timh4000
Topic Author

Will the modern day planes get the same send off

Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:20 am

For many of us middle age or older, we are enduring and have had to endure a lot of aircraft retirements and we are sad to see them go. The 727, the DC-10, the DC-9 even though there is the MD-80 family and the 717, much like the DC-9 all those are slated for retirement in the coming few years, as is the 747. At least we will still get to see her in the sky for the next couple of decades. The same also being said of the DC10 now in the form of the MD10, 11. the L-1011. Not even a cargo version for that one. I think NASA uses one or is it 2 for testing purposes. Not sure what NASA gets from a fully retired airliner. The A340's time is limited. The 757 has only a few more years.

Every one of these planes that have or are retiring has in my eyes at least uniqueness. What about the A350's, the 787's in say 30 or 40 years from now?

The end of the uniquely designed air craft is just a matter of years now, 5, maybe a couple more, with exception to the A380 which due to the numbers of planes in the sky and that many will still be only several years old as the last of the remaining unique planes. So let's really stretch it out till 2030 by then, every pax plane in the sky will have a nearly identical look to them. (Consider the average consumer and how they will view these planes, the avgeek sees these planes in more detail. Even so, those who's interest in aviation is just forming or perhaps they've had it since childhood, will there be the emotional aspect when they are retiring planes that look just about the same? And their performance being close to each other. I personally wouldn't get very sad about it, so long as the next clean sheet even if it is generally the same looking plane as all the others. With exception to avgeeks, the average passenger will see the inside of any plane, especially in economy seats. 1st class might get in greased scrutiny. I'm generally a y flyer myself. And the one big game changer would be the infotainment system and I have it set on GPS radar map. I love watching a good tailwind and our speed jump up to 65O mph traffic permitting of course.

GalaxyFlyer

Re: Will the modern day planes get the same send off

Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:35 pm

Tailwinds (or headwinds) do not effect traffic and don’t require “.permitting”. All the planes at the same level are in the same air mass.

timh4000
Topic Author

Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:30 pm

Thanks for the correction

DrPaul

Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:37 pm

I grew up in the 1960s under the eastern approach to Heathrow, so I saw lots of different planes, from the last Avro Yorks, Vickers Viking and Douglas DC-3s (I missed the Stratocruisers), through piston-engine airliners such as Airspeed Ambassadors, DC-4s, DC-6s, DC-7s and Constellations that were quickly disappearing, and turboprops such as Viscounts and Vanguards, Electras, Ilyushin IL-18s and Avro 748s, to jet airliners such as Comets, Caravelles, Tridents, VC-10s, Tupelov TU-104s, Boeing 707s and 720s, DC-8s and Convair CV-990s. Later on came 727s, 737s, DC-9s and at the end of the 1960s 747s. There would also be some rarities: the odd Bristol Freighter, Breguet Deux-Ponts (really weird), C-46, Convair 440 (or similar types), TWA's C-86 Packet (when their 707s needed a new engine), and when Northolt was closed RAF Percival Prince, Italian C-119 Boxcar (I think), French Nord Noratlas. Although some looked similar -- not least the 707 and DC-8 -- there was a lot of variation amongst them, and some were very distinctive.

Nowadays, I still live near Heathrow and nearly everything is a two-engine plane, in two sizes: big and little. BA's 747s are still around, but fewer than before, and they'll be going before too long. There are plenty of A-380s, down a little from their peak (Malaysian now use A-350s), but next to no A-340s, and the few remaining will soon be gone too. There are very occasional 747-8s, freighter and passenger. There's a couple of 757s over a week. DHC-8s have made a slight return, so we now have the odd turboprop again. So we mainly have Boeing 777s and 787s and Airbus A330s and A350s for the big ones; Boeing 737s, Airbus 320 and 220 series, and Embraer 190 series for the little ones. It takes quite a bit of careful observation to distinguish one from another.

Another 10 years? One or two 747s, almost certainly 747-8s, every so often; probably much the same number of Whales as at present, but no more (unless BA pick up some bargain second-hand ones); practically everything else will be a twin-jet, big ones and small ones. In other words, like today, but only more so.

To address the original question -- will we 'say farewell' to modern planes like we did with old ones? Unless I hear that so-and-so has stopped using this particular plane and the last flight is on this day, with me it's more a case of 'I've not seen a 767 for a while', and then finding out that nobody had been flying them into Heathrow for a year or so.

FGITD

Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:12 pm

Even today, making a big deal out of a retirement isn't that common. It might seem so because of the basis of this site and its users, but outside of the 747s being retired, the end of a type isn't usually regarded as a big deal. At least outside of the airline industry. Airlines may do something when a type goes, but it's mostly geared towards employees and maybe a little publicity.

The 747 or the a380 are exceptions due to their legacies. The 747 for its size and longevity, and the 380 for its size. Airlines make a big fuss over retiring the 747s because many of them have operated it across multiple subtypes and decades. Take AF, BA, LH, UA etc. It was or is stillthe backbone of the airline for decades. From the -100 to the -400 or even -8. No one cares that it's the last 747-400, they care that It's the last 747.

I also think passage of time has really kicked up the criticism of modern day airliners. But I don't believe it's entirely justified. How exactly did the 707, DC-8, and CV880 differ from each other, that makes them so wildly interesting, when compared to how the 787 and a350 differ? Or the DC10/md11 vs the L1011. The common comment is "tube with wings and 2 engines" but by that logic, go back a few eras, and the skies were certainly starting to look like they were full of "tubes with wings and 4 engines" (Or 3) Granted there was more variety in types, but really how different were the individual types when compared to now.

I certainly enjoy seeing classics, and a 707 or dc10 Will always turn my head. But it just seems like this discussion is like the complaint that the last generation was always superior to the current one.

seat64k

Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:04 pm

DrPaul wrote:
There are very occasional 747-8s, freighter and passenger.

Who flies the 747-8i to LHR? I had a look at the schedules of the three I know of (CA, KE and LH) and don't see anything scheduled in the immediate future.

DrPaul

Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:41 pm

seat64k wrote:
DrPaul wrote:
There are very occasional 747-8s, freighter and passenger.
Who flies the 747-8i to LHR? I had a look at the schedules of the three I know of (CA, KE and LH) and don't see anything scheduled in the immediate future.

I've seen Korean 747-8s going into Heathrow fairly regularly; according to one report I've read they're on one flight a day. From what I've seen, they seem to alternate with the Airbus A-380s. Unfortunately, there seem to be no easily accessible on-line records of Heathrow movements to confirm this.

seat64k

Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:00 pm

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out next time I got to London.

blacksoviet

Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:14 am

Which airline will be the last to retire the 747-400?

TheWorm123

Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:28 am

blacksoviet wrote:
Which airline will be the last to retire the 747-400?

Probably a cargo airline
752 753 A332