lightmac
Topic Author
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:56 pm

Reasons NOT to like a particular airline

Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:44 pm

Common reasons NOT to like an airline such as poor safety/puntucality, bad schedules, high prices, slow service/bad food/ few or no miles, no lounges or old aircraft seem natural. What are more special reasons? For "Scoot" for example, the pseudo-funny, pseudo-young design is really off-putting. The "jokes" made with word "scoot" everywhere in the aircraft/announcement/reading material are really very nerve wrecking.
For Ryan-Air I dislike to adverstisements that you have to stare at, placed on the bins and the seat-back. Even uniform design and onboard magazine can make a difference. SWISS for example has great graphic design everywhere, very stylish lounges with designer furniture and other nice features. I also do not appreciate it when airlines rub the main religion of their home country too much into the faces of their international passengers (some airlines from muslim countries do that for example) and prefer a neutral pofessional appearance. What are your preferences?
 
MaRoFu
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:39 pm

Re: Reasons NOT to like a particular airline

Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:55 pm

I personally don’t hate airlines for this but I’m definitely sure there are people that love/hate certain airlines from certain nations due to nationalistic/patriotic reasons.
Airports I have been to:
DFW, EWR, IAH, JFK, LAS, LGA, MCO, MIA, NRT, ORD, PHL, PHX, SEA, SLC, YTZ, YYZ
 
User avatar
conaly
Posts: 366
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 10:50 pm

Re: Reasons NOT to like a particular airline

Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:52 pm

For me, I don't like Turkish Airlines, because their main hub of IST. Be it the old Istanbul Atatürk or the new Istanbul Airport, I just hate both of them for various reasons. Both airports are a reason for me to avoid TK if possible. The airline itself is actually pretty fine.
Airports 2019: ADB, ALG, AMD, ATL, BOG, BOS, CDG, CTS, DEL, DTW, DUS, EWR, FRA, FUK, HAM, HFT, HIJ, HND, HVG, IST, ITM, JFK, MUC, NGO, NUE, OKA, PHL, SIN, STN, TOS, YYZ, ZRH
Airports 2020: HKG, NUE, ZRH
Planned 2020: ALG, FRA, HND, MUC
 
TheEuphorian
Posts: 369
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:35 am

Re: Reasons NOT to like a particular airline

Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:09 pm

Personally, I dislike some airlines all because of their livery(eg. MU, JT) or because of simple, trivial things such as the lack of mood lighting (eg. TG, AK)
 
AeroLogical
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:28 pm

Re: Reasons NOT to like a particular airline

Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:07 pm

Reason I have no data to prove except personal experience: United flight attendants have been the most exceptionally rude group of of airline employees I have ever seen. I avoid United whenever possible because I don't want to deal with them or the tired looking interiors of their planes.

Silliest reason: I love VS and their cabin service. Their flight attendants have always been wonderful to me, and I enjoy the range of aircraft types I've flown with them. However, that bright red interior they use on some of their aircraft is almost sensory overload.
 
IADCA
Posts: 2027
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:24 am

Re: Reasons NOT to like a particular airline

Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:37 pm

There are some carriers I won't fly because they are state-owned entities of governments whose goals or leaders I disagree with. There are some I won't fly because of their labor practices. Some airlines are on both those lists.
 
VSMUT
Posts: 3437
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: Reasons NOT to like a particular airline

Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:05 pm

conaly wrote:
For me, I don't like Turkish Airlines, because their main hub of IST. Be it the old Istanbul Atatürk or the new Istanbul Airport, I just hate both of them for various reasons. Both airports are a reason for me to avoid TK if possible. The airline itself is actually pretty fine.


Turkish Airlines is the one I see the most hate towards (apart from Ryanair) from friends and colleagues. Seems to be mostly politically motivated, due to Erdogan. Personally I have no issue with the airline apart from the substandard business class on their 777s.
 
n729pa
Posts: 1131
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:16 pm

Re: Reasons NOT to like a particular airline

Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:32 pm

Can't say I hate any airline, I just prefer some more than others. There are Airlines I would probably actively avoid, but then I probably wouldn't be visiting the places they go to, to start with.
 
luckyone
Posts: 2884
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:50 pm

Re: Reasons NOT to like a particular airline

Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:09 pm

I try to avoid certain carriers on certain routes. Namely ULCCs on leisure-heavy routes--unless I have absolutely no choice will I ever again be found on a Frontier or Spirit flight to Orlando or Vegas. Though none of these are limited to these routes or these airlines, the passengers tend to comprise a larger percentage of folks who don't travel very often and aren't familiar with boarding, stowing bags, etc, often with large numbers of unruly kids, and just in general do not seem to get out much and are rather intrusive into your space and are loud. It's rather akin to shopping at WalMart. Plenty of well-mannered and well-off people shop there. But the people that just make you go OH MY GOD tend to only shop there.
 
Dragonlionting
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:30 pm

Re: Reasons NOT to like a particular airline

Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:51 am

I avoid any Chinese airline because they're state owned and the CCP is genociding Uighurs in Xinjiang. If I'm giving the airline any money that makes me, even just a tiny bit, guilty of funding genocide
 
Airstud
Posts: 4813
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2000 11:57 am

Re: Reasons NOT to like a particular airline

Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:19 am

Dragonlionting wrote:
I avoid any Chinese airline because they're state owned and the CCP is genociding Uighurs in Xinjiang. If I'm giving the airline any money that makes me, even just a tiny bit, guilty of funding genocide


You talking about the "re-education" camps in Xinjiang? What's going on there is repugnant but it still doesn't look like the same thing as genocide.
Pancakes are delicious.
 
User avatar
WesternDC6B
Posts: 459
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:05 pm

Re: Reasons NOT to like a particular airline

Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:50 am

I avoid the airlines with really tight pitch, unless I am “flush” when I order the ticket and can go business.

As far as cabin crew: United is anywhere from pretty good to outright nasty. Southwest? Nice folks. Delta is great main-line. Their whatever-you-call-them partners that fly clapped-out CRJs I avoid as much as possible. Why? Because - in my experience - if I set foot on one of their planes it WILL go tech. Seriously so. I’m not sure how they are now, but, British Airways had fine cabin crew who work hard, but did so in dirty, worn-out interiors. That may have changed, but it was a disappointment at the time.
A big heart is commendable. An enlarged heart is a medical condition.
 
B777LRF
Posts: 2581
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:23 am

Re: Reasons NOT to like a particular airline

Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:30 am

Safety, labour relations, customer relations. In that order.
Signature. You just read one.
 
Rossiya747
Posts: 146
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:56 am

Re: Reasons NOT to like a particular airline

Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:12 am

Ukraine international. Lost my baggage. Also, being a national full-service airline, the only beverages are water, tea, and coffee. No soda or anything drinks other than those mentioned for free. You had to buy it. On the leg from ALA to KBP, breakfast was literally just an egg and some potatoes. Sweaty German guys watching their phone on full volume. The food on KBP to JFK was slightly better, but half the bathrooms were broken. Line was 15 people long the entire flight. Thankfully I used the bathroom at the airport. Dirty interiors, tight pitch, hard seats. The FA's literally had to yell at the passengers when we landed because as soon as we stopped, everyone stood up even though we were waiting to cross a runway. Crappy experience.

Also, Ryanair (duh). Disgusting seats. The FA's were salespeople. Hard landings every time (yes the meme is actually true)
223 319 320 321 332 333 346 388 734 737 738 739 38M 744 752 753 763 764 772 773 77W 788 789 208 CRJ2 E145 E190 UA DL AA WN AC CM 4O AV 2K FI DY D8 SK LH EI FR U2 IB OS LX BA VS BT PS MS SA SW QR EY HY AI 9W TG SQ MH AK D7 QZ BR NH CA QF MI
 
sevenair
Posts: 2959
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2001 7:18 am

Re: Reasons NOT to like a particular airline

Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:00 am

Air Canada for me. Over priced, rubbish service and the most stunningly arrogant crews I've never met. I always pay more to avoid them.
 
sevenair
Posts: 2959
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2001 7:18 am

Re: Reasons NOT to like a particular airline

Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:04 am

Rossiya747 wrote:
Ukraine international. Lost my baggage. Also, being a national full-service airline, the only beverages are water, tea, and coffee. No soda or anything drinks other than those mentioned for free. You had to buy it. On the leg from ALA to KBP, breakfast was literally just an egg and some potatoes. Sweaty German guys watching their phone on full volume. The food on KBP to JFK was slightly better, but half the bathrooms were broken. Line was 15 people long the entire flight. Thankfully I used the bathroom at the airport. Dirty interiors, tight pitch, hard seats. The FA's literally had to yell at the passengers when we landed because as soon as we stopped, everyone stood up even though we were waiting to cross a runway. Crappy experience.

Also, Ryanair (duh). Disgusting seats. The FA's were salespeople. Hard landings every time (yes the meme is actually true)


That doesn't surprise me. A few years ago we were waiting to clear US customs at JFK having arrived on BA175. After an hour, what I can only describe as a surge occured from behind, and it was most of a 767 full of Ukrainians pushing past. It was very tense and quite frightening. We English just looked disapprovingly whereas the Americans in our queue told them where to go. It was enough to put me off the place and the airline.
 
Rossiya747
Posts: 146
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:56 am

Re: Reasons NOT to like a particular airline

Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:04 am

sevenair wrote:
Rossiya747 wrote:
Ukraine international. Lost my baggage. Also, being a national full-service airline, the only beverages are water, tea, and coffee. No soda or anything drinks other than those mentioned for free. You had to buy it. On the leg from ALA to KBP, breakfast was literally just an egg and some potatoes. Sweaty German guys watching their phone on full volume. The food on KBP to JFK was slightly better, but half the bathrooms were broken. Line was 15 people long the entire flight. Thankfully I used the bathroom at the airport. Dirty interiors, tight pitch, hard seats. The FA's literally had to yell at the passengers when we landed because as soon as we stopped, everyone stood up even though we were waiting to cross a runway. Crappy experience.

Also, Ryanair (duh). Disgusting seats. The FA's were salespeople. Hard landings every time (yes the meme is actually true)


That doesn't surprise me. A few years ago we were waiting to clear US customs at JFK having arrived on BA175. After an hour, what I can only describe as a surge occured from behind, and it was most of a 767 full of Ukrainians pushing past. It was very tense and quite frightening. We English just looked disapprovingly whereas the Americans in our queue told them where to go. It was enough to put me off the place and the airline.


I'm an American so I use the Mobile Passport to avoid the long lines of people complaining. Ukrainian people in Kyiv are really polite but once you get on the plane it is pretty trash. Also Chinese tourists for some reason. Were talking really loudly when I was trying to sleep. Ended up staring at the map for 9 hours.
223 319 320 321 332 333 346 388 734 737 738 739 38M 744 752 753 763 764 772 773 77W 788 789 208 CRJ2 E145 E190 UA DL AA WN AC CM 4O AV 2K FI DY D8 SK LH EI FR U2 IB OS LX BA VS BT PS MS SA SW QR EY HY AI 9W TG SQ MH AK D7 QZ BR NH CA QF MI
 
IPFreely
Posts: 2511
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:26 am

Re: Reasons NOT to like a particular airline

Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:51 am

WesternDC6B wrote:
Delta is great main-line. Their whatever-you-call-them partners that fly clapped-out CRJs I avoid as much as possible. Why? Because - in my experience - if I set foot on one of their planes it WILL go tech. Seriously so.


You're not the only one. In my experience it wasn't always the same excuse -- could be plane going tech, could be crew availability, could be ATC -- but Delta Connection was always an operational joke. They usually did not get me where I was going when they were supposed to, and their IRROPS rebooking plan was usually to tell pax to go away.
 
User avatar
WesternDC6B
Posts: 459
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:05 pm

Re: Reasons NOT to like a particular airline

Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:00 am

IPFreely wrote:
WesternDC6B wrote:
Delta is great main-line. Their whatever-you-call-them partners that fly clapped-out CRJs I avoid as much as possible. Why? Because - in my experience - if I set foot on one of their planes it WILL go tech. Seriously so.


You're not the only one. In my experience it wasn't always the same excuse -- could be plane going tech, could be crew availability, could be ATC -- but Delta Connection was always an operational joke. They usually did not get me where I was going when they were supposed to, and their IRROPS rebooking plan was usually to tell pax to go away.


Some on here and from other sites know I have a sense of humor - at times an odd one. I was sitting (and sitting, and sitting, and sitting) on some trashed out old CRJ200; I don’t even recall which airport it was. The repairmen were called out. It was, apparently something with the OPU. A couple of times we heard it winding up, then winding down. After abot the third try, I said in my projecting, Radio Announcer Voice, “just wind the rope around the flywheel, place your foot firmly on the side away from the blades, and pull!

It brought some laughter, including from a deadheading pilot. The stew passed out some beverages and snacks; she gave me TWO packets of cookies.
;-{)}}}

It was only 45 minutes later they got the dad-blamed thing to run.

Yay. I guess.
A big heart is commendable. An enlarged heart is a medical condition.
 
User avatar
Spiderguy252
Posts: 1148
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:58 am

Re: Reasons NOT to like a particular airline

Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:52 am

Does Air India count?

Leeches off my tax money on a daily basis, and finds a way to make a brand new airplane resemble an 18-year old workhorse within a span of months.
Vahroone
 
ExpatVet
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:35 am

Re: Reasons NOT to like a particular airline

Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:43 pm

Airstud wrote:
Dragonlionting wrote:
I avoid any Chinese airline because they're state owned and the CCP is genociding Uighurs in Xinjiang. If I'm giving the airline any money that makes me, even just a tiny bit, guilty of funding genocide


You talking about the "re-education" camps in Xinjiang? What's going on there is repugnant but it still doesn't look like the same thing as genocide.

Maybe he doesn't like funding gulags either. Funny old world, isn't it?
L101, 733/4/5/8, 741/2/3 (never managed 744!), MD 80/2/3/8/90, MD11, DHC8/3/Q4, E170, E195, 757, 77W, 763/4, Travel Air 2000. A300/310, A319/320/321, A333, ATR-72, probably a few others I forget. Passenger, not pilot, alas! BUD based.
 
User avatar
LH748
Posts: 410
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:44 am

Re: Reasons NOT to like a particular airline

Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:38 pm

Delta
My mom's bag was severely damaged on her last trip from Germany to Florida and she reported it to the Delta agent at RSW. I helped her getting in touch with DL customer service and we were advised to buy a new bag. When I contacted them again to send the receipt for the new bag they suddenly claimed that AF would be in charge for all non-US travelers even though she only flew DL and the entire booking was made on the DL site. I already figured this would be complete bullshit but we still waited to see if anything happens. As expected, neither DL nor AF contacted us and I contacted DL customer service again without any real success. They made some vague statement and long story short nothing happened. I was and still am super disappointed about this lack of responsibility.
I had a similar baggage situation with AA two years ago but AA was very quick to respond and it was absolutely no problem to get the money back for the new bag I had to buy.
I'm always amazed that people praise DL as the best carrier in the US because it clearly isn't the experience I made if anything goes wrong.
306 310 318 319 320 321 333 343 388 ATR72 733 737 738 739 743 744 748 752 753 763 764 772 77W 788 CRJ7 CRJ9 E170 F100 MD11 RJ1H
AA AB AC AF AK AZ BA DE DL EW FD FR HF HG IB IR MF KU LH LT LX OD TG TK TP UA VJ VN WN W6 YP YW
 
ExpatVet
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:35 am

Re: Reasons NOT to like a particular airline

Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:09 pm

LH748 wrote:
Delta


I'm always amazed that people praise DL as the best carrier in the US because it clearly isn't the experience I made if anything goes wrong.


Fully agree, I had one flight that was great with them, the rest were pretty crappy. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of choices when flying international to PDX.
L101, 733/4/5/8, 741/2/3 (never managed 744!), MD 80/2/3/8/90, MD11, DHC8/3/Q4, E170, E195, 757, 77W, 763/4, Travel Air 2000. A300/310, A319/320/321, A333, ATR-72, probably a few others I forget. Passenger, not pilot, alas! BUD based.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 67 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos