Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

stl07
Topic Author

LAX to Old Town San diego -amtrak bus or drive

Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:48 pm

Hi everyone,
I arrive at LAX at about 9: 30am on a weekday and have no checked bags (you can probably guess what flight I'm on considering my username). I want to arrive at SD at 2 pm. We have 3 of us. What would be the fastest and most convenient thing to do?

A) take the flyaway shuttle/uber to LAX Union station ($30) and Amtrak to SD ($100 for all three) or bus from union station ($15 for all 3).
B) one-way rental (that sounds expensive)
C) Option A accept to Disney station instead ($45 uber), same price for bus and train as LAX
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

ShanghaiNoon

Re: LAX to Old Town San diego -amtrak bus or drive

Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:56 pm

You can take the flyaway bus to LA Union Station and the take Flixbus. It goes directly to Old Town San Diego, and they have one that leaves around noon. https://shop.global.flixbus.com/search? ... eef91e5e57

Kno

Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:59 pm

SD is the type of city I would want to have a rental car in, are you not flying back out of LAX?

Otherwise you're definitely better off on the train than on a bus. The bus is less comfortable and traffic could be an issue.
Last edited by Kno on Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:59 pm

I haven’t ride it, but my niece uses the Coaster (from OC, admittedly) and recommends it. The train ride is beautiful, right on the.....coast.

stl07
Topic Author

Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:49 pm

Kno wrote:
SD is the type of city I would want to have a rental car in, are you not flying back out of LAX?

Otherwise you're definitely better off on the train than on a bus. The bus is less comfortable and traffic could be an issue.

I will be leaving from SAN, otherwise a car rental would have been a no brainer. I still may look into it though.

I use amtrak here in the midwest and it is great so it may be worth the upchage from the bus.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

stl07
Topic Author

Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:49 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
I haven’t ride it, but my niece uses the Coaster (from OC, admittedly) and recommends it. The train ride is beautiful, right on the.....coast.

I'll look into the Coaster, I forgot about that
Nope, won't work with my flight time. Good for future reference though

AAlaxfan

Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:58 am

Pacific Surfliner #572 departs Union Station at 10:54am. Arrives San Diego 1:52pm. If you miss that, you can get on the 12:33pm Surfliner, arrives 3:28pm. Don't know what the Flyaway schedule is, so you might want to Uber/Lyft to Union Station. That would be my suggestion.
Grumpy. Not a dwarf, not an attitude. It's a lifestyle.

hawaiian717

Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:55 pm

Amtrak from Anaheim would be cheaper than from Union Station, but the Uber would be more expensive. Flixbus might be the same price from Union Station and from Anaheim. I agree that the train would be nicer than the Flixbus (which also serves Anaheim), but Flixbus is often cheaper. One way car rental isn't always a terribly expensive option.

Coaster isn't really an option. It's San Diego county commuter rail, so it only goes as far north as Oceanside and doesn't serve Orange or Los Angeles counties. Metrolink is its counterpart that serves Los Angeles and Orange counties (among others), and it does go as far south as Oceanside. So you could take Metrolink from Union Station (or Anaheim) to Oceanside, and transfer there to Coaster. But the route is the same, and its slower since Metrolink and Coaster trains make more stops, so I feel like it's not worth the hassle to take them over Amtrak.

teachpdx

Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:10 am

+1 to Flixbus.
Up Next: THIS YEAR IS CANCELLED!!!

rhuns

Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:28 am

Booking sites show one-way car rental from 3-4 major companies in LAX, compact SUV to mid-size, drop off same day or next day in SAN, runs from $55-$75 including one-way drop-off charge. For three people, not a bad deal. And a delayed arrival in LAX or traffic getting to Union Station could make the 10:54 departure tight to impossible.

stl07
Topic Author

Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:55 am

rhuns wrote:
Booking sites show one-way car rental from 3-4 major companies in LAX, compact SUV to mid-size, drop off same day or next day in SAN, runs from $55-$75 including one-way drop-off charge. For three people, not a bad deal. And a delayed arrival in LAX or traffic getting to Union Station could make the 10:54 departure tight to impossible.

Come to think about it, 55-75, once you include gas and possible tolls although I think there are not any will be max 150, which is only 10-20 more than amtrak and the convenience would be worth it. That might be the way to go.

stl07
Topic Author

Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:55 am

teachpdx wrote:
+1 to Flixbus.

Do they usually leave on time?

IAHWorldflyer

Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:58 pm

Back many years ago, when I worked for a firm whose main office was in Orange County, the rental car firms considered all the Southern California airports part of the same region. I'd often fly into SNA for a meeting Thursday, and then spend the weekend in San Diego, dropping off the car at SAN on Sunday, and the rate was no different than dropping at SNA. It probably works the same way for LAX.

Cubsrule

Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:27 pm

stl07 wrote:
rhuns wrote:

Come to think about it, 55-75, once you include gas and possible tolls although I think there are not any will be max 150, which is only 10-20 more than amtrak and the convenience would be worth it. That might be the way to go.

What are you planning to do in San Diego? I've not found it to be a city where a car is necessary; most of the tourist stuff is relatively compact and if it's all downtown attractions and Balboa Park, Ubers/cabs are plentiful and easy. There's also good transit between Old Town and downtown.

The drive down the 5 isn't at all fun, and the last hour of the train ride is really scenic. I'd take the train every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Heck, I'd shell out and fly LAX-SAN before driving it.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

futuresdpdcop

Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:47 am

There is a new Tesla service where you can do a one way rental from LA down to SD (Mission Valley/Hotel Circle) Area. I think rates start at $49 and go up to $99

hawaiian717

Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:19 pm

futuresdpdcop wrote:
There is a new Tesla service where you can do a one way rental from LA down to SD (Mission Valley/Hotel Circle) Area. I think rates start at $49 and go up to $99

Tesloop? They’re not operating at the moment, again. Originally it was a shared ride with a driver, but now it’s a one way rental where you drove yourself. The LA drop off/pick up point is in Hawthorne, about 6 miles from LAX, and in San Diego it’s at Fashion Valley mall. So you still have to find a way between LAX and Hawthorne, and from people Fashion Valley to the final destination.