Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Rooftop Jacuzzi at JFK Airport in New York City

Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:47 pm

The rooftop at the TWA Terminal has a pool and lounge that is heated to 95 degrees Fahrenheit. The summer months have fees and food and beverage minimums for visitors to visit the observation deck, but no charge to visit during the winter. The poolside bar has been turned into a Runway Chalet with a 1960 's ski themed winter hideaway that is heated and tented. A vintage fireplace is seen where cocktails can be ordered. Th he heated pool and deck is open from 7 am to 11 pm every day with The Runway Chalet at the Pool Bar open from 11 am to 11 pm daily. It is a very nice attraction to visit during the winter and a form of adaptive reuse of an architecturally significant terminal.
https://www.timeout.com/newyork/news/th ... ter-010820

WayexTDI

Re: Rooftop Jacuzzi at JFK Airport in New York City

Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:09 pm

Heating to 95F a body of water that is sitting outside in frigid temperatures... What a brilliant idea... :roll:
Environmentalist are going after aviation to chase CO2 emissions; they should go after those frivolous set-ups.

AA737-823

Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:19 pm

I stayed at the TWA hotel in September, and absolutely loved it.
Yes, there are some teething issues, as the various travel bloggers reported.
But overall it was a very cool experience, and I've already booked a stay there for my next overnight layover at JFK.
The pool and bar on the roof are just icing on the cake. There's also an ice skating rink outside by the Connie, during this winter!

ssteve

Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:27 pm

Awesome.

MIflyer12

Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:30 pm

Transparent promo for the TWA Hotel?

caliboy93

Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:01 pm

For me, it's all about the plane watching. Hardly any other airport in the world has the variety of airlines and aircraft as JFK

Nicknuzzii

Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:04 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
Heating to 95F a body of water that is sitting outside in frigid temperatures... What a brilliant idea... :roll:
Environmentalist are going after aviation to chase CO2 emissions; they should go after those frivolous set-ups.

Thanks for sharing your lack of knowledge on the subject!

WayexTDI

Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:08 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:

Then how about you educate us???
95F water surrounded by single digit air = huge heat loss = huge heating bill and pollution. All this for frivolous purposes; at least air travel has a much more palpable purpose.

asdf

Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:57 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:

95F water surrounded by single digit air = huge heat loss = huge heating bill and pollution. All this for frivolous purposes; at least air travel has a much more palpable purpose.

a heated pool is in no way frivolous purpose

maybe you first go and educate yourself WHERE in the world the enviroment is abused most ...

ikramerica

Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:23 pm

WayexTDI wrote:

Do you know it’s not heated with renewable clean sources?
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

spinotter

Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:24 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:

How is Nicknuzzii showing his/her lack of knowledge? It is not knowledge which determines which aspects of human energy expenditure are considered as worthwhile or the reverse, but rather of judgment and opinion. I agree with the post - besides, why would anyone want to be in water of that temperature anyway?

wjcandee

Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:46 pm

spinotter wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:

How is Nicknuzzii showing his/her lack of knowledge? It is not knowledge which determines which aspects of human energy expenditure are considered as worthwhile or the reverse, but rather of judgment and opinion. I agree with the post - besides, why would anyone want to be in water of that temperature anyway?

That's what makes the world go around, a diversity of opinions and desires. That he doesn't find something appealing to him doesn't give him the right to prevent others from doing it. If it's not illegal, he should stay out of it. If I purchase an inanimate object, it's mine to do with as I please, even if someone else thinks my consumption of it is wasteful or non-optimal. See -- it's my private property.

By the above logic, people shouldn't fly first class, airlines shouldn't offer more than one flight per day between city-pairs, in the largest possible aircraft, legroom shouldn't exceed 28", amenities in the airport should be prohibited (who needs booze or souveniers, anyway?), mass-transit should be the only permissible way of getting to or from the airport, and on and on. Letting people lock onto "carbon emissions" as a basis to occupy the high moral ground for the purpose of telling other people what they can and can't have turns the entire world into Soviet-era Aeroflot.
Last edited by wjcandee on Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wjcandee

Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:59 pm

By the way, a friend of ours installed that rink at the TWA terminal -- he can basically put a temporary real-ice skating rink anywhere, and an arts organization I'm involved with helped put that together. It's a fabulous and not-well-known-yet amenity, where you can rent skates and skate to your heart's content, whether a guest of the hotel or not. I saw a performance out there next to the Connie the other day, and it was a lot of fun. The whole TWA Saarinen building is now bars, restaurants, event space and a beautiful reading room, perfectly-restored, and exceptionally-well-run. 99 percent of those there when I was there are not airline fans, but a diverse group of regular folks, all having a blast. The Connie is a bar inside, and surprisingly-inviting and fun as such. The more attention this place gets, the more successful it will be, because it's a gem, and word is plainly getting around. A lot of folks there were travelers taking a break between flights.

LabQuest

Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:19 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:

90% of air travel is unnecessary.

Nobody needs to go to Europe for vacation or to fly across the country for a meeting. Its all because we WANT to. Anything else is just justifying your overuse of resources.

jetwet1

Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:59 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:

There are two quick, easy, cheap and non polluting ways to do it.

Tie a heat exchanger into the buildings HVAC system or run a geothermal pump with a heat exchanger. We use both systems at our properties, with geothermal on a closed loop system you have very little cost once it's up and running, you may need a small pump to help lift the water.

spinotter

Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:45 pm

wjcandee wrote:
spinotter wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

That's what makes the world go around, a diversity of opinions and desires. That he doesn't find something appealing to him doesn't give him the right to prevent others from doing it. If it's not illegal, he should stay out of it. If I purchase an inanimate object, it's mine to do with as I please, even if someone else thinks my consumption of it is wasteful or non-optimal. See -- it's my private property.

By the above logic, people shouldn't fly first class, airlines shouldn't offer more than one flight per day between city-pairs, in the largest possible aircraft, legroom shouldn't exceed 28", amenities in the airport should be prohibited (who needs booze or souveniers, anyway?), mass-transit should be the only permissible way of getting to or from the airport, and on and on. Letting people lock onto "carbon emissions" as a basis to occupy the high moral ground for the purpose of telling other people what they can and can't have turns the entire world into Soviet-era Aeroflot.

To put things into perspective, I would recommend that people read the recently published book "Falter" by Bill McKibben (http://billmckibben.com/falter.html). Very serious and scary stuff. Yes, we all can do whatever we please. But in so doing, are we going to kill off most of the terrestrial and oceanic biosphere and put an end to our own species? That is the choice that the human race is now facing.

PlymSpotter

Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:02 pm

I stayed there last week. It's a superb experience in an architectural masterpiece and I would recommend people try it, but there's a few omissions when you look at its functionality purely as a hotel.

What really baffles me is that they have spent a small fortune on marketing and branding across JFK, yet it's not available to book via the OTAs. 99% of travellers have no idea the hotel is even there - coming from a marketing background, I cannot understand or condone this strategy. Indeed the hotel was basically empty when I stayed, not even 10% occupancy. That's got to hurt their numbers.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...