sonicruiser
Topic Author

What will be the next "Jet Age"

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:16 am

Since Pan Am introduced the DC-8 and the 707 in the 1960's ushering in the dawn of the jet age, people never looked back and the world has never been quite the same. What will be the next "Jet Age"
"Martin Luther King wasn't assassinated because he was dreaming. He was assassinated because he woke up."-Louis Farrakhan

TheWorm123

Re: What will be the next "Jet Age"

Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:19 pm

In time probably all Electric aircraft, once scientists have better materials than Lithium Ion and can scale down the weight of a battery whilst maintaining capacity.
752 753 A332

PlymSpotter

Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:44 pm

I'd say we have left the jet age and are in the turbofan era right now, approaching the geared turbofan era. The majority of aircraft in production now have BPRs of 10 or more, and it's only going to increase.

Beyond that, I agree it's going to be hybrids and electric aircraft.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

spacecadet

Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:46 pm

Teleportation.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

rjsampson

Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:48 pm

In, say, 30-40-50 years: Do any of you see large space planes becoming economically viable for longhaul transport?
"..your eyes will be forever turned skyward, for there.." yeah we know the DaVinci quote. But GA is so dang expensive these days! :(

crjflyboy

Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:50 pm

rjsampson wrote:
In, say, 30-40-50 years: Do any of you see large space planes becoming economically viable for longhaul transport?

LOL - NO

Yflyer

Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:16 pm

I'm not sure there will be another aviation related "age" comparable to the Jet Age in the forseeable future. The Jet Age was revolutionary because for the first time in human history it was possible to travel from any city on Earth to any other city in no more than about one day of travel time. A comparable new age would have to be such a great leap forward in transportation that it makes jet travel seem as slow to people in the future as travel by ship seems to us now. Either that or something that allows people to travel places where it's impossible to go today, like if space travel ever becomes commonplace.

spacecadet

Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:28 am

Yeah I actually see a real space age coming, and that will be another transportation revolution. (My earlier message was kind of a joke to prove a point; hope that was obvious.) Much as I have my reservations about the commercialization of space, it's happening right now and it's probably necessary for all the sci-fi style space travel we've always waited for. I mean, after all, it was a Pan Am space plane going up to an orbiting Hilton hotel in 2001: A Space Odyssey, not a government-run craft heading for a government-run space station.

It might take 100 more years, but we're going to Mars and back to the moon and at some point fairly soon there will be commercial flights that you can buy to space. There already technically are, they just haven't flown yet. But I feel like this is the equivalent of about 1910 if you want to compare it to the air travel industry. It took us about 100 years to get where we are in air travel, so 100 years to hit saturation in space travel seems about right.

How funny would it be if in 2120 you have people on spaceliners.net complaining about how much better space travel used to be...

(btw, somebody should probably register that url)
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

Max Q

Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:27 pm

More electric and hybrid and hopefully an economic supersonic transport with transpacific range
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

TWA772LR

Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:59 pm

spacecadet wrote:
How funny would it be if in 2120 you have people on spaceliners.net complaining about how much better space travel used to be...

I can see it now:

"I can't believe Spacewest flies a narrowbody to Tranquality Base!"

and

"When will they neo the Space Shuttle?"
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

FGITD

Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:20 am

TWA772LR wrote:
spacecadet wrote:

I can see it now:

"I can't believe Spacewest flies a narrowbody to Tranquality Base!"

and

"When will they neo the Space Shuttle?"

And yet, those threads will still be followed by

"Why didn't Boeing ever make a 757max?"