Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
lessredtape
Topic Author
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:57 am

Lack of snow in Japan – not good for flights next winter

Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:45 am

Many people seem to book their snow holidays based on previous seasons snow.

https://www.snocountry.com/news/entry/j ... in-decades



Many 1000s of Australians head to Japan every northern winter, for various reasons.

1) Perception it’s cheap (not really)

2) Perception lots of snow (not this season)

3) Perception it’s a lot closer to Australia than USA/Canada (it is a few hours closer, that's all)


With USA now by far the cheapest place to ski, might be a shift to USA or will the Japanese & airlines drop prices to counter the negative effect ?
 
cedarjet
Posts: 8779
Joined: Mon May 24, 1999 1:12 am

Re: Lack of snow in Japan – not good for flights next winter

Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:44 am

I think a lack of snow that demonstrates how far along the climate change graph we have gone is scarier for our civilisation’s ability to survive in its current form than for Qantas to fill their nightly 747 to Tokyo
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz
 
User avatar
Spiderguy252
Posts: 1166
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:58 am

Re: Lack of snow in Japan – not good for flights next winter

Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:03 am

cedarjet wrote:
I think a lack of snow that demonstrates how far along the climate change graph we have gone is scarier for our civilisation’s ability to survive in its current form than for Qantas to fill their nightly 747 to Tokyo


Game, set and match. End thread.
Vahroone
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8252
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Lack of snow in Japan – not good for flights next winter

Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:22 am

lessredtape wrote:

With USA now by far the cheapest place to ski, might be a shift to USA or will the Japanese & airlines drop prices to counter the negative effect ?


The USA is very expensive compared to Japan from Australia with the AUD at 68c. Japan will do just fine. Niseko is doing fine for snow cover and that is where the majority of Aussies go
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
User avatar
jfklganyc
Posts: 5867
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:31 pm

Re: Lack of snow in Japan – not good for flights next winter

Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:50 am

There is a lack of snow in a lot of places this year: Just ask people from Denver to NYC to Chicago to Paris to Moscow

Warmer winters with less snow may be the new norm
 
User avatar
andrefranca
Posts: 904
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:10 am

Re: Lack of snow in Japan – not good for flights next winter

Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:04 am

Guys, climate change, expect tours to Antarctica to skyrocket the following years....
 
m66
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:07 am

Re: Lack of snow in Japan – not good for flights next winter

Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:30 am

andrefranca wrote:
Guys, climate change, expect tours to Antarctica to skyrocket the following years....


So that we can watch it melting?
 
ikarlson
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:04 am

Re: Lack of snow in Japan – not good for flights next winter

Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:46 am

jfklganyc wrote:
There is a lack of snow in a lot of places this year: Just ask people from Denver to NYC to Chicago to Paris to Moscow

Warmer winters with less snow may be the new norm


That's a good thing, less to pay for heating and don't need to dig out a car every morning. Japanese travelers go to European alps for skiing. Japan got so many more things to show for travels, then just couple ski resorts, I am sure they won't even notice that couple 1000 travelers from abroad won't come to ski.
 
User avatar
conaly
Posts: 402
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 10:50 pm

Re: Lack of snow in Japan – not good for flights next winter

Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:50 am

And there I am sitting at the airport, waiting for my flight to Tokyo. And on Sunday to Sapporo. Looks I won't be surprised with a nice snowy landscape...
Airports 2019: ADB, ALG, AMD, ATL, BOG, BOS, CDG, CTS, DEL, DTW, DUS, EWR, FRA, FUK, HAM, HFT, HIJ, HND, HVG, IST, ITM, JFK, MUC, NGO, NUE, OKA, PHL, SIN, STN, TOS, YYZ, ZRH
Airports 2020: ALG, CTS, FRA, HKG, HND, MSQ, MUC, NUE, TLV, ZRH
 
oldannyboy
Posts: 2561
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:28 am

Re: Lack of snow in Japan – not good for flights next winter

Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:06 pm

lessredtape wrote:
Many people seem to book their snow holidays based on previous seasons snow.

https://www.snocountry.com/news/entry/j ... in-decades



Many 1000s of Australians head to Japan every northern winter, for various reasons.

1) Perception it’s cheap (not really)

2) Perception lots of snow (not this season)

3) Perception it’s a lot closer to Australia than USA/Canada (it is a few hours closer, that's all)


With USA now by far the cheapest place to ski, might be a shift to USA or will the Japanese & airlines drop prices to counter the negative effect ?


Oh wow. Big drama. Really. I mean, not being able to ski in your summer. Not climate change of course. :stirthepot:

Or else Australians could actually stick to skiing in 'the right season', and fly to the NZ Alps, which are much closer and frankly probably a lot more scenic???
 
lessredtape
Topic Author
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:57 am

Re: Lack of snow in Japan – not good for flights next winter

Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:43 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
lessredtape wrote:

With USA now by far the cheapest place to ski, might be a shift to USA or will the Japanese & airlines drop prices to counter the negative effect ?


The USA is very expensive compared to Japan from Australia with the AUD at 68c. Japan will do just fine. Niseko is doing fine for snow cover and that is where the majority of Aussies go
that's the point, USA is much cheaper than Japan when comparing apples with apples, despite the exchange rate.

You can get lift tickets in Colorado for $37 U.S. for an adult for a day with 4 kids free. Accommodation on snow is also cheap, if you know where to get it & you won't get these deals online.

Plenty of snow in Colorado right now & some friends who have just returned said they almost had too much.
 
lessredtape
Topic Author
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:57 am

Re: Lack of snow in Japan – not good for flights next winter

Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:45 pm

oldannyboy wrote:
lessredtape wrote:
Many people seem to book their snow holidays based on previous seasons snow.

https://www.snocountry.com/news/entry/j ... in-decades



Many 1000s of Australians head to Japan every northern winter, for various reasons.

1) Perception it’s cheap (not really)

2) Perception lots of snow (not this season)

3) Perception it’s a lot closer to Australia than USA/Canada (it is a few hours closer, that's all)


With USA now by far the cheapest place to ski, might be a shift to USA or will the Japanese & airlines drop prices to counter the negative effect ?


Oh wow. Big drama. Really. I mean, not being able to ski in your summer. Not climate change of course. :stirthepot:

Or else Australians could actually stick to skiing in 'the right season', and fly to the NZ Alps, which are much closer and frankly probably a lot more scenic???

NZskiing is very very basic with virtually no on snow accommodation & small hills with fickle snow & often strong winds belting in from Antartica. I would even bother going there & it's not even cheap. Sometimes it's cheaper to fly from Australia to LAX return than to Queenstown return.
 
airbazar
Posts: 10079
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Lack of snow in Japan – not good for flights next winter

Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:03 pm

lessredtape wrote:
With USA now by far the cheapest place to ski, might be a shift to USA or will the Japanese & airlines drop prices to counter the negative effect ?

Where do you get that from? As a skier, living in the U,S. I don't know what the costs of skiing in Japan are but here's how I rank the areas I've been to from cheapest to most expensive:
Europe - without any doubt the cheapest, especially Austria.
Canada - Cheaper than the U.S.
U.S. - Most expensive.
Having said that, skiers know that snow fall varies wildly from season to season so I don't think this year's snow fall will have much of an effect on next year's bookings.
lessredtape wrote:
You can get lift tickets in Colorado for $37 U.S. for an adult for a day with 4 kids free.

That's not called a ski resort. I believe that's the slush pile in the back of a hockey rink. Seriously, where in the Rockies can you get that? I just came from a vacation in Breckenridge the the window price for a lift ticket is over $200/day for an adult.
 
WaywardMemphian
Posts: 1477
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 pm

Re: Lack of snow in Japan – not good for flights next winter

Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:28 pm

cedarjet wrote:
I think a lack of snow that demonstrates how far along the climate change graph we have gone is scarier for our civilisation’s ability to survive in its current form than for Qantas to fill their nightly 747 to Tokyo


Shhhhhh, don't tell anyone but places like Jackson Hole has seen record snow this season plus there's those cool geothermal thingys just up the road that's really cool to see in the winter. Shhhhhh don't tell anyone but human's ability at producing food is off the charts
 
WeatherPilot
Posts: 555
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:51 am

Re: Lack of snow in Japan – not good for flights next winter

Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:31 pm

It is what it is. The Sun controls the weather and there’s Jack sh*t you can do about the Sun.
 
Nicoeddf
Posts: 960
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:13 am

Re: Lack of snow in Japan – not good for flights next winter

Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:59 pm

WeatherPilot wrote:
It is what it is. The Sun controls the weather and there’s Jack sh*t you can do about the Sun.


ehm, what?
Enslave yourself to the divine disguised as salvation
that your bought with your sacrifice
Deception justified for your holy design
High on our platform spewing out your crimes
from the altar of god
 
User avatar
airportugal310
Posts: 3601
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:49 pm

Re: Lack of snow in Japan – not good for flights next winter

Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:56 pm

Guess there's no snow in Japan

https://www.foxnews.com/world/avalanche ... ski-resort

Must have been all that dirt...
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”
 
lessredtape
Topic Author
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:57 am

Re: Lack of snow in Japan – not good for flights next winter

Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:00 pm

airbazar wrote:
lessredtape wrote:
With USA now by far the cheapest place to ski, might be a shift to USA or will the Japanese & airlines drop prices to counter the negative effect ?

Where do you get that from? As a skier, living in the U,S. I don't know what the costs of skiing in Japan are but here's how I rank the areas I've been to from cheapest to most expensive:
Europe - without any doubt the cheapest, especially Austria.
Canada - Cheaper than the U.S.
U.S. - Most expensive.
Having said that, skiers know that snow fall varies wildly from season to season so I don't think this year's snow fall will have much of an effect on next year's bookings.
lessredtape wrote:
You can get lift tickets in Colorado for $37 U.S. for an adult for a day with 4 kids free.

That's not called a ski resort. I believe that's the slush pile in the back of a hockey rink. Seriously, where in the Rockies can you get that? I just came from a vacation in Breckenridge the the window price for a lift ticket is over $200/day for an adult.

sorry to clarify - much cheaper for Australians to ski in USA, than Americans. Australians all get 4 weeks minimum paid leave & at a 17.5% loading. Some, like teachers, university lecturers etc. get up to 3 months paid holidays a year, so resorts in USA love Australians cos they stay longer much longer.

One Colorado resort said average stay by Americans less than 4 nights, whereas Australians on average stay nearly 14 nights.

Years ago, many Australians had week at 1 resort & then another week at another. Much of that has been killed off, by resorts offering huge long stay discounts.

Does anyone actually buy $200 lift tickets for a day ? Think that's a bit like hotels saying a certain % off. % off what ? A ficticious rack rate, that no one ever pays, bu they discount off.

Few years ago, we skied Breck. We had a voucher for lift tickets. Think we got 6 days out of 7 for USD$350. There was some issue with our voucher, which took 15 mins to sort out. In the time we waited, not one person bought a full priced ticket. All had either vouchers, or coupons or some sort of discount voucher.

The Canadians love to tell everyone that skiing in Canada is for some reason cheaper than USA cos of exchange rate. This is a con, as we have looked at cheaper smaller resorts in Canada to save $$$ but work out more expensive than major U.S. resorts.

The other thing is it's much cheaper to get to U.S. resorts than to Canada. So much competition now to fly to USA - LAX, SFO, DFW, ORD, HOU all have or will have very shortly nonstop flights from Australian east coast cities. BNE/SFO starts in a week & BNE/ORD starts next month I believe, plus all the cheap 1 stop options via NZ or Fiji.

Anyway, back on topic. Have spoken to a few OZ tour operators who all say, the previous winter snowfall has huge impact on ski holiday bookings. People have VERY short memories.

Places like Colorado always have good snow, especially by Australian standards (yes we have small ski resorts who are lucky if they get to open 12 weeks a year)

So with Coronavirus & article in news on how poor snow is in Japan (even if not accurate - am sure some Japanese resorts have some snow) how will airlines fill aircraft, resorts fill with Australians ? Suggest might be cut backs to frequency of many flights.
 
lessredtape
Topic Author
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:57 am

Re: Lack of snow in Japan – not good for flights next winter

Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:02 am

just notified that prices in Colorado for next ski season 2020-2021 will be out early March. Guess with coronavirus, lack of snow in some part of EU & Japan & recession in Australia, resorts are realising, that the earlier they get prices out, the more bookings they will get, especially if early deals are cheap as previous years.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos