Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

727glasair
Topic Author

Civil Aviation Humor....True Story

Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:21 pm

Last month on one of our east coast flights landing at DCA, a male passenger expressed his displeasure at his meal service by calling loudly for the female FA by saying "WAITRESS" several times. Later he said to her "gee, you give pretty good service....did you used to work at Denny's?"

With 33 years seniority, the resourceful FA found a way to get back at him. She knew where his carry-on bag was in the overhead, and got a baggage tag from the locker....and routed his bag through Honolulu !! (She just set it at the Jetway door & the groundcrew took it right away)

IADCA

Re: Civil Aviation Humor....True Story

Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:24 pm

Yes, and if this really happened, the story would completely end there, when the guy gets off the flight and his bag is missing, only to show up two days later with a handwritten baggage tag routing it through HNL. Riiiiiiight.

LTCM

Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:55 pm

And people wonder why airlines have such terrible service reputations.

hOMSaR

Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:29 pm

This story makes no sense.

First, the passenger would almost certainly have gone to get his bag as soon as the seatbelt sign was off, and not finding it, would have started asking around. Second, why would ground crew take a bag from the jetway immediately upon landing? That's something that happens at the end of the boarding process.
I was raised by a cup of coffee.

Polot

Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:32 pm

A FA knew which bag was his, was able to take it without him noticing with no questions about where the lost bag is, and the ground crew took a bag with a handwritten baggage tag on it?

Right.

jetmatt777

Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:37 pm

This reminds me of the "true" stories you see on Quora.

snn2003

Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:38 pm

As Cabin Crew, I cannot imagine someone ever doing this. What if the passenger had Medicine or Medical Supplies in their bag? Also, what airline still uses had written bag tags? This post should be deleted.
On behalf of your entire Boston based crew, thanks for flying with us today.

727glasair
Topic Author

Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:43 pm

The story is true. The bag tag was not handwritten....it was a regular HNL tag. The FA was written up but not fired, due to her seniority and good record. I know her personally.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:03 pm

If that is a flight attendant's idea of revenge, then that person isn't very creative. True vengeance is much more subtle and clever - and much more likely to NOT get the f/a caught.

As someone who has taught high school for many years, we, like flight attendants, have seen it all. And if you want to impress us, come up with something original.

jetmatt777

Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:33 pm

727glasair wrote:
The story is true. The bag tag was not handwritten....it was a regular HNL tag. The FA was written up but not fired, due to her seniority and good record. I know her personally.

It sounds a little bit made up to me - but even if it were true I would think twice about airing your company's dirty laundry in public, especially on such a well-read platform as this. It's best to keep stories of willfully and purposefully screwing over a customer in the breakroom.

Moosefire

Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:11 am

727glasair wrote:

So you’re saying this FA was just carrying around a preprinted HNL luggage tag waiting for someone to use it on? Whole thing seems fake... maybe she was exaggerating when telling you the story
MD-11F/C-17A Pilot

chunhimlai

Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:26 am

snn2003 wrote:
As Cabin Crew, I cannot imagine someone ever doing this. What if the passenger had Medicine or Medical Supplies in their bag? Also, what airline still uses had written bag tags? This post should be deleted.

Most of the gate tag and rush tag still require hand-writing the flight number and destination

as737

Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:27 am

If this claim is true (which it seems very likely not, for various reasons mentioned above) this is a very disappointing story. Sending luggage more than 4000 miles away just because a passenger hurt your feelings? Good grief. And the passenger didn't notice the FA taking the baggage from the overhead directly or around his vicinity?

snn2003 wrote:

I agree. This FA could have potentially harmed the man. Taking away a passenger's valuables because they made some unfriendly remarks is rather petty.

PA815

Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:27 am

727glasair wrote:
With 33 years seniority, the resourceful FA found a way to get back at him. She knew where his carry-on bag was in the overhead, and got a baggage tag from the locker....and routed his bag through Honolulu !! (She just set it at the Jetway door & the groundcrew took it right away)

When the plane arrived the flight attendant left her jumpseat and went back the passenger’s row, opened the bin near his seat, took his bag out without him noticing (assuming he was in first class and seated near his bag since only first would have meal service into DCA), and set it on the jetway, only to have a ramper pick it up and take it downstairs?

Rampers bring up the gate delivery items to a jetway when the flight arrives, they wouldn’t take bags down. Plus a passenger in first class would be off the plane and on the jetway before ramp brought up gate delivery items.

So many holes in this story.

rrlopes

Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:44 am

Also adding that if true, the FA would also have cause additional costs to her own airline for uselessly (and freely) transporting a piece of luggage 4k miles and back, plus the costs of handling the baggage and the customer.

cedarjet

Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:52 am

Why is the FA carrying baggage tags. Who is picking up bags from the door of an arriving jet to put into the baggage handling system. Why does the passenger not notice their bag is missing. Just for starters.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Jomar777

Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:06 am

Taking the story as (potentially...) true, we would say, for example that the baggage was taken when left unattended (hardly but, maybe if the so called customer had a snooze or if he went to toillet).
But then, it would really baffle me how on earth did he not notice his bag was missing from the overhead bin when he deplaned? And the reuslting agro it would have caused there and then at point of leaving the plane. Just last week, I took a flight from LIS to GRU and, because the A339 that was supposed to go went tech somewhere during the day, we got a A332 instead (with the resulting change of seat layout) - a guy went ballistic just because his new business class seat did not have a window - even tough the option was to stay in LIS for who knows how long...
Also, considering that she managed to land his bag on the jet before allowing customers leaving the plane and had a word with a colleague to take it quickly (giving any kind of excuse or so...), this bag would have effectivelly "travelled" through quite a bit of DCA to reach the intended HNL meaning it owuld be retrieved before going away.
Add that the so called customer would have gone nuclear and posted everywhere about the Airline and FA meaing that other sources would be available even on A.net.
The bag in questoin would have been returned to him "accompanied" probably with all sort of compensations and legal fees.
This would mean that the FA would actually probably be dismissed on gross misconduct (so her 33 years seniority woluld not imply on any pay-off whatsoever).

Just saying - I do not think it is an entirely true story or with 100% of facts on an accurate way.

F27500

Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:01 pm

This story is estupido. The OP wanted to stir up some attention for himself, I'm thinkin.

SRQKEF

Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:12 pm

Along with all the other million reasons this story is obviously untrue (and not really funny enough to make it up...), DCA has no HNL service due to the curfew.
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

NameOmitted

Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:04 pm

I think the real issue is not if the story is true, but if it's boring. If we're going to get a "flight attendant risks her career over bring called a Denny's waitress" story, say the very least it should involve two beers and an escape slide.

SRQKEF

Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:27 pm

NameOmitted wrote:
I think the real issue is not if the story is true, but if it's boring. If we're going to get a "flight attendant risks her career over bring called a Denny's waitress" story, say the very least it should involve two beers and an escape slide.

:bigthumbsup:
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!