Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

caliboy93
Topic Author

Overweight section on planes?

Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:50 pm

I hate to say this, but given the rise in physically overweight people worldwide, would it make sense for airlines to add a section that caters to this population, where they have bigger seats? They have to travel too for business, fun, family visits, etc.

Web500sjc

Re: Overweight section on planes?

Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:54 pm

First and Business class have wider and more spacious seats...
Boiler Up!

tonystan

Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:55 pm

Eh, it’s called premium economy OR business class OR First class!

Obesity is not an illness.
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

deltaSEAalsaka

Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:06 pm

There would also be numerous discrimination lawsuits against the airlines. People aren't always going to want to admit that they need an extra big seat. Imagine the PR nightmares that airlines would have if they were having to tell certain people which seats they could and couldn't book based on body size.
There is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people asking questions.

Gasman

Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:22 pm

caliboy93 wrote:
I hate to say this, but given the rise in physically overweight people worldwide, would it make sense for airlines to add a section that caters to this population, where they have bigger seats? They have to travel too for business, fun, family visits, etc.

No, but I think seat size and cabin density should be regulated.

IPFreely

Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:14 am

Gasman wrote:
No, but I think seat size and cabin density should be regulated.

It is regulated, at least indirectly, by evacuation time requirements. Beyond that, you get what you pay for.

Jetty

Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:38 am

tonystan wrote:

Not on Thai :D viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1439831

:checkmark:

IPFreely

Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:43 am

tonystan wrote:

I agree with you. But I was just stunned to learn that Air Canada considers obesity to be a disability -- and obese passengers can request and receive an extra seat free of charge:

https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/the- ... ngers.html

The truly amazing thing is that every passenger who buys a ticket on AC does not request this!

FlyHossD

Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:53 am

I had a classmate who played in the NFL. He was 6'7" and 295 pounds during his playing days. And I guarantee you, he wasn't fat! Quite the contrary, he was very muscular. These days, he weighs around 320 pounds.

But yes, he takes up a lot of space. So when he travels, he spends the cash for first class (except on WN, for obvious reasons).
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

DanniS

Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:14 am

tonystan wrote:

It isn't and it is. It has a pretty strong negative feedback loop on making you constantly hungry and depressed. At some point there is an addiction component to it and requires professional help. Now, getting there the first time, 999 times out of 1000 is by choice, and for those 999 people, they should bear the full consequence.

krisyyz

Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:33 am

IPFreely wrote:
tonystan wrote:

I agree with you. But I was just stunned to learn that Air Canada considers obesity to be a disability -- and obese passengers can request and receive an extra seat free of charge:

https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/the- ... ngers.html

The truly amazing thing is that every passenger who buys a ticket on AC does not request this!

In Canada, some Human Rights Tribunals and Courts have ruled that obesity is a disability in certain cases, especially if it’s caused by a chronic illness or injury.

I doubt AC wants to go down that legal rabbit hole.

KrisYYZ

Jetty

Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:35 am

We could call it ‘Ballast Class’.

zkncj

Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:45 am

Surely it becomes an safety issue? I’ve often some people on my flight could fit through an over wing exit!

Surely they would slow an an EVAC?

Aesma

Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:46 am

I'm overweight and sometimes need an extension, although I mostly fit in an economy seat. One time flying for business with the booking not made by me, I was assigned a seat when registering at the airport (instead of the usual online matter). I didn't ask for anything, and was given an exit row seat, on a 738. Turns out we were 3 big guys sat in that row. Not sure that was the right call security wise, although I wouldn't call any of us disabled.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

WesternDC6B

Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:17 am

tonystan wrote:

Neither is having a build where your shoulders have their own postal codes.
Never employ grandios verbiage when the utilisation of diminutive phraseology will suffice.

kanban

Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:18 am

one time flying on NWA, due to a previous flight being cancelled, I ended up in the center section facing the bulkhead. the seats on either side were occupied by some professional wrestlers.. and not small. we almost had to take turns breathing. and did alternate eating since there wasn't room enough to lift a fork. not to mention every one was too big for the tray table to be level, so those not eating hell the tray for those who were eating... by the way the manager was about 5 ft and 100 lbs --- he was in first class.

NameOmitted

Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:42 am

6'10" and 320 lbs. here. Premium economy is fantastic.

DanniS

Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:48 am

WesternDC6B wrote:
tonystan wrote:

To be fair, in a 787 you don't have to have a wide build to be rubbing shoulder to shoulder in Economy.

MIflyer12

Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:54 am

zkncj wrote:
Surely it becomes an safety issue? I’ve often some people on my flight could fit through an over wing exit!

Surely they would slow an an EVAC?

So do wheelchair-bound users, and they have rights to air travel under U.S. law.

Spacepope

Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:59 am

DanniS wrote:
WesternDC6B wrote:
tonystan wrote:

To be fair, in a 787 you don't have to have a wide build to be rubbing shoulder to shoulder in Economy.

No kidding, but my last flight from DEN to LHR the dude next to me took up all his seat and half of mine. A miserable 9 hours for me. A COS in economy shouldn’t intrude on another passenger, full stop.
The last of the famous international playboys

northstardc4m

Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:59 am

WesternDC6B wrote:
tonystan wrote:

Exactly

I have had it with these threads... so I am going to give a piece of my mind...

Until you have suffered for a week in knee pain because an airline bumped you into a middle seat without enough legroom because of overbooking.

Until you have suffered back pain because everything from chairs to toilets are too short

Until you have gotten shoulder pain for a week or more from being forced to sit in narrow seats between other people with width issues...

Until you have hit your head again on something low hanging...

If you have never suffered the above shut up... These are not exaggerations. This world doesn't one size fits and all are of your attitudes bandied about in these threads are insulting and demeaning. We don't choose to be tall, we don't choose to have wide shoulders... Yet you bark on and on like we are all fat overeating slobs that ride around Walmart on scooters and are somehow a detriment to your lives. We are tall, we are wide shouldered, we don't fit the same space are someone who isn't and we don't choose it, we can't change it, we will never be 5' 0, 90lbs.

I am 6'4, I have wide shoulders, I have suffered all of the above, I am according to my doctors healthy weight, I have no elevated diabetic risks, excellent cholesterol, etc etc

Those of you barking that we should have to buy first class seats or pay extra for something we can't control is wrong, demeaning, and insulting... If not hypocritical and ignorant as well if you can't claim to have suffered issues due to anything you can't control.

So until you can say you've had to have physio over and over again because you are too tall to fit seating everywhere and either have to bend into uncomfortable positions for hours or stand for hours to fit at all in ever reduced space AND have to buy clothes that are more expensive because your shoulders are wide AND had suffer day after day stooped to work in a confined space because your job required you to then stop talking about difficulties in life you have no understanding of or concept of having to live with. There is little difference between these attitudes and racism, anti-Semitism or sexism... It IS discrimination and it IS wrong.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

stl07

Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:15 am

northstardc4m wrote:
WesternDC6B wrote:
tonystan wrote:

Exactly

I have had it with these threads... so I am going to give a piece of my mind...

Until you have suffered for a week in knee pain because an airline bumped you into a middle seat without enough legroom because of overbooking.

Until you have suffered back pain because everything from chairs to toilets are too short

Until you have gotten shoulder pain for a week or more from being forced to sit in narrow seats between other people with width issues...

Until you have hit your head again on something low hanging...

If you have never suffered the above shut up... These are not exaggerations. This world doesn't one size fits and all are of your attitudes bandied about in these threads are insulting and demeaning. We don't choose to be tall, we don't choose to have wide shoulders... Yet you bark on and on like we are all fat overeating slobs that ride around Walmart on scooters and are somehow a detriment to your lives. We are tall, we are wide shouldered, we don't fit the same space are someone who isn't and we don't choose it, we can't change it, we will never be 5' 0, 90lbs.

I am 6'4, I have wide shoulders, I have suffered all of the above, I am according to my doctors healthy weight, I have no elevated diabetic risks, excellent cholesterol, etc etc

Those of you barking that we should have to buy first class seats or pay extra for something we can't control is wrong, demeaning, and insulting... If not hypocritical and ignorant as well if you can't claim to have suffered issues due to anything you can't control.

So until you can say you've had to have physio over and over again because you are too tall to fit seating everywhere and either have to bend into uncomfortable positions for hours or stand for hours to fit at all in ever reduced space AND have to buy clothes that are more expensive because your shoulders are wide AND had suffer day after day stooped to work in a confined space because your job required you to then stop talking about difficulties in life you have no understanding of or concept of having to live with. There is little difference between these attitudes and racism, anti-Semitism or sexism... It IS discrimination and it IS wrong.

"HEHEHEH this whole post was a stupid rant and you are just triggered and need to fork over more for F and stop complaining" -90% of a.netters
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

VV

Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:02 am

caliboy93 wrote:

The seats will have higher fare too.

And also special emergency exit doors for the section.

ltbewr

Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:17 pm

The issue of Customers of Size is much like the discussion of Emotional Support Animals and demands to push for reforms many don't want to deal with.

Years ago, a COS could be accommodated easier as planes were less crowded, had greater seat spacing, there was not coach seat pricing that was specific to a given seat with many seeking the cheapest fare, no social media or internet to let the world know of complaints, no laws against discrimination due to body size or disability. COS's believe they should not be required to purchase a more costly seat, that the airlines cannot discriminate. Airlines have a serious fear of lawsuits if they were to force COS's to purchase a 2nd seat or a premium fare seat. Not all COS's can afford to travel if they had to buy a more expensive seat. Politicians will demand the airlines accommodate COS's. I don't think any of us have a good answer that can get past the conflicting issues dealing with COS's.

johns624

Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:11 pm

DanniS wrote:
WesternDC6B wrote:
tonystan wrote:

It's not the plane, it's the interior that's selected.

johns624

Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:03 pm

So is it that seats are too small or people are too fat? I'd go with the latter since NB jets have always been 3-3 and people didn't complain about the seats in the "old days". Legroom may be a bit less, but that only really matters with tall people, not fat ones.

Motorhussy

Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:58 pm

I think a section of Y with more expensive, wider seats with slightly better pitch but standard Y class service - would be a good option. And one that larger people should be obliged to take. I’m not going on another long haul flight ever next to someone who invades my seat space because they’re too big for their own.
come visit the south pacific

TheFlyingDisk

Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:41 am

Wouldn't an overweight section be problematic, balance wise?
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

northstardc4m

Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:17 am

johns624 wrote:
So is it that seats are too small or people are too fat? I'd go with the latter since NB jets have always been 3-3 and people didn't complain about the seats in the "old days". Legroom may be a bit less, but that only really matters with tall people, not fat ones.
Seats have gotten shallower, and armrests shorter.

And a question is how many passengers are actually too obese to fit in a seat? Not don't fit for any other reason but specifically spill over the arm rests? Not need a seat belt extension, not can't pull the tray table down properly but actually take the space of other passengers... I mean I've sat next to big people and never really had issue where they spilled over... So really what percentage of passengers are these threads actually complaining about because people love to overreact and over reach and paint everyone that doesn't fit the same way and... I don't think I need to start on this again.

My guess is it is a far smaller number than these threads would love to make us believe and feel the need to complain about.

Shoulders yes... Can't really do anything about that.

Manspreading yes ( and that's a different discussion again)

Spreading their papers or food containers out yes

But rolls of body... Never had it happen.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

johns624

Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:25 am

I think some here are wimps in real life and are afraid to put down the armrest as soon as they sit down. I've done it a few times with mildly obese people and never had a problem. Some people won't stand up for themselves but then come to a.net crying about not being able to move in their seats.

VSMUT

Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:55 am

johns624 wrote:

Your average narrowbody jet hasn't changed and I would suggest that regional jets like the E-jet and A220 have even improved on seat width. Long haul jets are a different story though. Getting onto a 737 from a 9-abreast Turkish Airlines 777 felt way more comfortable and spacious, and I haven't even tried a 10-abreast 777 yet, nor a 10-abreast LCC A350. To make matters worse, flights on those are much longer too.

IMO, my solution to overweight travelers spilling onto my seat and other pestilences of air travel is just to fly less. Outside of work I very rarely take the plane, haven't flown for vacation in two and a half years. At work I am fortunate enough to get business class 99% of the time, but if I didn't, I'd find a new job.

FGITD

Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:14 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Wouldn't an overweight section be problematic, balance wise?

In reality, yes. Most of the airlines I've been involved with have some kind of special handling requirement for excessive "passengers of size." But it's generally in reference to having say, a rugby team or an NFL team travel. Situations where it's not just some overweight people scattered about, but rather a concentration of larger people/equipment.

Also the aircraft I've worked in those cases are not narrows or RJs where weight/balance of passengers plays a huge role day to day. These were 777s, 747s, 340s etc, where generally the biggest weight and balance issue is moving a pallet or a few cans forward or aft.