EMBQA
Topic Author

AA Upgrade Insight

Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:11 pm

Can anyone offer some insight as when is the best time to buy a trip upgrade on AA...? We’re already booked next June to fly to Europe on an American 777-200 Premium Economy. I noticed a week ago they offered an upgrade to Business for $1100 each. When I looked today it was $1295 each. I’ve seen them change these prices all the time on other flights, but is there any insight..? What is the best day, best time..number of days out..? I’m pretty sure I want to do this as it will be the last time my Mother In-Law will be back in her home country, and after a 9 hour flight, we have a 3 hour drive to where we’re are staying so a good restful flight will be key.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

MAH4546

Re: AA Upgrade Insight

Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:14 pm

It's not an upgrade, it's the fare difference. There's no "best time." When you feel comfortable with the price, purchase it.
a.

EMBQA
Topic Author

Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:24 pm

I would call changing our class of service an upgrade.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

Antarius

Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:33 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
It's not an upgrade, it's the fare difference. There's no "best time." When you feel comfortable with the price, purchase it.

Not necessarily. AA now offers upgrade offers that may or may not be the same as the fare difference.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT BIS LHR TXL

UALeng

Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:41 pm

Really depends on the route. If its a market where AA often sells out the full front cabin due to business commuters, summer holiday destination, etc. I would not expect fares to drop much. As a general rule I would say you should not expect to see prices getting any lower once you're 6-8 weeks or less from departure. Sometimes crazy stuff happens though, and airlines are very fluid. Blogs like ThePointsGuy are always finding impressive flash sales (granted that's not what you're after in this case)

Honestly if you're really motivated, there are some cards you could open and if you put a couple thousand in purchases on one within the next month or two, you can get tons of points that are redeemable for business class tickets. TPG has good articles on their website covering the best ones this year. If they're purchases you were already going to make anyway, then the tickets are "free". My airline coworkers do it often

11C

Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:43 pm

A thread for this?

stl07

Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:47 am

11C wrote:
A thread for this?

you are free not to click on it
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

EMBQA
Topic Author

Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:58 am

I am asking is there any pattern/science to when they change the pricing.? You know, Wednesday is the best day to book theory.

11C

Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:35 pm

stl07 wrote:
11C wrote:
A thread for this?

you are free not to click on it

True, and it looks like lots of others are exercising that same freedom. Carry on....

lollyj

Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:46 pm

EMBQA wrote:
I am asking is there any pattern/science to when they change the pricing.? You know, Wednesday is the best day to book theory.

It's really going to be based on demand, not just random days when the price comes down. In practice, those theories are not really that accurate, airlines don't just arbitrarily choose a day to lower prices and generally their pricing is very much based on demand for that route on a certain day and time of year. Booking outside of peak travel periods and holidays tends to mean you'll get lower ticket prices as the demand isn't there, especially if you book relatively early. For example I once bought an open jaw ticket from EDI to JFK with Delta and then from SFO to EDI via AMS with KLM in August for £398, and I bought the ticket 9 months before travel.

Considering the price for the upgrade has already gone up, I would assume it'd go up further until the cabin is sold out so if you waited you might pay more for the upgrade/risk losing out on it if the cabin books up.

EMBQA
Topic Author

Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:24 pm

11C-

I expected a very limited amount of answers. I did a recent trip to Cancun and watched the price of the upgrade offer fluctuate up and down several times. Just asking if there is any rhyme or reason to it.? Any best day, any number of days out is the best to people that are frequent flyers and follow it too.

Oh, the Cancun flight..? Scored the upgrade for $90. CLT-CUN on an American A330, Buiness Class with the individual Pods

UALFAson

Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:10 pm

You're talking about going to Europe in June. The likelihood is very high that this flight is going to depart completely full in all classes. If you have the money and want to fly Business, I don't know that it's worth taking the risk of waiting much longer just to save $50 or $100 a person when you're already talking about $1100 plus whatever you spent on the original Premium Economy seat. I think you're being penny wise and pound foolish.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

EMBQA
Topic Author

Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:50 pm

So... the price more then doubled overnight. I've been checking this week and it has been....., $1165, $1295, $1165, $2699. (Why I actually started this thread..what is the science to this.? Is there any.?) I'm actually waiting for my AA Citi card to arrive so I can get the 50K miles. At $1100 I'd do it, but no higher. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it, and weigh my options as Iollyj said

blueflyer

Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:16 pm

EMBQA wrote:
So... the price more then doubled overnight. I've been checking this week and it has been....., $1165, $1295, $1165, $2699. (Why I actually started this thread..what is the science to this.? Is there any.?)

Seems like what they were setting the price at was the fare difference with the cheapest available business class seat... and someone has booked that seat. Now it's the fare difference with the next cheapest seat available.

AA tends to do fare difference offers, UA tends to do upgrade offers at less than the difference in fare. The key is AA gives you the miles of the cabin you fly in, United gives you the miles of the original cabin you booked into.
This space forcibly cleansed to protect truthers

EMBQA
Topic Author

Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:20 pm

Well, I did the upgrade. Noticed now its being markets as 'Flagship Business'..when before it was just 'Business Class'. Seating configuration didn't change. Whatever that means.?