EWR Term A - Joke

Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:39 pm

That’s why Terminal A is being demolished and replaced with Terminal One.

https://www.ewrredevelopment.com/

richiemo
Topic Author

Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:01 pm

Maybe so, but still no excuse for them not to open more of the security checkpoints NOW.

Moosefire

Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:36 pm

Im there twice a week. Aside from the checkpoint (get precheck) I wouldn't call I an unpleasant experience. The food court alone (with real, accessible brands) is a pleasant alternative to C with over-priced, underwhelming OTG concept restaurants and ipads everywhere!
MD-11F/C-17A Pilot

timh4000

Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:32 pm

Most people I've talked to who fly through EWR generally find it to be among their least favorite airports so I'm not surprised their security efficiency is substandard. I have only flown out of there once in early 87. It was a direct to SFO I can't recall having any serious issues. I do recall a general feeling of it being outdated but I was fairly new to flying and only had a half dozen or maybe a cpl more airports I had flown from at the time.

Side note-
I was on a 747 which back then were often used for transcon flights

sprxUSA

Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:25 pm

Is it possible to clear TSA at Terminal C then take a shuttle to A?
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"

PSAatSAN4Ever

Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:05 pm

sprxUSA wrote:

No. There is no airside connection between the three terminals.

There is literally no worse airport in existence for clearing security than EWR. I have stood in lines that haven't moved because they are "short security personnel". So therefore, NO ONE is getting on any planes. Other airports might be working at capacity, but not EWR. Nope! That one you roll the dice and take your chances.

Best advice: get there two hours early and pray.

ironyClad

Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:28 am

I have read something about a shuttle between the terminals, but I was unable to find it when I passed through recently.

I was shocked to find that I had to clear security again, and even more shocked when I saw what TSA Pre helped me avoid.

The entire airport feels like it's been shoddily patched together for 50 years. Seeing exposed bolts in the floors and multiple layers of tile exposed was rather third world.

Insertnamehere

Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:00 pm

EWR is probably the worst airport in the country, perfect for New Jersey.

Nicknuzzii

Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:34 pm

sprxUSA wrote:

Yes, there is a bus.

flyer56

Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:09 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
sprxUSA wrote:

No. There is no airside connection between the three terminals.

There is literally no worse airport in existence for clearing security than EWR. I have stood in lines that haven't moved because they are "short security personnel". So therefore, NO ONE is getting on any planes. Other airports might be working at capacity, but not EWR. Nope! That one you roll the dice and take your chances.

I have entered through Terminal C and taken the airside shuttle to Terminal A. When you arrive internationally on United they even suggest this as it is faster.

jetwet1

Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:55 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

I would argue the TBIT during the evening push is as bad, they really needed to do something with the security set up during the remodel.

N649DL

Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:02 am

It's a P.O.S. for sure but I've had my fair share of nostalgia flying UA out of A-1 and AA out of A-3 over the years. I remember in 2000-2001 when UA took up all of A-1 and it was a dedicated satellite concourse for them. AA kept theirs up pretty well over the years but I haven't been there since they merged with US (and coincidentally eat up most of the A-3 concourse nowadays as a result.)