lightmac
Topic Author

If Eurowings was designed to compete with easyjet and Ryanair, why does it simply not do that?

Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:32 am

Eurowings was designed to keep Ryanair and easyjet in check and compete with them. However, it does not do that at all. From Berlin for example, easyjet flies to 38 international destinations all-year round including almost all European capitals, while Eurowings flies to these 3 great destinations: Zagreb, Palma and Salzburg. Why do they not even try to compete and fly to Rome, Paris, Amsterdam, Stockholm or ANYWHERE? They do not even fly to London anymore, connecting the capital or Europe's biggest country with the continent's financial center and world city.

PatrickZ80

Re: If Eurowings was designed to compete with easyjet and Ryanair, why does it simply not do that?

Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:55 pm

They don't have to compete on destinations.

Many low-cost passengers are indifferent on where they're going as long as it's cheap. So while EasyJet might offer a whole bunch of destinations and EuroWings a whole lot less, passengers are only interested in the cheapest. And EuroWings can often be the cheapest if the destination is irrelevant.

alan3

Re: If Eurowings was designed to compete with easyjet and Ryanair, why does it simply not do that?

Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:09 pm

Well now they seem to be going after Condor.....competing directly against them on new TATL routes FRA-ANC, FRA-PHX and FRA-YYC.

They also seem to be trying to figure out a way to absorb Brussels Airlines while realizing they wouldn't be a good branding for the Belgium to Africa routes. So somehow they will take over SN's short haul network and SN just does the Africa routes?

Not fully sure what their identity is either.

mchei

Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:41 pm

Eurowings and Identity - that really is a tough one. I always laugh to myself when the poor cabin crew hands out the old piece of bread to you after checking the passenger manifest. I also never understood the strategy for German routes: Frankfurt and Munich is LH, the rest is Eurowings. All these stories with lounge access - no lounge access, onboard service - no onboard service, status miles or no status miles - it was just so unnecessary.

I know that I’ll never understand their strategy.
F70-F100-E145-E170-E190-319-320-321-735–736-737-738-752-763–742-744-333-343-ATR72-Metroliner-Saab2000-Lockheed Electra-C172-C182-C182RG-MD11

masi1157

Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:11 pm

I don't care about their strategy. I don't care about lounge access and all those snobisms. I live close to HAM and I book the flight that suits me best, be it Ryanair, Easyjet. Wizzair, Norwegian, Eurowings or what so ever. Doesn't matter.

Gruß, masi1157
517 different segments on 101 airlines to 212 airports in 55 countries

Delta777Jet

Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:32 pm

Ryanair, Wizzair and easyJet are the only real low cost airlines in Europe.

Cheap flights from A to B.

Eurowings is basically Lufthansa prices for a less than Ryanair Service. And it's getting worse and worse and worse. Lufthansa is ruining their reputation with Eurowings.
I still miss Trans World Airlines and the L-1011

VSMUT

Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:07 pm

Delta777Jet wrote:
Ryanair, Wizzair and easyJet are the only real low cost airlines in Europe.

Cheap flights from A to B.

Eurowings is basically Lufthansa prices for a less than Ryanair Service. And it's getting worse and worse and worse. Lufthansa is ruining their reputation with Eurowings.

Vueling, Volotea, Blue Air, Norwegian, Smartwings and Pegasus aren't real low-cost airlines?