Airstud
Topic Author

Taxi stand bureaucracy

Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:40 am

I arrived at MSP on flight 120 on Friday morning and grabbed meself a taxicab.

I think I remember arriving at the Lindbergh terminal in the past and, on arriving at the taxi stand, being asked by an attendant apparently in the airport's employ if I was seeking a taxi; upon answering yes I'd be given a little card. There were no numbers (like you take at the deli counter) or bar codes or anything else that could have possibly had utility, just basically a silly little card (probably with an ad or two for some local business) that I also didn't have to surrender to the cabbie either. (I thinkthis has been the case at MSP; it might have been SFO but I usually took either BART or samTrans home from SFO).

I think whoever was performing this duty at the Humphrey terminal Friday morning was windexing her desk or something; so when I arrived at that there taxi stand I was not detained by any card-dealing rituals. There was only one cab there, naturally I breezed through the door and a couple seconds later a female voice called after me, "Taxi?"

Uh, at that point, I was handing my bags TO THE TAXI DRIVER, so really, the need to questionwhether I want a taxi arises from....?

Who are these attendants? What the heck is the point of these cards? On what pain did the attendantess absolutely have to ask "Taxi?" of a man who had just, with reverberating obviousness, procured a taxi for himself?
Pancakes are delicious.

VSMUT

Re: Taxi stand bureaucracy

Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:05 pm

I don't know about the MSP green card thing, but organized taxi systems are a good thing that need to be expanded to more cities worldwide. It helps prevent customers from being scammed.

That said, the method in London Luton is a mess.

AeroLogical

Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:29 pm

VSMUT wrote:
I don't know about the MSP green card thing, but organized taxi systems are a good thing that need to be expanded to more cities worldwide. It helps prevent customers from being scammed.

Absolutely agree. I was recently impressed with the system at the bus terminals in Mexico City, where you pay at an official kiosk before even entering the cab. Such a system helps prevent the driver scamming you.

The absolute worst experience I've ever had with this was in Tbilisi, where I was harassed and threatened by a man in the terminal. Followed outside. Tried to get an "official" cab, but the man who was harassing me talked to the cab drivers in Georgian and none of them would take me after. It was disheartening and really set a bad initial tone for the country.

VSMUT

Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:02 pm

AeroLogical wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Absolutely agree. I was recently impressed with the system at the bus terminals in Mexico City, where you pay at an official kiosk before even entering the cab. Such a system helps prevent the driver scamming you.

The absolute worst experience I've ever had with this was in Tbilisi, where I was harassed and threatened by a man in the terminal. Followed outside. Tried to get an "official" cab, but the man who was harassing me talked to the cab drivers in Georgian and none of them would take me after. It was disheartening and really set a bad initial tone for the country.

Sounds like Bucharest. They really do set a bad initial tone for a country when you visit for the first time.

alggag

Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:08 pm

AeroLogical wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

They can still play games. On my most recent trip to Mexico City I wasn’t paying attention and they “upgraded” me to a bigger, more expensive vehicle.

AeroLogical

Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:26 pm

alggag wrote:
AeroLogical wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

They can still play games. On my most recent trip to Mexico City I wasn’t paying attention and they “upgraded” me to a bigger, more expensive vehicle.

Fair enough! I had a good experience but I imagine there are always going to be pitfalls. For me, still stands heads and shoulders above having to pay 4 times the normal price for a cab because the taxi stand, police, and harassers are all in on it. Made me actually say positive things about Uber for once.

Kent350787

Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:29 am

MCO has the ticket thing as well - I've never seen it before. Most airports I've caught taxis for just have queueing and assign you to a spot.

Insertnamehere

Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:07 am

LGA I have gotten tickets when it peaks times. Although as Uber takes hold I feel this will become a thing of the past, much like taxis in general.

Airstud
Topic Author

Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:15 am

But WHAT.

IS.

THE FREAKING.

POINT.

OF.

THE TICKETS.....
Pancakes are delicious.

AeroLogical

Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:08 pm

Airstud wrote:
But WHAT.

IS.

THE FREAKING.

POINT.

OF.

THE TICKETS.....

For a long time at LGA they were to make sure the cab didn't scam you--I haven't taken a taxi from LGA in years, but they used to have the average fair to Manhattan, etc. Bizarre if they didn't have any information for the traveler on them.

usflyer msp

Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:56 am

Airstud wrote:
But WHAT.

IS.

THE FREAKING.

POINT.

OF.

THE TICKETS.....

I worked as an MSP taxi starter once upon a time. The paper given to pax is not a "ticket". It is a customer information card. It contains average fares to various local locations and whom to contact if there is a problem on your ride.

Max Q

Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:12 am

VSMUT wrote:
AeroLogical wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Sounds like Bucharest. They really do set a bad initial tone for a country when you visit for the first time.

I’d always suspect I was going to end up in a scene from ‘Hostel’ in such countries
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

Airstud
Topic Author

Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:02 am

usflyer msp wrote:
Airstud wrote:
But WHAT.

IS.

THE FREAKING.

POINT.

OF.

THE TICKETS.....

I worked as an MSP taxi starter once upon a time. The paper given to pax is not a "ticket". It is a customer information card. It contains average fares to various local locations and whom to contact if there is a problem on your ride.

Which, is what I said basically.
Pancakes are delicious.

usflyer msp

Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:43 am

Airstud wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
Airstud wrote:
But WHAT.

IS.

THE FREAKING.

POINT.

OF.

THE TICKETS.....

I don't see where you said that anywhere but OK.
BTW, you would be surprised how ignorant some infrequent travellers are thus the starter making sure you actually wanted a taxi. Back in the day, I once had a woman think the United Taxi company was how she was supposed to get UA's checkin area.

blockski

Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:30 pm

Airstud wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
Airstud wrote:
But WHAT.

IS.

THE FREAKING.

POINT.

OF.

THE TICKETS.....

So, what's your question again?

They hand out information about taxis because taxi regulations can be confusing. In Minnesota, taxis are licensed and regulated by the various cities; MSP abuts several different cities, each with potentially different fare structures and rates. When I've gotten a cab at MSP, the attendant often asked to which city I was going, so I could be directed to the right cab (e.g. to a Minneapolis taxi for a destination in Minneapolis).

You also noted you arrived at 1:20, presumably that's 1:20am? The reason for the attendant and the system is to better organize things during peak hours. So, if you're coming through when it's not peak times, I'm not sure what you're expecting.

stl07

Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:31 am

usflyer msp wrote:
Airstud wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

BTW, you would be surprised how ignorant some infrequent travellers are thus the starter making sure you actually wanted a taxi. Back in the day, I once had a woman think the United Taxi company was how she was supposed to get UA's checkin area.

Hahaha. Must have been fun trying to explain
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

Nordfisch

Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:09 pm

alggag wrote:
AeroLogical wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Not sure what you did, but when you go to the official kiosk the price they give you, that's your fare. They don't know which taxi you will actually take, usually there is a line at the pick up spot and whatever taxi arrives when it's your turn, that's yours, no matter if it's a Jetta or Minivan. They don't charge you extra. In ten years living in Mexico City, I never had an issue with the official airport taxis, it's a great system.

Airstud
Topic Author

Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:25 pm

blockski wrote:
You also noted you arrived at 1:20, presumably that's 1:20am?

Oops. No, I said I arrived on flight 120 but I failed to specify that was SY120, which got in ≈ 5:00am
Pancakes are delicious.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:30 pm

In March, 2015, I arrived at MSY. An official taxi stand, with the "concierge" of the line double-checking the credentials of each taxi and driver before he would allow customers to go to the cab. An official rate of $45 from the airport to any location in the French Quarter was posted everywhere at the stand AND in the cabs. The concierge even recorded our destination. They were incredibly serious about security and possible fraud. We even had the hotel call us a cab upon departure, and the same process repeated itself. And best of all, no taxi driver had a chance to create a negative experience at all!

IAHWorldflyer

Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:18 pm

Nordfisch wrote:
alggag wrote:
AeroLogical wrote:

Not sure what you did, but when you go to the official kiosk the price they give you, that's your fare. They don't know which taxi you will actually take, usually there is a line at the pick up spot and whatever taxi arrives when it's your turn, that's yours, no matter if it's a Jetta or Minivan. They don't charge you extra. In ten years living in Mexico City, I never had an issue with the official airport taxis, it's a great system.

NO, Algaag is correct about the "upgrade". At any of the taxi desks at MEX, you can get a regular taxi, or an "executive" ride, which is usually a Chevy Tahoe or something like that. Those are about 50% more. Sometimes the ladies try to smile a lot and distract you, and ring up the higher executive fare without asking you. You then take your ticket outside, and the concierge directs you to a waiting SUV. I started taking Uber from MEX about 3 years ago, and have never looked back. Just this weekend I only paid $MXN146 from the airport to Polanco at 5pm on a Friday.

Nordfisch

Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:00 pm

IAHWorldflyer wrote:

NO, Algaag is correct about the "upgrade". At any of the taxi desks at MEX, you can get a regular taxi, or an "executive" ride, which is usually a Chevy Tahoe or something like that. Those are about 50% more. Sometimes the ladies try to smile a lot and distract you, and ring up the higher executive fare without asking you. You then take your ticket outside, and the concierge directs you to a waiting SUV. I started taking Uber from MEX about 3 years ago, and have never looked back. Just this weekend I only paid $MXN146 from the airport to Polanco at 5pm on a Friday.

That's funny, never happened to me. Well, obviously a tourist trap. You find people trying to rip you off anywhere you go, gotta pay attention.

johns624

Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:07 pm

Airstud wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
Airstud wrote:
But WHAT.

IS.

THE FREAKING.

POINT.

OF.

THE TICKETS.....

No, this is what you said--
There were no numbers (like you take at the deli counter) or bar codes or anything else that could have possibly had utility, just basically a silly little card (probably with an ad or two for some local business)

Airstud
Topic Author

Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:53 am

johns624 wrote:
Airstud wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

No, this is what you said--
There were no numbers (like you take at the deli counter) or bar codes or anything else that could have possibly had utility, just basically a silly little card (probably with an ad or two for some local business)

Mmmmmmmm... deli
Pancakes are delicious.