Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VTCIE
Topic Author

Time for a new livery for Korean Air? Or is it timeless?

Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:25 pm

I am one of those people who think that KE’s blue-top livery looks terribly outdated now. It has not aged well at all, unlike say SQ, EK or NH. Those oldfangled titles have been in place since 1984. Is KE due for a brand refresh? Does it even need one? Should it be a radical change like LH, or a minor tweak like KL?

Comments?
Last edited by VTCIE on Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steman

Re: Time for a new livery for Korean Air? Or is it timeless?

Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:36 pm

It really is a matter of taste. I personally find SQ, EK e NH outdated but KE very nice and it kinda makes every plane look good, even the A380, which more often than not, looks too big and bulbous with all white front fuselage.
Maybe KE could update the font, but I would keep the colors.

Kno

Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:39 pm

I think the old school straight across the aircraft cheat lines are much better than the new curved ones we see more frequently today - and the blue top is much needed in the bland sea of cheap white liveries. If anything needs to be updated I’d suggest a minor tweak to the titles or something along those lines. AF has done a great job of modernizing theirs.

MD80

Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:54 pm

It's timeless and unique.
Dedicated to the MD-80, MD-90, MD-95, and DC-9: www.MD-80.com

Bricktop

Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:09 pm

They should go all white, with the Pepsi ball logo on the tail, but bigger. And "Korean" in full height letters at the front of the plane, but in Helvetica italics. A totally new concept in liveries. No swoosh, no tail color extended onto the fuselage. That would be gorgeous! Or they could be smart and do nothing, because the livery is just fine as is.

kriskim

Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:10 pm

Maybe KE can do something similar to how VN updated their livery? But I love the current livery as is, it’s still quite modern IMHO.
A world built upon connectivity.

A388

Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:19 pm

If KE does want to change their current livery it must be minor just like KL, AF, LH. SQ was also rumored to update their livery, what is the status of this?

A388

leleko747

Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:21 pm

It's timeless! Stop messing with liveries! Most of the airlines end up trashing their brands lately. Japan Airlines, Finnair, Lufthansa, Iberia, Aer Lingus... the list goes on.

Being a bit contradictory, I must say I really enjoyed this rendering of a concept new livery of Korean.
If they change to this, i'll still be happy.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BfgTm4Oj-bS/

This account have other very nice concept liveries.
I wonder when people will understand:
Embraer 190 or simply E190, not ERJ-190. E-Jets are NOT ERJs!
Boeing 747-8, not Boeing 747-800. Same goes for 787.
Airbus A320, not Airbus 320.
Airbii does not exist.

dredgy

Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:48 pm

While it wouldn’t be a terrible thing to modernise, I really like the blue livery.

It also has a really weird effect on me when flying on them - I am a relatively stressed and tense person, but Korean Air has a really calming effect on me between the exterior and interior and regardless of class of travel I just inherently relax and sleep well when flying them compared to any other airline.

blooc350

Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:48 pm

VTCIE wrote:
I am one of those people who think that KE’s blue-top livery looks terribly outdated now. It has not aged well at all, unlike say SQ, EK or NH. Those oldfangled titles have been in place since 1984. Is KE due for a brand refresh? Does it even need one? Should it be a radical change like LH, or a minor tweak like KL?

Comments?

Iconic and timeless just like SQ

flytimbo77

Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:06 pm

Nothing is truly timeless, but some liveries have fared better than others over the years. It is worth noting that although EK and SQ have not had a complete livery change, there have been many subtle 'updates' and 'refreshers' made over the years. Things like spacing and fonts etc are constantly adjusted to keep things fresh, so there have been changes, just not drastic ones. KE's livery is certainly one of the most distinctive in the industry, and one of a minority of full colour schemes. The fixed horizontal cheat line is really an outdated concept and always tends to date things a bit, but that said a lot of people tend to like the traditional look of sophistication it provides. I think it should be possible to update the livery without losing its character, and the obvious things would be modernising and enlarging the typeface. It certainly would be an interesting design project!

VSMUT

Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:10 pm

leleko747 wrote:
It's timeless! Stop messing with liveries! Most of the airlines end up trashing their brands lately. Japan Airlines, Finnair, Lufthansa, Iberia, Aer Lingus... the list goes on.

:checkmark:

Messing with liveries got us the new Lufthansa paintjob.

Spiderguy252

Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:13 pm

You would think Korean Airlines have other things to worry about at the current time than the livery.
Vahroone

VTCIE
Topic Author

Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:52 pm

leleko747 wrote:

Being a bit contradictory, I must say I really enjoyed this rendering of a concept new livery of Korean.

Great render, and I personally think KE should preserve the equity of its current livery while at the same time introducing a modern streak, like KL or BR. That way it doesn’t have to look all that different from what it has looked all these years, minus the straight cheatline. Nothing radical needed like Etihad, whose original livery was an outright embarrassment. But MY GOD that Grande Olde KOREAN AIR font must be brought up to the times.

CBBW

Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:46 pm

leleko747 wrote:

That’s a very nice update.
I think KE has one of the more distinctive and attractive liveries around but I think when they enlarged the titles on the sides they should have changed the typeface which is the only part of it I think looks legitimately dated.

QR1350

Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:20 pm

I haven’t been on A.net long enough to work out all the running jokes and topics that always generate the same tongue in cheek responses. But I don’t see why everyone is against reliverying. Yes, just having Euro White and a swoosh is boring, but airlines need updating. I liked the United swoosh on the MAX and dreamliners and the KLM line change. I’m the old Aer Lingus and Iberia ones were very dated and screamed 80’s to me. But again, that’s just me. My favourite, hmmm, particularly like Asiana and the new AA.

LH748

Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:03 pm

I love it
It has color and sticks out
306 310 318 319 320 321 333 343 388 ATR72 733 737 738 739 743 744 748 752 753 763 764 772 77W 788 CRJ7 CRJ9 E170 F100 MD11 RJ1H
AA AB AC AF AK AZ BA DE DL EW FD FR HF HG IB IR MF KU LH LT LX OD TG TK TP UA VJ VN WN W6 YP YW

PatrickZ80

Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:18 pm

I'd say it's heavily outdated, it screams 1980s. I don't agree with the people calling it timeless, it certainly isn't. It has had it's time in the 80's and 90's, but those days are over.

Just the fact that they have a big thick cheatline is a reason not to like it anymore. Cheatlines are a thing of the past, they don't fit in the modern world. If you want to become modern again, the cheatline has to go. Even Alitalia came to that conclusion not too long ago.

An alternative could be to make it thin and wavy, just like KLM did. In the modern world you got to play with curves and figures, anything straight is outdated.

IADCA

Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:52 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
In the modern world you got to play with curves and figures, anything straight is outdated.

Jokes about the last clause aside, this is a silly statement. You had just praised the Alitalia livery, which is just a Lufthansa-lite of extended tail logo (with a straight diagonal line) and title on the front of the fuselage. Just like LH, that's about as straight-line as you can find.

PatrickZ80

Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:21 pm

IADCA wrote:
Jokes about the last clause aside, this is a silly statement. You had just praised the Alitalia livery, which is just a Lufthansa-lite of extended tail logo (with a straight diagonal line) and title on the front of the fuselage. Just like LH, that's about as straight-line as you can find.

Not really.

Take a closer look at the new Alitalia livery. The fuselage is off-white, a little grey or beige just how you look at it. Same as the old SAS livery. But towards the rear of the fuselage there are some "ribbons" in it. Slight color differences which are a little wider at the top and more narrow at the bottom. The tail logo might appear straight, but take a closer look. They played with color shades, it's going from dark green on the top of the tail to light green in the middle and again dark green at the bottom and on the fuselage. Not in straight lines like it would have been done in the 80's, but smooth and gradient. And take a closer look at the red triangle in the middle of the tail, you'll notice that there are some thin black lines accentuating it. But on the fuselage where the red extends to, those lines fade out and merge with the red, which is a bit darker on the fuselage than on the tail. Take a look at the Alitalia logo on the front of the fuselage and on the wings. Is it all the same color green? No, it isn't. It's like there is a light shining in the middle of the logo, it's far more light in the middle than on the edges.

I'd say the person who designed the new Alitalia livery was a real artist, he knew what he was doing. He knew how to upgrade a dull outdated livery to something new and refreshing. He added slight color differences, stripes and shades that are hardly visible. Due to this, I dare say Alitalia has one of the most beautiful liveries nowadays.

Korean air has none of this. The blue is all the same blue all over the aircraft, the cheatline all the same silver-grey. Where are the slight details? The shades and ribbons? They don't have them because the 1980's didn't have them, the new Alitalia livery would have been impossible to paint in those days.

I say Korean Air needs an Alitalia overhaul.

PS agreed on Lufthansa, it's rather dull. But let's face it, they got rid of the cheatlines long ago. Back then, they were ahead of their time by getting rid of them. Everybody followed their example. Just their latest livery hasn't been the biggest success.

ER757

Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:11 am

Maybe change the font, but otherwise it's good as is. I see their 77W and 748F often in the skies over SEA and always enjoy something other than a white fuselage

IADCA

Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:26 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
IADCA wrote:

Not really.

Take a closer look at the new Alitalia livery. The fuselage is off-white, a little grey or beige just how you look at it. Same as the old SAS livery. But towards the rear of the fuselage there are some "ribbons" in it. Slight color differences which are a little wider at the top and more narrow at the bottom. The tail logo might appear straight, but take a closer look. They played with color shades, it's going from dark green on the top of the tail to light green in the middle and again dark green at the bottom and on the fuselage. Not in straight lines like it would have been done in the 80's, but smooth and gradient. And take a closer look at the red triangle in the middle of the tail, you'll notice that there are some thin black lines accentuating it. But on the fuselage where the red extends to, those lines fade out and merge with the red, which is a bit darker on the fuselage than on the tail. Take a look at the Alitalia logo on the front of the fuselage and on the wings. Is it all the same color green? No, it isn't. It's like there is a light shining in the middle of the logo, it's far more light in the middle than on the edges.

I'd say the person who designed the new Alitalia livery was a real artist, he knew what he was doing. He knew how to upgrade a dull outdated livery to something new and refreshing. He added slight color differences, stripes and shades that are hardly visible. Due to this, I dare say Alitalia has one of the most beautiful liveries nowadays.

Korean air has none of this. The blue is all the same blue all over the aircraft, the cheatline all the same silver-grey. Where are the slight details? The shades and ribbons? They don't have them because the 1980's didn't have them, the new Alitalia livery would have been impossible to paint in those days.

I say Korean Air needs an Alitalia overhaul.

PS agreed on Lufthansa, it's rather dull. But let's face it, they got rid of the cheatlines long ago. Back then, they were ahead of their time by getting rid of them. Everybody followed their example. Just their latest livery hasn't been the biggest success.

That's an awful lot of words to describe details that are not visible in most lighting conditions or at any significant distance. Every time I've seen it in person, it's looked like a bland, boring Livery X. Same as I'd say with the old SK livery, by the way (and that's from someone who flies SK a lot).

ERJ135

Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:32 am

We need to be very careful in what we would like to see here because we have seen some horrific rebranding that the airlines call liveries. I do wonder though if they could do a euro blue but paler tip to tail with an oversize ying yang logo and simple Korean titles in silver but larger.
I so want to fly on SCAT one day!

Max Q

Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:02 am

Not a fan of Korean Air however this is truly a timeless, handsome and distinctive livery

It should be left alone
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

aeromoe

Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:08 pm

Keep it. It is a beautiful livery despite being over 35 years old now. I've flown on KE F-27, F-28, MD-80, and 727-200 in this livery and that was over 31 years ago.
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(1) BY B6 CO CP(2) DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QF QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K

Kno

Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:21 pm

leleko747 wrote:

Wow, most of those are a significant improvement over what the airlines are actually using.

I think their version of KEs livery, minus the wavy cheat line (it's getting really tired) is great!

n729pa

Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:39 am

Korean Air change their livery??? Are you nuts... oops sorry shouldn't mention Korean Air and nuts.

We hardly need yet another Eurowhite trash livery with billboard titles do we. As for some of these comments about cheatlines or the livery being 1980s (what utter rubbish). Fords corporate logo is very 1920s but then that's what branding is all about. Creating an instantly recognisable image that spans generations. There are a number of Airlines whereby the DNA of their current imagine can be traced back to the 1970s or 80s ...SQ, QF, KL, AZ, IR, TG, SV, VS, PR, AS, LO, AF, MK are a few examples.

Coca-Cola , Carlsberg, Renault, Guinness, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Michelin have all built an identify that is as recognisable today as it would be to someone from the 1960s. So why would BMW disregard their Bavarian heritage by changing their blue and white design to say red and green, just to appaise someone because they think it looks dated? Quality or established brands don't need to keep reinventing their image...

CarlosSi

Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:40 am

If I can’t recognize a livery from far away or can distinguish it from others, that’s usually not a good sign. Unfortunately eventually all liveries will be all-white with some color.... lame.