dc10lover
Topic Author

If JetBlue Only Has Mint - First Class Seating On All Flights

Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:55 pm

Would this be successful and Profitable?
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

dfwjim1

Re: If JetBlue Only Has Mint - First Class Seating On All Flights

Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:24 pm

Last December I flew SFO to FLL on B6 on their daytime flight and considered paying extra for Mint but decided against since the flight was only 5 hours long.

Kent350787

Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:37 pm

I've done 2 B6 3+ hour sectors in the last couple of months and wouldn't see the value in Mint other than maybe transcon. It's hard to see how that niche would be successful - even if you could identify the right premium heavy markets, you'd be killed on frequency.

spacecadet

Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:29 am

If you really mean "all", then no. Nobody's paying for a Mint seat on a flight from Boston to Syracuse in an E190.

I'm sure there are other flights where it would be profitable and they're not doing it yet, and my guess is you'll see them expand this service over time. But the main thing with most of JetBlue's flights is that they're leisure flights where pricing is the main differentiator. If you listen to JetBlue talk about their earnings over the past few years, you know that their problem isn't revenue, it's costs. They're filling the planes up, which they wouldn't necessarily do if they converted a chunk of the cabin to Mint on most flights.

That said, there will definitely be Mint service on the TATL flights, and I think there are some longer and more prestigious US routes where it would work too. So I'm sure you'll see more of it over time. But never on all or even most flights.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

PSAatSAN4Ever

Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:41 pm

The bean counters convinced the airline that the premium demand was there on certain flights, and that certain aircraft needed to be outfitted with Mint product. They crunched the numbers and said, "in these markets, we can make more". The time and investment was made, and Mint has been quite successful.

On other routes, however, that demand isn't there. Be this lack of demand or simply that the flight is too short, the Mint model doesn't work from Chicago. But transcons? Especially red-eyes? Heck yeah!!

seat1a

Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:02 pm

Flew JB last December in Mint up front. Loved it. Really a terrific way to fly with Deloitte paying. Seems like the ideal product for transcon (DCA/JFK/EWR/BOS/MIA-SEA/SFO/LAX/SAN). Wonder if ORD-West Coast would work?

Airstud

Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:32 pm

I think the question might be answered by the story of Midwest Express
Pancakes are delicious.