UAUA
Topic Author

Will QF fly to more European destinations?

Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:20 am

They used to fly to FRA, FCO, CDG as well. Not anymore. Will they return anytime soon?

I heard that CDG was actually doing very well but there was a reason which they were forced to pull out.
My former profile name was United Airline.

PHXWRLD

Re: Will QF fly to more European destinations?

Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:50 am

Where was the stopover for these flights?

SeaDoo

Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:20 am

If my memory from past threads is correct, it was written that Paris was discontinued as they could only serve it thrice weekly. Scratching my head a little more, I think it might have been alleged that was to protect Air France.

SeaDoo

Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:24 am

UAUA wrote:
They used to fly to FRA, FCO, CDG as well. Not anymore. Will they return anytime soon?

I heard that CDG was actually doing very well but there was a reason which they were forced to pull out.

I thought I remembered reading they also flew to Athens, Manchester, and maybe:
1) Either to BCN via FCO (or was just that a me dreaming they would do it? Checked Wikipedia and it doesn't show Spain as formerly being served, and
2) Were maybe planning to or previously had flown to Yugoslavia. Wikipedia shows Belgrade as a previous destination.

SCFlyer

Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:24 am

FCO and FRA was via SIN. FCO was ex-BNE (the last QF attempt at FCO before termination) and FRA kept changing origin cities between MEL and SYD.
LHR (QF1/2) was ex-SYD, and was originally via BKK.

Can't remember if CDG was ex-SYD or ex-PER, that also went via the SIN hub IIRC (open to correction).

ZK-NBT

Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:34 am

SCFlyer wrote:
FCO and FRA was via SIN. FCO was ex-BNE (the last QF attempt at FCO before termination) and FRA kept changing origin cities between MEL and SYD.
LHR (QF1/2) was ex-SYD, and was originally via BKK.

Can't remember if CDG was ex-SYD or ex-PER, that also went via the SIN hub IIRC (open to correction).

FCO was always ex SYD or MEL I’m quite sure via BKK with a 743 until the last couple of years it went via SIN on the 744.

FRA was for the last several years SYD-SIN with the 744 but was MEL-BKK on a 743 on some days as well until the early 2000s.

CDG was originally from SYD then later it originated in PER for the last period before being dropped IIRC, 744 was only allowed to fly 3 weekly due bilateral.

MAN/BEL/ATH/AMS were served much earlier in in the days of 4-5 stop milk bottle runs.

xwb777

Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:39 am

I think they QF will only serve the cities that it thinks is profitable for them. The remaining European cities QF will leave them for their partner, Emirates.

vhqpa

Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:45 am

With the Australia-France bilateral I believe the allowance frequencies is tied to the number of seats of the aircraft. With the 747 it maxed out at three weekly. I believe with the current 789 configuration of 236 seats they can fly up to six weekly.

*EDIT - Just took a look at the bilateral the way it's written it allows 3 weekly units, but aircraft under 400 seats constitute less than 1 unit.

400 seats and above 1.0
360 - 399 seats 0.9
320 - 359 seats 0.8
280 - 319 seats 0.7
240 - 279 seats 0.6
200 - 239 seats 0.5
150 - 199 seats 0.4
aircraft below 150 seats 0.25
Note * When a B747 Combi aircraft is used by a designated airline, it will use the
equivalent of one unit of capacity.

As the 789 sits in the 200-239 seat bracket that's six weekly frequencies.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

oschkosch

Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:04 am

I guess if they order 40-80 of the sunrise airbus planes then they will.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk
:stirthepot: :airplane: "This airplane is designed by clowns, who in turn are supervised by monkeys" :airplane: :stirthepot:

cedarjet

Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:08 am

Back in the 70s and 80s Qantas had 747 service to London, Manchester, Paris, Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Rome, Athens, Vienna and Belgrade.

Not Europe but until the mid 80s there was a once a week political stop in Damascus. It’s not really a thing anymore but some countries used to grant overflight rights only on the condition that the airline actually landed in the country, to artificially boost movements and destinations. Presumably the cost to Qantas of one touchdown a week each way (it was on the BAH-LHR leg) was less than avoiding Syrian airspace. Full traffic rights but there must only have been a handful of pax actually getting on or off.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

johns624

Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:25 pm

oschkosch wrote:
I guess if they order 40-80 of the sunrise airbus planes then they will.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk
That would be more than their current long haul fleet.

keesje

Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:55 am

Only Rome and Paris could possibly create the volume for 5-7 times a week I guess.

With one stop in SIN, KUL, China or the Middle East hubs, there's probably 100 flights a week from SYD to those cities.
Cheaper, smooth transfers, stretching your legs half way. Even the time benefit is limitted, you lose a day anyway.

Tough to compete with expensive direct flights.

"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway