braniff2hav
Topic Author
Posts: 201
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:20 pm

You're Sick ... DENIED boarding

Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:07 am

I'm hearing of two situations .. one at JFK and one at EWR tonight where the customers were appearing to be ill, coughing etc.
The carriers denied boarding to them. I understand at EWR the carrier was United. Don't know at JFK. Can anyone shed light on this - if it's a new policy to try and contain the C-virus? I'm all for it. You should not be traveling if you are ill - it's just too risky in this case.

Any insight ? I've seen no policy information come over to my inbox but suspect this is being dealt with as needed at the gate or ticket counter.
Last edited by atcsundevil on Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated
 
alasizon
Posts: 2193
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Re: Your Sick ... DENIED boarding

Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:13 am

No, even if you're sick, we can't deny you unless there is a reason to believe you have a communicable disease that would put fellow passengers at risk. A cough, sneeze, etc. isn't enough. That determination would be made by MedLink anyhow.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent
 
ScottWelsch
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:22 pm

Re: Your Sick ... DENIED boarding

Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:29 pm

Cough, sneeze, temperature could also lead to Corona virus and that is serious enough.
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 3750
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Your Sick ... DENIED boarding

Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:54 pm

ScottWelsch wrote:
Cough, sneeze, temperature could also lead to Corona virus and that is serious enough.

I think that any implication that the novel coronavirus is uncontained in the US is a bit reckless at the moment. There are only a handful of infections currently in the US, and those symptoms are far more likely to be in line with influenza, which should be far more worrisome to people living on this continent. There are more deaths each day from influenza than there currently are total cases of novel coronavirus in the US. But in any event, that shouldn't be any reason to deny someone boarding unless a doctor deems them too unwell to travel. The news cycle has created some unnecessary hysteria.
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 14217
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Your Sick ... DENIED boarding

Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:27 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
ScottWelsch wrote:
Cough, sneeze, temperature could also lead to Corona virus and that is serious enough.

I think that any implication that the novel coronavirus is uncontained in the US is a bit reckless at the moment. There are only a handful of infections currently in the US, and those symptoms are far more likely to be in line with influenza, which should be far more worrisome to people living on this continent. There are more deaths each day from influenza than there currently are total cases of novel coronavirus in the US. But in any event, that shouldn't be any reason to deny someone boarding unless a doctor deems them too unwell to travel. The news cycle has created some unnecessary hysteria.


Agreed. Also, in large parts of the States this has been a bad winter for what I will call inartfully "the junk," which is annoying but not communicable. I know a number of folks who have had mild upper respiratory symptoms for weeks or months. They certainly have neither Coronavirus nor influenza and likely are not contagious.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 3750
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Your Sick ... DENIED boarding

Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:20 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Agreed. Also, in large parts of the States this has been a bad winter for what I will call inartfully "the junk," which is annoying but not communicable. I know a number of folks who have had mild upper respiratory symptoms for weeks or months. They certainly have neither Coronavirus nor influenza and likely are not contagious.

Exactly. I try very hard to avoid "the junk" because it usually ends up giving me "the bronchitis".

I think people definitely need to temper their fear over this virus, at least for now. There are currently ≈45,000 infections, all but a few hundred of which are in mainland China. By comparison, the 2009 H1N1 outbreak had between 750,000,000-1,500,000,000 infections globally, killing between 250,000-500,000. So, I wouldn't be rushing out to buy masks for your next flight just yet — not like masks really do much to prevent the spread of viruses.
 
nws2002
Posts: 880
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:04 pm

Re: You're Sick ... DENIED boarding

Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:14 am

FWIW, the agents will call MedLink (or a similar service) and a nurse or doctor will make the determination on if it is safe for the passenger to travel. In my experience, a fever or vomiting will prompt MedLink to say the passenger cannot travel.
 
User avatar
DocLightning
Posts: 21656
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:51 am

Re: Your Sick ... DENIED boarding

Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:12 am

atcsundevil wrote:
ScottWelsch wrote:
Cough, sneeze, temperature could also lead to Corona virus and that is serious enough.

I think that any implication that the novel coronavirus is uncontained in the US is a bit reckless at the moment. There are only a handful of infections currently in the US, and those symptoms are far more likely to be in line with influenza, which should be far more worrisome to people living on this continent. There are more deaths each day from influenza than there currently are total cases of novel coronavirus in the US. But in any event, that shouldn't be any reason to deny someone boarding unless a doctor deems them too unwell to travel. The news cycle has created some unnecessary hysteria.


At my company (healthcare) we were recently distributed policies on what to do in the case of a suspected nCoV-19 case. This included case definitions, such as fever, respiratory symptoms, AND recent travel to certain regions of China. I won't get into the details, but they were based on county (and thus state/regional/national) case definitions according to county health officials, CDC, etc.

Shouldn't airlines have distributed similar policies to their employees?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan
 
Flow2706
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:20 pm

Re: Your Sick ... DENIED boarding

Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:25 am

DocLightning wrote:
At my company (healthcare) we were recently distributed policies on what to do in the case of a suspected nCoV-19 case. This included case definitions, such as fever, respiratory symptoms, AND recent travel to certain regions of China. I won't get into the details, but they were based on county (and thus state/regional/national) case definitions according to county health officials, CDC, etc.

Shouldn't airlines have distributed similar policies to their employees?

In my company we only received general information regarding the symptoms of the virus (which do not permit to make a clear decision if a passenger is a suspected case or not) and a bit more specific information what to do if a suspected case is discovered on board (isolate the pax from rest of pax/crew etc etc.). As a lot of crews are seriously worried about the virus some are over the top.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bergkampsticket and 43 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos