Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

duncanpare
Topic Author

Dreamliner to Thailand from Copenhagen

Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:18 pm

I am travelling on a flight on the 9th of February out of Copenhagen to Bangkok with Norwegian Airlines.
My reason for writing is that this route operates with the dreamliner. Recently I've read a little bad press
about this aircraft - engine things, also production issues etc. My question to the readers in this forum:
what are your thoughts regarding the dreamliner situation, do I have anything to worry about as a passenger etc.
To be honest as it stands i'am not at all comfortable with the prospect of this flight, so any opinions or thoughts
from more experienced members on this subject would be really appreciated.

with warm regards
Duncan

MartijnNL

Re: Dreamliner to Thailand from Copenhagen

Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:56 pm

Two weeks ago I spent a day planespotting at Copenhagen Airport. I noticed a Boeing 787 of Norwegian without engines being towed across the field. That one wasn't going far.

The things you have to worry about as a passenger, apart from the corona virus, are the uncomfortable 3-3-3 seating in economy class and the crew override option on the dimmable windows.

On some airlines that operate 787's the crew locks the windows in the darkest setting, preventing passengers to see the outside world clearly. This can completely ruin your flight experience.

For these two reasons I book away from the 787. For longhaul travel I prefer other aircraft types, like the 767 or the A330.

duncanpare
Topic Author

Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:26 pm

From your perspective it sounds like there’s not that much to worry about then.

I had unfortunately read all of this stuff about an ex Boeing employee saying he’d never fly this model etc.

Tenaja85

Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:51 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
Two weeks ago I spent a day planespotting at Copenhagen Airport. I noticed a Boeing 787 of Norwegian without engines being towed across the field. That one wasn't going far.

The things you have to worry about as a passenger, apart from the corona virus, are the uncomfortable 3-3-3 seating in economy class and the crew override option on the dimmable windows.

On some airlines that operate 787's the crew locks the windows in the darkest setting, preventing passengers to see the outside world clearly. This can completely ruin your flight experience.

For these two reasons I book away from the 787. For longhaul travel I prefer other aircraft types, like the 767 or the A330.

Correct. I've flown the Norwegian 787s on four separate flights and, at least in my experience, the crew never utilized the override option to dim all windows.

QR1350

Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:57 pm

I wanted to love it. And I have only flown on three examples (two Qatar, one BA) so my opinion is only based on those experiences. I found it cramped. When I flew JNB-DOH I was near the back on a window seat and the combination of the fuselage tapering and the seat in front going straight back meant I found it quite cramped. The window situation also annoys me. But it’s by no means an unsafe plane or anything like that. I’m also a six foot tall body builder. So chances are I get cramped before others haha

teachpdx

Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:49 am

I’ve done two round trips Seattle-London on the Norwegian 787. I’m 6’-3” and the legroom is tight but adequate. Even back when the 787 was having the engine issues I wasn’t worried about it, and the reliability is much better now.
I happen to like the onboard experience with Norwegian, it’s the best no-frills ride across the ocean. But then again, I don’t pack any more than a carry-on, I don’t care about seat assignments, and I bring my own food.
And for what it’s worth, I haven’t seen the crew lock out the window controls on any of my trips.
I’ve flown the AA 787 to ICN and it was nightmarish compared to Norwegian. The windows were locked down for over 12 hours, along with all the other AA inconveniences...
Up Next: THIS YEAR IS CANCELLED!!!

MartijnNL

Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:18 am

teachpdx wrote:
I’ve flown the AA 787 to ICN and it was nightmarish compared to Norwegian. The windows were locked down for over 12 hours, along with all the other AA inconveniences...

Locked down windows for over 12 hours. That's terrible. What's the point of Boeing advertising that the Boeing 787 has bigger windows compared to other aircraft, when they are locked to the darkest setting almost the entire flight? Shame on American Airlines and other airlines who do this. Props to Norwegian and other airlines who let their passengers decide.

I have travelled once on the Boeing 787. It was a two hour Air Europa flight from Amsterdam to Madrid. I must admit I liked the dimmable windows, but only the lightest setting. No need for sunglasses anymore when looking at bright clouds. Instead the window itself became the sunglasses. Pretty smart, unless the crew decides for you and makes the windows too dark.

Based on your experience and that of Duncan I might give Norwegian a try in the future. I will certainly book away from airlines that lock the windows. What also doesn't help, is the economy class seating comfort of the 787. Usually the A330 offers much more value for money.

teachpdx

Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:57 am

MartijnNL wrote:
Based on your experience and that of Duncan I might give Norwegian a try in the future. I will certainly book away from airlines that lock the windows. What also doesn't help, is the economy class seating comfort of the 787. Usually the A330 offers much more value for money.

I’ve flown on ULCC versions of both the A330 (Level and AirAsia X) and the 787 (Norwegian)... all three of which run 9 abreast. The only one that feels tighter is the 10-abreast 777.
I’m tall but narrow, so I’ve never had much of an issue with seat width. So to me they all seem pretty comparable, with the 330 having a barely perceptible advantage. And since I don’t pay for seat assignments I rarely get a window anyway.
But to be shoehorned into a 9 abreast 787 on a “full service” carrier with dark windows for 12 of 14.5 airborne hours wasn’t nearly the value for money with Norwegian, Level, AirAsia, or even the likes of Easyjet or Ryanair for that matter.
Yeah I’ve never had an issue on Norwegian with the aircraft, staff, or service. And as long as the passengers around you aren’t absolute nightmares, you should have an enjoyable flight with them.
Up Next: THIS YEAR IS CANCELLED!!!

PatrickZ80

Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:36 pm

First of all the Dreamliner is a very safe aircraft. There have been engine issues in the past but they have been resolved. I've flown it a few times and would instantly fly it again.

As for the window override settings, sometimes the crew isn't even aware that it's on. You can always ask them about it.