Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

gmt
Topic Author

Rude cabin crew. What would you do?

Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:35 pm

Since there was no space left I waited in the corner galley of the plane, never a issue since I fly a lot. Suddenly a female FA told me that this is restricted area, so I moved back to the path with the effect that the other crew can not walk with their food trolley. I told them that I cannot move since the galley is ''restricted area'' according to the FA who told me to move.

How would you reply to these dumb cabin crew who miss any logical thinking?

Aptivaboy

Re: Rude cabin crew. What would you do?

Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:40 pm

Good morning,

More info, please. Why were you standing where you were? Waiting for a lav to open? Just curious. Also, domestic or international? Sometimes people may appear rude but its cultural. I can tell you that my non-American born grandmother's affect and accent made her sound loud and rude when in fact she was actually very happy and loving - just the way a non-native English speaker sounded to native English speakers.

Thanks,

Robert

gmt
Topic Author

Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:46 pm

I was waiting for a lavatory to open. It was on a Wizz Air A320. Since I had a window seat somewhere else and all seats were occupied it would be not logic to wait in the front path. Because I don't want to be a obstruction for the cabin crew I decided to wait in a corner.

Quite a no brainer since there was simply no other space to wait.

So yeah, I decided to move and wait in front of the lav door causing delay for them to sell food since the trolley cannot move. They told me to move.. but than getting irritated that they cannot move their trolley.
Last edited by gmt on Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Leej

Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:51 pm

Assume you were waiting for the lav? Well, not much you can do really - it is their workspace afterall. I'd keep staring them out for a while, get their name, then when you are home write a strong, but polite letter/email to customer services. Maybe you'll get some points/miles as an acknowledgement. The more airlines squeeze every last ounce of floor space, the more trivial issues such as this become apparent and inflamed.

PatrickZ80

Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:55 pm

A clear case of miscommunication between the cabin crew, who were probably inexperienced.

Of course under normal circumstances the galley is a restricted area and you're not supposed to be there. However if you're blocking the aisle, it's logical that you make place for them. The proper procedure would however be to wait in the aisle until they were moving the trolley into the path. Then they would find you in the way and it's up to them to come up with a solution.

Sure that solution wouldn't be to have you return to your seat. Most likely they'd let you pass as they were passing the lavatory, where the aisle is a little wider than at the rest of the plane.

YULACYYZ

Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:09 pm

The issue is that you fly a lot and you think that FA are dumb! That's my logical reply to you!

KliptWings

Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:15 pm

YULACYYZ wrote:
The issue is that you fly a lot and you think that FA are dumb! That's my logical reply to you!

With you there....... You can hear the Ops sense of self importance in the post.

KliptWings

Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:16 pm

I wonder how 'dumb' the OP would think the crew were if he ever had the misfortune of seeing them doing their real job.

FriscoHeavy

Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:57 pm

gmt wrote:
I was waiting for a lavatory to open. It was on a Wizz Air A320. Since I had a window seat somewhere else and all seats were occupied it would be not logic to wait in the front path. Because I don't want to be a obstruction for the cabin crew I decided to wait in a corner.

Quite a no brainer since there was simply no other space to wait.

So yeah, I decided to move and wait in front of the lav door causing delay for them to sell food since the trolley cannot move. They told me to move.. but than getting irritated that they cannot move their trolley.

Where is there a path on an airplane? Do you mean the aisle? More specifically, do you mean standing in the galley up near the cockpit?
Whatever

NASBWI

Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:07 pm

As PatrickZ80 mentioned, communication is key here. I get that we all have human needs, and it would be unfortunate to deny someone theirs. However, as important as communication is between both parties (working crew and passenger), it’s also prudent to use situational awareness - not just onboard the plane but in all things.

In the OP’s case, he needed to use the restroom. But of course! Don’t we all? ;). The thing is, he needed to use it at the very moment the galley was in a flurry of activity. Not just any galley: most likely a “spaceflex” A320/321 galley, which, as most can attest, is already a nightmare for space when it’s just the crewmembers occupying it.

Personally, if I’m working a flight and trying to set up the carts for service, I’d politely ask the customer to either return to their seat *just until* the galley area is clear, or play “musical chairs” of sorts so that they don’t lose their place in line for the restroom. I realize that some FA’s may disagree with my position, and maybe I have a bit more patience than some.

But from the customer’s perspective: before going to the restroom (provided it’s not an emergency), it would demonstrate common sense (and good faith) to have a glance at what’s going on before heading to the WC. Check the lavatory light to see if it’s red or green, perhaps wait until the cart has passed you, or if carts are in the aisle, politely ask the FA if they would mind moving backwards or forwards to allow you to pass. Most times, we’re more than accommodating (again, human functions: we get it lol).

To the OP, I’m sorry if they seemed surly. Understandably, it can get frustrating to work in such a small space only to have it further reduced by someone who seems oblivious. But see my paragraph above and perhaps the outcome will be more positive for you in future. Cheers!
Fierce, Fabulous, and Flawless ;)

gmt
Topic Author

Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:54 pm

Sorry for any misunderstanding. I mean aisle and galley + toilet in the very back of the plane. I don't think FA's are dumb, just some since they have this policy that the galley is restricted area. By staying in the corner I prevented to be a obstruction and let them doing their job.

Next time i'll keep waiting in front of the toilet and let them wait. Ok?

But overall, the service (they didn't say hi, or greet of after the flight) was quite poor. Unlike Ryanair there is no option to report... with Wizz you can only call their expensive call center.

AeroLogical

Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:39 pm

gmt wrote:
But overall, the service (they didn't say hi, or greet of after the flight) was quite poor. Unlike Ryanair there is no option to report... with Wizz you can only call their expensive call center.

Yeah, I don't think you're going to get much leverage with Wizz. I have reported rude flight attendants on VS (it stood out as VS have almost had really lovely FAs) and gotten some miles out of it. But Wizz and the like aren't exactly known for their customer service. You'd only have less luck on, say, Smartwings.

spinotter

Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:03 pm

KliptWings wrote:
YULACYYZ wrote:

With you there....... You can hear the Ops sense of self importance in the post.

A very small incident: the OP should have accommodated the crew request immediately and forgotten it one second later.
Too fragile an ego here.

edina

Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:52 pm

Wizzair = Spaceflex galley = no space at all........you can't even get 2 FAs in there!
Worked on - Caravelle Mercure A300 A320 F27 SD3-60 BAe146 747-100/200/400 DC10-30 767 777 737-400 757 A319 A321

CATIIIevery5yrs

Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:14 am

A passenger on my most recent flight was very rude. How can I reply to these passengers who miss any logical thinking? Goes both ways, buddy.

spacecadet

Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:37 am

spinotter wrote:
A very small incident: the OP should have accommodated the crew request immediately and forgotten it one second later.
Too fragile an ego here.

I agree; this is basically a non-event. Also, you're really not supposed to be getting up to use the lav while a service is in progress - some airlines actually announce this, but I guess others might not. But, live and learn. Use the bathroom before boarding and then don't use it again until the service is done. I get that we all have our human emergencies from time to time, but, well, you just have to deal with the fallout from those when it happens. Stuff like being told to move by a flight attendant.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

N14AZ

Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:51 am

Leej wrote:
The more airlines squeeze every last ounce of floor space, the more trivial issues such as this become apparent and inflamed.

This pretty much sums it up.

NASBWI wrote:
But from the customer’s perspective: before going to the restroom (provided it’s not an emergency), it would demonstrate common sense (and good faith) to have a glance at what’s going on before heading to the WC. Check the lavatory light to see if it’s red or green, [...].

Hmm; I always do this. But when flying in C it doesn’t help much. Let’s assume you sit in the first economy class row behind the curtain of the business class and you check the lavatory light. By the time you have reached the lavatory at the end of the aircraft someone else will have stood up and will have occupied the lavatory.

Kno

Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:41 pm

Anybody else question the self awareness of someone who would make a thread like this?

Sorry to be a jerk but come on.

spinotter

Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:33 pm

Kno wrote:
Anybody else question the self awareness of someone who would make a thread like this?

You're not being a jerk, but what I think it shows is this: how differently human beings react to a given event, especially as in this case where there is an issue of perceived disrespect involved.

IPFreely

Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:34 pm

Kno wrote:

Just read some of the OP’s other posts!