Airstud
Topic Author

Which seats to select for PHL-HVN?

Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:25 am

People - your days of gazing at your List of Airports Airstud Has Landed At and sneering (sneering, I say) that it's missing "Tweed - New Haven Regional" are fast coming to an end.

I'm on AA 4411 on Feb 8 and I wonder if the flight path is such that I can get maybe a view of New York City? If so which side should I sit on?

(I was just about to add "What about the return flight" and then also point out that it's an early morning flight (because apparently I fancy those facts to have an influence on where New York City is physically located.))
Pancakes are delicious.

BWIAirport

Re: Which seats to select for PHL-HVN?

Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:41 am

Looking at Flightaware, it seems every PHL-HVN flight swings out to the east over the NY/NJ Bight, before swinging up north to HVN (https://flightaware.com/live/flight/RPA ... /KPHL/KHVN). Without a doubt, your best bet at seeing NYC is sitting on the left (port) side of the aircraft. Now, whether the weather permits you to see all the way to Manhattan probably can't be determined until a day or two before your flight. These flights top out at only 20,000 feet so it'll need to be a clear day.
Next flight: 3/1 DL2834 BWI-ATL B739
3/1 DL661 ATL-STT B752

SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN, AAL | E190 DC94 CRJ2 B712 B733 B737 B738 B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B77W A319 A320 A20N A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88

Airstud
Topic Author

Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:34 am

Thank you. (For teaching me the word "bight." :boggled: )

I have logged on to aa.com and made the necessary seat selections!!

I was about to note, for those keeping score, that this will be my first trip aboard American Airlines since 1977; however I logged on to aa.com to check, and all four legs are actually operated by Republic.

My streak therefore remains unbroken. :biggrin:
Pancakes are delicious.

AeroLogical

Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:07 pm

While the view won't be as fantastic coming into New Haven, the left side will also get you a better view there too. If you get the straight in rwy 2 landing after coming across the Sound (a bit more common), you'll get a nice view of the harbor and up the waterway. If you're a little more fortunate with the prevailing winds, you'll land on 20, and the left will get you a nice view of downtown and East Rock, a nice trap rock formation, before the turn onto final.

A note too that the airport is one of the strangest I've ever flown to--it sits smack in the middle of a residential neighborhood and barely feels like a commercial airport.

Enjoy the flight!

Airstud
Topic Author

Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:39 am

AeroLogical wrote:
A note too that the airport is one of the strangest I've ever flown to--it sits smack in the middle of a residential neighborhood and barely feels like a commercial airport.

Enjoy the flight!

BTV is like that too. You get your bags, walk out the main door of the main (only?) terminal building, and there's quaint New England houses right across the street. :boggled:
Pancakes are delicious.

Airstud
Topic Author

Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:31 am

Any cool things to do in the Philly airport? I've not been there since 2001.

(Any U.S. Mail drops, post-security, for instance? It's not on my List of Airports I've Mailed Things From (yet).)
Pancakes are delicious.

PHLspecial

Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:42 am

Airstud wrote:

(Any U.S. Mail drops, post-security, for instance? It's not on my List of Airports I've Mailed Things From (yet).)

Well you can check out a bunch of art installations. I think near terminal E as a book center to check out books. The food selection as gotten a lot better as well.

Airstud
Topic Author

Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:30 am

PHLspecial wrote:
Airstud wrote:

Well you can check out a bunch of art installations. I think near terminal E as a book center to check out books. The food selection as gotten a lot better as well.

Mmmmmmmm, food...

I'm not sure if I want a Philly cheesesteak though; that seems like maybe too touristy.

Now... which neighborhood in New Haven should I select when submitting a priceline bid for hotel? There's

1 Amity New Haven;
2 Downtown New Haven;
3 East Haven -Branford;
4 Hamden North Haven
5 Meriden South - Wallingford
6 Milford East - Orange (mmmmmmmm, oranges...)
7 Stratford - Milford West
8 West Haven
Pancakes are delicious.

PHLspecial

Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:35 am

Airstud wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:
Airstud wrote:

Mmmmmmmm, food...

I'm not sure if I want a Philly cheesesteak though; that seems like maybe too touristy.

Now... which neighborhood in New Haven should I select when submitting a priceline bid for hotel? There's

1 Amity New Haven;
2 Downtown New Haven;
3 East Haven -Branford;
4 Hamden North Haven
8 West Haven

Also I think you should avoid chicky and petes. I think they are a bit over rated in my opinion. Terminal B would be best for food because they got ipads there. Sorry don't know New Haven. I personally like staying in city centers but you do what you like

airlineworker

Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:07 am

Airstud wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:
Airstud wrote:

Mmmmmmmm, food...

1 Amity New Haven;
2 Downtown New Haven;
3 East Haven -Branford;
4 Hamden North Haven
8 West Haven

In New Haven go to Wooster street and go to any of the pizza restaurants, Sally, Pepe's, etc and get real Naples style pizza. They call them tomato pies and I like the plain pizza pie, no canned pizza sauce but crushed tomatoes, olive oil, grated cheese all on a hand pounded thin crust. Its amazing how good something so plain can taste so good. They use wood fired ovens. Wooster street is only about 10-15 minutes from Tweed airport. Tweed airport is close to everything and hopefully this year more airlines will set up shop with more flights. It sure beats flying to Bradley field if your business is in New Haven.

EMBQA

Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:12 pm

Left side up, right side down, but looking at Flightaware it goes nowhere near NYC...and I'm sure ATC wants them no where in the area. The tracks I saw straight out of PHL till parallel to HVN, then straight into HVN crossing over Long Island
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

Airstud
Topic Author

Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:53 am

New Haven... neighborhood... recommendations... please...
Pancakes are delicious.

Rossiya747

Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:43 am

I recommend Yorkside Pizzeria in New Haven if you get there. Its in the middle of the Yale campus, but a little on the expensive side.
223 319 320 321 332 333 346 388 734 737 738 739 38M 744 752 753 763 764 772 773 77W 788 789 208 CRJ2 E145 E190 UA DL AA WN AC CM 4O AV 2K FI DY D8 SK LH EI FR U2 IB OS LX BA VS BT PS MS SA SW QR EY HY AI 9W TG SQ MH AK D7 QZ BR NH CA QF MI