Airstud
Topic Author

How do you bid (for hotel) on priceline?

Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:53 am

Lo, an great epoch hath passed since last the Stud of the Air did biddeth on...

ok never mind. Been a llllllllllong time since I bid yes BID on priceline, you know; that thing where you check a number of boxes each indicating a neighborhood you're willing to stay in, enter the price you think you're going to get away with, then SUBMIT the bid and the system would do its thing; the caveat was that if it found an hotel (you never knew the identities of the participating hotels before you clicked SUBMIT) then right then and there you ARE BOOKED and your credit card is charged, nonrefundable. If your offer didn't get accepted you could of course increment your bid but unless you made some changes (different hotel calibre, different neighborhoods) you couldn't submit the incremented bid until 24 hours had elapsed.

I liked that system because it nearly always put me in a really nice place, and the worst place it put me in was still acceptable. (Millennium Hotel in Minneapolis. Gross.)

I've just explored the priceline site 'cause I'm trying to get a room in New Haven in mid-February and when I click "Name Your Own Price" in the sitemap... it doesn't give me anything I recognize.

Can you even still do this bidding thing on priceline anymore, as I described it? What's changed...

And if my ol pal priceline isn't the way to get the toppest hotel at the bottomest price these days... what way do you recommend?

Gracias.
Pancakes are delicious.

dfwjim1

Re: How do you bid (for hotel) on priceline?

Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:58 am

I use Priceline fairly frequently and indeed the bidding option has been done away with. For hotels, Priceline now features "Express Deals" in which one can get a good price for a hotel. The catch is that the name of the hotel is not provided until the customer reserves.

FriscoHeavy

Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:22 am

dfwjim1 wrote:
I use Priceline fairly frequently and indeed the bidding option has been done away with. For hotels, Priceline now features "Express Deals" in which one can get a good price for a hotel. The catch is that the name of the hotel is not provided until the customer reserves.

You can still bid, As I still do it occasionally. You just have to dig a little deeper for it.
Whatever

alo2yyz

Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:41 am

I just googled "name your own price hotel priceline" and the bidding page was like the 4th or 5th thing down on the search results.

Airstud
Topic Author

Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:26 am

alo2yyz wrote:
I just googled "name your own price hotel priceline" and the bidding page was like the 4th or 5th thing down on the search results.

Can you share a link?
Pancakes are delicious.

alo2yyz

Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:36 pm

Airstud wrote:
alo2yyz wrote:

Can you share a link?

https://www.priceline.com/hotels/startO ... Y&plf=PCLN

pwm2txlhopper

Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:39 pm

For quick trips, only a few nights, I use Hotwire’s secret deals. Basically the same as Priceline. I like it better because it gives you slightly more information about where you’re staying and you can often figure out which hotel you’re booking by comparing the full ammenities to the non-discounted hotels list for the hotels in your select area. Unlike Priceline, it also shows resort fees and parking charges and that can make it easier to figure out what you’re booking if you do your research of hotels in the given area.

I’ve generally found that if I stick to four star or higher hotels with greater than 85% positive rating, than theyre usually all right. Also, subtract a half star for whichever respective star rating is given. For example, if it shows you’re booking a 4 star, it’s likely really a 3.5. It’s its a 3.5, that’s probably a three star hotel.

I will not use these secret deals for anything less than 3.5 star, or anything rated lower than 75% approval rating. Often, I’ll save up to 50% off the nightly rates. Of course, you’ll get the room without a view, or maybe the rooms that hasn’t been renovated. But if I’m not there for a nice vacation and just need a decent room to crash, I don’t care. I’ve also gotten the good rooms with a view on occasion.

This site is a huge help identifying what you’re booking. It’s not guaranteed though.

New Haven
https://www.betterbidding.com/index.php ... T#ffmenuWB