Njyashar
Topic Author

Changing planes in Beijing (PEK)

Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:38 pm

Hi,
I’m flying this summer from Tokyo to PEK on JAL and then catching an Air China flight to San Francisco. The tickets are 2 separate ones so how long do you think it will take for me to go through customs, go collect my checked bags, recheck the bags and whatever else that entails before getting back to the terminal for my next flight to SFO? Also will the Chinese authorities go through my bags and confiscate souvenirs that I’ll have from Japan?
Thank you!

TonyBurr

Re: Changing planes in Beijing (PEK)

Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:13 pm

PEK can be a difficult airport to transit. If you are on separate tickets and have to go through Customs and Immigration the very, very minimum would be 3 1/2 hours and even longer.

mickster

Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:13 pm

I would say not less than 3 hours (but perhaps more if this is an airport that you do not know). Make sure that you have a visa that applies to your citizenship / passport. The information on prohibited items is available at http://en.bcia.com.cn/index.html

sk736

Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:31 pm

Njyashar wrote:
Hi,
I’m flying this summer from Tokyo to PEK on JAL and then catching an Air China flight to San Francisco. The tickets are 2 separate ones so how long do you think it will take for me to go through customs, go collect my checked bags, recheck the bags and whatever else that entails before getting back to the terminal for my next flight to SFO? Also will the Chinese authorities go through my bags and confiscate souvenirs that I’ll have from Japan?
Thank you!

It might have been a good idea to ask these questions before you bought your tickets!

gatibosgru

Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:38 pm

I did DTW-PEK on DL and then PEK-ICN on a separate ticket on CZ, 2.5 hours was enough for me to go through customs, grab my bag, re-check it on CZ and then go through security again without panicking, but it wasn't on a crazy busy time. As a general rule, you should always leave enough time for potential delays and other unexpected circumstances. I gave myself 5 hours to deal with it all, and it took me half of it. But I'm still happy I gave myself those 5 hours JUST in case.
@DadCelo

zakuivcustom

Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:50 pm

Just looking at flight schedule, I'm assuming you're on JL21 (HND-PEK), arriving 1220, to change to CA985, departing 1600?

You should be able to make it, although not with lots of time to spared.

As for souvenirs - as long as they're not prohibited item, I don't see why they would be confiscated.

P.S. Is it really THAT much cheaper to get this kind of itinerary? PEK-SFO is (much) cheaper than TYO-SFO, yes, but TYO-PEK is not exactly cheap...

Njyashar
Topic Author

Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:56 pm

My flight on JAL lands at 9:00 PM and my CA flight is at 4:00 PM the next day so time isn’t really a problem. I’m gonna try to sleep in the in airport hotel lounge thing which I have to make a reservation in advance for. I just have to do that after I get my bags so that’s why I was wondering. Will they even let me recheck my bags Or re enter the terminal that early for my flight?

oschkosch

Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:59 pm

How much time do you have? You will need to enter on a TWOV (travel without visa):

https://www.travelchinaguide.com/embass ... 24hour.htm

It really depends on how many people are queuing to get it also. Could be between 20-60 Minutes. Then after grabbing your luggage you need to recheck that luggage and again go through passport and security.

I wouldn't do it with less than 3,5-4 hours

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk
:stirthepot: :airplane: "This airplane is designed by clowns, who in turn are supervised by monkeys" :airplane: :stirthepot:

debonair

Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:31 pm

How many more topics will you open? @ADMIN, PLS CLOSE THIS TOPIC!