wardialer
Topic Author

Tips or Tricks on getting a Window seat?

Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:54 am

I do not know if this would be considered against forum rules, but I need to ask anyways.

Just purchased a ticket for an overseas flight and the travel agency said that the flight is over-booked and a window seat was not available. I was really mad. Is there any tips or tricks and I can tell to the ticketing agent at the airport in order to get a window seat?

VSMUT

Re: Tips or Tricks on getting a Window seat?

Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:56 am

Ask politely at the check in desk. Write them a personal message with your request on Facebook if possible.

Airlines often keep a number of seats blocked for status customers etc., there is a chance they will give you one of those.

And last but not least, accept the fact that you may have to resign yourself to a middle seat.

bluecrew

Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:42 am

wardialer wrote:
I do not know if this would be considered against forum rules, but I need to ask anyways.

Just purchased a ticket for an overseas flight and the travel agency said that the flight is over-booked and a window seat was not available. I was really mad. Is there any tips or tricks and I can tell to the ticketing agent at the airport in order to get a window seat?

Where did you buy your ticket...?
If you bought it through a reseller or office there's a good chance they booked you on an airline that blocks off seating as "preferential" (AA) or somewhere that charges post-ticketing for seating (AF/KL among many others).
If they waitlisted you on a flight in a GDS that's another question. When is the flight?

This is less an airport strategy question. You should get more information before you go to the airport.

And please don't heed advice about tweeting the airline or posting on Facebook and waving it in the agent's face. That's a... high-risk strategy. I'll leave it at that.

timh4000

Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:09 am

Last minute cancellations if you are very lucky. Over seas trips are typically booked much farther in advance. Vacation planning plus there's more incentive to buy the cheapest ticket possible. Is it worth an up grade to you?

QR1350

Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:29 am

I always prefer the window seat. If for what ever reason I can’t get it when checking in or whatever, I’ll always ask at the desk just in case. I’d say 9/10 times they usually can. Particularly as the window is the bit I want so I’m happy to take less appealing seats (at the back, near a toilet or any other reason someone might not want to sit there). Best seat I ever had was the last window seat on a BA 772. Had a window and a half and enjoyed it being just two seats not three.

PI4EVR

Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:34 pm

Using your confirmation (record locator) code from the travel agent, check the airline website to see what the seat map shows at this time.
At the 24 hour check in point, seats may be released for assignment by the airline and you can select a seat if shown available.
Otherwise, as advised previously, inquiry at the ticket counter and if no luck there, proceed to the gate and speak with that agent.
At some point you'll have to receive a seat assignment to board the airplane, otherwise you'll be considered denied boarding and eligible for
compensation. The agent should not have used the term "oversold" as they likely don't know the actual seat count on the flight. It more likely advance seat selection is not showing any available seats and hence most would consider the flight as "full."

VSMUT

Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:52 pm

bluecrew wrote:
And please don't heed advice about tweeting the airline or posting on Facebook and waving it in the agent's face. That's a... high-risk strategy. I'll leave it at that.

Nonsense. I've done it loads of times, the response times are much better. Just make sure it is a private message.

debonair

Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:50 pm

wardialer wrote:
Just purchased a ticket for an overseas flight and the travel agency said that the flight is over-booked and a window seat was not available.

Makes no sense - why should a respected travel agency sell tickets on an over-booked flight and risk that the customer will be not accepted at check-in?! And how does the travel agency know, that the flight is overbooked - at least some fares must have been available for sale, otherwise it is impossible to sell a ticket...

johns624

Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:26 pm

Why not just book through the airline?

Wednesdayite

Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:48 pm

johns624 wrote:
Why not just book through the airline?

Sometimes you don’t have a choice.

For my personal travel - I always book direct with the airline.

For work trips - I am required to use the travel agent that we have a corporate account with.
A318/19/20/21/30/40. B717/27/37/47/57/67/77/87. CRJ2/7. ERJ145/175/190. FKR50. IL62. MD11/82/83/88. TU154.
AA AC AF AI AR AS AT AV AZ BA BW BY CO DA DL F9 FR JJ KL LH MA NW NZ OS RG SU TK U2 UA US VS WN

dfwjim1

Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:07 pm

One time I offered the person sitting at the window seat to buy them a meal and a drink of their choice if they traded seats with me (my seat was on the aisle) and it worked!

Airstud

Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:14 am

dfwjim1 wrote:
One time I offered the person sitting at the window seat to buy them a meal and a drink of their choice if they traded seats with me (my seat was on the aisle) and it worked!

What did they have?
Pancakes are delicious.

dfwjim1

Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:33 pm

Airstud wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

What did they have?

They ordered the most expensive item on the lunch menu and a rum and coke...Lol. The trade was worth it though.

Kno

Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:46 pm

Calling the airline directly usually works when you don’t have options on the seat map.

When that doesn’t work I try checking in at the top of the 24 hour period and usually previously blocked seats are opened up.

When that doesn’t work I talk to the gate agent.

With all of these techniques I tend to never be without a window seat.

wardialer
Topic Author

Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:57 am

The travel agency gave me the Booking ID and entered it on the airline’s website.

The airline’s seating reservation doesn’t allow me to do advanced seat reservations since my ticket was purchased from an external travel agency..

What other options do I have other than going to the airport/airline ticket agent very early and try to ask for a window seat?

MrBretz

Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:37 pm

wardialer wrote:
The travel agency gave me the Booking ID and entered it on the airline’s website.

The airline’s seating reservation doesn’t allow me to do advanced seat reservations since my ticket was purchased from an external travel agency..

What other options do I have other than going to the airport/airline ticket agent very early and try to ask for a window seat?

I think that is your only option: arrive early and beg. Good luck.

kearnet

Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:35 am

Perhaps you can give us some details that we can maybe better help you out. Can you tell us the date you’re traveling, the route and/or flight #, and what airline?
C402 9K | B1900D US | ATR72 AA | DHC8 US | CRJ2 US | E175 UA | E190 B6 | D93 US | M88 US/AA | 732 US | 733 US/WN | 734 US | 73G WN | B738 FJ/QF | B752 US/AA | B762 DL | B77W EK | F28 US | F100 US | A319 US | A320 B6 | A332 FJ | A380 EK