Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
john910
Topic Author
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:47 am

Trip to Munich for one day

Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:59 am

Hey guys... i am new here...i love aviation and i would like to do something crazy....book tickets from athens to munich and back with aegean just to travel with the new airbus a320neo and spot some cool planes at munich airport...if i do it i will fly at 8 am from athens and leave from munich at 6 pm....for your information i have travelled abroad just once with a321.....what are your thoughts and opinions for my crazy idea??
 
jghealey
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri May 11, 2018 5:46 pm

Re: Trip to Munich for one day

Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:26 am

What's wrong with that? If it's cheap, then why not...
 
john910
Topic Author
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:47 am

Re: Trip to Munich for one day

Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:28 am

it will cost me 150 euros...
 
User avatar
albertocsc
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:09 pm

Re: Trip to Munich for one day

Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:14 am

Sounds like a great idea!
Will you have time in Munich to see around? If so, just take the train, and visit at least the area around Marienplatz. Also enjoy a good German beer.
 
john910
Topic Author
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:47 am

Re: Trip to Munich for one day

Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:25 am

albertocsc wrote:
Sounds like a great idea!
Will you have time in Munich to see around? If so, just take the train, and visit at least the area around Marienplatz. Also enjoy a good German beer.


i will arrive in munich at 10 am and i will leave at 6 pm .. so i dont think i will have time to see around
 
User avatar
conaly
Posts: 465
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 10:50 pm

Re: Trip to Munich for one day

Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:32 am

Staying for 8 hours at the airport would be pretty boring, believe me. It takes 45-50min by train to the City center. You have plenty of time to go there, at least for a walk from the main railwaystation to Marienplatz and back.

If you want to go spotting in Munich, you also have to go by train one station to "Besucherpark". There is a hill, from where you have a good view on the northern runway and Terminal 1 (cost: 1€). For a better view of the southern runway and Terminal 2 you'd need to go by car or taxi to the visitor hill south of the airport. But beware: it's pretty windy on both hills, it can get pretty cold real quick.
Airports 2019 ADB, ALG, AMD, ATL, BOG, BOS, CDG, CTS, DEL, DTW, DUS, EWR, FRA, FUK, HAM, HFT, HIJ, HND, HVG, IST, ITM, JFK, MUC, NGO, NUE, OKA, PHL, SIN, STN, TOS, YYZ, ZRH
Airports 2020 ALG, AMS, CTS, FRA, GVA, HKG, HND, LYS, MSQ, MUC, NUE, SXF, TLV, ZRH
 
john910
Topic Author
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:47 am

Re: Trip to Munich for one day

Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:47 am

conaly wrote:
Staying for 8 hours at the airport would be pretty boring, believe me. It takes 45-50min by train to the City center. You have plenty of time to go there, at least for a walk from the main railwaystation to Marienplatz and back.

If you want to go spotting in Munich, you also have to go by train one station to "Besucherpark". There is a hill, from where you have a good view on the northern runway and Terminal 1 (cost: 1€). For a better view of the southern runway and Terminal 2 you'd need to go by car or taxi to the visitor hill south of the airport. But beware: it's pretty windy on both hills, it can get pretty cold real quick.


Thank you very much for your advice.. it will cost me a lot of money but i would like to do something crazy like this...i was thinking of just walking around the airport but i will google it for the plane spotting...thank you very much again!!
 
Armodeen
Posts: 1277
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:17 am

Re: Trip to Munich for one day

Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:27 am

Just go for it. I've done a few day trips with Ryanair when they have sales on (I was one of the lucky ones who grabbed the £0.02 round trip fares around 10 years ago when they were doing crazy promotions) and I've done an out and back return from LHR to DUS when I had an 8hr layover at LHR...I used BA Avios for last minute return. I literally went out and back on the same aircraft, crew thought I was slightly unhinged but moved me to an exit row on the return :P).
 
PI4EVR
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:29 pm

Re: Trip to Munich for one day

Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:35 pm

I'm all for the suggestion to take the train to the city. An easy ride to the main train station which is huge and a sight to see in its own right.
A ton of food options at the station for a nice lunch and a short walk on to see the Marienplatz and return for train back to airport.
That venture into the city will make your day trip even more memorable.
P.S. And for anyone traveling to MUC to overnight, I highly recommend the Munich Hilton hotel as it's located on a stop from the airport just prior to the main station and you simply walk upstairs through a direct stairwell to the hotel lobby. An easy walk on to the main train station for any onward train travel. Or to eat great "train food."
 
john910
Topic Author
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:47 am

Re: Trip to Munich for one day

Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:19 pm

Armodeen wrote:
Just go for it. I've done a few day trips with Ryanair when they have sales on (I was one of the lucky ones who grabbed the £0.02 round trip fares around 10 years ago when they were doing crazy promotions) and I've done an out and back return from LHR to DUS when I had an 8hr layover at LHR...I used BA Avios for last minute return. I literally went out and back on the same aircraft, crew thought I was slightly unhinged but moved me to an exit row on the return :P).


I would like to grab these sales very much...it will cost me about 200 euros so this is the reason I hesitate so much...thank you for your reply
 
john910
Topic Author
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:47 am

Re: Trip to Munich for one day

Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:36 pm

PI4EVR wrote:
I'm all for the suggestion to take the train to the city. An easy ride to the main train station which is huge and a sight to see in its own right.
A ton of food options at the station for a nice lunch and a short walk on to see the Marienplatz and return for train back to airport.
That venture into the city will make your day trip even more memorable.
P.S. And for anyone traveling to MUC to overnight, I highly recommend the Munich Hilton hotel as it's located on a stop from the airport just prior to the main station and you simply walk upstairs through a direct stairwell to the hotel lobby. An easy walk on to the main train station for any onward train travel. Or to eat great "train food."



Thank you for your reply..it will cost me about 200 euros...so what’s your opinion on that? Would you do that?
 
masi1157
Posts: 462
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:56 am

Re: Trip to Munich for one day

Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:42 pm

You will have more than enough opportunities to fly on A320/21neos in the coming years, it might even become boring. Choose a place you want to visit for a few days (München is not the worst idea). And if the flight happens to be an A320neo, fine. If not, it will be next time. But just for the flight? Don't you have better things to spend your time and money for?


Gruß, masi1157
517 different segments on 101 airlines to 212 airports in 55 countries
 
john910
Topic Author
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:47 am

Re: Trip to Munich for one day

Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:29 pm

masi1157 wrote:
You will have more than enough opportunities to fly on A320/21neos in the coming years, it might even become boring. Choose a place you want to visit for a few days (München is not the worst idea). And if the flight happens to be an A320neo, fine. If not, it will be next time. But just for the flight? Don't you have better things to spend your time and money for?


Gruß, masi1157


I am a student so I have plenty of time...unfortunately no..I would just like to do a crazy thing while I am studying,so I want to see if it’s worth it...
Thanks for the reply!!!
 
debonair
Posts: 4247
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:50 pm

Re: Trip to Munich for one day

Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:42 pm

Also high on the to do list, VOLOTEA B717 ex ATH before retirement...
 
john910
Topic Author
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:47 am

Re: Trip to Munich for one day

Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:33 pm

debonair wrote:
Also high on the to do list, VOLOTEA B717 ex ATH before retirement...


You think I should do the Munich in one day thing?
 
Armodeen
Posts: 1277
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:17 am

Re: Trip to Munich for one day

Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:52 pm

Why don’t you look at cheaper options? Play about with google flights etc and see what you come up with? Quick example that took me 2 mins to find

https://flights.app.goo.gl/8CH2H
 
Flanker7
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: Trip to Munich for one day

Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:25 pm

Just go for it you want to do crazy stuff do the crazy stuff. I've done the crazy things in my time, going to Singapore for 24 hours or Chicago just to have dinner with my sister, who cares. I look back at them with a smiling my face. Go and have fun, and post a trip report
Flying blue only if possible
 
john910
Topic Author
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:47 am

Re: Trip to Munich for one day

Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:58 pm

Thank you very much guys!!!
 
PI4EVR
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:29 pm

Re: Trip to Munich for one day

Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:39 pm

As I'm a bit older than you john910 my wise advice will be to spend the money on the trip or a trip, but maximize your money and time and treat yourself to discovering a new city even in a short period of time. The train ticket will cost about $25E roundtrip and some money spent for a sandwich and maybe a bier, or coffee and a pastry. You'll have memories for a lifetime beyond just visiting the airport or enjoying the plane ride.
I spent 32 years in the airline industry and have a fair share of "crazy" one day trips or a fly around for a day riding new planes.
Whatever money was spent was earned back, but my memories have lasted a lifetime!
Life is short. Take the day and have a great trip whatever you decide to do!
 
john910
Topic Author
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:47 am

Re: Trip to Munich for one day

Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:51 pm

PI4EVR wrote:
As I'm a bit older than you john910 my wise advice will be to spend the money on the trip or a trip, but maximize your money and time and treat yourself to discovering a new city even in a short period of time. The train ticket will cost about $25E roundtrip and some money spent for a sandwich and maybe a bier, or coffee and a pastry. You'll have memories for a lifetime beyond just visiting the airport or enjoying the plane ride.
I spent 32 years in the airline industry and have a fair share of "crazy" one day trips or a fly around for a day riding new planes.
Whatever money was spent was earned back, but my memories have lasted a lifetime!
Life is short. Take the day and have a great trip whatever you decide to do!



Thank you very much for your advice ... I will be just by myself so I will think about it!!!
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 4568
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Trip to Munich for one day

Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:42 pm

Does it have to be Munich, or can it be any destination?

As others have said, the city of Munich is quite far from the airport. You'd be wasting too much time there. And Aegean is not exactly the cheapest airline out there.

How about flying to a city one day and back the next day? You can stay in a hostel or a cheap hotel. That way you can significantly save on fares, so much that the total including the hotel comes out lower than you would pay on your current plans.

For example you could do Vienna instead of Munich. I've looked it up. You could fly Athens to Vienna on Saturday 18th of April on Lauda, departing Athens at 11:20 and arriving in Vienna at 12:45 for € 45,04. The next day (Sunday) Wizzair has a flight to Athens that leaves Vienna at 21:15, arriving in Athens at 22:40 for € 19,99. That's a total of € 65,03.

The bus (Vienna Airport Lines) between Vienna airport and Ostbahnhof costs € 13 return. Near Ostbahnhof you find Wombats Hostel Vienna the Lounge where you can stay for € 29 a night. That would make a total of € 107,03 and you get to spend more time in Vienna than you would in Munich. I've stayed in the hostel I've mentioned, it's really good. They got a nice bar where you can have a drink with the other hostel guests and you even get a voucher for the first drink for free.
 
FriscoHeavy
Posts: 1841
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 4:31 pm

Re: Trip to Munich for one day

Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:01 pm

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but while I love the idea (and have done similar things myself), if you can't afford it (meaning $200 is a stretch for you), then the answer is no, don't do it.

If blowing a couple hundred bucks is no big deal and you'll never miss it, then yes, it's a great idea. By questioning if it's 'worth it', I get the impression that funds may be too tight to take on this adventure right now. If so, work a little save up a few hundred Euros and do it another time.
Whatever
 
john910
Topic Author
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:47 am

Re: Trip to Munich for one day

Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:13 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Does it have to be Munich, or can it be any destination?

As others have said, the city of Munich is quite far from the airport. You'd be wasting too much time there. And Aegean is not exactly the cheapest airline out there.

How about flying to a city one day and back the next day? You can stay in a hostel or a cheap hotel. That way you can significantly save on fares, so much that the total including the hotel comes out lower than you would pay on your current plans.

For example you could do Vienna instead of Munich. I've looked it up. You could fly Athens to Vienna on Saturday 18th of April on Lauda, departing Athens at 11:20 and arriving in Vienna at 12:45 for € 45,04. The next day (Sunday) Wizzair has a flight to Athens that leaves Vienna at 21:15, arriving in Athens at 22:40 for € 19,99. That's a total of € 65,03.

The bus (Vienna Airport Lines) between Vienna airport and Ostbahnhof costs € 13 return. Near Ostbahnhof you find Wombats Hostel Vienna the Lounge where you can stay for € 29 a night. That would make a total of € 107,03 and you get to spend more time in Vienna than you would in Munich. I've stayed in the hostel I've mentioned, it's really good. They got a nice bar where you can have a drink with the other hostel guests and you even get a voucher for the first drink for free.


thanks for the reply...i know there is a plenty of sales out there but i would like to travel to munich because i want to travel with the new a320 neos .... dont look for logic.lol
 
User avatar
AirKevin
Posts: 770
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:18 am

Re: Trip to Munich for one day

Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:34 pm

I don't see the A320NEO being retired anytime soon, so you'll have plenty of time to fly on one. Hell, out of four flights I have booked on my next trip, one of them is on an A320NEO, and I wasn't even trying. If you were talking about something like the 747-400, that would be a different story altogether.
Captain Kevin
 
aeromoe
Posts: 1717
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:34 am

Re: Trip to Munich for one day

Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:58 pm

john910 wrote:
Hey guys... i am new here...i love aviation and i would like to do something crazy....book tickets from athens to munich and back with aegean just to travel with the new airbus a320neo and spot some cool planes at munich airport...if i do it i will fly at 8 am from athens and leave from munich at 6 pm....for your information i have travelled abroad just once with a321.....what are your thoughts and opinions for my crazy idea??


Not crazy at all. You've come to the right place to talk about airline flying. I'm fortunate in that I have done a LOT of crazy trips just for the heck of it over the past few years. I'm not an airline employee so I have to pay for all my trips, too. Around the world routing over a long weekend: PHX-JFK-FRA-SIN-SFO-PHX. After I booked it I invited a coworker friend along just for the experience. B6 / SQ / SQ / SQ / AA. At least he left SIN airport for the brief bus tour of Singapore and got his passport stamped. I've been through SIN 6 or so times with nary a passport stamp.

Keep up your whimsical travels...and who cares what others think!
Since 60s: AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(85) BY B6 CO CZ(16) DG DL EA EI EN FI FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(87) OZ(88) PA PI PN(97) PT QF QQ RM RO RV(99) RV(16) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(13) ZZ 9K
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 4568
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Trip to Munich for one day

Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:50 pm

aeromoe wrote:
john910 wrote:
Hey guys... i am new here...i love aviation and i would like to do something crazy....book tickets from athens to munich and back with aegean just to travel with the new airbus a320neo and spot some cool planes at munich airport...if i do it i will fly at 8 am from athens and leave from munich at 6 pm....for your information i have travelled abroad just once with a321.....what are your thoughts and opinions for my crazy idea??


Not crazy at all. You've come to the right place to talk about airline flying. I'm fortunate in that I have done a LOT of crazy trips just for the heck of it over the past few years. I'm not an airline employee so I have to pay for all my trips, too. Around the world routing over a long weekend: PHX-JFK-FRA-SIN-SFO-PHX. After I booked it I invited a coworker friend along just for the experience. B6 / SQ / SQ / SQ / AA. At least he left SIN airport for the brief bus tour of Singapore and got his passport stamped. I've been through SIN 6 or so times with nary a passport stamp.

Keep up your whimsical travels...and who cares what others think!


As long as you got the money for it I agree with you.

However keep in mind John910 is a student and students are usually tight on money. Of course I can't look in anybody else's wallet, but if it's just for logging the A321NEO I agree with others who say there'll be plenty of opportunities. And Aegean is by far not the only airline that flies this aircraft.

A while ago I did a tour through Europe. Eindhoven - Vienna - Milan Malpensa - Bari - Budapest - Eindhoven. Out of those 5 flights, 2 just happened to be on an A321NEO. I wasn't trying to get one, I just looked for a bunch of cheap flights (out of those 5 flights, 4 were on Wizzair and 1 on EasyJet). In fact, initially I didn't even notice I had booked myself on a NEO but it was a nice surprise.

Right now the NEO is stil rather rare, but that will chance within a few years. There'll be times when you're like "oh no, not yet another A321NEO, I've flown that plane so often already". It'll be really common, just like the CEO nowadays. Is that worth the money just to fly it? Of course everyone should decide that for themselves, but I wouldn't do it. I would if it were cheaper, but € 150 just for the flight is way too expensive.
 
IPFreely
Posts: 2653
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:26 am

Re: Trip to Munich for one day

Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:23 pm

I agree with the posters who say use the time to go into Munich. Munich airport is clean and very efficient and a great place to connect. But it’s nothing special as far as spotting, eight hours in the terminal would get very boring. You can take the train to the Marienplatz, make a short walk to the Hofbrauhaus, and have some sausage, a pretzel, and six or eight beers before going back to the airport. It will make the trip much more interesting than sitting at the airport all day.
 
john910
Topic Author
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:47 am

Re: Trip to Munich for one day

Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:31 pm

Thank you all guys!!! I am leaving tomorrow !!! Thank you very much for your replies

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: afcjets, ytib and 24 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos