Airstud
Topic Author

Announcement that "boarding is closed" when it ain't

Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:47 pm

Why, with AA4614 the ONLY flight scheduled out of HVN (Gate 3) this a.m., and with eight or nine people (including moi), some of whom had checked bags (including moi (the passenger; I'm not a bag)) still not past the TSA checkpoint, would the gate guy announce "Boarding for Gate 3 is now closed" over the PA system, and the video screen at the gate also display "Flight closed?" This was 15 or 20 minutes before the 5:53am departure time.

Common sense fail.

I mean srsly - doesn't the pax manifest have to reconcile with any checked baggage?

And in any case why in blazes would they "close" boarding more than ten minutes ahead of departure, with a good quantity of checked-in pax not yet on board and not a single "last call for so-and-so" announcement.
Pancakes are delicious.

ParkFSI

Re: Announcement that "boarding is closed" when it ain't

Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:07 am

I can’t answer your question but that happened to me years ago and a friend of mine that was very knowledgeable of scheduled operations said this was known to happen because of weather conditions. They may be trying to meet a gate connection, and in his words it’s illegal.
Thread killer

AirKevin

Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:11 am

No idea. I will say that last September, as we were waiting to board, I watched the gate monitor change to boarding, and then to final boarding....when boarding hadn't even started since people from the inbound flight were still getting off the plane.
Captain Kevin

zrs70

Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:18 am

Doesn’t boarding generally end 20 minutes before pushback as a general rule?
20 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2020

Airstud
Topic Author

Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:35 am

ParkFSI wrote:
this was known to happen because of weather conditions. They may be trying to meet a gate connection, and in his words it’s illegal

But, the weather was benign on the HVN-PHL corridor today :boggled:

AirKevin wrote:
watched the gate monitor change to boarding, and then to final boarding

But, this was a live dude making the announcement, see. :boggled:

zrs70 wrote:
Doesn’t boarding generally end 20 minutes before pushback as a general rule?

Generally schmenerally; and 20 schm0, American's own communimacations say that doors close 10 (ten) minutes before departure. :boggled:

From this experience this morning at Tweed New Haven Regional Airport, we surely must conclude one thing:

:boggled:
Pancakes are delicious.

FGITD

Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:40 am

Gate usually closes 20min prior to departure exactly because of baggage/pax reconciliation. If there's no show pax, the time to offload their bag is not at scheduled departure time. At least not if you hope to go on time.

Not sure why they wouldn't page the missing pax though. It's very against policy where I work, but I've heard of agents "closing" the gate via signage and announcement to put the rush in some people who are on their way

mchei

Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:14 am

I am a pax so I can only tell from my experience as such. In Europe it depends very much on the agent operating the gate and on the destination as well as on where the aircraft is located. When it’s standing at an apron position, gate agents seem to be more strict. But sometimes they keep the last bus waiting for connecting passengers.
Last week on my way from Frankfurt to London City they closed boarding early because one must arrive at City on time due to limited parking there. I overheard a conversation between the gate agents and they said that two connecting passengers wouldn’t make it. The plane was sitting on the tarmac for half an hour (due to parking at City :) but the two pax never boarded. Doors were closed.
F70-F100-E145-E170-E190-319-320-321-735–736-737-738-752-763–742-744-333-343-ATR72-Metroliner-Saab2000-Lockheed Electra-C172-C182-C182RG-MD11

teachpdx

Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:44 am

I flew DI SEA-LGW last year. Exited the SEA security nightmare 60 minutes before departure only to hear final boarding call announcements for my flight. Boarding was scheduled to start 60 mins prior to departure, but hearing final call over and over again caused me and multiple others to sprint to the gate... just to see a queue of maybe 75 people still at the boarding gate.
Understandably, they wanted to get everybody to the gate. But repeatedly calling out final call 30-40 mins early is not the friendliest way to do it.
Up Next: AS PDX-LAX | MU LAX-PVG-BKK | DD DMK-KBV | FD KBV-DMK-HAN | FD HAN-CNX | MU CNX-PVG-YVR

IPFreely

Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:21 am

Airstud wrote:
From this experience this morning at Tweed New Haven Regional Airport, we surely must conclude one thing:

Then we all surely agree: you should have shown up on time.

Airstud
Topic Author

Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:12 am

IPFreely wrote:
Airstud wrote:

Departure was scheduled for 5:53am; I was there at 5:05.
Pancakes are delicious.

CrimsonNL

Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:44 am

It's the same as agents announcing like 5 times that "this is the FINAL boarding call". Always has been one of my pet peeves
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

northstardc4m

Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:24 pm

CrimsonNL wrote:
It's the same as agents announcing like 5 times that "this is the FINAL boarding call". Always has been one of my pet peeves
Almost always means they are missing one or two passengers that checked in.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

AeroLogical

Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:07 pm

Airstud wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
Airstud wrote:

Departure was scheduled for 5:53am; I was there at 5:05.

Which is pretty generous at HVN. I've had the check-in people laugh at me for getting there over an hour early before. It's very much a walk from curb to gate in less than 5 minutes 'airport'.

Longhornmaniac

Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:11 pm

So I've actually operated this flight before, and can certainly attest that showing up at 5:05 for a 5:53 is generous. I'm surprised the Eagle ground staff at HVN would do this; I've found them to be both friendly and competent in my interactions with them.

With that many passengers missing (especially since all you have to do is look downstairs to see them still at TSA), I can't understand why they'd close the flight.

From the flight crew's perspective, if we're told by the gate agent they're finished boarding, we're not likely to second guess them.

Genuinely surprised at this.
Cheers,
Cameron

Airstud
Topic Author

Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:37 am

Longhornmaniac wrote:
So I've actually operated this flight before, and can certainly attest that showing up at 5:05 for a 5:53 is generous. I'm surprised the Eagle ground staff at HVN would do this; I've found them to be both friendly and competent in my interactions with them.

With that many passengers missing (especially since all you have to do is look downstairs to see them still at TSA), I can't understand why they'd close the flight.

From the flight crew's perspective, if we're told by the gate agent they're finished boarding, we're not likely to second guess them.

Genuinely surprised at this.

Of course the other side of the coin is that with the airport being as small as it is
- makes BTV look like Dulles - the TSA guy is also the janitor, skycap, and has the doughnut concession.
Pancakes are delicious.

ExpatVet

Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:54 pm

mchei wrote:
I am a pax so I can only tell from my experience as such. In Europe it depends very much on the agent operating the gate and on the destination as well as on where the aircraft is located. When it’s standing at an apron position, gate agents seem to be more strict. But sometimes they keep the last bus waiting for connecting passengers.
Last week on my way from Frankfurt to London City they closed boarding early because one must arrive at City on time due to limited parking there. I overheard a conversation between the gate agents and they said that two connecting passengers wouldn’t make it. The plane was sitting on the tarmac for half an hour (due to parking at City :) but the two pax never boarded. Doors were closed.

It must be a Frankfurt thing, exact same thing happened to me on a flight last year. Five minutes before departure? Nope, sucks to be me! It was a tight connection, but I was flying in on Lufthansa too, so it's not like they didn't know about me.
L101, 733/4/5/8/9, 741/2/3 (never managed 744!), MD 80/2/3/8/90, MD11, DHC8/3/Q4, E170, E195, 757, 77W, 763/4, Travel Air 2000. A300/310, A319/320/321, A333, ATR-72, probably a few others I forget. Passenger, not pilot, alas! BUD based.

mchei

Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:52 pm

ExpatVet wrote:
mchei wrote:

It must be a Frankfurt thing, exact same thing happened to me on a flight last year. Five minutes before departure? Nope, sucks to be me! It was a tight connection, but I was flying in on Lufthansa too, so it's not like they didn't know about me.

It can be a Frankfurt thing, absolutely. But at least they are not getting worse. I feel the situation is improving there, perhaps because LH shifted some ops to Munich. They even picked me up at the aircraft with my flight coming in late the other day and brought me to my connecting flight, something that I had never seen there. I’m not a Senator, just a FTL which is like nothing. Perhaps they had a good day ;)
F70-F100-E145-E170-E190-319-320-321-735–736-737-738-752-763–742-744-333-343-ATR72-Metroliner-Saab2000-Lockheed Electra-C172-C182-C182RG-MD11

ExpatVet

Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:32 am

mchei wrote:
ExpatVet wrote:
mchei wrote:

It can be a Frankfurt thing, absolutely. But at least they are not getting worse. I feel the situation is improving there, perhaps because LH shifted some ops to Munich. They even picked me up at the aircraft with my flight coming in late the other day and brought me to my connecting flight, something that I had never seen there. I’m not a Senator, just a FTL which is like nothing. Perhaps they had a good day ;)

Well, I was just Economy class. You know, the ballast in the back that keeps the plane from tipping over forwards in flight. ;)

I'm not asking for special treatment, I just want the airport or airline to respect the published and advertised departure times.
L101, 733/4/5/8/9, 741/2/3 (never managed 744!), MD 80/2/3/8/90, MD11, DHC8/3/Q4, E170, E195, 757, 77W, 763/4, Travel Air 2000. A300/310, A319/320/321, A333, ATR-72, probably a few others I forget. Passenger, not pilot, alas! BUD based.