Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Shrewfly

Re: Best and worst airport in Europe???

Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:33 am

Doncaster/Sheffield is decent, but its helped by its size. In my experience, security is quick and friendly, theres a reasonable premium lounge, and if you get a decent seat on the inbound flight, you can clear immigration, have your bags, and be in the carpark in less than 20 minutes sometimes. Might not be so good when theres 4 or 5 Wizzairs waiting to go on a night, or a 787 off to Orlando, but my experience has been positive, and you can get some interesting aircraft coming in (Last visit there was a cargo 747, a 727 and a Russian freighter that I couldn't identify).

by contrast, I've never had a good experience with Leeds Bradford. Slow drive to get there from the motorway, its exposed to high winds, and the terminal is one long corridor with a low ceiling, poor visibility for watching aircraft and retail units squeezed in everywhere. At least one of the gates has you queing under a temporary structure which is draughty and cold. Friendly staff though. It is however much busier than DSA, given that Jet2 have a large base there.

ricport

Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:06 pm

In terms of surliness, LHR & CPH win (or are at least really up there). LHR T5 security screeners have that lovely combo of surly and lazy; everyone - from security to shop workers - at CPH is surly and acts like they're doing you a huge favor by helping you.

danvs

Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:38 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
danvs wrote:
ZRH - Been there last summer: overrated, overcrowded, dated terminals and with hundreds of delayed flights.

Hundreds of delayed flights? You mean all flights that day were delayed? How many departures ZRH has daily? Are you sure it weren't dozens of flights?

I didn't count exactly how many flights were delayed, sorry... But basically all flights after 15:00 were so.

MartijnNL wrote:
danvs wrote:
I never expected my flight to hold for several minutes before landing at this airport; in fact we held much longer to land in ZRH than in LHR.

Personal experiences may very greatly. I have experienced two holdings at ZRH, the last one just a week ago, both lasted for around five minutes. Coming in to land at LHR I also experienced two holdings, both lasting around twenty minutes.
Maybe you weren't lucky at ZRH. Personally I am always very happy when the crew announces we 'unfortunately' have to hold for some time. I love to go round in circles, watch the world from above and look at other aircraft nearby, that are also holding.
Some flights between Frankfurt and Amsterdam take 44 minutes, others last 58 minutes, thanks to holding during the approach to Schiphol Airport. I have done the 374 miles between AMS and ZRH in 53 minutes, while the 231 miles between AMS and LHR took 1 hour and 10 minutes, of which twenty minutes were spent holding. A great way to start the day!

Much (or even most) of an experience in basically anything in life comes from expectations. I had heard lots of positive reviews of ZRH: that it was organized and worked like Swiss clockwork, with helpful employees, that it was so noise-free that you could hear a pin falling on the floor, etc.
With so many delayed flights, the airport was chaotic, as I said with passengers lining up in the middle of the terminal's corridors. It was as silent and organized as MIA in a bad day.
Being an aviation fan and a window-seat passenger (always!), I also love when my flight starts holding. But, although I watch FR24 almost daily, I never expected holds to land in ZRH, an airport which I thought was so perfect that this sort of thing didn't exist there. After all, if much busier airports don't usually place airplanes holding (JFK, LAX, for instance), why would ZRH? Alas, I was wrong. I'm no expert in ZRH, but I guess the runways' layout doesn't help. Neither the fact that they change runways in the evening, every day, due to noise issues.
Finally, LX canceled my intercontinental flight back home (LX's 6th canceled flight in this route in 17 days). At the airport, I had to deal with a surly company's employee to get a hotel to spend the night. LX's onboard service was also quite disappointing, probably because of the high expectations I had.

MartijnNL

Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:35 pm

Thanks danvs for your story.

Calledonian

Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:11 pm

Good:

Riga: Fantastic terminal views, well laid out, good facilities and you'll mostly be flying out on an excellent Airbaltic A220.
Anglesey/Valley: What's not to like about an airport the size of a portacabin
London Southend: The best London airport by far
Geneva: A generally pleasant place to be
Prague: Very efficient to get in/out. Friendly Staff
Cardiff: You can be through security and in to departures in seconds even on a busy morning.
Barcelona: Well laid out, fast security, very pleasant terminal
London Gatwick: I fly out of there about 30 times a year. It has its flaws but I've spent so much time there, I've come to tolerate it's idiosyncrasies

Bad:

Milan Malpensa: Badly laid out, confusing signage, rude staff, unbelievably dirty. Special mention to the easyJet terminal, which is just about as bad a terminal as you could possibly imagine.
Milas Bodrum: The worst airport security I have ever experienced within Europe, very little option in terms of catering
London Stansted: Hateful, hateful airport
Paris CDG: Meh
Berlin Tegel: As explained upthread

Tenaja85

Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:14 pm

My personal favorites:
-AMS: Clean, clearly signed, and amazingly efficient for the number of passengers through
-MAD T4: Beautiful, spacious-feeling terminal; quite a contrast to the rest of MAD
-MUC: Bright, clean, great viewing platforms

And the worst ones in my experience:
-CDG: An inefficient, unclear, illogical mess of an airport
-FRA: Quite the maze and not an easy airport to make non-Schengen connections in... have spent a decent amount of time there due to missed connections. And so very crowded.
-STN: crowded, dirty, and every employee it seems is having a bad day, always
-MAD other than T4: Weirdly numbered gates, lots of backtracking and small/no windows for viewing

LX138

Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:49 pm

My favs:

Oslo Gardermoen
Hong Kong

Worst:

Luton - awful in every possible way.
Bucharest - modern part ruined by confusing layout, endless smoking rooms at each gate, queues snaking all over the place for smoking/food outlets. Dirty and badly maintained.
Leeds-Bradford - cheap and nasty build fit out everywhere. Bus shelter type canopies outside. Awful security. Painful 40 minute bus ride from Leeds.
StarWorld Team - The ultimate airline alliance

Swiss4Ever

Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:41 pm

My favorites
CPH
HEL
MUC
OPO
ZRH

The worst IMHO
BCN (T2)
TXL

Special mention to the tiniest Airport i've ever been to
LUG

DNDTUF

Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:25 pm

My favourite airports in Europe are:
ZRH
MUC
MAD (T4)
GVA (controversial, the architecture is absolutely rubbish, but for efficiency, it's amazing)

My least favourites are:
MAD (T1,2,3)
Berlin SXF & TXL
MAN - all terminals, this is the worst airport in the world, from security to arrivals to the lack of windows, this is an airport to avoid at all costs
Nemo me impune lacessit

Nordfisch

Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:43 pm

Best:
MUC
ZRH
AMS
CPH
HAM

Worst:
CDG
FRA
MAD (T1,2,3)

MAD T4, 4S is a mixed bag. F.e. arriving at 4S during the morning TATL wave can be chaotic and tight connections leaving T4 are going to be challenging. But the architecture is a defenite plus, lots of light and space.

FearsomePuppet

Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:17 am

I really hated the Heraklion Airport... it's long but very narrow.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:14 pm

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Zurich specifically with a story!

Not as much of a fan of Frankfurt airport as I would like to have thought. The lack of markings is VERY inefficient and VERY un-German. MUC, by comparison, is the finely tuned BMW engine of airports - it makes me want to see FRA torn down and redone just like it.

I'd comment on Tegel airport in Berlin, but nothing there is the airport's fault. It just is what it is, due to unique history.

The most user friendly we found is Salzburg. One heck of an unnecessarily long walk from the bus stop, but once inside, it's so simple. And the views!! :O

So the promised Zurich story of simplicity: FRA-ZRH on a Swiss A320, , arriving at gate B31. The upper levels for the Schengen gates are easy to find, as are the D and E gates. Ironically enough, we left from gate D31 for SAN a few hours later - passing through the same facilities, just a different entrance. LOVE THIS AIRPORT!!

Wednesdayite

Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:08 am

I like AMS.

Hate CDG.

LHR is hit or miss. T2 and T5 are fine. T3 is horrible.
A318/19/20/21/30/40. B717/27/37/47/57/67/77/87. CRJ2/7. ERJ145/175/190. FKR50. IL62. MD11/82/83/88. TU154.
AA AC AF AI AR AS AT AV AZ BA BW BY CO DA DL F9 FR JJ KL LH MA NW NZ OS RG SU TK U2 UA US VS WN

MartijnNL

Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:18 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

I'm surprised you state this. Multiple users have shared their stories about ZRH in this topic.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:37 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

I'm surprised you state this. Multiple users have shared their stories about ZRH in this topic.

I saw a lot of "Best of" and "Worst of" lists, but few stories. If I missed them, I'll rescan the list, but my observation was mostly lists.

In all probability, by the time I got to the thread, there were lots of responses, and I got blinded to some of them.

Wednesdayite

Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:50 am

LX138 wrote:
My favs:

Oslo Gardermoen
Hong Kong

Worst:

Luton - awful in every possible way.
Bucharest - modern part ruined by confusing layout, endless smoking rooms at each gate, queues snaking all over the place for smoking/food outlets. Dirty and badly maintained.
Leeds-Bradford - cheap and nasty build fit out everywhere. Bus shelter type canopies outside. Awful security. Painful 40 minute bus ride from Leeds.

Ummm...
A318/19/20/21/30/40. B717/27/37/47/57/67/77/87. CRJ2/7. ERJ145/175/190. FKR50. IL62. MD11/82/83/88. TU154.
AA AC AF AI AR AS AT AV AZ BA BW BY CO DA DL F9 FR JJ KL LH MA NW NZ OS RG SU TK U2 UA US VS WN