gmt
Topic Author

Not allowed to film or take photos in flight

Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:16 am

Lot of airliners like KLM have a formal policy that it is not allowed to film or take pictures in-flight. However I still see a lot of amateur vloggers (not Sam Chui) on YouTube doing, even with the cabin crew. I'm just wondering, because it causes a situation where sometimes they allow, and other time kick you off the flight only depending on the person you are.

ZaphodHarkonnen

Re: Not allowed to film or take photos in flight

Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:18 am

I can't say I've ever heard of such a policy. If many airlines have one I expect it's sparsely enforced at best.

airportugal310

Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:20 am

gmt wrote:
Lot of airliners like KLM have a formal policy that it is not allowed to film or take pictures in-flight. However I still see a lot of amateur vloggers (not Sam Chui) on YouTube doing, even with the cabin crew. I'm just wondering, because it causes a situation where sometimes they allow, and other time kick you off the flight only depending on the person you are.

Seems to me that if such a policy exists, it harks back to a time before every phone was a camera. It is next to impossible to police such a thing today...
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

MIflyer12

Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:29 am

gmt wrote:
Lot of airliners like KLM have a formal policy that it is not allowed to film or take pictures in-flight.

How many carriers can you cite that have such a policy?

iamlucky13

Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:32 am

There have been past threads about in-flight photography.

I don't have time to search them up currently, but I think the gist of it was to comply with lawful flight crew instructions and avoid capturing anyone in an identifiable manner unless you have their permission.

Also, prior to 2017, all electronic device use was prohibited in the US during takeoff and landing. Now the requirement is only to have them in airplane mode.

Is the KLM policy different from this? Can you provide a link?

shamrock350

Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:33 am

Aer Lingus, as an example, has a note in its inflight magazine stating that passengers are welcome to take photos or video of themselves and guests travelling in their party during the flight but taking photos of crew, airline procedures and other passengers without their consent is strictly prohibited.

I think that's a fair policy. I don't think I'd ever be comfortable asking cabin crew for a photo, just like I wouldn't expect anyone to ask me for one while I was at work.

Once on a Ryanair flight the person in front of me took photos of the wing during sunrise, a member of the crew mistakenly thought he'd taken photos of her and an argument broke out, he showed her all the photos he'd taken on board were of the sunrise but instead of apologising for her mistake she demanded he delete all the Ryanair related photos from both his camera roll and the recently deleted album, claiming it was the rules. What's worse is that she watched over his shoulder until she was satisfied and threatened anyone who questioned her with police on arrival. It made for a very uncomfortable atmosphere for the remainder of the flight.

bretonrlong

Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:36 am

Agree - I wonder how they would enforce this if you refused to delete those photo's? I think I would most likely be caught off guard with someone asking me to delete photo's that I would refuse until police were involved.

speedbird52

Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:40 am

gmt wrote:

Sam Chui gets away with a lot that normal passengers can't. Would not be surprised to see him on airlines payroll to be honest.

gmt
Topic Author

Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:46 am

bretonrlong wrote:
Agree - I wonder how they would enforce this if you refused to delete those photo's? I think I would most likely be caught off guard with someone asking me to delete photo's that I would refuse until police were involved.
I think you lose your connection and perhaps will be blacklisted for future flights.

But the policy now is quite hypocrite. Check you this guy as example, he got lucky but they can ask to delete all the footage.

https://youtu.be/DbN-c8FD4hc?t=652

VirginFlyer

Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:50 am

I flew on Lufthansa a few days ago, and part of the announcement was to not take photographs which infringe on the rights of other people. Obviously quite a loose rule, but I think it makes sense - it basically allows photography, but if you take a photo of someone sleeping you’re probably going to get a quick talking to.

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

argentinevol98

Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:55 am

iamlucky13 wrote:
There have been past threads about in-flight photography.

I don't have time to search them up currently, but I think the gist of it was to comply with lawful flight crew instructions and avoid capturing anyone in an identifiable manner unless you have their permission.

Also, prior to 2017, all electronic device use was prohibited in the US during takeoff and landing. Now the requirement is only to have them in airplane mode.

Is the KLM policy different from this? Can you provide a link?

I can't say for KLM but I've learned living in Bolivia the last several months that pre-2017 US style rules are still in effect. The policing is somewhat erratic on that front-sometimes pax are literally texting throughout the flight (including take-off and landing) and other times I've even been asked to shut down my phone despite it being on airplane mode and the plane in cruise! Seemingly arbitrary enforcement or lack thereof of the rules though is something prevalent through all aspects of doing just about anything in the country though. It depends on who you're dealing with and on what day. Point is, photography is often indirectly not permitted, at least on take-off and landing, in Bolivia via that mechanism.
"He sospechado alguna vez que la única cosa sin misterio es la felicidad, porque se justifica por sí sola"-Jorge Luis Borges

stl07

Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:05 am

speedbird52 wrote:
gmt wrote:

Sam Chui gets away with a lot that normal passengers can't. Would not be surprised to see him on airlines payroll to be honest.

He is on QR's payroll from what I've heard. Don't quote me though
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

wn676

Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:19 am

Leaving FCO a few years ago (2017 IIRC), I had an AA purser summon the captain to come talk to me when they saw me taking pictures with my phone through the window. They cited a non-existent policy supposedly banning all photography of their aircraft, and their reasoning was “because of 9/11.” I was a nonrev in J so for obvious reasons I just smiled and nodded.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

spacecadet

Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:22 am

speedbird52 wrote:

I mean, he obviously has permission for what he does, and the airline is expecting him every time. I don't think that's any big secret. He's not doing ambush-style reviews.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

ShamrockBoi330

Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:27 am

China Southern, was first on plane flying business Guangzhou to Melbourne in 2017, took the opportunity to take a photo of an empty cabin, cabin crew rushed down to me to tell me not to, it was against policy. BUT they could take a photo of me in my seat if I wanted.

3 other flights, same trip (YYZ - CAN - MEL return), anytime I was seen with my phone, I was asked to power off, airplane mode was not sufficient.

Needless to say I just learned to be more discrete that trip and continued.

346fetish

Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:57 am

I also noticed it's not allowed to take photos whilst walking on the ramp to board an aircraft in Australia & NZ. Anyone know why?

Took photos twice on VA and TR, ramp agents lost it.
"BA have got waterfalls in their head office. The only time we have waterfalls in the Ryanair office is when the toilet leaks."

dredgy

Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:05 am

346fetish wrote:
I also noticed it's not allowed to take photos whilst walking on the ramp to board an aircraft in Australia & NZ. Anyone know why?

That depends on how suspicious you look and I assume where you are, but people worldwide don't like you taking photos once you're on the tarmac. I've always assumed it was a carry over from the whole "no mobile phones while refuelling" thing, but it doesn't hold up in the modern world.

It's also relaxed alot in recent years (decades?) - I've taken photos on the apron at most airports in Australia - BNE, SYD, MEL, ROK, PHE, OOL, CNS...the list goes on...and maybe been told to put the phone away once or twice.

In Comoros, at HAH I took out my phone, like 10 people swarmed me and started yelling, and when I was halfway up the stairs of the plane I pulled the phone out again and everybody on the ground started yelling very hard. Was quite amusing.

seat55a

Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:12 am

346fetish wrote:

Here is one official answer:
Air NZ wrote:
If you're walking across the tarmac, your devices may remain powered on but must not be used. It's a potentially hazardous area and we need your full attention.

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/electronic-equipment

Q

Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:22 am

The camera is fine or GoPro not iPhone camera. I guess. I never use the iPhone camera. I use regular digital camera.

Q

VSMUT

Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:32 am

A bit of a coincidence, but I was browsing the KLM magazine yesterday and actually stumbled on the photography and filming policy. You can find it towards the end, on the pages with information about the airline, connections and such.

It clearly states that only filming and photographing other people is forbidden.

alan3

Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:43 am

I think the main rule is not to film the crew (unless they give permission). Filming the seat amenities, IFE, the meal and out the window seems fine.

There are lots of good reviewers out there now on Youtube and most of the good ones make a point to not film the cabin crew as much as possible.

But it still seems as if airlines are still finding their way as it can vary from crew to crew. An Air Canada F/A once gave Josh Cahill hell for filming, but then after he described the experience on his channel they were so apologetic they upgraded him on his next AC flight and were extra nice. I watched another review yesterday by Thejazzguy13 and when the BA crew noticed him filming for his channel they gave him a personal tour of the plane.

The OP mentions people getting "kicked off the flight" for it. I'm not sure I've heard of that happening to that extreme? I think they realize a way to balance the bad press from overreacting and freaking out especially from a high profile reviewer could be worse for them.
Last edited by alan3 on Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:55 am, edited 5 times in total.

cirrusdragoon

Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:44 am

You will find this rule stated as prohibited conduct , in many airline Travel Tariffs . example Air Canada’s :

https://www.aircanada.com/content/dam/a ... pdf#page87
Page 90
h) While onboard the aircraft, the person is filming, photographing, or recording the image by any other electronic means of other passengers and/or crew without the express consent of the person(s) being filmed, photographed or recorded, or continues to film, photograph or record the image of other passengers and/or crew after being advised to cease such conduct by a member of the crew;

Private companies carrying private passengers are subject to additional policies and procedures. Some airline agreements contain “Photography Policies.” For example, American Airlines’ policy, states:

“Use of still and video cameras, film or digital, is permitted only for recording personal events. Photography or video recording of airline personnel, equipment, or procedures is strictly prohibited.”

In simpler terms, you purchase a ticket from an airline. That ticket is a contract. That contract contains certain terms and conditions that you, the purchaser, can accept or reject. If you accept, in exchange for your cash you are allowed to travel with this particular company subject to the stated terms. Any violation of the terms allows the contract to be voided. That means, they can prevent you from flying.

Applying the policy to your travel, consider the purpose of your recording and the subject of your recording.

One hypothetical scenario could be: you taking a selfie with a Singapore Airlines lobster breakfast. That’s probably okay, since this is a personal event, and although some airline equipment is contained in the photograph (your seat, IFE, tray, etc.), the purpose of the recording is personal. Take your picture. Another situation might be your amazing first-class seat on Emirates complete with ornate gold everything, full bottles of Champagne and empty bottles of said Champagne. Still okay, personal experience all the way.

A different scenario, and the kind the airline is concerned about, might be you recording an argument with a counter agent or flight attendant for the purpose of filing a dispute or legal claim. Although personal to some, this interaction is likely to fall under the “do not record per the conditions” section of your agreement. Should you continue to record, the airline agent would be within the agreed-upon bounds to deny you the benefit of travel. Even though this display might be public, you have still agreed to the terms of your particular contract and should not be shocked when those terms are enforced. An onlooker recording the same interaction would be subject to the terms only if he or she was a passenger of that particular airline.

While it may seem unfair, the airlines can and do enforce these terms. It should not come as a surprise when a public relations fiasco puts the airlines on alert to protect themselves, their employees and their passengers.

When it comes to recording airline agents, first consider the terms of the contract you have entered, and whether you want to give up your seat for potentially breaching those terms. If the answer is yes, then consider your location. Are you in the United States? If the answer is yes, are you in a public place, viewing a public event, from a public viewpoint? And, finally, does the state or city allow you to record publicly without restriction? If these answers are all yes, you can record. If they are not, then you cannot, put your phone away.

If you feel you have been treated unfairly, as always, contact an attorney to discuss your individual circumstances and rights.

Bottom Line: No, you cannot record if you agreed to not record. If you did not enter such an agreement, and you are in public, viewing the public, you can record.

While the government can’t restrict your ability to record in public, the contract you sign can.

Beanbag

Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:55 am

When I flew SAV-BOS-EWR last year on Jetblue, i had my lil pocket camera with me, i kept it aimed at the window and not toward the interior of the plane and had no issues.

hz747300

Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:59 am

I flew KLM last October and no issue. I don't film the crew, I just take some random cabin photos and mostly out the window. I don't think they'll care about that. I actually haven't had an issue full stop in about five years.
Keep on truckin'...

irelayer

Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:19 am

Only time I ever got yelled at was when I was taking a picture of an empty 747 cabin (during boarding) and the flight attendant was standing there (I didn't really see her) and she told me it is company policy (UA) to not take pictures of employees.

I've always wondered about Chui and his "luck" in getting cooperative crews. He must be quite the charmer...

Blerg

Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:26 am

I don't see what's wrong with taking pictures of the crew. They are wearing the uniform, they are part of the business brand, it's not like you are taking a picture of random people in the park without them knowing. I suppose for many crew harassing passengers for no reason gives them a sense of importance.

Personally I've taken many pictures on many airlines and I did not have a problem. The last time someone told me something was back in like 2004. I also noticed that this 'no pictures' policy mostly applies to certain northern European countries. Never had such an issue in the east or the south. Heck, from what I see online, eastern European crew (with the exception of Russia) are extremely photogenic and love taking their pictures, even with passengers. Look at airlines like Wizz Air, Turkish Airlines, Air Serbia, Aegean... just to name a few.

zeke

Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:31 am

VirginFlyer wrote:
I flew on Lufthansa a few days ago, and part of the announcement was to not take photographs which infringe on the rights of other people. Obviously quite a loose rule, but I think it makes sense - it basically allows photography, but if you take a photo of someone sleeping you’re probably going to get a quick talking to.

V/F

I think that is totally sensible, an aircraft is not public property, you are only allowed on an aircraft if you have entered into a contract with the airline. That contract has standards every passenger has agreed to. There are also legal ramifications in different jurisdictions on taking photos of minors, persons protected by courts, air marshals, crew etc. To be totally selfish and not take into account other people rights I don't think is fair on anyone.

That was actually one of my first reactions to the recent thread on the passenger supposedly "punching" the back of the seat infront, with the passenger infront filming and posting it on the internet. I dont think the passenger behind would have consented to being filmed, and by filming and posting it, the passenger has potentially exposed themselves to legal damages and being banned from flying. The person filming is the one that recorded evidence of wrongdoing.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

InnsbruckFlyer

Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:45 am

I flew Transavia twice last month, and during both flights' purser announcement, they stated tat "filming of taking photos of the crew or passengers without their permission is strictly forbidden for privacy reasons." Fair enough, imo.

Last flown aircraft: A320 D-AIUR < A320 D-AIZM < B738 PH-HZJ < B737 PH-XRD < B772 N766AN < B738 N855NN < B788 N45905 < A319 N808UA < A320 N482UA < B752 N19117 < B772 N794AN < A320 D-AIPS < A319 OE-LDD < A320 D-AIQA

Georgetown

Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:50 am

cirrusdragoon wrote:
If you feel you have been treated unfairly, as always, contact an attorney to discuss your individual circumstances and rights.

Contacting an attorney would be the absolutely, extreme last resort piece of advice I would give anyone. I would advise to calmly report the incident through the appropriate channels at the airline and give them a chance to respond. If their response is unsatisfactory, I would escalate, again, with the airline. If that still doesn’t render what one believes to be a satisfactory response I would have a good look in the mirror and ask if I was truly harmed enough that it is worth the time, expense, and potential frustration of taking a litigious approach. Once attorneys are involved, you will be dealing with the legal side of the airline, and not the customer service side - a whole different can of worms. So unless there was true harm, be it material, monetary, or extreme cases of emotional distress, contacting an attorney is probably the absolute last recourse one would want to explore.
Let's go Hoyas!

Dazed767

Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:16 am

gmt wrote:

Stop putting Sam on a pedestal, he's a hobbyist just like everyone else.

AA has their no photography/film policy in the American Way magazine, although it's probably not enforced like it used to be after 9/11.

Trololzilla

Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:41 am

Dazed767 wrote:
AA has their no photography/film policy in the American Way magazine, although it's probably not enforced like it used to be after 9/11.

Probably also depends a lot on the individual crew member, and perhaps on the subsidiary as well. For example, The Elevator Channel was asked twice during an AA Eagle flight to stop filming in this fairly recent trip video (once at around 27:30 and the other at around 29:50).

bennett123

Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:11 am

I do often take a couple of quick apron shots of my plane, but it is not ideal.

Firstly, there are lots of other passengers about.

Secondly, watch out for vehicles.

Once you are in your window seat, click away.

Eikie

Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:18 am

hz747300 wrote:
I flew KLM last October and no issue. I don't film the crew, I just take some random cabin photos and mostly out the window. I don't think they'll care about that. I actually haven't had an issue full stop in about five years.

They don't care as long as you leave other people out of the shot, as that is the official policy

Noshow

Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:48 am

It's okay to respect crew and fellow passengers. Especially in Asia cabin crew are very sensitive to be photographed. It's okay to respect technical requirements so not to interfere with aircraft operations in any way. It's okay to not take pictures of "secret" stuff outside or on the ground. Aside from that I, the paying passenger, reserve the right to take pictures whenever I want.

cirrusdragoon

Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:31 am

Noshow wrote:
It's okay to respect crew and fellow passengers. Especially in Asia cabin crew are very sensitive to be photographed. It's okay to respect technical requirements so not to interfere with aircraft operations in any way. It's okay to not take pictures of "secret" stuff outside or on the ground. Aside from that I, the paying passenger, reserve the right to take pictures whenever I want.

No you do not reserve the right to take pictures whenever you want onboard. every air carrier has a condition of carriage tariff and contract that you and the carrier enter to when buying a ticket. depending on that carrier, if a condition of carriage states that it is prohibited conduct to photograph onboard then you must abide by that. and each carriers tariff will be different , do not just assume friend :)

Flanker7

Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:11 am

Blerg wrote:
I don't see what's wrong with taking pictures of the crew. They are wearing the uniform, they are part of the business brand, it's not like you are taking a picture of random people in the park without them knowing. I suppose for many crew harassing passengers for no reason gives them a sense of importance.

Personally I've taken many pictures on many airlines and I did not have a problem. The last time someone told me something was back in like 2004. I also noticed that this 'no pictures' policy mostly applies to certain northern European countries. Never had such an issue in the east or the south. Heck, from what I see online, eastern European crew (with the exception of Russia) are extremely photogenic and love taking their pictures, even with passengers. Look at airlines like Wizz Air, Turkish Airlines, Air Serbia, Aegean... just to name a few.

Crews have a private life to, that they are part of a brand does not justify having there faces plastered across social media,If they don't want to. Have you considered looking at it the other way round, passengers harassing crew and making strange and weird proposals. So ask permission and if the don't want to respect that.
Flying blue only if possible

Blerg

Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:30 am

Flanker7 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Crews have a private life to, that they are part of a brand does not justify having there faces plastered across social media,If they don't want to. Have you considered looking at it the other way round, passengers harassing crew and making strange and weird proposals. So ask permission and if the don't want to respect that.

I am sorry but the crew are there because they willingly applied to work in that position, no one forced them to. It's one of those professions that attracts people to take photos. If they don't like it or if they mind it then maybe that career is not for them? Like I said, crew across southern and eastern Europe don't mind and you can see that from numerous social media platforms. Anyway, why shouldn't passengers take pictures of crew who are messy or who are not doing their employer any justice by the way they look. From what I noticed, no one takes pictures of ugly or unpleasant looking crew out there.

max999

Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:44 am

speedbird52 wrote:
gmt wrote:

I've stopped watching his videos. But when I was watching them, I observed that he never disclosed any sort of sponsorship or advertising in his videos.

I understand that it's YouTube policy that any sort of payments, even payments in kind, must be disclosed in the video. I think he's violating YouTube policy by not disclosing his sponsors and his videos should be flagged for the violation.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

CarbonFibre

Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:09 am

I was on a Tarom A310 once and one of the crew had a go at me for taking shots out of the window...

Also asked about visiting a Meridiana MD-80 cockpit after landing a few years ago but was told no because of "September 11th"

asdf

Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:10 am

shamrock350 wrote:
Once on a Ryanair flight the person in front of me took photos of the wing during sunrise....

no wonder, on Ryanair taking a photo onboard is € 1,- including tax on ground and € 2,- including tax in flight each ....
;-)

zeke

Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:11 am

Blerg wrote:
I am sorry but the crew are there because they willingly applied to work in that position, no one forced them to.

They are "forced" to, they are rostered for flights, that is their workplace, it is not a public area. Obtain permission from the crew first.

I know of a case where a passenger took what they thought was a innocent photo of a ME3 crew member in flight, that made social media and the crew member was fired because they were wearing comfortable shoes instead of the uniform shoes.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

flyjay123

Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:19 am

bretonrlong wrote:

This nearly identical situation happened to me, on Emirates, departing MEL for DXB. I took a general video of my groupb as I have done many times previously on EK. Inevitably in a confined space, there are crew in the background. A very paranoid crew member literally flew over to me and quietly let rip! Threatening to have me arrested in Dubai if I didn't delete. I was genuinely shaken!

The purser was informed and sincerly appologised. As well as regularly checking in on me throughout the flight, she saw me again on the ground waiting for my luggage and again apologised and assured me ' the crew member was wrong in the way she dealt with it, and I would not have been arrested but there can sometimes be 'copyright' issues!

Flanker7

Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:35 am

Blerg wrote:
Flanker7 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

I am sorry but the crew are there because they willingly applied to work in that position, no one forced them to. It's one of those professions that attracts people to take photos. If they don't like it or if they mind it then maybe that career is not for them? Like I said, crew across southern and eastern Europe don't mind and you can see that from numerous social media platforms. Anyway, why shouldn't passengers take pictures of crew who are messy or who are not doing their employer any justice by the way they look. From what I noticed, no one takes pictures of ugly or unpleasant looking crew out there.

Because you willingly apply doesn't mean every can just take their photo and post randomly. I crew is messy take it up with the purser and and write to the company. Saying it's part of there work and if they don't like it shows a very narrow minded view. Like I said, if you ask first and explain why you find they will coorporate. This from a person who's wife is crew for over 20 years and does not want her face all over social media.
Flying blue only if possible

Blerg

Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:07 am

Flanker7 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Flanker7 wrote:

Because you willingly apply doesn't mean every can just take their photo and post randomly. I crew is messy take it up with the purser and and write to the company. Saying it's part of there work and if they don't like it shows a very narrow minded view. Like I said, if you ask first and explain why you find they will coorporate. This from a person who's wife is crew for over 20 years and does not want her face all over social media.

Like I said, it's a profession where taking pictures is present quite a bit. They should make peace with that and not behave rudely like many do today - you have the Ryanair example in this thread. For many crew out there threatening passengers with police for very small things is just a way to vent and that's also not ok.

Blerg

Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:09 am

zeke wrote:
Blerg wrote:
I am sorry but the crew are there because they willingly applied to work in that position, no one forced them to.

They are "forced" to, they are rostered for flights, that is their workplace, it is not a public area. Obtain permission from the crew first.

I know of a case where a passenger took what they thought was a innocent photo of a ME3 crew member in flight, that made social media and the crew member was fired because they were wearing comfortable shoes instead of the uniform shoes.

Aha so now the passenger is at fault because the crew didn't follow the employers guidelines? Who cares if the person was fired, they broke the rules and that's about it. Also they are not forced to do anything, rostered or not, they willingly applied for a job knowing what to expect. The crew is part of the airline people fly on, they are part of a brand, there is very little room for individualism or personal opinions so you are right, it's not a public area and without those same passengers that airline would be out of business. If they want to take pictures let them.

zeke

Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:15 am

flyjay123 wrote:

This nearly identical situation happened to me, on Emirates, departing MEL for DXB. I took a general video of my groupb as I have done many times previously on EK. Inevitably in a confined space, there are crew in the background. A very paranoid crew member literally flew over to me and quietly let rip! Threatening to have me arrested in Dubai if I didn't delete. I was genuinely shaken!

The purser was informed and sincerly appologised. As well as regularly checking in on me throughout the flight, she saw me again on the ground waiting for my luggage and again apologised and assured me ' the crew member was wrong in the way she dealt with it, and I would not have been arrested but there can sometimes be 'copyright' issues!

The crew member was correct, the purser is wrong. You could have been in a world of hurt after landing in DXB. You can also be arrested on arrival for photos you have taken previously and posted online.

You could have been punished by at least six months imprisonment and a fine of up to Dh500,000.

DO NOT take photos of women or children in the Middle East without their permission.

The relevant laws are

Article 378 of the UAE Penal Code (Federal Law 3 of 1987), illegal to take photos without consent
Article 21 of the UAE Cyber Crime Law (Federal Law No. 5 of 2012), transmitting the photos illegal
Article 43 of the UAE Copyright Law (Federal Law No. 7 of 2002), sharing photos is illegal

In short, always ask first. Being ignorant of the law is not a defence.

B777LRF

Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:29 am

The level of misplaced entitlement on this thread is staggering. I would like to make a few things clear:

You do not have the "right" to anything apart from a seat in the class of cabin for which you are holding a ticket.

That's it, nothing more or less. Anything above and beyond that is solely up to the carrier with which you've entered a contract.

If you wish to take pictures onboard an aircraft, suggest you seek permission from the airline before setting off. You have no right to take pictures of the crew unless they specifically give you permission. Their job is maintaining your safety; being visual decoration for your blog is not part of the job description. And they certainly aren't supposed to allow you to document their "sloppy" appearance, so that you may shame them on social media or rat on them to their employer. They're human beings FFS, and they have the same right not be blasted all over the internet as anyone else.

If you can't abide by those rules, simple as they are, just refrain from flying onboard commercial services. Better still, power off that damn electronic comforter and stick it in your pocket for the duration of your flight.
Signature. You just read one.

planecane

Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:34 am

Speaking specifically about the USA, I don't think there would be any criminal legal issue of taking photos of anybody on the aircraft as long as they aren't used for commercial purposes. Now, posting on facebook or other social media could be construed as such due to the advertising. If you just take them for personal viewing there is no legal issue. As long as they aren't hidden camera in the bathroom or trying to photograph up a woman's skirt which would violate privacy.

However, an airline is free to make a policy and have it be part of the contract of carriage if they wanted to that prohibits photos and/or video. They can't have you arrested but they could refuse service to you or kick you off the flight for non-compliance if they made it a policy for some reason.

lesfalls

Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:15 pm

Many times I haven't experienced this problem with crew. Only a few times on FR, SU and AA. On AA the FA was quite rude to me about it but after over an hour of discussion with her on aviation she backed down and realized how passionate I was. Many times I bet airlines miscredit crews for the way they handle passengers taking pictures of things they shouldn't, but that is then upper managements fault rather then crews themselves. They just get irritated as they don't know what people could be taking pictures of throughout the flight (which could be hours and hours long where they have lost control of what the passenger takes pictures of). I think that if you end up talking with crew about their life or get to know them they will be more nice to you and even give a blind eye to the photography rule when your taking pictures.
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen mehr.

dtw2hyd

Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:25 pm

Dazed767 wrote:
Stop putting Sam on a pedestal, he's a hobbyist just like everyone else.

Well, next time ask for flight deck pic/vids or try to serve food on El Al. Bracelets would be on the menu.

He makes it look like a regular passenger vlogging, and does a decent job.