jetwet1
Topic Author

Flying with a heart condition, help is here

Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:31 am

As maybe one of you will know, I had open heart surgery a few years ago, came through it well, but, one of my big fears is having an issue on a flight. Now chances are there will be a doctor on board, however, from what I have been told most airlines do not outfit their medical packs with EKG's.

This morning I stumbled across this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfsfsZFri9s

I just ordered the 6L version, at $149 while not cheap it's not exactly expensive either.

https://www.alivecor.com/kardiamobile6l

Just to be clear, I have nothing to do with the company, just wanted to spread the word that this is now out there.

Leej

Re: Flying with a heart condition, help is here

Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:43 pm

Wow! Looks like an amazing product. My mum suffered a stroke 2 days prior to Christmas - fortunately she is fine but it seems that AF was indeed the culprit. I'm on the website now looking for the right product - thanks so much for the heads up.

jetwet1
Topic Author

Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:50 pm

Leej wrote:
Wow! Looks like an amazing product. My mum suffered a stroke 2 days prior to Christmas - fortunately she is fine but it seems that AF was indeed the culprit. I'm on the website now looking for the right product - thanks so much for the heads up.

Firstly, I am happy to here she is okay and my pleasure, I was actually shocked that airlines didn't put at least 3 lead EKG's on their long haul flights, the cost of one divert due to a misdiagnosed heart attack is more than the cost of having these on all of an airlines fleet. Of course there is also the added peace of mind for someone like myself.

twicearound

Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:47 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
Leej wrote:

Firstly, I am happy to here she is okay and my pleasure, I was actually shocked that airlines didn't put at least 3 lead EKG's on their long haul flights, the cost of one divert due to a misdiagnosed heart attack is more than the cost of having these on all of an airlines fleet. Of course there is also the added peace of mind for someone like myself.

The reason they are not onboard, is because an EKG is used to diagnose a condition. Flight Attendants are trained to treat symptoms only, not diagnose, as they are not doctors. So if someone is displaying conditions of a heart event, they will be assessed and treated accordingly by the crew, but not diagnosed. Not to be insensitive, but the training and tools provided onboard are for basic life critical situations, airplanes are not free medical clinics. If you need peace of mind, that's on you.

DaveFly

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:40 am

I asked my electrophysicist about the Kardia and the AppleWatch. He said, if it makes you happy, buy one. But it has no diagnostic value. It has to be interpreted by a cardiologist, and if you wind up in a hospital, they have their own equipment.

I don’t know your specific problem. I visit Anet every year or so.

Atrial fibrillation won’t kill you in the short-term. If you’re at risk, you should be on anticoagulants for a long-distance flight. You don’t need Coumadin; Xarelto serves the same purpose.

If your issue is ventricular fibrillation, you shouldn’t even be alive without an implanted ICD, let alone travel anywhere.

I have the good fortune to have both types of arrhythmia! So I’m on my third implanted ICD for VT, and I had a cardiac catheter ablation a few months ago for AT.

I don’t worry about traveling. I use anticoagulants for long flights, and I’ll get shocked by the ICD if I go into VT. I also carry a notice about my heart conditions that I found on the internet, and I carry one copy in English, and one copy in the language of my destination.
L1011,DC8,DC9,DC10,MD80/90
A300,A319,320,321,330,340,
CRJ,E135/45/190,
DH8,Avro85,DHBeaver,AstarHelo,F100,ATR42