FatCat
Topic Author

Best Airline Europe <-> Asia

Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:47 am

So I have been assigned from the European to the Asian market.
This means I will have to travel *a lot* more between Europe and Asia: Seoul, Tokio, Osaka, Peking and Shangai are the focus cities.
In the past I've always flown LH and AZ to Seoul and Tokio. But one / max two trips per year. LH hubs MUC and FRA are very well connected from my area, but we also have connections to MAD, CPH, FCO, ZRH and CDG.
Based on your experiences, which Airline is better for such long trips? LH's not bad, plus the A346 and B748 are still in service.
Never flown on ANA or Asiana or KAL for example...
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

VSMUT

Re: Best Airline Europe <-> Asia

Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:50 am

What class? Business or economy?

FatCat
Topic Author

Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:10 am

Economy. Company policy wouldn't let us standard people fly in Business... only real fat cats can :-D
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

VSMUT

Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:33 am

FatCat wrote:
Economy. Company policy wouldn't let us standard people fly in Business... only real fat cats can :-D

Can't really help you with the onboard product then, but if you choose an EU airline, you will be fully covered by EU261. That would be pretty relevant to me.

I would also look up the best frequent flyer programs, so you can get a chance of upgrading or at least use the lounge.

blandy62

Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:09 am

SQ

conaly

Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:59 pm

If you want to avoid the European airlines and are not bound by any alliance, use some of the big carriers of your destination. For example for Japan ANA and JAL are both really good, even in economy. For Shanghai, maybe China Eastern, Cathay for Hong Kong, SQ for Singapore etc. Most of them are better than most EU-airlines. Just maybe better to avoid Air China, Korean Airlines and Asiana.

I personally do like Lufthansa and Swiss, even in economy. Definitely not the best, but they do fairly good compared to some other European legacy carriers (BA, I'm looking at you!). And with ZRH and MUC being some of the best airports to connect through, I'd say you'd also be fine with those two. And with EU-airlines you have the mentioned advantage in regards to EU261, which is valid for both ways, while with an Asian carrier it is only valid on the way to Asia, but not back to Europe.

I've heard Finnair has a pretty good network to Asia, but never flown with them.
Airports 2019: ADB, ALG, AMD, ATL, BOS, CTS, DEL, DTW, DUS, EWR, FRA, FUK, HAM, HIJ, HND, IST, JFK, MUC, NGO, NUE, OKA, PHL, SIN, STN, YYZ
Planned 2019: BOG, CDG, FRA, HFT, HVG, MUC, NUE, TOS, ZRH

FatCat
Topic Author

Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:17 pm

conaly wrote:
If you want to avoid the European airlines and are not bound by any alliance, use some of the big carriers of your destination. For example for Japan ANA and JAL are both really good, even in economy. For Shanghai, maybe China Eastern, Cathay for Hong Kong, SQ for Singapore etc. Most of them are better than most EU-airlines. Just maybe better to avoid Air China, Korean Airlines and Asiana.

I personally do like Lufthansa and Swiss, even in economy. Definitely not the best, but they do fairly good compared to some other European legacy carriers (BA, I'm looking at you!). And with ZRH and MUC being some of the best airports to connect through, I'd say you'd also be fine with those two. And with EU-airlines you have the mentioned advantage in regards to EU261, which is valid for both ways, while with an Asian carrier it is only valid on the way to Asia, but not back to Europe.

I've heard Finnair has a pretty good network to Asia, but never flown with them.

Thanks mate!
Yes I've already flown with LH. Nice, and - as said before - they have pretty interesting birds too.
All the others are B77W (booooring :-D ). Being an aviation enthusiast, this matters!
Never flown with Asiana: why you say they have to be avoided?
BA's out of the game. Connecting in LHR can hurt pretty bad, as it is FRA. MUC and ZRH way better.
I was looking also at Emirates and Qatar: both have pretty nice connections from BLQ (DXB; B77W) and PSA (DOH; A320). I've flown Emirates before and the experience was mildly satisfactory - but that A388 was really, really packed.
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

masgniw

Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:24 pm

I’m a big fan of JAL. Comfy planes, exceptional food, and superior service, even in economy. Hands down the best I’ve experienced. Connections and times might not be as good as LH, but that’s just a guess.

Tabito

Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:07 pm

For Europe-Japan route,
I like VIE, BRU and DUS for transit point with ANA's NRT/HND-VIE/BRU/DUS or Austrian's NRT-VIE.
Thanks to LH/LX/NH/OS joint venture, there are many choice of routing in the same price range.
ANA: Better catering, Cleanness of cabin and lavatory, Friendly crew.
Austrian: Good catering, convenient connection at VIE.

I also recommend Finnair/JAL combination via HEL.
Economy class seat of JAL 777, 787-8 and 787-9 are far better than ANA and others.
I like short flight time between Helsinki and Japan.
HEL-NRT/KIX/NGO are about 9h30-45m, HEL-CTS is only 9h.
JAL: Best economy class seat, Polite crew.
Finnair: Well cover network for Japan (CTS/NRT/NGO/KIX/FUK and HND soon) .

PatrickZ80

Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:00 pm

What about KLM? They have a pretty extensive Asian network from their hub in Amsterdam, at least they serve all of the focus cities which you mentioned. Service is always very good on KLM.

Muttel

Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:50 pm

As mentioned earlier, Finnair has a good network through HEL. Another option would be SAS through Copenhagen or Stockholm.