Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

boeing773er
Topic Author

Thoughts on 40 Minute LAX Layover HNL-EWR?

Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:12 am

Good Evening,

I'm trying to book a flight home from HNL and I see UA has multiple connection opportunities for these super short layovers in LAX (sub 1-hour). I've never connected through LAX, and I'm typically very anxious about short layovers.

I'm looking at two options:
UA 2036 HNL - LAX

*39 minute layover from 11:30p-12:15A*

UA 402 LAX - EWR

OR
UA 1229 HNL - LAX

*42 minute layover from 5:33a to 6:15A*

UA 1105 LAX - EWR

Is LAX typically easy to connect through at this early hours and usually pretty empty? Would these connections be long enough?
Work Hard, Fly Right.

Yflyer

Re: Thoughts on 40 Minute LAX Layover HNL-EWR?

Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:48 am

Since both flights are on UA, they should both be in Terminal 7/8. It's been a while since I've been to LAX, but if I remember correctly T8 is mostly regional jets, so I'm guessing both of your flights will be in T7. But I'm not 100% sure, so don't quote me on that. Either way, both terminals are connected airside, so it's no big deal to walk from one to the other, although you might want to walk fast. In other words, it should be doable if everything is on time. But just to be safe, I'd recomend the earlier flight. That way if you don't make it they can at least rebook you on the later one.

ChuckSchumer

Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:08 am

Yflyer wrote:
Since both flights are on UA, they should both be in Terminal 7/8. It's been a while since I've been to LAX, but if I remember correctly T8 is mostly regional jets, so I'm guessing both of your flights will be in T7. But I'm not 100% sure, so don't quote me on that. Either way, both terminals are connected airside, so it's no big deal to walk from one to the other, although you might want to walk fast. In other words, it should be doable if everything is on time. But just to be safe, I'd recomend the earlier flight. That way if you don't make it they can at least rebook you on the later one.

You’re exactly right, both flights will leave from Terminal 7. Shouldn’t be more than a 10 minute walk if your gates are on either ends of the terminal.

UALFAson

Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:15 am

Given that the layovers are both relatively short, I think the more pressing question is whether you would rather have your red-eye be the first or second flight. Personally, I would rather have an almost full day in HNL, then take the red-eye to LAX and try to sleep some, then you have the LAX-EWR segment to keep dozing and/or to start to wake up.

I would have a much harder time spending 5 hours sitting on a plane on a daytime HNL-LAX flight then immediately get on another 5-hour flight LAX-EWR and try to sleep.

But yes, both of your flights will almost definitely arrive and depart from Terminal 7 @ LAX, so you should easily be able to make either connection.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

eta unknown

Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:42 am

My thoughts are even if you made the connection your luggage probably won't.

Kno

Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:37 pm

eta unknown wrote:

This.

Booking connections under an hour is just asking for lost luggage and anxiety.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:34 pm

At LAX, connections are a breeze - as long as they are in terminals connected airside. Either connection should be fine, and if you are flying eastbound, there's a good chance you'll be arriving earlier than the scheduled arrival time.

Yes, there's always a chance your luggage will get delayed - that's true at any airport. But I've connected at LAX (mainline to mainline and Express to Mainline/Mainline to Express), and my bags have always made it, even with a short layover.

Given also that UA runs nearly hourly flights from LAX to EWR, if you miss your original flight, you'll get on one of the next ones.

dfwjim1

Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:58 pm

boeing773er wrote:
Good Evening,

I'm trying to book a flight home from HNL and I see UA has multiple connection opportunities for these super short layovers in LAX (sub 1-hour). I've never connected through LAX, and I'm typically very anxious about short layovers.

I'm looking at two options:
UA 2036 HNL - LAX

*39 minute layover from 11:30p-12:15A*

UA 402 LAX - EWR

OR
UA 1229 HNL - LAX

If your anxious about a short layover why don't you allow more times between flights?

*42 minute layover from 5:33a to 6:15A*

UA 1105 LAX - EWR

Is LAX typically easy to connect through at this early hours and usually pretty empty? Would these connections be long enough?

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:54 pm

Kno wrote:
eta unknown wrote:

This.

Booking connections under an hour is just asking for lost luggage and anxiety.

But, then, the airline delivers the bags to your hotel. Never travel without an emergency 36 hours of clothes, personal needs in carry-on, check everything else. Makes the gate triathlon easier.

IPFreely

Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:57 am

With UA having LAX-EWR flights nearly every hour, if you're worried about a 0:40 connection it seems like you could choose the next flight for a 1:40 connection.

aklrno

Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:25 pm

LAX rarely has arrival delays due to congestion or weather especially the hours you are considering. As long as there is no runway construction (and I don't think any is scheduled soon) UA connections are very easy. As someone pointed out you might have a 10 minute walk, usually less. I'd be more worried about a delay on the departure from HNL. Even with a 40 minute connect your bags will probably be at the aircraft before you board. They don't have to travel very far either.

MrBretz

Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:03 pm

Normally, you’ll get to LAX early since the jet stream will be behind you. My guess is you have time for a BK breakfast. And should you be late, UA has many flights to EWR.

Going the other way, I have had a 30 minute connection. My inbound was late, I all but ran to my gate and got there after scheduled departure. As soon as we were seated, they closed the doors and we left the gate. The FA told me they knew we were coming and waited. I have trouble believing that but that’s what I was told.