Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sk736
Topic Author

Flying for Fun?

Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:55 pm

I like flying just for the fun of it. I’ve booked a trip with Vueling MAN/BCN/MAN in April so I can fly on one of their A320s outbound and A321s inbound. The trip gives me about three hours at BCN which I plan to spend just watching the planes arrive and depart. My question is this...will such a short trip be seen as a bit odd or do lots of enthusiasts do this kind of thing?

VSMUT

Re: Flying for Fun?

Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:05 pm

sk736 wrote:
I like flying just for the fun of it. I’ve booked a trip with Vueling MAN/BCN/MAN in April so I can fly on one of their A320s outbound and A321s inbound. The trip gives me about three hours at BCN which I plan to spend just watching the planes arrive and depart. My question is this...will such a short trip be seen as a bit odd or do lots of enthusiasts do this kind of thing?

It isn't atypical, but going for something as common as a Vueling A320 probably is.

Sometimes I go out of my way to try something new and interesting, but only if I am already on the go and it isn't too bothersome. Almost got my first 747 this weekend on such a trip, but Dennis put a stopper to that :(

PatrickZ80

Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:27 pm

I agree I wouldn't do it for something as common as an A320 or A321, I can fly those whenever I like. But I do like to fly for fun. The difference however is that, unless I'm connecting somewhere, I do like to stay in one place for a bit longer. At least 24 hours in one place.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with flying an A320 or A321, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it. Last time I flew I had a pleasant surprise to see an A321NEO when I expected to see a regular A321 but that was as far as it went.

SRQKEF

Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:48 am

Av geeks do it all the time, don't worry about it. In fact, a guy I know who flies 200-300 flights a year says he's "stopped travelling, I only fly now"!

I agree with other posters that I wouldn't necessarily go out of my way to get on something as mundane as a VY A320 series aircraft, but if the ticket is cheap and it's a new airline in your log, why not go for it?

I tend to travel alot and often take an extra flight or two on the way to get a more interesting routing, whether that means connecting in HEL on the way home from London to catch the AY A350 or starting my trip over the Atlantic the wrong way around to avoid yet another FI 757. Plus, I regularly go on trips specifically to chase random airlines and widebodies on 5th freedom routes within Europe.
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

PlymSpotter

Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:10 am

Before we call an A320 mundane, lets maintain some perspective here - we aren't all flying dozens of times a year on multiple rare types. :)

Personally I have done hundreds of these trips - I love them. Nowadays I try and focus more on the destination and sightseeing, but it still involves a lot of flying and often I try and orientate my work / leisure schedule according to what rare / unusual aircraft or airline that I can fly. There's nothing unusual about it, but I would encourage you offset your flight's emissions via a reputable organisation.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

SRQKEF

Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:52 am

PlymSpotter wrote:
Before we call an A320 mundane, lets maintain some perspective here - we aren't all flying dozens of times a year on multiple rare types. :)

Personally I have done hundreds of these trips - I love them. Nowadays I try and focus more on the destination and sightseeing, but it still involves a lot of flying and often I try and orientate my work / leisure schedule according to what rare / unusual aircraft or airline that I can fly. There's nothing unusual about it, but I would encourage you offset your flight's emissions via a reputable organisation.

Agreed on the emissions part, in the last few years I've made sure to carbon offset all the flights I take.

And you're right on the A320 part. In fact, looking back memory lane, I was very excited to log Vueling myself many years ago on FCO-BCN back when my flight log was much smaller and less diverse. Back then they were a smaller airline as well, and not necessarily one I expected to have a reason to fly. Since then I have 10 flights with them and my knees hate me for it! :mrgreen:

Pudelhund

Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:50 pm

I do this all the time on my day(s) off from work. Just flew CMH-MDW-DAL Tuesday morning on Southwest and then DFW-DTW-CMH on Delta Tuesday evening. Got my second A220 flight.

masi1157

Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:09 pm

In fact I find it seriously strange. But that might be because I had more than enough flights in my life. I did however do a few flights on DC3 and Ju52/3m for fun and one single flight that was useless, expensive (compared to the train) and just for fun: An F100 of OLT from BRE to HAM. I was at BRE airport anyway and had a flight booked from HAM that evening, so it fit quite well. Otherwise I would not do it. Actually I try to avoid flying when train/bus/ferry are viable alternatives. There are so many much nicer ways to spend my time and my money.

Gruß, masi1157
517 different segments on 101 airlines to 212 airports in 55 countries

SRQKEF

Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:01 pm

masi1157 wrote:
In fact I find it seriously strange. But that might be because I had more than enough flights in my life. I did however do a few flights on DC3 and Ju52/3m for fun and one single flight that was useless, expensive (compared to the train) and just for fun: An F100 of OLT from BRE to HAM. I was at BRE airport anyway and had a flight booked from HAM that evening, so it fit quite well. Otherwise I would not do it. Actually I try to avoid flying when train/bus/ferry are viable alternatives. There are so many much nicer ways to spend my time and my money.

Gruß, masi1157

Did you log onto the wrong forum? :mrgreen:

Just kidding, of course. While I love chasing different rare aircraft types, exotic airlines and smaller airports around, I understand it's just a hobby like any other - some like it, others don't. However, I find that a nice byproduct of this quite niche hobby is that it often gives you chances to see interesting places that one would otherwise never visit.

masi1157

Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:16 pm

SRQKEF wrote:

No, not at all. I love to fly, but I fly to get to intersting places (or go by train/bus/ferry/bicycle...), not just for the flight. And isn't this forum about airliners as a whole, not just flying in them? The engineering side of them was my job for 35 years, flying was just a by-product.

SRQKEF wrote:
....gives you chances to see interesting places that one would otherwise never visit.

In german we would say "the other way around it makes a shoe". Travel to interesting places because they are interesting. And take a flight to get there if you have to.

Gruß, masi1157
517 different segments on 101 airlines to 212 airports in 55 countries

SRQKEF

Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:21 pm

masi1157 wrote:
SRQKEF wrote:

No, not at all. I love to fly, but I fly to get to intersting places (or go by train/bus/ferry/bicycle...), not just for the flight. And isn't this forum about airliners as a whole, not just flying in them? The engineering side of them was my job for 35 years, flying was just a by-product.

SRQKEF wrote:
....gives you chances to see interesting places that one would otherwise never visit.

In german we would say "the other way around it makes a shoe". Travel to interesting places because they are interesting. And take a flight to get there if you have to.

Gruß, masi1157

As I said, I was just kidding. There are so many things about aviation one can marvel at, actually being on-board is just kne of them, so I totally understand where you're coming from. :)

regards,
Sveinn

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:27 pm

If money were no object, I would definitely fly for the fun of it.

I had the chance to fly on the inaugural 737MAX flight from KUL-SIN, and the inaugural non-stop SIN-SEA flights, but the moolah wasn't there. In the case of the MAX, the fare was 3x the average KUL-SIN fare.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

aeromoe

Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:53 am

I do it as often as I can...whether or not I'm using some frequent-flyer miles or paying with money. The plane is scheduled to fly whether or not my butt is in the seat or not. I did however check the "carbon neutral" option on my recent KLM flights to/from AMS over the end of January.
Since 60s: AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(85) BY B6 CO CZ(16) DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(87) OZ(88) PA PI PN(97) PT QF QQ RM RO RV(99) RV(16) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(13) ZZ 9K

MartijnNL

Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:07 pm

sk736 wrote:
My question is this...will such a short trip be seen as a bit odd or do lots of enthusiasts do this kind of thing?

The general public might consider short trips a bit odd, but many aviation enthusiasts see it differently.

Two weeks ago I travelled for fun from Amsterdam to Toronto. Stayed two nights at an airport hotel en spent the day between those nights making four flights on Delta's MD-88.

I have flown from Amsterdam to Johannesburg for just ten hours, to Shanghai for one day and twice to San Francisco for two days. Within Europe I have made numerous short trips just for fun.

I never carbon offset the flights I take, because the whole idea of it is just ridiculous. I fly and the airline plants a tree in a far away country. As if that will save the world. If all passengers would offset their flights there wouldn't be enough room on our planet for all the trees.

sk736
Topic Author

Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:26 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
sk736 wrote:
My question is this...will such a short trip be seen as a bit odd or do lots of enthusiasts do this kind of thing?

The general public might consider short trips a bit odd, but many aviation enthusiasts see it differently.

Two weeks ago I travelled for fun from Amsterdam to Toronto. Stayed two nights at an airport hotel en spent the day between those nights making four flights on Delta's MD-88.

I have flown from Amsterdam to Johannesburg for just ten hours, to Shanghai for one day and twice to San Francisco for two days. Within Europe I have made numerous short trips just for fun.

I never carbon offset the flights I take, because the whole idea of it is just ridiculous. I fly and the airline plants a tree in a far away country. As if that will save the world. If all passengers would offset their flights there wouldn't be enough room on our planet for all the trees.

Sounds like you’ve made some great trips! I particularly liked the Toronto one with four Delta MD88s. Did you get a hard time from Canadian immigration about the purpose of your trip? In my experience, they’re the most suspicious people in the world!!!

MartijnNL

Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:42 pm

sk736 wrote:
Sounds like you’ve made some great trips! I particularly liked the Toronto one with four Delta MD88s.

So did I. It was my last and only chance to log the MD-88. In the past I have flown on the MD-81, -82, -83, -87 and -90, only the -88 was still missing. I thought about it many times. Would it be worth it? Should I spend the money on something else? What if I book a ticket and Delta decides to change the equipment? I noticed all flights between Toronto to Atlanta were operated by MD-88. So that looked like a good starting point.

When Lufthansa offered 320 EUR return tickets from Amsterdam via Frankfurt to Toronto, with the longhaul part on the Boeing 747-400, I made the decision in December to go forward with the plan. But I didn't secure flights on the MD-88 until a few weeks later. To be as certain as possible to get this particular aircraft type I was looking at destinations like Dayton, Kansas City, Little Rock, Memphis, Norfolk, Wichita and other secondary cities. In the end I settled for Des Moines, Iowa.

The day trip on Delta Airlines was more expensive than the transatlantic return voyage, although not much, also because I selected Comfort Plus class. Looking back now, I made the trip precisely two weeks ago, I am very satisfied that I travelled across an ocean with the sole purpose of experiencing the MD-88. It was great and I will remember it for a long time to come. I think the crew also appreciated my commitment. For the last leg of my trip, from Atlanta back to Toronto, they gave me seat 1A. So my last flight on the MD-80 series was in first class.

sk736 wrote:
Did you get a hard time from Canadian immigration about the purpose of your trip? In my experience, they’re the most suspicious people in the world!!!

Actually Canadian immigration was surprisingly welcoming. Seldom have I entered a non Schengen country so easily.

The whole process took just eleven words.

Immigration officer: "Why are you visiting Canada?"
Me: "For a fun weekend."
Immigration officer: "Okay, enjoy!"

That was it. Maybe the fact that I also visited Toronto 1,5 years earlier, helped for getting the green light. I was admitted in less than thirty seconds.

dfwjim1

Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:14 am

Last year I flew on Allegiant from FLL to Asheville, NC and back to try out G4. Just went for the day by myself and had a fine time.

jeffh747

Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:53 pm

A younger version of myself would absolutely love the idea of flying to a destination and coming back just for fun. Fortunately however, I don’t have to do it as much since as a result of especially my more recent travels and work, I’ve been able to fly a lot more frequently! While that means flying on a lot more A320s, it doesn’t prohibit the one-off “unnecessary” connection!

Two weeks ago, I was flying to Denver for a hockey game, and the nonstop on American out of MIA was $200. I was able to save $20 and have a bit of fun by flying on Silver’s brand new ATR-72-600 from FLL-MCO, and self connected on a Frontier A321 to DEN.

And this week I was able to finally able to fly on jetBlue Mint from FLL-LAX, instead of taking a nonstop to my final destination of LAS (I later flew there from LGB which was also very exciting).

It’s always a lot more fun when you have planned travel, and can turn what would otherwise be a normal nonstop flight into a mini-adventure, and I hope your future travels allow you to be able to do such things. Out and back trips for the sole purpose of flying are always going to be a lot of fun, but it can be very rewarding when you have to fly somewhere and can just make it more fun by trying new airlines and aircraft types!
ATR-72-600, A318 A319 A320 A320neo A321 A321neo A332 A333 B717 B727 B734 B73G B738 B739 B752 B762 B763 B772 B788 CRJ2 DHC6 DHC8-300 E145 E190 MD82 MD83 MD90 SF340B

bennett123

Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:26 pm

Pity that you are not staying for a couple of days.

There is a neat little Aviation Museum nearby and a great spot for taking pictures as they land.

n729pa

Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:35 pm

Yes I will do "fly for fun" sometimes as it were. There may be a motive behind each trip, being based at LHR there are only so many BA A320-type flights you can take for novelty value. The last trip comes to might like this was a day return LHR-LIS to try the TAP A330 back in October (the particular A330 was retired soon after too), for an hour or so in Lisbon, bit of shopping at the airport, then back on a evening flight. Like MartijnNL above, have done longer trips too, LHR-DXB for the day (sort of), out on the QF A380 from LHR late Fri night, arrive in DXB 7-ish the next morning, so no hotel needed. A day in Dubai doing a tour/sights or meeting friends etc., back to the airport for the return QF A380 around midnight arriving back in LHR early Sun morning (again no hotel needed). Needed to clock off some QF flights for my FF account, due to circumstances at the time it was easier to do it this way (did it twice several months apart in fact). The first time I did use a hotel in DXB, because the QF A380 went tech in SYD on the upbound flight, so go put on an earlier empty EK flight instead so arrived at 2am, so needed a hotel that time. But its for most of us our hobby, our interest etc., so why not. If there is an interesting type of aircraft or a new one I've not been on, I might plan an itinerary to try it - doesn't always work, have tried to get the OS 777 from FRA-VIE twice now, first time it was changed to an A320, the second time they swapped it for a A320 again, but as we taxied for take off we passed the incoming 777 that had to swapped onto the next flight that particular day instead! Oh well... but with a busy and sometimes quite stressful day to day or week, it helps me to relax and get away from it for a few hours or so.

blandy62

Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:48 am

I do but generally there is a "reason" being. New aircraft type, new cool 5th freedom. had two trip planned in February but well was cancelled due to the current siuiation