Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

timh4000
Topic Author

AA, the tale of the best and worst of this airline

Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:53 am

Just getting back from a 3 day trip up in good old NYS. On the way up was a nightmare. Originally planned with very convenient flight times, upon arriving at the airport, delayed approx 45 minutes. Eh, not really the end of the world but it would have had me scrambling to catch my connecting flight from PHL TO ALB. But delayed again and again. My saving grace is AA runs several flights a day to ALB from Philadelphia. And I would need their very last flight of the day as eventually my flight out of ORF got canceled. Rebooked for both to PHL and ALB, The second attempt was also significantly delayed. Weather was not a factor in the delays, and AA was not offering any explanation to the problems suffice to say I could have driven from Virginia quicker than it took me by air, and it cancelled out plans I had for the day as I was supposed to be in NY by mid afternoon.

3 days later, and leery of what was to come, both flights were on time, and service was far better on each flight. 2 firsts for me on the way back, my 1st time in a crj-200. not exactly a thrill to be on this plane but still, a 1st nonetheless. 2nd, my first time in Reagan national. For those of you who have flown into this airport, what a wonderful landing. I was looking for monuments as we came in and I was able to see Arlington, the Washington monument and as we were on final, by this point maybe, probably less than a thousand feet up and there goes the Pentagon right before my eyes. Excuse my ignorance, but I didn't know DCA was so close to the Pentagon. Just after passing that I get a glimpse of a runway, but at 45 degrees if not more, I wasnt expecting that to be our runway. Yet, with just maybe 500 ft up a beautiful right bank and a real quick line up and wheels down. I've never banked so low before, landing or on take off, maybe close on take off but definitely not as low.

The point of my experience? If flying north had been my 1st time on AA I'd never get near them again. On the way back home, what a great airline. Would look to book more flights and would highly recommend. Anyone else have similar experiences with seeing the best and worst of an airline in just a few days?

IPFreely

Re: AA, the tale of the best and worst of this airline

Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:42 am

timh4000 wrote:
The point of my experience? If flying north had been my 1st time on AA I'd never get near them again. On the way back home, what a great airline. Would look to book more flights and would highly recommend. Anyone else have similar experiences with seeing the best and worst of an airline in just a few days?

Lots of drama about an extremely small sample size of one short haul regional airline round trip.

767333ER

Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:22 am

So you didn’t even fly on American Airlines then if I understand correctly?
Been on: 732 733 734 73G 738 752 763 A319 A320 A321 CRJ CR7 CRA/CR9 E145 E175 E190 F28 MD-82 MD-83 C172R C172S P2006T PA-28-180

2 ears for spatial hearing, 2 eyes for depth perception, 2 ears for balance... How did Boeing think 1 sensor was good enough?!

timh4000
Topic Author

Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:32 am

How so? AA still overall owns Piedmont. AA Express.... still get miles put on the card.... the plane had AA on it...

timh4000
Topic Author

Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:35 am

IPFreely wrote:
timh4000 wrote:

Lots of drama about an extremely small sample size of one short haul regional airline round trip.

Obviously- but my point was not about me bashing AA or commending them, just that I got too completely different experiences 180° apart in just a few days and has anyone else ever experienced this.

mchei

Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:31 am

This is what happens at Lufthansa every time I fly with them, which I do regularly.
It can be a nightmare, it can be perfect - on the same day. Sh*t does happen.
But to be honest, the same applies for the car, the train or the bus
F70-F100-E145-E170-E190-319-320-321-735–736-737-738-752-763–742-744-333-343-ATR72-Metroliner-Saab2000-Lockheed Electra-C172-C182-C182RG-MD11

IPFreely

Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:11 am

timh4000 wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
timh4000 wrote:

Obviously- but my point was not about me bashing AA or commending them, just that I got too completely different experiences 180° apart in just a few days and has anyone else ever experienced this.

So one trip on a regional airline carrier where you got delayed, and that would be enough to never go near them again?
And one trip that appears to be pretty basic regional flights operating presumably on time and you would try to book more flights and highly recommend them?

I'm not sure which regional airline you flew but if I randomly look at Skywest -- which flies as American Eagle, United Express, and Delta Connection -- yesterday they operated about 2,400 flights on time, 340 late, and 24 cancelled. The "best" and the "worst" both occur pretty much every day for every airline.

timh4000
Topic Author

Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:08 am

I was speaking more in terms of hypothetical. In fact I did set it up as a hypothetical 1st time flier. When I was undergoing cancer treatment in Philadelphia I took about 20 flights from ALB-PHL and back. All on American eagle, all on a ERJ145. So I am aware that "things happen " again, I was speaking of a hypothetical and not necessarily me even, although I made it sound that way, I probably should have been more clear of the hypothetical, however the question at the end of my post still stands.

timh4000
Topic Author

Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:13 am

Btw, its piedmont which operates the ALB-PHL flights in this region. Not sure who else piedmont operates. I know there are several companies that operate these on average 1 hr or less regionals.

AirAfreak

Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:31 am

Truthfully, I have avoided American Airlines for about 18 years because a flight attendant couldn’t be bothered by my request for a canned soft drink to take off the plane at 5 a.m. in Dallas. This broad had the nerve to suggest I should go and purchase a beverage inside the terminal upon deplaning, but I quickly shut her down when I asked her to name one concession open before 6 a.m. at DFW; this was in 2001. She finally went to the galley to grab me a can of soda after a few fellow passengers asked her what the hell was her problem.

On the other hand, prior to that LAXDFW flight, I’ve had the privilege to enjoy such extraordinary passenger service on the multiple AA DC-10 IAD-LAX-IAD flights I’ve taken and also onboard the new 767-300 aircraft purchased by American Airlines on a LAX-EWR flight. I’ve had only great experiences with American Airlines throughout the 1990’s, but that awful witch on her broom onboard that red-eye flight in 2001, combined with more news regarding a higher number of negative onboard passenger service experience than the positive stories with American Airlines makes me say, “hell no” to any transaction with post-2001 American Airlines.

If you’ve experienced the glory and the beauty of pre-2001 American Airlines, believe me, you’d be an idiot to not agree that American Airlines post-2001 is garbage because they’ve lost their drive to return to their former glory. They have no right to sue DELTA for using the term, “Flagship” because those glory days of “LuxuryLiner” and “Flagship Service” are absolutely over.
Korean Air | Excellence in Flight.

timh4000
Topic Author

Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:49 am

Perhaps by my title it is causing some to go far deeper than I intended the thread to be. Merely that in the space of a few days to get a 180 from the same airline.

Airstud

Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:37 am

I haven't taken American Airlines since 1977. :talktothehand:
Pancakes are delicious.

timh4000
Topic Author

Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:58 pm

Airstud wrote:
I haven't taken American Airlines since 1977. :talktothehand:

Any particular reasons?

DeltaMD90

Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:18 am

I'm just trying to get over this:

timh4000 wrote:
my 1st time in a crj-200. not exactly a thrill to be on this plane but still, a 1st nonetheless.

I envy you lol

maps4ltd

Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:10 am

So the routing (if I understand correctly) was:

ORF-PHL-ALB
ALB-DCA-ORF

All on Eagle?
Next flights:
Who knows? :/

timh4000
Topic Author

Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:31 pm

Yes, all on eagle. 2 were ERJ145's ORF TO PHL which was on a CRJ900 and coming home from DCA-ORF was a crj 200. PSA operated the CRJ's, Piedmont operated the ERJ's. Whether that is always the case idk, but that was how it turned out on this trip.

IAHWorldflyer

Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:27 pm

Whether or not a flight is operated by American Airlines, Inc., or one of it's contracted American Eagle partners is irrelevant to the average flier. When a business slaps their trademarked name on the side of an aircraft, they are taking branding ownership of that service they are contracting someone else to provide for their customers.
I presume the OP purchased his flights on the AA website, and his credit card was billed by AA. Let's not nitpick his terminology. And yes, it was a small sample size. But it's often said that a person or business only gets one chance to make a first impression.

timh4000
Topic Author

Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:00 am

IAHWorldflyer wrote:
Whether or not a flight is operated by American Airlines, Inc., or one of it's contracted American Eagle partners is irrelevant to the average flier. When a business slaps their trademarked name on the side of an aircraft, they are taking branding ownership of that service they are contracting someone else to provide for their customers.
I presume the OP purchased his flights on the AA website, and his credit card was billed by AA. Let's not nitpick his terminology. And yes, it was a small sample size. But it's often said that a person or business only gets one chance to make a first impression.

Exactly. I was more thinking in 3rd person. And that the average non aviation nut whose taking a connection. But equally too, just because I have slightly more knowledge and flown maybe a bit more than most that I know, the mere fact is that I experienced the best and the worst. And, ultimately I feel that AA is still ultimately responsible for these regional flights. Btw, i didn't use the AA website i think i purchased through Expedia, so I'll have to look to see who bills me the trip. But, for the uninformed masses who've maybe taken a dozen flights in their lives, if that and a jet that is decked out with AA the flight attendant announces American Airlines and you get mileage points for the trip. As far as they are concerned they flew on AA.