WA707atMSP
Topic Author

Former US Armed Forces members want crackdown on fake "emotional support" animals

Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:21 pm

The New York Times had an article last week about how former armed forces members have joined flight attendants and other groups in requesting a major crackdown on fake "emotional support" animals.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/23/us/p ... erans.html

The armed forces members are concerned that the dreadful inflight behavior of fake "emotional support" animals could make it much harder for them to bring their trained, legitimate emotional support animals onto aircraft.

I really hope the US DOT listens to the concerns of our troops, and stops people from trying to pass their untrained pets off as "emotional support" animals!

TheWorm123

Re: Former US Armed Forces members want crackdown on fake "emotional support" animals

Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:34 pm

The range of animals people are trying to take on board is getting both ridiculous and to a degree laughable;

Emotional support Peacock
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42880690

Emotional support Snake
https://emborapets.com/how-to-register- ... n-3-steps/

Emotional support Squirrel
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/ ... 3223ae248a

Emotional support Hamster

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... et-florida

Emotional support Turkey/Christmas dinner

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newsto ... nimal.html

With a list of such stupid animals nobody can say it’s not a problem. I think it’s mostly people too cheap to pay for their pet to be shipped. It’s to easy to get a fake letter on the internet.
752 753 A332

scbriml

Re: Former US Armed Forces members want crackdown on fake "emotional support" animals

Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:38 pm

Well, I was recently bumped off WN with my ES giraffe. I can tell you, I was not a happy camper.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

dtw2hyd

Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:00 pm

Great, another booming multi-billion dollar industry to train and certify ESAs. Those 100 Million dogs won't certify themselves and it is not easy to train a Honeybadger.

Seabear

Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:20 pm

When did "emotional support animal" become a thing? How the h*ll did the human race manage to cope before small furry mammals became the fetish object du jour?

flyingcat

Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:33 pm

Seabear wrote:
When did "emotional support animal" become a thing? How the h*ll did the human race manage to cope before small furry mammals became the fetish object du jour?

When pet travel fees went up

dtw2hyd

Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:36 pm

Seabear wrote:

When talking to fellow humans became outdated. If a kid is shy, rather than teaching them to interact with other kids, just buy a dog. Pets itself became a huge industry.

Unless PETA calls this craziness borderline animal cruelty, I see no end to this booming business. Capitalism at its best.

tommy1808

Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:03 pm

Seabear wrote:
How the h*ll did the human race manage to cope before small furry mammals became the fetish object du jour?

For those with a legitimate support animals I don't know how they coped before, only that it was worse. And those trained animals don't bother anyone. Those that got themselves one for fashionable reasons should in deed be stumped out.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

Bingo1

Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:47 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Seabear wrote:

When talking to fellow humans became outdated. If a kid is shy, rather than teaching them to interact with other kids, just buy a dog. Pets itself became a huge industry.

Unless PETA calls this craziness borderline animal cruelty, I see no end to this booming business. Capitalism at its best.

Capitalism? Try over sensitive politically correct agendas but not capitalism.

I honestly feel for these vets and others with legitimate needs. This has got so crazy I'm waiting for some one to bring on some homemade moonshine and claim it as emotional support.
Planecrzy