ChinusGomes
Topic Author

Psychology in aviation

Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:34 pm

Hi Everyone, I’m a psychology student and I would like to ask those of you for help who work in aviation.

I am trying to gather the attitudes towards regular psychological assessment, mainly to further increase the safety of aviation. I believe that most people who work in this field have physiological examinations fairly regularly, but these often don’t include psychological testing. It would help me tremendously if you could tell me:

the specific way your job connects to aviation

the ways and frequency of psychological examinations and

your thoughts about making psychological exams a regular part of the physiological ones.

I am also interested in your attitudes towards aviation in the first place, and if you are passionate about your job.

Thank you so much in advance, it really does help me out!

ParkFSI

Re: Psychology in aviation

Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:27 pm

Hello,
I’ve been involved in training commercial pilot’s for about 30 years and I DON’T KNOW EVERYTHING. But from what I’ve heard, experienced there is no formal psychological assessment or evaluation.
There could be operator’s that might have a in-house program, maybe the airmen medical examiner observes their behavior ? And there is fellow crew members that may notice unusual behavior but there is no psychological assessment that I know of.
It’s rare but there has been some horrible accidents purposely caused by crew members, I don’t think a psychological assessment is necessary.
You asked how we like our job ? I could have made a decision or two to increase my income but basically I wouldn’t change a thing. We I started there was no pilot shortage, so there was some tuff times but I have had a great time.

CosmicCruiser

Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:14 pm

we had a psychological "interview" as part of the 3 day interview process. I think it has since gone away but if a crewmember has a trend of CRM issues there have been cases of them having to go to a "charm school" before they can return to flying.

Max Q

Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:10 am

If pilots with dubious psychological behavior were grounded you’d have to shut down half the industry !
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:54 pm

CosmicCruiser wrote:
we had a psychological "interview" as part of the 3 day interview process. I think it has since gone away but if a crewmember has a trend of CRM issues there have been cases of them having to go to a "charm school" before they can return to flying.

If my guess correct, said doctor committed suicide, so we see how that worked out. He of the rocking chair. Dr. Jerry Berlin did a lot of work for the IDF using psychology to help select fighter pilots, but the parameters were far different—aggressiveness, lack of empathy, etc exclusive to a competitive combat profile.

timh4000

Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:48 pm

Max Q wrote:
If pilots with dubious psychological behavior were grounded you’d have to shut down half the industry !

What would you describe as dubious?

miyabhai101

Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:40 am

Or under a bridge...I understand some are very nice and you meet interesting people. Regrettably most pilots have concerns about dealing with people that could end their career with a few words. I think if the right changes could be made it could be very valuable...I have known pilots with real issues and they might be happier and the people that deal with them might be happier if they were helped in making some changes.

I did have a frequent UA jumpseater years ago that had the paperwork to show you that he was "sane"...great guy!