NonTechAvLover
Topic Author

What Would You Do? Flight Over Iranian Airspace Tomorrow

Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:39 am

I hope it is not against forum rules to start a topic like this, which is a bit personal in nature, but if not against the rules, I would like to hear what cooler heads think.

I have an Istanbul-SAW flight on Qatar Airways tomorrow. Going to bed last night I was a bit worried about the runway incursion at SAW, which meant very few flights were landing in or taking off from SAW, but I thought that would be cleared by Thursday. I was also a bit worried about the tension in the region.

Then I woke up this morning to the news of the FAA suspension of flights over the Gulf, the crash of the UIA plane and some kind of Iranian retaliation against the U.S. bases in Iraq (though I am not sure about the details of that last one).

If I have to see civilian aircraft dancing amidst weapon fire, I prefer it to be accompanied by the calming presence of Bruce Willis and I doubt he will be on my flight tomorrow.

Not taking the flight means losing a hefty payment I have already made towards a vacation, and flying has the obvious risk or anxiety.

What would you do?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

downdata

Re: What Would You Do? Flight Over Iranian Airspace Tomorrow

Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:55 am

Where are you flying from? Can you arrange an alternate flight to SAW that avoids the conflict zone?

pythoniels

Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:58 am

I’d personally thrust on the advise of the authorities. Seen it after the. MH17 crash that the particular area was being avoided by airlines. That being said, many commercial flights still cross Iraq/Afghanistan etc. Personally I’m not a big fan out of it, but what can you do? Airlines sometimes change the routing a bit.

Avoiding these airspaces is the best and only thing airlines can do. I wouldn’t mind paying some extra $$$ for the extra fuel.
Last edited by pythoniels on Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

NonTechAvLover
Topic Author

Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:17 am

downdata wrote:
Where are you flying from? Can you arrange an alternate flight to SAW that avoids the conflict zone?

I am already in Istanbul.

NonTechAvLover
Topic Author

Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:29 am

pythoniels wrote:
I’d personally thrust on the advise of the authorities. Seen it after the. MH16 crash that the particular area was being avoided by airlines. That being said, many commercial flights still cross Iraq/Afghanistan etc. Personally I’m not a big fan out of it, but what can you do? Airlines sometimes change the routing a bit.

Avoiding these airspaces is the best and only thing airlines can do. I wouldn’t mind paying some extra $$$ for the extra fuel.

With Iraq and Syria also closed to most and Saudi Arabia etc. closed to Qatar, avoidance from Istanbul to Doha becomes pretty impossible without Iran. I guess it can be done but it would be a very, very long flight.

jetwet1

Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:08 pm

I woke up to a company email to let me know my QR flights are cancelled and I would be rebooked on another airline.

LH748

Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:14 pm

I'm sure the Iranians will make sure to not shoot down their allies so you should be safe
306 310 318 319 320 321 333 343 388 ATR72 733 737 738 739 743 744 748 752 753 763 764 772 77W 788 CRJ7 CRJ9 E170 F100 MD11 RJ1H
AA AB AC AF AK AZ BA DE DL EW FD FR HF HG IB IR MF KU LH LT LX OD TG TK TP UA VJ VN WN W6 YP YW

MadameConcorde

Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:05 pm

I am not fearful.
If I have to go somewhere for a good reason, I'll go.

I was in Iran a good number of times. All parts of Iran.
Doing flights on all kinds of Iranian airlines old planes.
Most are gone now so no regret.
Planning to go again in 2020. Kish Air Show and other places.

Lufthansa is my airline of choice to Tehran.
Then I catch the mero to Mehrabad airport and fly off again.

Always hope for the better.
Down your street can be just as unsafe maybe more even.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde