Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
leo777
Topic Author
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:09 pm

To recline or not to recline is the question?

Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:45 pm

With this whole dispute between the AA passenger who reclined her seat, do we think airlines should just lock the seats in place ala Spirit? I was on an AA 787 and the seat in front of me came crashing on my knees so I really don’t care for reclining seats.
You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there.
 
Kno
Posts: 614
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:08 pm

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:00 pm

I’d much rather the person in front of me recline and I be able to recline as well than do away with the whole thing.
 
Karlsands
Posts: 238
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:53 pm

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:22 pm

Recline away, it’s there for a reason, you paid for it. These modern whiners can’t stop making everything all about them and themselves only .
 
by738
Posts: 3172
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2000 7:59 am

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:25 pm

Nope, lock'em. The original recline function was not designed for 29/30" packed economy cabins. Unless you can guarantee everyoe can do it (you cant, what about the last row), its not comfortable or fair. If you want to recline, pay for the next class up.
 
User avatar
AirPacific747
Posts: 9875
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:52 am

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:30 pm

Recline all you want. You paid for the seat and if the person behind you doesn’t like it, he/she can simply recline their own seat too
 
Flanker7
Posts: 546
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:30 pm

by738 wrote:
Nope, lock'em. The original recline function was not designed for 29/30" packed economy cabins. Unless you can guarantee everyoe can do it (you cant, what about the last row), its not comfortable or fair. If you want to recline, pay for the next class up.


Om shorthaul I would say lock them but not on longhaul.
Flying blue only if possible
 
planecane
Posts: 1713
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:58 pm

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:33 pm

by738 wrote:
Nope, lock'em. The original recline function was not designed for 29/30" packed economy cabins. Unless you can guarantee everyoe can do it (you cant, what about the last row), its not comfortable or fair. If you want to recline, pay for the next class up.


Agree 100%. Plus, the seats don't recline enough to make it more comfortable anyway. In fact, with many of the seat designs I've sat it, it is less comfortable when you recline.

The biggest issue for me with the 30" pitch is that when somebody reclines it makes it impossible to reach down and grab something on the floor like if you drop your phone. It's almost impossible without the seat reclined but when it is, there is no way to bend forward far enough.

The only reason I ever recline is if the person in front of me does just to not have the seat back 6" from my face.
 
voxkel
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:17 pm

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:34 pm

by738 wrote:
Nope, lock'em. The original recline function was not designed for 29/30" packed economy cabins. Unless you can guarantee everyoe can do it (you cant, what about the last row), its not comfortable or fair. If you want to recline, pay for the next class up.


One of the few things Spirit has going for it, lol
 
User avatar
mercure1
Posts: 5211
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:13 am

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:42 pm

If seat reclines, by all means, you have a right to use it.
mercure f-wtcc
 
User avatar
Dahlgardo
Posts: 485
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:46 am

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:44 pm

Karlsands wrote:
Recline away, it’s there for a reason, you paid for it. These modern whiners can’t stop making everything all about them and themselves only .


To me this kind of attitude is exactly a "everything about themselves" attitude.

If the space is tight and your actions have a negative inpact on others, why not show some common courtesy and ask before you recline?

But I guess that kind of mentality is not modern anymore.
leave your nines at home and bring your skills to the battle
 
F9Animal
Posts: 4606
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:13 am

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:53 pm

I recline. But!!! I also take the time to ask the person behind me if it is okay. I had a guy once who was over 6 feet tall behind me once, and his legs were crammed against my seat back. I just simply didn't recline, cuz it wasn't gonna happen.

When meals are served, I don't move that seat back or forward either. 99.9 % of the time, I have been able to recline. I think it's nice to ask the person behind you if it's okay. And I never really thought much into it until this fiasco happened.
I Am A Different Animal!!
 
Milka
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:45 pm

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:54 pm

Of course don't block it, but reduce recline on shorthaul by 50% and keep full recline on longhaul.
 
PSAatSAN4Ever
Posts: 1268
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:37 pm

At night, I'm reclining. If it's an overnight flight and that see reclines, I will - slowly. On a daytime flight, no, I prefer not to recline.

This is ENTIRELY on the airlines - if the feature is there, do not simply tell people, "it's impolite not to come to a mutual agreement first". If the airline wants it to be NOT used, it is up to the airline to be sure that the recline feature is locked. Otherwise, shut up about it.
 
User avatar
LH748
Posts: 487
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:44 am

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:00 pm

Try not to recline during daytime and just be a bit respectful then no one is going to have any problems
306 310 318 319 320 321 333 343 388 ATR72 733 737 738 739 743 744 748 752 753 763 764 772 77W 788 CRJ7 CRJ9 E170 F100 MD11 RJ1H
AA AB AC AF AK AZ BA DE DL EW FD FR HF HG IB IR MF KU LH LT LX OD TG TK TP UA VJ VN WN W6 YP YW
 
johns624
Posts: 3960
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:23 pm

planecane wrote:
by738 wrote:

Agree 100%. Plus, the seats don't recline enough to make it more comfortable anyway.

Isn't that a contradiction? The seats hardly recline but don't recline it because it's in my space?
 
planecane
Posts: 1713
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:58 pm

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:50 pm

johns624 wrote:
planecane wrote:
by738 wrote:

Agree 100%. Plus, the seats don't recline enough to make it more comfortable anyway.

Isn't that a contradiction? The seats hardly recline but don't recline it because it's in my space?

No. I said the recline isn't enough to make it more comfortable but it still reduces the already small space in the row behind.
 
User avatar
janders
Moderator
Posts: 1214
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:27 pm

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:40 pm

Why offer seats if their recline cant is used? Seems fair and logical to avail oneself to the features of a seat.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 4637
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:43 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:
Recline all you want. You paid for the seat and if the person behind you doesn’t like it, he/she can simply recline their own seat too


That logic goes well until you hit the last row. As you know, they cannot recline. Therefor, since you cannot recline into the last row passengers in the fore last row shouldn't recline either. And therefor passengers in the row in front of that should neither.

Besides, what if people just want to sit up right and you smash your seat in their face? Are you forcing them to recline against their will?

So no, you cannot recline all you want. That's extremely selfish and arrogant. A reason for the person behind you to get very pissed off.

In my opinion, reclining seats are a remainder of the old days when there was still plenty of legroom. With the current little legroom, airlines are actually doing their passengers a favor by locking up their seats. Non-reclining seats are slowly becoming the standard, and this is a good thing. Reclining just doesn't go with the modern times anymore.
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 4637
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:48 pm

janders wrote:
Why offer seats if their recline cant is used? Seems fair and logical to avail oneself to the features of a seat.


If the recline function is available, people will start using it indeed. This will only lead to irritations, passengers getting angry with each other, etc.

However there are seats available that simply can't recline. This function does not exist on those seats. It started out with Ryanair and Wizzair installing those seats, nowadays they're becoming more commonplace and that's a good thing.

Besides no irritations among passengers those seats got another benefit, they weigh less due to having no reclining mechanism. That saves in aircraft weight.
 
User avatar
AirPacific747
Posts: 9875
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:52 am

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:01 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:
Recline all you want. You paid for the seat and if the person behind you doesn’t like it, he/she can simply recline their own seat too


That logic goes well until you hit the last row. As you know, they cannot recline. Therefor, since you cannot recline into the last row passengers in the fore last row shouldn't recline either. And therefor passengers in the row in front of that should neither.

Besides, what if people just want to sit up right and you smash your seat in their face? Are you forcing them to recline against their will?

So no, you cannot recline all you want. That's extremely selfish and arrogant. A reason for the person behind you to get very pissed off.

In my opinion, reclining seats are a remainder of the old days when there was still plenty of legroom. With the current little legroom, airlines are actually doing their passengers a favor by locking up their seats. Non-reclining seats are slowly becoming the standard, and this is a good thing. Reclining just doesn't go with the modern times anymore.


Not true. Maybe not the case with the airlines you usually fly with, but the ones I fly with have made room for reclining the seats on the last row as well. Otherwise great arguments!
 
Jutlander
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:04 am

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:27 pm

Lock the seats please!

If the airline doesn't, then I will. I have myself a couple of knee defenders. I know airlines ban them but I don't care. I use them anyway and so far I always got away with it. Best invention ever, but shame that it's necessary.

I never recline and I hate it when the person in front of me does. Those knee defenders are called like that for a reason, they should be mandatory.
 
johns624
Posts: 3960
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:33 pm

I see our Europeans have been successfully brainwashed that non reclining seats are better. I flew Vueling last year and their nonreclining seats sucked.
 
Kent350787
Posts: 1981
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:06 am

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:22 pm

Another non-recliner on short haul ie. under 5 hours. But not unhappy for others as long as they give me a little courtesy.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/ Q100/200/E195/ 733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/ 320/321/332/333/345/359
 
wetpantsmcgee
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 1:23 am

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:54 pm

I think they should replace the recline button with an eject button.
 
tax1k
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:02 am

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:31 pm

I think reclining is kind of like burping, passing gas, and other things that you have the “right” to do by virtue of buying a ticket.
 
aden23
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu May 03, 2018 11:12 pm

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:30 am

One thing is clear: people advocating for locked seats simply don’t fly very often.

Seat recline is one of the only remaining respites for frequent fliers, especially on long haul 737 or a320 flights, which are becoming extremely common.

I fact, last year I was on more 737 & 757 long haul fights (6+ hours) than 787 and 777’s, which fly tons of short haul domestic routes.

Advocating for locked seats is like voting to give yourself a stomach ache.
 
User avatar
northstardc4m
Posts: 3457
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2000 11:23 am

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:00 am

aden23 wrote:
One thing is clear: people advocating for locked seats simply don’t fly very often.

Seat recline is one of the only remaining respites for frequent fliers, especially on long haul 737 or a320 flights, which are becoming extremely common.

I fact, last year I was on more 737 & 757 long haul fights (6+ hours) than 787 and 777’s, which fly tons of short haul domestic routes.

Advocating for locked seats is like voting to give yourself a stomach ache.


Don't fly very often or only fly lots of short haul? Respite for frequent fliers or for short people frequent fliers?

Quite frankly these threads are getting rediculous... I'm tall, and I avoid certain airlines because of how their seats recline... I much prefer Delta just because of the reduced recline. I do book exit row if I can.

But honestly, the more "If it reclines it's my god given right to do it and F*** you if you don't agree" attitudes I see, the more I'm for locking all Y seats.

You want recline, YOU pay more for those seats. Stop pretending this is some moral high ground just because that button works.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
 
aden23
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu May 03, 2018 11:12 pm

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:13 am

northstardc4m wrote:
aden23 wrote:
One thing is clear: people advocating for locked seats simply don’t fly very often.

Seat recline is one of the only remaining respites for frequent fliers, especially on long haul 737 or a320 flights, which are becoming extremely common.

I fact, last year I was on more 737 & 757 long haul fights (6+ hours) than 787 and 777’s, which fly tons of short haul domestic routes.

Advocating for locked seats is like voting to give yourself a stomach ache.


Don't fly very often or only fly lots of short haul? Respite for frequent fliers or for short people frequent fliers?

Quite frankly these threads are getting rediculous... I'm tall, and I avoid certain airlines because of how their seats recline... I much prefer Delta just because of the reduced recline. I do book exit row if I can.

But honestly, the more "If it reclines it's my god given right to do it and F*** you if you don't agree" attitudes I see, the more I'm for locking all Y seats.

You want recline, YOU pay more for those seats. Stop pretending this is some moral high ground just because that button works.



Found that guy that only took 3 trips last year but is now an expert on repressing others rights to comfort.
 
Charters737
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:59 am

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:42 am

it's really obvious many people commenting here don't understand seat pitch, which is NOT a measure of legroom.

Airlines can reduce seat pitch, without reducing legroom by using slimline seats, instead of more conventional seats, which have very thin seat backs, but are still comfortable.
 
User avatar
afterburner
Posts: 1466
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:38 am

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:37 am

I recline slightly on short haul flights. I recline fully on long haul flights, especially when its sleeping time. I don't recline on meal times.
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 4637
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:47 am

johns624 wrote:
I see our Europeans have been successfully brainwashed that non reclining seats are better. I flew Vueling last year and their nonreclining seats sucked.


Not brainwashed, just sane. I would say it's the frequent flyer fossils that are brainwashed to think they have the right to recline. While them reclining is a nuisance to everyone else, they don't care because they have a holy conviction that they have that right.

Yes, the Vueling seats suck. They are tight together. That's just the way it is, live with it! They would suck even more if they would recline, so you just have to accept the fact that they can't.

aden23 wrote:
One thing is clear: people advocating for locked seats simply don’t fly very often.

Seat recline is one of the only remaining respites for frequent fliers, especially on long haul 737 or a320 flights, which are becoming extremely common.

I fact, last year I was on more 737 & 757 long haul fights (6+ hours) than 787 and 777’s, which fly tons of short haul domestic routes.

Advocating for locked seats is like voting to give yourself a stomach ache.


I beg to differ. I might not fly as often as you do, but I certainly fly a number of flights a year. Mostly on 737s/A320s. And for the most part on airlines that have their seats locked. I prefer it that way.

Frequent fliers are a nuisance to the other passengers, specially the arrogance they have when it comes to reclining seats and such. Some frequent fliers really should be put in their place, in other words they should get their ass kicked. Sounds like you're one of them.

Stomach ache? Stop whining! Think about the knee ache, head ache and all other inconveniences that your recline is causing to the passengers behind you. Besides, I can sit up straight for the duration of those flights without stomach ache either. And if I can, so can you!
 
Nordfisch
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:41 pm

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:35 pm

Of course recline, but not like an ignorant hack. On long haul during meal service never, but as soon the trays are gone, well sure, getting comfy as good as possible in Y. I have only been flying European carriers on long haul in recent years, but to my experience, the FA's always asked to put the seat up during service. (LH, BA, KL, IB) On short haul, I personally never had an issue with a person reclining in front or the person sitting behind me. But I am an average height of 1.82m (6.0"), someone taller might surely have an issue at times, it should be courtesy and politeness in that case not to recline at full on a short flight, it's not gonna kill you.
 
johns624
Posts: 3960
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:03 pm

European flights are much shorter than in the US. London-Rome is about 900 miles and Berlin-Madrid 1150. NYC-Denver is 1600 and Detroit-LA is 1900. Then we have the transcons...
 
Nordfisch
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:41 pm

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:17 pm

johns624 wrote:
European flights are much shorter than in the US. London-Rome is about 900 miles and Berlin-Madrid 1150. NYC-Denver is 1600 and Detroit-LA is 1900. Then we have the transcons...


London-Athens is around 1500, Helsinki-Lisbon 2000 and so on, plenty of routes with similar distances in Europe.
 
User avatar
northstardc4m
Posts: 3457
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2000 11:23 am

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:38 pm

aden23 wrote:
northstardc4m wrote:
aden23 wrote:
One thing is clear: people advocating for locked seats simply don’t fly very often.

Seat recline is one of the only remaining respites for frequent fliers, especially on long haul 737 or a320 flights, which are becoming extremely common.

I fact, last year I was on more 737 & 757 long haul fights (6+ hours) than 787 and 777’s, which fly tons of short haul domestic routes.

Advocating for locked seats is like voting to give yourself a stomach ache.


Don't fly very often or only fly lots of short haul? Respite for frequent fliers or for short people frequent fliers?

Quite frankly these threads are getting rediculous... I'm tall, and I avoid certain airlines because of how their seats recline... I much prefer Delta just because of the reduced recline. I do book exit row if I can.

But honestly, the more "If it reclines it's my god given right to do it and F*** you if you don't agree" attitudes I see, the more I'm for locking all Y seats.

You want recline, YOU pay more for those seats. Stop pretending this is some moral high ground just because that button works.



Found that guy that only took 3 trips last year but is now an expert on repressing others rights to comfort.
Found that guy that makes assumptions without cause about other people they don't know... Don't assume you know how much I fly or any one else for that matter, or maybe we should question your claims about it? Just FYI I have 8 sectors flown this year (as in during 2020), I really don't care if that's more or less than you, I don't pretend it gives some kind of higher right in this discussion.



Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
 
johns624
Posts: 3960
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:45 pm

Nordfisch wrote:
johns624 wrote:
European flights are much shorter than in the US. London-Rome is about 900 miles and Berlin-Madrid 1150. NYC-Denver is 1600 and Detroit-LA is 1900. Then we have the transcons...


London-Athens is around 1500, Helsinki-Lisbon 2000 and so on, plenty of routes with similar distances in Europe.
Look at a map. I wasn't doing maximum distances, you are. I was doing everyday, busy routes. In that case, Boston-Los Angeles is 3000 miles and Miami-Seattle is 2750.
 
Nordfisch
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:41 pm

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:08 pm

johns624 wrote:
Nordfisch wrote:
johns624 wrote:
European flights are much shorter than in the US. London-Rome is about 900 miles and Berlin-Madrid 1150. NYC-Denver is 1600 and Detroit-LA is 1900. Then we have the transcons...


London-Athens is around 1500, Helsinki-Lisbon 2000 and so on, plenty of routes with similar distances in Europe.
Look at a map. I wasn't doing maximum distances, you are. I was doing everyday, busy routes. In that case, Boston-Los Angeles is 3000 miles and Miami-Seattle is 2750.


Cute, but in terms of recline or not recline, it's irrelevant if we talk about a busy route or not. Three, four or five hours in a seat are the same on any continent/ any route. And I wouldn't consider those you mentioned "short" flights anyway. But no doubt, being on a UA/DL/AA 738 transcon is surely more comfortable then on a Ryanair 738 from, let's say Oslo to Las Palmas, which is around the same flight time. Not sure if Spirit or Frontier are doing transcon, but that wouldn't be fun either I guess.
 
bgm
Posts: 2535
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:37 am

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:22 pm

Karlsands wrote:
Recline away, it’s there for a reason, you paid for it. These modern whiners can’t stop making everything all about them and themselves only .


Yet you are guilty of precisely that.

You don't give a damn about the simple fact that by reclining your seat, you are taking up the very limited space of the person behind you. That's incredibly selfish and that's why it places you squarely in the category that you seem to be berating others. The irony is certainly not lost in your post.

AirPacific747 wrote:
Recline all you want. You paid for the seat and if the person behind you doesn’t like it, he/she can simply recline their own seat too


Except when they can't (in front of an emergency exit, or last row).
 
User avatar
AirPacific747
Posts: 9875
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:52 am

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:45 pm

bgm wrote:
Except when they can't (in front of an emergency exit, or last row).


But in return they have loads of legroom
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 4637
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:56 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:
bgm wrote:
Except when they can't (in front of an emergency exit, or last row).


But in return they have loads of legroom


No they don't.

We're talking about the last row and the row in front of the emergency exits. Those are ordinary rows with ordinary amounts of legroom, but they can't recline. When it comes to the emergency exits, the emergency exit rows have loads of legroom but the row in front of that doesn't. Still, regulations say they aren't allowed to recline into the emergency exit row space in order to not block the way to the emergency exits.

If you're seated in that row, you definitely wish the seats were locked. You really don't want anyone reclining in your face.

Besides, even if you had more legroom, that doesn't make up for the loss of face room. And not everybody wants to recline, some people just want to sit up straight. They should have the right to sit up straight normally without anyone reclining in their face.
 
bgm
Posts: 2535
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:37 am

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:29 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:
bgm wrote:
Except when they can't (in front of an emergency exit, or last row).


But in return they have loads of legroom


Nope, because they are not in the emergency exit, they are in the row in front of it (hence why they cannot recline also).
 
User avatar
AirPacific747
Posts: 9875
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:52 am

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:19 pm

Fair enough. So what you’re both saying is that nobody should be allowed to recline because of the rows in front of the emergency exit. I’d have to disagree with your point of view.
 
User avatar
UPlog
Posts: 740
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:45 am

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:44 pm

Seat is designed to recline, so yes avail yourself to that feature if you desire.
I fly your boxes
 
mchei
Posts: 203
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:20 pm

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:01 pm

One person's freedom ends where another person's freedom begins.

:)

I don’t recline in Economy simply because I think it’s not polite because there is literally no room left for the guy behind me. I hate it when the guy in front of me reclines but I don’t tell him or her not to so. He or she is free to recline the seat.
F70-F100-E145-E170-E190-319-320-321-735–736-737-738-752-763–742-744-333-343-ATR72-Metroliner-Saab2000-Lockheed Electra-C172-C182-C182RG-MD11
 
bgm
Posts: 2535
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:37 am

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:07 pm

UPlog wrote:
Seat is designed to recline, so yes avail yourself to that feature if you desire.


There are ashtrays in the toilets of planes, but that doesn't mean you should light up a cigarette..
 
User avatar
conaly
Posts: 480
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 10:50 pm

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:56 am

Anyone, who doesn't want the person in front of him to recline, but is not willing to pay for either exit/first row or business/first class, is part of the problem. If you think you have not enough space, then you should have paid more. You knew beforehand, that the seats recline. So you got what you paid for and the person in front got also, what he paid for: a seat with recline! Reclining seats are not taking away space from others, they are using space that has been paid for by the person using that seat!

On shorthaul, I do agree, that there is not much need for recline, but on longhaul I will recline if necessary. And nobody will stop me from that. I'll inform the person behind me, that I will recline before, but I won't argue about that, if he does not agree (actually that never happened before).
Airports 2019 ADB, ALG, AMD, ATL, BOG, BOS, CDG, CTS, DEL, DTW, DUS, EWR, FRA, FUK, HAM, HFT, HIJ, HND, HVG, IST, ITM, JFK, MUC, NGO, NUE, OKA, PHL, SIN, STN, TOS, YYZ, ZRH
Airports 2020 ALG, AMS, CTS, FRA, GVA, HKG, HND, LYS, MSQ, MUC, NUE, SXF, TLV, ZRH
 
VSMUT
Posts: 5497
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:12 am

I really like Aeroflot. They ask all passengers to put their seats into the upright position prior to meal services. More airlines should do that.

Personally, I in economy I will try to stay upright on flights shorter than 2 hours or so and during meal services. Business class I don't care, I do whatever is most comfortable for me.


johns624 wrote:
I see our Europeans have been successfully brainwashed that non reclining seats are better. I flew Vueling last year and their nonreclining seats sucked.


:checkmark:

They are total crap. They have no lean to them at all, the backs face straight up and are really uncomfortable. They even reduce the length of the seat cushion.

I have actually tried some non-reclining seats in the ATR that were really good. They were built with a pretty generous amount of recline to begin with.
 
johns624
Posts: 3960
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:47 pm

bgm wrote:
UPlog wrote:
Seat is designed to recline, so yes avail yourself to that feature if you desire.


There are ashtrays in the toilets of planes, but that doesn't mean you should light up a cigarette..
Smoking on a plane is illegal, reclining your seat isn't.
 
User avatar
northstardc4m
Posts: 3457
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2000 11:23 am

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:19 pm

conaly wrote:
Anyone, who doesn't want the person in front of him to recline, but is not willing to pay for either exit/first row or business/first class, is part of the problem. If you think you have not enough space, then you should have paid more.


You can easily turn that argument around (you want to recline you should pay for more space...) As an argunent it doesn't hold water. If you want to make an argument in support of recline by saying x should pay more than me because I say so isn't an argument at all. In fact crying that someone else should pay more for something you want comes off as selfish.

Locking seats upright isn't hard for the airline to do(almost all seats are designed so that they can be locked for exit row use), so just because you can now isn't an argument that is safe to assume will remain such... Many airlines banned smoking long before it was regulated for example, so if enough noise or costs to allow it go up it can go away very easily.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
 
DALMD80
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:25 pm

Re: To recline or not to recline is the question?

Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:49 pm

Flanker7 wrote:
by738 wrote:
Nope, lock'em. The original recline function was not designed for 29/30" packed economy cabins. Unless you can guarantee everyoe can do it (you cant, what about the last row), its not comfortable or fair. If you want to recline, pay for the next class up.


Om shorthaul I would say lock them but not on longhaul.

I agree. But don't recline excessively. It's not fair to have someone else's seat in your lap.
The 757-200 with Rolls Royce engines in the US Airways livery is the ultimate in airliner beauty,

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: maps4ltd and 10 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos