Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dfwjim1
Topic Author

Adult only flights - possibility

Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:58 pm

Yesterday I flew back from SFO to FLL on a Jet Blue flight and there were a bunch of screaming/crying babies and some very talkative teenagers aboard. I like children and young people so it didn't bother me at all but I wonder if there is a market for flights that cater to those who are 18 years or older that wish to have some peace and quiet on their flight.

Not sure if something like this is even feasible so wanted to get some opinions on the topic

alan3

Re: Adult only flights - possibility

Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:09 pm

Haven't heard talk of the entire flight being adults only but every now and then you see articles musing about there being "family sections" on the plane like the last 10 rows being for families. But on some aircraft the bassinet seats are the first row bulkhead which complicates matters. I also can't imagine all families agreeing to be quarantined, they would probably sue.

I could maybe see it on a business heavy route like to New York, but hard to imagine on a sun flight to somewhere like FLL or MCO. FLL is a major gateway for families going on cruises.

It's a tough call because there are well behaved kids and badly behaved adults. Personally, I'd rather sit behind a quiet child than an adult who fully reclines their seat into my lap, making me claustrophobic!

FGITD

Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:12 pm

I get the feeling this is one of those ideas that would appeal to a vast number of members on this site, but an extremely small number out in the real world.

For one thing, those seeking a quiet cabin already have that option...it just costs more and is called "business class."

Also the fact that age doesn't determine a thing when it comes to noise. I've sat next to children and teens who didn't make a peep, and I've sat next to older folk who wouldn't shut up. Personal experience only, but I've noticed that younger people tend to be quieter than the older people these days.

And beyond that, most people just like to travel with their families...children included.

rlwynn

Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:34 pm

Charter a plane if you cannot deal with it.
I can drive faster than you

zrs70

Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:48 pm

I can see it now. Mr. Smith’s and junior are traveling and their flight is cancelled. The agent says, “Well, we do have another flight in an hour, but it’s an adult only flight. So we will put you on tomorrow’s instead.”

I am more annoyed by loud adults than I am by noisy children on planes.
20 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2020

janders

Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:39 am

From what I recall such would be illegal for a public airline involved in interstate commerce as its clearly discriminatory. One could however have a private charter that defines who can be eligible.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

B747forever

Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:10 am

Doubt there ever will be any airline that will ban a specific group of passengers from flying with them. The closest thing you can get to your idea is what JAL currently has, where they show on a seat map where toddlers under age 2 sit. Works like a charm, and don't know why more airlines don't introduce a similar function.
Work Hard, Fly Right

VSMUT

Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:44 am

B747forever wrote:
Doubt there ever will be any airline that will ban a specific group of passengers from flying with them. The closest thing you can get to your idea is what JAL currently has, where they show on a seat map where toddlers under age 2 sit. Works like a charm, and don't know why more airlines don't introduce a similar function.

There are a few that ban them from business class.

B747forever

Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:25 am

VSMUT wrote:
B747forever wrote:

Didn't know that. What airlines?

On further thought, I need to correct my statement regarding banning specific groups of pax. That already happens, such as Israeli citizens not able to fly on some Middle East airlines.
Work Hard, Fly Right

VSMUT

Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:38 am

B747forever wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
B747forever wrote:

Didn't know that. What airlines?

I think it was Thai and Malaysian. Received a lot of PR when they did it. I see that IndiGo has something similar set up.

ChrisKen

Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:24 pm

B747forever wrote:
On further thought, I need to correct my statement regarding banning specific groups of pax. That already happens, such as Israeli citizens not able to fly on some Middle East airlines.

Israel is not recognised by some others, therefore the Israeli passport isn't a valid travel document in those jurisdictions. They aren't banned, legally they don't exist. Subtle difference.

IPFreely

Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:06 am

Not adult only, but United used to offer men-only business flights. They were probably adult-only too, by default. Steak dinners, cigars, cocktails, and free golf balls. This wouldn't fly today, no pun intended, but such things were the norm in the pre-snowflake era:

https://fortune.com/2015/05/29/united-men-only-flights/

WesternDC6B

Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:10 am

What I would find appealing is international flights where you board, take off, get settled in, and can go to sleep. Not 45 minutes to an hour of credit card promotions, duty free cart, blah blah.
“Pedantic” defined: spelling “pedantic” “pædantic”.

ricport

Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:26 pm

I'd go out of my way to fly an airline like this. One thing I think airlines can do now is what they do on trains: establish a "quiet" section.

ExpatVet

Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:44 pm

Can I have a "no bachelor party" flight? I'd rather travel with a planeload of kids.
L101, 733/4/5/8/9, 741/2/3 (never managed 744!), MD 80/2/3/8/90, MD11, DHC8/3/Q4, E170, E195, 757, 77W, 763/4, Travel Air 2000. A300/310, A319/320/321, A333, ATR-72, probably a few others I forget. Passenger, not pilot, alas! BUD based.

VSMUT

Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:19 pm

ExpatVet wrote:
Can I have a "no bachelor party" flight? I'd rather travel with a planeload of kids.

Yes. Just don't fly Ryanair, EasyJet and Wizz Air.

dfwjim1
Topic Author

Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:16 am

IPFreely wrote:
Not adult only, but United used to offer men-only business flights. They were probably adult-only too, by default. Steak dinners, cigars, cocktails, and free golf balls. This wouldn't fly today, no pun intended, but such things were the norm in the pre-snowflake era:

Wow...no idea these types of flights once existed but they sounded great!

Friarboy

Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:34 pm

Just my opinion but the problem's not the kids themselves, the problem's the parents. Trip on WN from HOU to PIT earlier this month, several families were traveling together for a wedding and allowed their kids to actually lay in the aisle to color and play with their toy trucks- kicking my leg and blocking the path to the lav in the process. Never mind the kid's laying on the flow that's had god knows what on it.

Sub issue is the FA's not keeping the aisle clear- but this is mostly on the parents..

That said I'd take an adults only flight for sure.
Your signature's one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent signature, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this site's now dumber for having read it

crjflyboy

Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:36 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
IPFreely wrote:

Wow...no idea these types of flights once existed but they sounded great!

UAL operated them from LGA to ORD

https://viewfromthewing.com/united-airl ... e-service/

crjflyboy

Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:41 pm

I can not fathom how it illegal for a child to not be in a seat and buckled at 1 mph in a car, yet on an aircraft one does not need a seat, nor buckled up and can simply be held in a parents arms.

seat1a

Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:57 pm

Screaming babies, unruly kids, obnoxious high school and college kids? There are plenty of adults that are just as bad. Good luck with the business model, but private jets are a solution.

Solution: Noise cancelling headphones, Xanax, a dose of patience. Perhaps a PSA asking everyone who flies to just sit quietly for two to four hours.

zakuivcustom

Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:41 pm

IPFreely wrote:

Definitely a different age. Of course, flying was also a lot more exclusives back in 1960s/70s.

As for Adult Only flight - as other have already said, there are many times where some drunk dude in 30s/40s behave a lot worse than little kids. You're bound to have a fair amount of younger people during Summer and Winter Break (aka right now) to vacation destination (Which FLL is definitely one) also.

FGITD wrote:
I get the feeling this is one of those ideas that would appeal to a vast number of members on this site, but an extremely small number out in the real world.

This is probably the same place where they think a "Social Credit"-like system like they have in PRC would be a great idea as it banned the "lower class/undesirables" from getting on a plane.

dfwjim1
Topic Author

Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:38 pm

This is probably the same place where they think a "Social Credit"-like system like they have in PRC would be a great idea as it banned the "lower class/undesirables" from getting on a plane.[/quote]

If enacted in the United States Spirit Airlines would be out of business in about a week...LOL