braniff2hav
Topic Author

You're Sick ... DENIED boarding

Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:07 am

I'm hearing of two situations .. one at JFK and one at EWR tonight where the customers were appearing to be ill, coughing etc.
The carriers denied boarding to them. I understand at EWR the carrier was United. Don't know at JFK. Can anyone shed light on this - if it's a new policy to try and contain the C-virus? I'm all for it. You should not be traveling if you are ill - it's just too risky in this case.

Any insight ? I've seen no policy information come over to my inbox but suspect this is being dealt with as needed at the gate or ticket counter.
Last edited by atcsundevil on Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated

alasizon

Re: Your Sick ... DENIED boarding

Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:13 am

No, even if you're sick, we can't deny you unless there is a reason to believe you have a communicable disease that would put fellow passengers at risk. A cough, sneeze, etc. isn't enough. That determination would be made by MedLink anyhow.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

ScottWelsch

Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:29 pm

Cough, sneeze, temperature could also lead to Corona virus and that is serious enough.

atcsundevil

Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:54 pm

ScottWelsch wrote:
Cough, sneeze, temperature could also lead to Corona virus and that is serious enough.

I think that any implication that the novel coronavirus is uncontained in the US is a bit reckless at the moment. There are only a handful of infections currently in the US, and those symptoms are far more likely to be in line with influenza, which should be far more worrisome to people living on this continent. There are more deaths each day from influenza than there currently are total cases of novel coronavirus in the US. But in any event, that shouldn't be any reason to deny someone boarding unless a doctor deems them too unwell to travel. The news cycle has created some unnecessary hysteria.

Cubsrule

Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:27 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
ScottWelsch wrote:

I think that any implication that the novel coronavirus is uncontained in the US is a bit reckless at the moment. There are only a handful of infections currently in the US, and those symptoms are far more likely to be in line with influenza, which should be far more worrisome to people living on this continent. There are more deaths each day from influenza than there currently are total cases of novel coronavirus in the US. But in any event, that shouldn't be any reason to deny someone boarding unless a doctor deems them too unwell to travel. The news cycle has created some unnecessary hysteria.

Agreed. Also, in large parts of the States this has been a bad winter for what I will call inartfully "the junk," which is annoying but not communicable. I know a number of folks who have had mild upper respiratory symptoms for weeks or months. They certainly have neither Coronavirus nor influenza and likely are not contagious.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

atcsundevil

Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:20 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Agreed. Also, in large parts of the States this has been a bad winter for what I will call inartfully "the junk," which is annoying but not communicable. I know a number of folks who have had mild upper respiratory symptoms for weeks or months. They certainly have neither Coronavirus nor influenza and likely are not contagious.

Exactly. I try very hard to avoid "the junk" because it usually ends up giving me "the bronchitis".

I think people definitely need to temper their fear over this virus, at least for now. There are currently ≈45,000 infections, all but a few hundred of which are in mainland China. By comparison, the 2009 H1N1 outbreak had between 750,000,000-1,500,000,000 infections globally, killing between 250,000-500,000. So, I wouldn't be rushing out to buy masks for your next flight just yet — not like masks really do much to prevent the spread of viruses.

nws2002

Re: You're Sick ... DENIED boarding

Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:14 am

FWIW, the agents will call MedLink (or a similar service) and a nurse or doctor will make the determination on if it is safe for the passenger to travel. In my experience, a fever or vomiting will prompt MedLink to say the passenger cannot travel.

DocLightning

Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:12 am

atcsundevil wrote:
ScottWelsch wrote:

At my company (healthcare) we were recently distributed policies on what to do in the case of a suspected nCoV-19 case. This included case definitions, such as fever, respiratory symptoms, AND recent travel to certain regions of China. I won't get into the details, but they were based on county (and thus state/regional/national) case definitions according to county health officials, CDC, etc.

Shouldn't airlines have distributed similar policies to their employees?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Flow2706

Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:25 am

DocLightning wrote:
At my company (healthcare) we were recently distributed policies on what to do in the case of a suspected nCoV-19 case. This included case definitions, such as fever, respiratory symptoms, AND recent travel to certain regions of China. I won't get into the details, but they were based on county (and thus state/regional/national) case definitions according to county health officials, CDC, etc.

Shouldn't airlines have distributed similar policies to their employees?

In my company we only received general information regarding the symptoms of the virus (which do not permit to make a clear decision if a passenger is a suspected case or not) and a bit more specific information what to do if a suspected case is discovered on board (isolate the pax from rest of pax/crew etc etc.). As a lot of crews are seriously worried about the virus some are over the top.