Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

gkpetery
Topic Author

Is Delta going to shake up those onerous airline change fees? - USA Today

Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:40 pm

If Delta gets rid of change fees, I’m gonna move most of my flights to Delta from United and American.

You think they are willing to do this?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/a ... 425586002/
Last edited by SQ22 on Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title was misleading

ryhops

Re: Delta Contemplating No Change Fees - USA Today

Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:54 pm

Misleading thread title - nowhere does the article say that Delta might completely eliminate change fees.

UpNAWAy

Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:00 pm

If they did the others would quickly follow so changing carriers would be pointless. I wouldn't mind seeing something like a reduced fee for changes made one week out or whatever time frame their data shows makes since. So maybe a tiered change fee policy for NR tickets.

zuckie13

Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:02 pm

The article doesn't say anything of the sort, just that they are reviewing how they do change fees or that they might "shake up" change fees, which could mean anything. Mods please change the topic title.

SQ22

Re: Is Delta going to shake up those onerous airline change fees? - USA Today

Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:06 pm

Title has been updated. Please use the reporting function instead of posting such requests in the future. We do not follow each thread at every time. Thanks.

Mboyle1988

Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:09 pm

I have long thought that first class tickets should come with no change fees. It would encourage more people to pay for first class. Really there’s no reason airlines shouldn’t have empty seats for upgrades up front. Too much revenue on table.

sonicruiser

Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:38 pm

$200 is more expensive than a ticket to almost anywhere in the US. You would be a fool to pay the change fee instead of finding another flight and trashing the original booking. I have done this myself numerous times. It is almost never worth it to pay the change fees.
شما می توانید مردم را تحریم کنید ، اما نمی توانید سبک تحریم را اعمال کنید

You can sanction people, but you can't sanction style

MIflyer12

Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:49 pm

Mboyle1988 wrote:
I have long thought that first class tickets should come with no change fees. It would encourage more people to pay for first class. Really there’s no reason airlines shouldn’t have empty seats for upgrades up front. Too much revenue on table.

Reread that statement. Why would they leave F empty for upgrades when they can sell it at some dynamic price (including miles on a smartphone app)?

I'm interested to see what DL may try. I don't expect them to be willing to forego a lot of revenue no matter what they do. This will not be a gift to consumers.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:48 pm

Whatever DL does to modify change fees, it’s most certainly going to be revenue postitive, or at least neutral. The hundreds of millions made off change fees basically just falls to the bottom line.

That said, change fees are one of the most negative customer service aspects of the industry, and let’s be honest in most cases it’s never just $200, it’s often hundreds of dollars more when you add in the fare difference.

In many cases domestically , particularly if it’s the return leg, it’s cheaper to eat the remaining value of the ticket and buy on another carrier.

There is opportunity to make the change fees either more dynamically priced, more transparent, or better aligned with their tiered / bundled product classes.

chonetsao

Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:17 pm

I think airlines could have Basic Economy as non-refundable and non-changeable. But everything else should have a different rule. Maybe free change up to 14 days before departure or $25 change fee when same booking class is available etc. For domestic fares there is no need to have change fees that high.

LAX772LR

Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:33 pm

sonicruiser wrote:
$200 is more expensive than a ticket to almost anywhere in the US.

Huh???
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

DLASFlyer

Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:59 pm

It is absolutely crazy that Platinum and Diamond Medallion members, who spend more than $10,000 a year with Delta, are subject to change fees. I would gladly give up some of the other benefits in exchange for some flexibility.

airzona11

Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:31 am

gkpetery wrote:
If Delta gets rid of change fees, I’m gonna move most of my flights to Delta from United and American.

Question, what routes do you fly that DL is an option in addition to AA/UA? There are not that many markets non-stop where they all overlap, where there isn’t also an WN option with no change fees. But I am curious because maybe on a route like NYC-LAX/SFO, they can capture market share?

There is obviously a reason to remove them or reduce them, and that reason is money. Thinking that maybe in certain markets DL could command a premium and selling the last minute or walk up fare. DL has done a great job increasing the % of paid premium cabin seats, maybe this is part of that?

hz747300

Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:55 am

Read an interview with the guy that founded jetBlue and is going to start a new US airline, Breeze. He says that focusing on change fees is one of the 'innovations' that he is going to have with the new airline. Change fees are a bummer. But so is the fact that I cannot transfer the ticket to someone before my flight if I am unable to go. Right now, with Spirit, I have a $1000 credit from a canceled flight for the family. It's a bummer that I can't get a refund, so I think I can change the flight once without a fee; and then I may have to change again in the future and start losing the credit with the fees.
Keep on truckin'...

EA CO AS

Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:55 am

To me, this just sounds like they’re going to be copying AS - again - and empowering all their employees to make exceptions, waive change fees, and even provide instant compensation on a case-by-case basis.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

planecane

Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:56 am

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
Whatever DL does to modify change fees, it’s most certainly going to be revenue postitive, or at least neutral. The hundreds of millions made off change fees basically just falls to the bottom line.

That said, change fees are one of the most negative customer service aspects of the industry, and let’s be honest in most cases it’s never just $200, it’s often hundreds of dollars more when you add in the fare difference.

In many cases domestically , particularly if it’s the return leg, it’s cheaper to eat the remaining value of the ticket and buy on another carrier.

There is opportunity to make the change fees either more dynamically priced, more transparent, or better aligned with their tiered / bundled product classes.

What would be interesting is if an airline made change fees much cheaper (like $25) if it would lead to many more people making changes and overall bringing in more change fee revenue. If I knew I only had to pay $25 to change, I'd be more willing to book something I wasn't positive about.

Lrockeagle

Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:05 am

I would make it a progressively higher fee as departure nears. Revenue management likes to know how many butts they’ll have in the seats and eliminating change fees guarantees that they will not be able to fill flights
Lrockeagle
15 years ago

I got $20 says AA takes their 787's with GE powerplants. Just a hunch. Any takers?

LAXBUR

Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:24 am

Whether they do it or not they’ve received positive press for it. That’s what it is really about. Delta is very good at this.

EA CO AS

Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:15 pm

planecane wrote:
PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

What would be interesting is if an airline made change fees much cheaper (like $25) if it would lead to many more people making changes and overall bringing in more change fee revenue. If I knew I only had to pay $25 to change, I'd be more willing to book something I wasn't positive about.

One of the reasons for change fees is to keep you from changing, though. Airlines wouldn’t want to encourage more changes.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

slowrambler

Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:18 pm

LAXBUR wrote:
Whether they do it or not they’ve received positive press for it. That’s what it is really about. Delta is very good at this.

This. DL's very, very good at playing the media game.

Elementalism

Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:23 pm

gkpetery wrote:

I have changed flights on Delta at a kiosk on the day if flight, cost was 55 bucks. But I have also arrived at the gate and they did it for free. Not sure where 200 bucks comes into play with Delta.

I think getting rid of the fee is nice. Southwest has been doing this forever. Only have to pay if there is a fare difference.

Elementalism

Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:26 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Mboyle1988 wrote:

Reread that statement. Why would they leave F empty for upgrades when they can sell it at some dynamic price (including miles on a smartphone app)?

I'm interested to see what DL may try. I don't expect them to be willing to forego a lot of revenue no matter what they do. This will not be a gift to consumers.

Delta already does this to some extent. They try to push upgrades closer to the day of departure. And usually those upgrade costs decrease the closer you get.

N649DL

Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:44 pm

gkpetery wrote:

Oh man, if they got rid of those fees that would amazing. I'm Platinum with DL so IDK if I get those fees waived, but I typically rely on their 24 Hour Grace Period upon booking (technically it's more than 24, closer to 36 but it's no WN.) DL seems relatively lenient already, UA on the other hand is more strict.

rbavfan

Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:45 pm

DLASFlyer wrote:
It is absolutely crazy that Platinum and Diamond Medallion members, who spend more than $10,000 a year with Delta, are subject to change fees. I would gladly give up some of the other benefits in exchange for some flexibility.

Having working in booking center the higher the ticket price & the more they make, the more often they try to cancel multiple times if there is not a change fee.

WayexTDI

Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:58 pm

Elementalism wrote:
gkpetery wrote:

I have changed flights on Delta at a kiosk on the day if flight, cost was 55 bucks. But I have also arrived at the gate and they did it for free. Not sure where 200 bucks comes into play with Delta.

I think getting rid of the fee is nice. Southwest has been doing this forever. Only have to pay if there is a fare difference.

I think "standard" change fee is $200; that's what the app asked me last time. Went to the kiosk, they "blamed" it on long security lines (over an hour) and changed it for free.

gatibosgru

Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:59 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:

Huh???

If he means one way fare, then I believe the average is under $200 in most cases with fairly advanced notice.
@DadCelo

Ziyulu

Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:06 pm

If you are going to eat the entire cost of the airfare, you might as well not cancel. Maybe a natural disaster (ex. coronavirus, hurricanes) would pop up, leading you to be able to obtain a refund on a non-refundable ticket.

Aliqiout

Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:11 pm

gatibosgru wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:

Huh???

If he means one way fare, then I believe the average is under $200 in most cases with fairly advanced notice.

There is no average, there is a standard $200 fee for all non refundable domestic tickets, and $500 for trans continental tickets. There may be other fees in between that for shorter international flights. It doesn't matter if it's one way or round trip the fee is charged once per time you change it. You can change both directions at once for RT ticket and pay the fee once. Or you can pay multiple times if you make the changes at different times.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/change-cancel/change-flight

gatibosgru

Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:14 pm

Aliqiout wrote:
gatibosgru wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
Huh???

There is no average, there is a standard $200 fee for all non refundable domestic tickets, and $500 for trans continental tickets. There may be other fees in between that for shorter international flights. It doesn't matter if it's one way or round trip the fee is charged once per time you change it. You can change both directions at once for RT ticket and pay the fee once. Or you can pay multiple times if you make the changes at different times.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/change-cancel/change-flight

I meant that a one way fare averages less than $200, not that the fee averages $200, my apologies for not making it clear.
@DadCelo

PSU.DTW.SCE

Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:59 pm

There are a couple of things to clear-up on here.

The change fee is $200, then you are charged the fare difference. Depending on how you are changing your ticket and the actual price of the new ticket, you can pay several hundred dollars in total, or in some cases net-out to a small amount, or even get a credit/refund.

Example you bought a round trip DTW-TPA-DTW ticket 2 months in advance for $300 (assume each leg was $150) for a 7-day stay. You take your original outbound leg, and in the middle of the trip decide you need to return 2 days early. The rate now for the one-day TPA-DTW leg on 1 day's notice is $400 (since flight is nearly full and only full-fare buckets are available). You are charged the fare difference and the $200 change fee, so now you are paying in total $450 at the time of the change.
If you can find a cheaper fare, maybe involving a connection or off-peak times, say a WN ticket that flies TPA-STL-DTW for say $300 one-way, its cheaper to just eat the remaining portion of the DL ticket, and just buy a new one-way ticket on WN.

Now, there is same day stand-by and same-day confirmed options, which is different than a change fee. Hence why making same-day changes are a different type of change all together.

Where I see the opportunity potentially is that there are situations where it may be advantaous for the airline to encourage more people to change their flights, to either more proactively avoid voluntariy overbooking, open up seats in potential IROPs, or open up more seats for last-minute close-in bookings.
People's schedules do change, life events happen, etc any they may want to adjust their travel plans. Right now at $200, change fees can be more expensive than another night in the hotel. The question is that if you change the fee structure, can you encourage more people to utilize flight changes and collect more in total fees and revenue?

I can say I highly doubt they will ever make it free for Diamond or Platinums since these are likely of the customers that contribute the most to change fees, since many are flying on business, using other people's money, have demanding schedules, and place a high value on their own time.

In the current era of a very strong economy, record levels of air travel demand, a hot domestic market, and high load factors the risk of not filling seats and forgoing lost revenue from customers booking off of flights is lower than ever. There are potential ways to rethink how to generate more revenue and make it more rationale for the customers at the same time. Considering 80% of domestic tickets are booked less than 5 weeks prior to departure, a tiered approach where change fees escalate the closer to departure might be one model to consider.

EA CO AS

Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:20 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
I highly doubt they will ever make it free for Diamond or Platinums.

But again, they may elect to take a cue from the AS playbook and waive change fees for their top-tier elites, just like AS does for their Gold and Gold 75K elite members. Of course the AS change fee is just $125, but still...

dtw2hyd

Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:48 pm

Delta may have gotten the transaction cost to a point, additional bookings (by dropping change fee) will offset the cost or even make more profit.

This puts competition in a pickle.
All posts are just opinions.