crjflyboy
Topic Author

REAL ID ACT

Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:57 am

Reading that the Department of Homeland security is ready to start action against states that have declared themselves.

States that issue drivers licenses to illegal aliens ...everyone's drivers licenses from sanctuary states will not be accepted to fly on, regardless.

Airstud

Re: REAL ID ACT

Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:07 am

crjflyboy wrote:
everyone's drivers licenses from sanctuary states will not be accepted to fly on

Well good.

Planes are much better to fly on, anyway.
Pancakes are delicious.

Seabear

Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:17 pm

crjflyboy wrote:
Reading that the Department of Homeland security is ready to start action against states that have declared themselves.

States that issue drivers licenses to illegal aliens ...everyone's drivers licenses from sanctuary states will not be accepted to fly on, regardless.

Care to provide a source?

crjflyboy
Topic Author

Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:30 pm

I misquoted ... it's only starting in the state of NY and it is zeroed in on the GLOBAL ENTRY program .. to start with

https://www.wsj.com/articles/homeland-s ... 1580966926

speedbird52

Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:11 pm

Living in Washington, I can confirm this is the case. Legal residents and citizens can get an enhanced drivers license that even lets you cross into the Canadian border.

MrBretz

Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:27 pm

speedbird52 wrote:
Living in Washington, I can confirm this is the case. Legal residents and citizens can get an enhanced drivers license that even lets you cross into the Canadian border.

Why would a legal resident not be allowed on a plane? And if you are a legal resident, why could you not come back to the US after going to Canada?

aeromoe

Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:44 pm

Airstud wrote:
crjflyboy wrote:
everyone's drivers licenses from sanctuary states will not be accepted to fly on

Well good.

Planes are much better to fly on, anyway.

;)
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR BY B6 CO CP(2) DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QF QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K

aeromoe

Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:45 pm

MrBretz wrote:
speedbird52 wrote:

Why would a legal resident not be allowed on a plane? And if you are a legal resident, why could you not come back to the US after going to Canada?

These days you need a passport or passport "card" (typically for Canada/Mexico) to travel internationally. US - Canada counts as international. I have a passport and have never seen the need to spend more money for just the "card" so I don't know what travel options that affords.

If there is a new option with the enhanced drivers license that allows cross-border travel, then great.
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR BY B6 CO CP(2) DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QF QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K

Airstud

Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:56 am

MrBretz wrote:
speedbird52 wrote:

They're not not being allowed on planes; they're just no longer eligible for Global Entry.
Pancakes are delicious.

MrBretz

Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:07 am

You’re making me wonder how a legal resident fly but since it doesn’t affect me, maybe I don’t care.

Three years ago I crossed the US border into Canada in an RV. I can’t recall what kind of documentation I showed the Canadian authorities. On my way back, I handed my passport to the US agent. He told me my passport had expired. I had brought the wrong passport from home. I had a valid CA driver’s license and the RV was registered in our name and the licenses were valid. The agent said that this was irregular but since I had a passport it showed I was born in the US. He then wanted to look around the interior of the RV. He found about 10 bottles of cheap wine from Trader Joe’s and wanted me to pay duty on the bottles. He was hassling me for a receipt until a woman agent told hm to leave us alone as the entry line was growing. In the future, I will make sure I bring a valid passport and keep receipts for booze if I take an RV into Canada.

speedbird52

Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:19 am

MrBretz wrote:
You’re making me wonder how a legal resident fly but since it doesn’t affect me, maybe I don’t care.

Three years ago I crossed the US border into Canada in an RV. I can’t recall what kind of documentation I showed the Canadian authorities. On my way back, I handed my passport to the US agent. He told me my passport had expired. I had brought the wrong passport from home. I had a valid CA driver’s license and the RV was registered in our name and the licenses were valid. The agent said that this was irregular but since I had a passport it showed I was born in the US. He then wanted to look around the interior of the RV. He found about 10 bottles of cheap wine from Trader Joe’s and wanted me to pay duty on the bottles. He was hassling me for a receipt until a woman agent told hm to leave us alone as the entry line was growing. In the future, I will make sure I bring a valid passport and keep receipts for booze if I take an RV into Canada.

A legal resident can use their passport to fly.

Stitch

Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:06 am

Essentially, if a State-Issued Identification Card or Drivers License is not in compliance with the Real ID Act, then will soon no longer able to be used for boarding a commercial airliner within the United States as that action is defined as an "official purpose" under the Act.

There have been multiple "enforcement deferrals" for certain "official purposes", including boarding a commercial aircraft. The current deferral for this will now expire on 1 October 2020 and therefore a Real ID Act-compliant piece of identification will be required after this date to board a commercial aircraft. A US Passport is Real ID Act compliant which is what I have been using as my Washington State DL issued in 2016 is not Real ID Act-compliant (WA State Enhanced Drivers Licenses are and that is what I will be getting when my current license comes up for renewal).

Airstud

Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:14 am

Stitch wrote:
Essentially, if a State-Issued Identification Card or Drivers License is not in compliance with the Real ID Act, then will soon no longer able to be used for boarding a commercial airliner within the United States as that action is defined as an "official purpose" under the Act.

There have been multiple "enforcement deferrals" for certain "official purposes", including boarding a commercial aircraft. The current deferral for this will now expire on 1 October 2020 and therefore a Real ID Act-compliant piece of identification will be required after this date to board a commercial aircraft. A US Passport is Real ID Act compliant which is what I have been using as my Washington State DL issued in 2016 is not Real ID Act-compliant (WA State Enhanced Drivers Licenses are and that is what I will be getting when my current license comes up for renewal).

Which, is what I said basically.
Pancakes are delicious.

flyingclrs727

Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:42 am

I have a passport card that is good till the second quarter of 2022, so it will cover the entire time between when start of enforcement on October 1, 2020 and when my normal license renewal is due in the third quarter of 2021.

There is however a provision in Texas law to renew a Texas driver's license or ID card up to one year before before the expiration of the license. I discovered that due to REAL ID implementation, the Texas DPS is allowing people whose licenses expire between October 1, 2020 and October 1, 2022 to renew their licenses up to two years before they expire. This means you don't have to pay an extra fee to get a license that would be good only for a couple of years and then need to renew on the regular schedule. Theoretically one could get a Texas driver's with REAL ID certification that will be good for almost a 8 years rather than the normal 6 years without having to pay any extra fees beyond normal renewal fees.

WesternDC6B

Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:44 pm

aeromoe wrote:
These days you need a passport or passport "card" (typically for Canada/Mexico) to travel internationally. US - Canada counts as international. I have a passport and have never seen the need to spend more money for just the "card" so I don't know what travel options that affords.

If there is a new option with the enhanced drivers license that allows cross-border travel, then great.

The passport card is only usable for travel by automobile, bus, steamship, and, I think, rail. If you want to FLY to Canada or Mexico, you need the full passport; cards won’t be accepted. I don’t know why this quirk exists in the rules.
A big heart is commendable. An enlarged heart is a medical condition.

vedatil4

Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:42 pm

A lesson learned by a nephew who has a California Real ID is that both Mexico and US border agents don't accept them like a passport or passport card. Mexico agents for sure. US agents are only a little more convinced that the person lives in the US.

The only benefit I'm seeing is using a driver's license to get on US flights. Also, it seems like California state government is not pushing people hard to get the Real Id (on purpose?). So, if it's optional, more paperwork, and of little benefit, it's better for people to get and use the passport card instead. Just keep in mind that the card can't be used for international flights. You have to use the passport book then.

If the feds ever punished California trusted traveler folks like they have in New York, the border waits at Tijuana would go from awful to horrendous. I use the Sentri card just to cross into Mexico for fancy dinners. (that is probably shocking, but a way of life along the border) It would go from crossing back in 15 minutes to 3 to 4 hours.

vedatil4

Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:49 pm

speedbird52 wrote:

So, that non-us citizen is presenting a driver's license with a Real ID indicator to a Canadian officer, they accept it as proof of US citizenship, and they admit them into Canada? Whoa. I can tell you that Mexico officers have started spot checking everone crossing on foot. They won't accept Real Id. People do get returned back to the US. It's not the fun free-for-all it was back in the 80s.

vedatil4

Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:00 pm

speedbird52 wrote:
MrBretz wrote:

A legal resident might not be a US citizen. They'd have to use a foreign passport to board a flight within the US if they don't have a RealID? I wonder. Or will they be able to show a permanent resident card to fly within the US?

zuckie13

Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:25 pm

WesternDC6B wrote:
aeromoe wrote:

The passport card is only usable for travel by automobile, bus, steamship, and, I think, rail. If you want to FLY to Canada or Mexico, you need the full passport; cards won’t be accepted. I don’t know why this quirk exists in the rules.

Sorry, I have to laugh - don't think there are too many steamships carrying passengers these days.......
Yes, they can be used on cruise ships if you are just going to Canada for example.

flyingclrs727

Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:03 pm

vedatil4 wrote:
speedbird52 wrote:

So, that non-us citizen is presenting a driver's license with a Real ID indicator to a Canadian officer, they accept it as proof of US citizenship, and they admit them into Canada? Whoa. I can tell you that Mexico officers have started spot checking everone crossing on foot. They won't accept Real Id. People do get returned back to the US. It's not the fun free-for-all it was back in the 80s.

A REAL ID driver's license is not the same thing as an enhanced driver's license. An enhanced driver's license is equivalent to a passport card. A REAL ID ID card or driver's license just gives the bearer right to use the state issued ID for federal government purposes like boarding commercial aircraft or entering secure government buildings. Some states issue enhanced driver's licenses, and others don't. Texas is REAL ID compliant but decided not to participate with the State Department in issuing enhanced driver's licenses. Personally I have a passport card that I carry in my wallet that enables me to cross US land and sea borders. Lot's of people who live in states with international borders have them. Also REAL ID driver's licenses are only good for boarding domestic flights in the US. It is required to have a book passport in order to board an international flight.

flyingclrs727

Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:26 pm

zuckie13 wrote:
WesternDC6B wrote:
aeromoe wrote:

Sorry, I have to laugh - don't think there are too many steamships carrying passengers these days.......
Yes, they can be used on cruise ships if you are just going to Canada for example.

Prior to the September 11 terrorist attacks it was not required to even have a passport to travel in the western hemisphere. Passport cards were a low cost compromise that allowed governments in the western hemisphere to require passports for everyone crossing their borders.

Where I live there are lots of people who have relatives on both sides of the US-Mexico border. It's much cheaper to get everyone in a family a passport card than a book passport. Around 2007 the US Post Office started having interviews at post offices other than just the main post office in my county. There were long lines of whole families, some quite large, applying for passport cards for the first time ever. For people who have to cross the border frequently, or even make unplanned trips across the border, they are quite convenient. They are the same size as a driver's license or credit card and can be kept in a wallet. They are also waterproof unlike a book passport. It well may be the case that in the future, they may be acceptable for flying between countries in the western hemisphere.

flyingclrs727

Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:35 pm

vedatil4 wrote:
speedbird52 wrote:
MrBretz wrote:

A legal resident might not be a US citizen. They'd have to use a foreign passport to board a flight within the US if they don't have a RealID? I wonder. Or will they be able to show a permanent resident card to fly within the US?

A legal permanent US resident would have a US permanent resident alien card, "green card," that exceeds the requirements of REAL ID cards. Permanent resident alien cards are acceptable ID's for boarding domestic flights. My wife doesn't need to worry too much about upgrading her Texas driver's license, because her permanent resident alien card covers the whole time period between when the REAL ID Act requirements go into effect and her driver's license expires.

speedbird52

Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:00 pm

vedatil4 wrote:
speedbird52 wrote:
MrBretz wrote:

I think a green card would work fine. I know some green card holders and it works fine for crossing the border.

flyingclrs727

Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:19 pm

speedbird52 wrote:
vedatil4 wrote:
speedbird52 wrote:

I think a green card would work fine. I know some green card holders and it works fine for crossing the border.

Yes, "green cards" are on list of acceptable ID's.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

Driver's licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)
U.S. passport
U.S. passport card
DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
U.S. Department of Defense ID, including IDs issued to dependents
Permanent resident card
Border crossing card
State-issued Enhanced Driver’s License
Federally recognized, tribal-issued photo ID
HSPD-12 PIV card
Foreign government-issued passport
Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
Transportation worker identification credential
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
U.S. Merchant Mariner Credential

WesternDC6B

Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:30 am

zuckie13 wrote:

Steamship may have been a bit old-fashioned of me. I guess those totally enclosed office buildings that float are likely diesel electric these days.
A big heart is commendable. An enlarged heart is a medical condition.