Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BLRhiflier
Topic Author

Frenchbee ORY - PPT via SFO

Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:39 pm

Hi All,

On a recent flight to SFO on Frenchbee's ORY - PPT service (via SFO) , I noticed even pax bound for PPT had to clear immigration and then go to the departure gate to board the same aircraft. Why did they have to do that? Is it a US regulation because I didn't have to do that at HKG, FRA, CDG etc..
On another note , how is this route performing? The flight was full thought 85% of the passengers from ORY were bound for PPT.

Best regards,
Tej

KLMatSJC

Re: Frenchbee ORY - PPT via SFO

Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:41 pm

BLRhiflier wrote:
Why did they have to do that? Is it a US regulation

Yes
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B772/E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood

dcajet

Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:49 pm

BLRhiflier wrote:
Hi All,

On a recent flight to SFO on Frenchbee's ORY - PPT service (via SFO) , I noticed even pax bound for PPT had to clear immigration and then go to the departure gate to board the same aircraft. Why did they have to do that? Is it a US regulation because I didn't have to do that at HKG, FRA, CDG etc..

Best regards,
Tej

This US requirement began shortly after the Sept. 11 2001 events. No more TWOV (transit without visa) and all transit passengers must be processed by the US authorities before boarding the onward connection. It also happens for international connecting passengers at Mexican airports, I presume by a request of the US. I am not sure if it's the same in Canada or not.
Keep calm and wash your hands.

drdisque

Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:54 pm

dcajet wrote:
BLRhiflier wrote:
Hi All,

Best regards,
Tej

This US requirement began shortly after the Sept. 11 2001 events. No more TWOV (transit without visa) and all transit passengers must be processed by the US authorities before boarding the onward connection. It also happens for international connecting passengers at Mexican airports, I presume by a request of the US. I am not sure if it's the same in Canada or not.

In Canada, you can proceed directly to US Immigration and customs preclearance if you are on a 3rd country->Canada->US itinerary, but that's because there's Preclearance. If there wasn't Preclearance or if you enter at a Canadian point of Entry without Preclearance (the only realistic ones are YQB and YYT) then you do go through Canadian Immigration and Customs upon arrival in Canada even if transiting.

TWA772LR

Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:59 pm

Similar but different, I had to clear immigration in DUB on my way to LCY from HKG when flying CX then EI. Conversely I had to clear immigration in both LHR and DUB when flying IAH-LHR-DUB on UA then EI.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Aesma

Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:11 pm

Do you need ESTA for this flight ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

TWA772LR

Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:14 pm

Aesma wrote:

I believe you do on all flights to the US. You clear customs and immigration and actually enter the country. Then you go back through security.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

cedarjet

Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:10 pm

Aesma wrote:

Of course. You enter the USA. No different if you’re staying an hour or a month. If your citizenship requires a visa for the USA, you need that visa to take this flight.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

cedarjet

Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:12 pm

PS this is a major reason Air New Zealand are canning their London flight, because having to clear US formalities during the stop in LA makes them uncompetitive compared to ME3 and Asian carriers which are still one stop but pax can stay airside during the stop.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

lugie

Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:50 am

drdisque wrote:
dcajet wrote:
BLRhiflier wrote:
Hi All,

Best regards,
Tej

In Canada, you can proceed directly to US Immigration and customs preclearance if you are on a 3rd country->Canada->US itinerary, but that's because there's Preclearance. If there wasn't Preclearance or if you enter at a Canadian point of Entry without Preclearance (the only realistic ones are YQB and YYT) then you do go through Canadian Immigration and Customs upon arrival in Canada even if transiting.

Yes, on a 3rd country -> Canada -> US journey you can connect without clearing Canadian immigration (if that airport has US preclearance)

However, you will still need an eTA for Canada. You won't be allowed to board your flight at the origin if there is no currently valid eTA registered for the passport you travel on.

I assume they require this for every passenger (not just those boarding the Canada-bound flights with a Canadian destination in mind) to avoid trouble in case you miss your onward connection and have to go landside for a hotel stay, for example.
Q400 E175 E190 CRJ7 CRJ9 CRJX MD88 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A359 B733 B73G B738 B739 B748 B764 B772 B77W B788 B789
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW IAD YYZ SJO PTY

BLRhiflier
Topic Author

Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:06 am

thank you for the replies guys! So this was introduced post 9/11 but I wonder what layer of security this adds, if any.

Wednesdayite

Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:35 am

BLRhiflier wrote:
thank you for the replies guys! So this was introduced post 9/11 but I wonder what layer of security this adds, if any.

It adds security in that ESTA or a visa is required. So the U.S. can control who gets to be on a plane taking off from LAX bound for PPT.
A318/19/20/21/30/40. B717/27/37/47/57/67/77/87. CRJ2/7. ERJ145/175/190. FKR50. IL62. MD11/82/83/88. TU154.
AA AC AF AI AR AS AT AV AZ BA BW BY CO DA DL F9 FR JJ KL LH MA NW NZ OS RG SU TK U2 UA US VS WN

IADCA

Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:31 pm

BLRhiflier wrote:

Consider how the 9/11 attacks were carried out. Then consider that this measure - requiring immigration checks, and thus ESTA or visas - ensures that the US receives a complete data set of who will be on US-bound flights in a computer-readable format well before the flights take off, as well as being able to run algorithms to detect patterns in that data (repeated incidents of the same unrelated individuals on the same flights, for example). It's not really about the border crossing. That just allows them to justify collecting and keeping the data.