Flanker7
Posts: 450
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: Not allowed to film or take photos in flight

Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:06 am

Noshow wrote:
What a hysteric topic this has become and how unfriendly some people seem to be?
This very site is world famous for aviation pictures and people making and enjoying good aviation pictures should be treated with respect as well.

They should, respect goes both ways. I'm all for enthusiasts taking photos and wanting to know more whilst onboard. Just don't as entitlement just because you bought ticket. And like a said earlier most crews will be more then happy to help and accommodate if you ask. That's all.
Flying blue only if possible
 
ACDC8
Posts: 7854
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:56 pm

Re: Not allowed to film or take photos in flight

Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:32 am

Pretty sure that the "I'm entitled to watch my stupid iPad on a plane so close yer shade" vs. "I'm entitled to look out the window so I'm leavin' it up" bickering is officially worse than any Airbus vs Boeing topic :rotfl:
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut
 
gloom
Posts: 396
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:24 pm

Re: Not allowed to film or take photos in flight

Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:27 am

Heinkel wrote:
Posting on Facebook ot Whatsapp or YouTube is clearly publishing. Even if it is not commercial.

So the legal problem is not taking the pictures but publishing them.


Actually posting on FB or any other social media is usually the problem, and ALWAYS commercial. Any of the content can be taken, reworked, published or used commercially by owner. See the conditions you accept when registering.

I think that's why everyone is so afraid. If you are a person who is on the someone else's photo, and the photo gets published on FB, you can find yourself advertising anything in a few months time.

Cheers,
Adam
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 14777
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: Not allowed to film or take photos in flight

Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:19 am

Heinkel wrote:
So the legal problem is not taking the pictures but publishing them.


It very much depends on where in the world you are. Some religions it is forbidden to draw or take photos of living things as it is their belief that it is imitating their supreme being. They are also very strict on other things like everyone needing permission of the male of the house to get educated, travel etc. Taking photos can be seen as being promiscuous, akin to immodestly.

Females bringing shame on a family maybe punished in horrific ways including acid burns to the face and stoning.

Not asking for the correct permission is leaving yourself wide open to potential legal issues. It takes little effort to ask, at worst answer will be no, the best a yes. Not the end of the world either way.

I know of passengers being arrested at joint civil/military airports for spying because they took photos of aircraft around the airport.

Some airports I fly into it is also forbidden to have the external cameras on, I have to turn it off from the IFE. It’s not not place to argue the rules, that is their requirements.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
AVFCdownunder
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:12 am

Re: Not allowed to film or take photos in flight

Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:37 am

I think a common sense approach is not likely to cause any problems. I've taken pictures of the apron and ground from my seat, without concealing it nor particularly making a big fuss about it to draw attention. The filming of other passengers or crew doing their job is discourteous and I'd understand any airline that objected to this.
 
VTCIE
Posts: 410
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:10 am

Re: Not allowed to film or take photos in flight

Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:55 am

I’ll share a recent story of mine. The Monday before last, 24 February, I had an IndiGo flight from SIN. I greeted the FAs on boarding and talked to them courteously during the meal service. On deplaning, one of the FAs—I’ll call her T—was so delighted to see me (even though she had not served me during the flight) that she agreed to take a photo with me and another FA. She even waved to me on exiting immigration at MAA. Needless to say, it made my day, and I posted T’s picture on 6E’s Twitter handle (with her consent) praising their service; it was duly replied to by the airline which was happy to deliver great service.

Just today I had a return flight, also on 6E, and I wrote a note to the FAs commending them for their service. While they all happily agreed to sign on the note, I did not push for photographs as they had to operate the return leg back to India within the hour.

My conclusion is that if you luck out with an over-enthusiastic FA, like T, who called me a ‘darling’ repeatedly, you will get Sam Chui–like treatment. If not, which is generally going to be the case, it is best to let FAs go their own way; but even though you probably should not photograph them, do thank them for their work and service.
 
xijiayu
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:40 pm

Re: Not allowed to film or take photos in flight

Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:55 pm

My worst experience was many years ago, when I was at GLA terminal building, taking a picture of a United B757-200 parking at the gate. A gate agent noticed this and quickly went to me and said that I was not allowed to take a picture of the United aircraft. I was like "WTF! can't even take a picture of an aircraft from terminal building?"
 
travelsonic
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:59 am

Re: Not allowed to film or take photos in flight

Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:38 pm

travelsonic wrote:
gloom wrote:
Heinkel wrote:
Posting on Facebook ot Whatsapp or YouTube is clearly publishing. Even if it is not commercial.

So the legal problem is not taking the pictures but publishing them.


Actually posting on FB or any other social media is usually the problem, and ALWAYS commercial.


I'd imagine that whether a posting is commercial, or commercially motivated has to have at least some very specific definitions (well, depending on country to some degree) that can arguably be independent of publishing in of itself. Otherwise, the rabbit hole one could dig would go into some pretty odd places (IMO at least)
Last edited by travelsonic on Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 
travelsonic
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:59 am

Re: Not allowed to film or take photos in flight

Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:38 pm

EDIT: Double-post, sorry folks!
 
WayexTDI
Posts: 1564
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Re: Not allowed to film or take photos in flight

Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:22 pm

AirbusOnly wrote:
I never experienced such rules - and honestly I wouldn’t accept them neither!! Usually we are traveling in business class and paying a lot of money for the flights. No crew in the world can forbid me to take pictures from the plane outside or inside-no matter if it is on the ground or in the air! That's why I booked the window seat! And of course pictures of the cabin are included. I never had problems with Emirates, Swiss, Lufthansa, Cathay or Singapore Airlines! Why should I? It is my right and my decision and I own the pictures for purely personal use. I don't need anybody's permission for that!
So don't let any temporary crews or the poorly trained Ryan Air girls forbid you anything!

Yeah... There is usually something said in the announcement that you have to comply with crew instructions; so, if the crew tells you to stop taking photos, you better comply or you will have a little chat with the local police upon arrival...

I agree it could be overreaching from the crew to prevent anyone from taking photos; if they ask you to stop, you can always try to discuss with them and make your point. But, in the end, you still have to comply with their instruction.
 
irelayer
Posts: 1126
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:34 pm

Re: Not allowed to film or take photos in flight

Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:17 pm

shamrock137 wrote:
irelayer wrote:
I've always wondered about Chui and his "luck" in getting cooperative crews. He must be quite the charmer...


No luck about it, airlines have departments that handle VIP reservations and can flag reservations based on the info you enter while booking. Look at someone like Casey Neistat, those upgrades on Etihad aren't by coincidence. Sam has about 2 mil subscribers, with many of his videos having more then a million views each. Its essentially free advertising for the airlines. Airlines will also run special events for top tier frequent fliers. United will invite 1K and Global Services members for events like ramp tours, delivery flights and other special behind the scenes access.


This makes a lot of sense now that you put it that way. But there was a time when he did not have 2 million subs and get 1 million views per video...so how does one get started?
 
irelayer
Posts: 1126
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:34 pm

Re: Not allowed to film or take photos in flight

Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:19 pm

VTCIE wrote:
My conclusion is that if you luck out with an over-enthusiastic FA, like T, who called me a ‘darling’ repeatedly, you will get Sam Chui–like treatment. If not, which is generally going to be the case, it is best to let FAs go their own way; but even though you probably should not photograph them, do thank them for their work and service.


I think they key to getting Sam Chui-like treatment seems to be always portraying the airline and staff in a positive light...
 
Dazed767
Posts: 5000
Joined: Tue May 18, 1999 11:55 am

Re: Not allowed to film or take photos in flight

Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:12 am

irelayer wrote:
shamrock137 wrote:
irelayer wrote:
I've always wondered about Chui and his "luck" in getting cooperative crews. He must be quite the charmer...


No luck about it, airlines have departments that handle VIP reservations and can flag reservations based on the info you enter while booking. Look at someone like Casey Neistat, those upgrades on Etihad aren't by coincidence. Sam has about 2 mil subscribers, with many of his videos having more then a million views each. Its essentially free advertising for the airlines. Airlines will also run special events for top tier frequent fliers. United will invite 1K and Global Services members for events like ramp tours, delivery flights and other special behind the scenes access.


This makes a lot of sense now that you put it that way. But there was a time when he did not have 2 million subs and get 1 million views per video...so how does one get started?


:lol: :lol: Listen, you can have anything when money is no object. With that said, there are plenty of sites where you can buy subscribers. In reality we'd all travel the world in Sam Chui style if we had the means, I'm not knocking the hustle.
 
User avatar
Flying Belgian
Posts: 1955
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2001 12:45 am

Re: Not allowed to film or take photos in flight

Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:13 am

I remember EY was known to be one of the most strict carrier when it comes to photography enforcement rules.

Even the most popular vloggers on YT used to have many troubles when they filmed or photographed on-board EY flights.

I assume it all softened now, as I see increasing numbers of flight reports of EY on the Internet.
Life is great at 41.000 feet...
 
User avatar
hongkongflyer
Posts: 778
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:23 am

Re: Not allowed to film or take photos in flight

Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:55 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
AirbusOnly wrote:
I never experienced such rules - and honestly I wouldn’t accept them neither!! Usually we are traveling in business class and paying a lot of money for the flights. No crew in the world can forbid me to take pictures from the plane outside or inside-no matter if it is on the ground or in the air! That's why I booked the window seat! And of course pictures of the cabin are included. I never had problems with Emirates, Swiss, Lufthansa, Cathay or Singapore Airlines! Why should I? It is my right and my decision and I own the pictures for purely personal use. I don't need anybody's permission for that!
So don't let any temporary crews or the poorly trained Ryan Air girls forbid you anything!

Yeah... There is usually something said in the announcement that you have to comply with crew instructions; so, if the crew tells you to stop taking photos, you better comply or you will have a little chat with the local police upon arrival...

I agree it could be overreaching from the crew to prevent anyone from taking photos; if they ask you to stop, you can always try to discuss with them and make your point. But, in the end, you still have to comply with their instruction.


I will comply just because I have no choice, but I will sure file a complain regarding that specific FA to the airline and ask for the official explanation when I am sure I haven’t violated any rules.
 
User avatar
airportugal310
Posts: 3561
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:49 pm

Re: Not allowed to film or take photos in flight

Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:21 pm

hongkongflyer wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
AirbusOnly wrote:
I never experienced such rules - and honestly I wouldn’t accept them neither!! Usually we are traveling in business class and paying a lot of money for the flights. No crew in the world can forbid me to take pictures from the plane outside or inside-no matter if it is on the ground or in the air! That's why I booked the window seat! And of course pictures of the cabin are included. I never had problems with Emirates, Swiss, Lufthansa, Cathay or Singapore Airlines! Why should I? It is my right and my decision and I own the pictures for purely personal use. I don't need anybody's permission for that!
So don't let any temporary crews or the poorly trained Ryan Air girls forbid you anything!

Yeah... There is usually something said in the announcement that you have to comply with crew instructions; so, if the crew tells you to stop taking photos, you better comply or you will have a little chat with the local police upon arrival...

I agree it could be overreaching from the crew to prevent anyone from taking photos; if they ask you to stop, you can always try to discuss with them and make your point. But, in the end, you still have to comply with their instruction.


I will comply just because I have no choice, but I will sure file a complain regarding that specific FA to the airline and ask for the official explanation when I am sure I haven’t violated any rules.


lol "official explanation".... :hissyfit:
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”
 
Breathe
Posts: 604
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:06 pm

Re: Not allowed to film or take photos in flight

Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:17 pm

zeke wrote:
flyjay123 wrote:

This nearly identical situation happened to me, on Emirates, departing MEL for DXB. I took a general video of my groupb as I have done many times previously on EK. Inevitably in a confined space, there are crew in the background. A very paranoid crew member literally flew over to me and quietly let rip! Threatening to have me arrested in Dubai if I didn't delete. I was genuinely shaken!

The purser was informed and sincerly appologised. As well as regularly checking in on me throughout the flight, she saw me again on the ground waiting for my luggage and again apologised and assured me ' the crew member was wrong in the way she dealt with it, and I would not have been arrested but there can sometimes be 'copyright' issues!


The crew member was correct, the purser is wrong. You could have been in a world of hurt after landing in DXB. You can also be arrested on arrival for photos you have taken previously and posted online.

You could have been punished by at least six months imprisonment and a fine of up to Dh500,000.

DO NOT take photos of women or children in the Middle East without their permission.

The relevant laws are

Article 378 of the UAE Penal Code (Federal Law 3 of 1987), illegal to take photos without consent
Article 21 of the UAE Cyber Crime Law (Federal Law No. 5 of 2012), transmitting the photos illegal
Article 43 of the UAE Copyright Law (Federal Law No. 7 of 2002), sharing photos is illegal

In short, always ask first. Being ignorant of the law is not a defence.

If the plane was on the ground in MEL, then UAE law wouldn't apply would it?
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 14777
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: Not allowed to film or take photos in flight

Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:01 pm

Breathe wrote:
If the plane was on the ground in MEL, then UAE law wouldn't apply would it?


Your on UAE private property going to UAE, taking photos of a UAE resident, working for one of the largest employers. You have agreed in the terms and conditions when you purchased your ticket that the governing law is UAE.

When your in goal in the UAE feel free to argue the point.

As I posted earlier, you can be arrested on arrival at a later date for photos you have taken and posted online.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
User avatar
hongkongflyer
Posts: 778
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:23 am

Re: Not allowed to film or take photos in flight

Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:17 am

Breathe wrote:
zeke wrote:
flyjay123 wrote:

This nearly identical situation happened to me, on Emirates, departing MEL for DXB. I took a general video of my groupb as I have done many times previously on EK. Inevitably in a confined space, there are crew in the background. A very paranoid crew member literally flew over to me and quietly let rip! Threatening to have me arrested in Dubai if I didn't delete. I was genuinely shaken!

The purser was informed and sincerly appologised. As well as regularly checking in on me throughout the flight, she saw me again on the ground waiting for my luggage and again apologised and assured me ' the crew member was wrong in the way she dealt with it, and I would not have been arrested but there can sometimes be 'copyright' issues!


The crew member was correct, the purser is wrong. You could have been in a world of hurt after landing in DXB. You can also be arrested on arrival for photos you have taken previously and posted online.

You could have been punished by at least six months imprisonment and a fine of up to Dh500,000.

DO NOT take photos of women or children in the Middle East without their permission.

The relevant laws are

Article 378 of the UAE Penal Code (Federal Law 3 of 1987), illegal to take photos without consent
Article 21 of the UAE Cyber Crime Law (Federal Law No. 5 of 2012), transmitting the photos illegal
Article 43 of the UAE Copyright Law (Federal Law No. 7 of 2002), sharing photos is illegal

In short, always ask first. Being ignorant of the law is not a defence.

If the plane was on the ground in MEL, then UAE law wouldn't apply would it?


UAE laws applied wherever the plane is
 
User avatar
hongkongflyer
Posts: 778
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:23 am

Re: Not allowed to film or take photos in flight

Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:21 am

airportugal310 wrote:
hongkongflyer wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
Yeah... There is usually something said in the announcement that you have to comply with crew instructions; so, if the crew tells you to stop taking photos, you better comply or you will have a little chat with the local police upon arrival...

I agree it could be overreaching from the crew to prevent anyone from taking photos; if they ask you to stop, you can always try to discuss with them and make your point. But, in the end, you still have to comply with their instruction.


I will comply just because I have no choice, but I will sure file a complain regarding that specific FA to the airline and ask for the official explanation when I am sure I haven’t violated any rules.


lol "official explanation".... :hissyfit:


why not? (offical explanation means some formal letter/ communication from the airline)
The FA must have made reference to certain "company policies" to prohibit me taking photos on board,
so the airline should be able to quote the relevant terms to prove that their employee did nothing wrong.
If you made my day bad without any basis, I will make your day bad too.

Remember the recent KLM incident regarding the "reserved toilet"?
It turned out the FA had came up with the "company policies" by him/herself and lead to a huge PR trouble for KLM in Korea.
 
VTCIE
Posts: 410
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:10 am

Re: Not allowed to film or take photos in flight

Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:55 am

irelayer wrote:
VTCIE wrote:
My conclusion is that if you luck out with an over-enthusiastic FA, like T, who called me a ‘darling’ repeatedly, you will get Sam Chui–like treatment. If not, which is generally going to be the case, it is best to let FAs go their own way; but even though you probably should not photograph them, do thank them for their work and service.

I think they key to getting Sam Chui-like treatment seems to be always portraying the airline and staff in a positive light...

Sam Chui’s modus operandi is more about flattery, buttering up the crew and complimenting their looks more than anything else. Today I watched his video of the SU A350 delivery from TLS. The video is replete with pearls such as ‘people are here for the girls, the plane has been forgotten’ and ‘these beautiful Aeroflot models’. His stance towards the female sex is clear to me.

This is exactly what I would never do. What I did was praised T and her crew for their service and wished them a pleasant flight—nothing more. Being male I have to be all the more observant and careful that I do not cross the line with the cabin crew. Pretty and pleasant as she may be, I do not think of one as a ‘girl’, but as an employee doing her job and ensuring our safety and comfort.

While T went above and beyond with me, most cabin crew would certainly not agree to getting photographed or getting personal. Since T herself asked for a picture, it was too good an offer to refuse. However, with any other flight attendants, I will go only as far as a gift, a smile and a thank-you note.
 
cpd
Posts: 6192
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:46 am

Re: Not allowed to film or take photos in flight

Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:30 am

dredgy wrote:
flyjay123 wrote:
bretonrlong wrote:
Agree - I wonder how they would enforce this if you refused to delete those photo's? I think I would most likely be caught off guard with someone asking me to delete photo's that I would refuse until police were involved.


This nearly identical situation happened to me, on Emirates, departing MEL for DXB. I took a general video of my groupb as I have done many times previously on EK. Inevitably in a confined space, there are crew in the background. A very paranoid crew member literally flew over to me and quietly let rip! Threatening to have me arrested in Dubai if I didn't delete. I was genuinely shaken!

The purser was informed and sincerly appologised. As well as regularly checking in on me throughout the flight, she saw me again on the ground waiting for my luggage and again apologised and assured me ' the crew member was wrong in the way she dealt with it, and I would not have been arrested but there can sometimes be 'copyright' issues!


It’s a fairly big deal in Dubai, and Emirates crew are generally no tolerance about it. I was taking a selfie in the A380 bar with a bottle of Dom, and the attendant thought I was pointing the camera at her and she was very quick to make sure I wasn’t taking her picture. Of course I then caught her colleague siphoning off booze into a water bottle and I got invited to the crew party where she was much less strict!


Funny thing is that in the numerous times I’ve been at the bar, the staff were only too happy to take photos for people, or even be in the photos with the travelling people.

One asked if I wanted to be photographed at the bar. I politely declined. I don’t do all that selfie kind of stuff.
 
ChrisKen
Posts: 944
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:15 pm

Re: Not allowed to film or take photos in flight

Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:45 am

WayexTDI wrote:
AirbusOnly wrote:
I never experienced such rules - and honestly I wouldn’t accept them neither!! Usually we are traveling in business class and paying a lot of money for the flights. No crew in the world can forbid me to take pictures from the plane outside or inside-no matter if it is on the ground or in the air! That's why I booked the window seat! And of course pictures of the cabin are included. I never had problems with Emirates, Swiss, Lufthansa, Cathay or Singapore Airlines! Why should I? It is my right and my decision and I own the pictures for purely personal use. I don't need anybody's permission for that!
So don't let any temporary crews or the poorly trained Ryan Air girls forbid you anything!

Yeah... There is usually something said in the announcement that you have to comply with crew instructions; so, if the crew tells you to stop taking photos, you better comply or you will have a little chat with the local police upon arrival...

I agree it could be overreaching from the crew to prevent anyone from taking photos; if they ask you to stop, you can always try to discuss with them and make your point. But, in the end, you still have to comply with their instruction.

Not quite, in practice you must comply with any lawful instruction. A subtle but very significant difference.
 
NLDru
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:18 am

Re: Not allowed to film or take photos in flight

Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:04 pm

I think Sam contacts the press department of the airlines days in advance. Most airline crews where Sam is filming seem well prepared for his arrival.

Other vloggers such as Josh or those German guys from Yourtravel and many other vloggers asked KLM to board 30 minutes earlier and to film. Most KLM crew members seem to find this no problem and even like to appear in front of the camera.
 
WayexTDI
Posts: 1564
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Re: Not allowed to film or take photos in flight

Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:04 am

ChrisKen wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
AirbusOnly wrote:
I never experienced such rules - and honestly I wouldn’t accept them neither!! Usually we are traveling in business class and paying a lot of money for the flights. No crew in the world can forbid me to take pictures from the plane outside or inside-no matter if it is on the ground or in the air! That's why I booked the window seat! And of course pictures of the cabin are included. I never had problems with Emirates, Swiss, Lufthansa, Cathay or Singapore Airlines! Why should I? It is my right and my decision and I own the pictures for purely personal use. I don't need anybody's permission for that!
So don't let any temporary crews or the poorly trained Ryan Air girls forbid you anything!

Yeah... There is usually something said in the announcement that you have to comply with crew instructions; so, if the crew tells you to stop taking photos, you better comply or you will have a little chat with the local police upon arrival...

I agree it could be overreaching from the crew to prevent anyone from taking photos; if they ask you to stop, you can always try to discuss with them and make your point. But, in the end, you still have to comply with their instruction.

Not quite, in practice you must comply with any lawful instruction. A subtle but very significant difference.

OK, you're splitting hair here.
"Please stop filming or taking photos" is a lawful instruction; "please kill your fellow passengers" is obviously not and would most likely lead the FA to be restrained on the spot by his/her fellow FAs.
 
ChrisKen
Posts: 944
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:15 pm

Re: Not allowed to film or take photos in flight

Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:17 am

"Please stop filming or taking photos" is a request unless there is a law (local or otherwise), regulation, or a condition laid out in your contract with the airline forbidding it.
A FA cannot just demand you stop taking photographs, cease filming or anything else of their own volition, it must be a lawful instruction.
 
Breathe
Posts: 604
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:06 pm

Re: Not allowed to film or take photos in flight

Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:10 pm

zeke wrote:
Breathe wrote:
If the plane was on the ground in MEL, then UAE law wouldn't apply would it?


Your on UAE private property going to UAE, taking photos of a UAE resident, working for one of the largest employers. You have agreed in the terms and conditions when you purchased your ticket that the governing law is UAE.

When your in goal in the UAE feel free to argue the point.

As I posted earlier, you can be arrested on arrival at a later date for photos you have taken and posted online.

Argue the point? I was simply asking a question.

This article seems to contradict what you've written:

https://www.traveller.com.au/everyone-a ... aft-h0fin3
 
Breathe
Posts: 604
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:06 pm

Re: Not allowed to film or take photos in flight

Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:11 pm

hongkongflyer wrote:
Breathe wrote:
zeke wrote:

The crew member was correct, the purser is wrong. You could have been in a world of hurt after landing in DXB. You can also be arrested on arrival for photos you have taken previously and posted online.

You could have been punished by at least six months imprisonment and a fine of up to Dh500,000.

DO NOT take photos of women or children in the Middle East without their permission.

The relevant laws are

Article 378 of the UAE Penal Code (Federal Law 3 of 1987), illegal to take photos without consent
Article 21 of the UAE Cyber Crime Law (Federal Law No. 5 of 2012), transmitting the photos illegal
Article 43 of the UAE Copyright Law (Federal Law No. 7 of 2002), sharing photos is illegal

In short, always ask first. Being ignorant of the law is not a defence.

If the plane was on the ground in MEL, then UAE law wouldn't apply would it?


UAE laws applied wherever the plane is

This article appears to contradict what you have written:

https://www.traveller.com.au/everyone-a ... aft-h0fin3
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 14777
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: Not allowed to film or take photos in flight

Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:08 am

Breathe wrote:
This article appears to contradict what you have written:

https://www.traveller.com.au/everyone-a ... aft-h0fin3


The article does not contradict what I said previously, please refer to paragraph 11.1.1, 11.1.7 and 18.2 of the “EMIRATES CONDITIONS OF CARRIAGE FOR PASSENGERS AND BAGGAGE”

ARTICLE 11 — CONDUCT ABOARD AIRCRAFT
11.1 General
At all times during your carriage, you have a duty to behave in a manner which is not likely to:
11.1.1 contravene the laws of any state which has jurisdiction over the aircraft;
11.1.2 endanger, or threaten (whether by hoax threats or otherwise) the aircraft or any person or property;
11.1.3 injure or prejudice the health of other persons aboard the aircraft or create the risk or threat of injury or damage to health;
11.1.4 cause distress to, or be complained of as materially objectionable to, other persons aboard the aircraft, such conduct includes, for example, harassment, molestation, sexual assault or abuse;
11.1.5 cause, or be likely to cause, loss of or damage to our property or that of other persons aboard the aircraft;
11.1.6 obstruct, hinder or interfere with the crew in the performance of their duties;
11.1.7 contravene any instruction or direction of the crew or the airline (whether oral or by notice) lawfully issued for the purpose of the safety or security of the aircraft and of persons or property and/or the comfort or convenience of Passengers, including, instructions concerning safety, security, seating, seat belts, smoking, consumption of alcohol or use of drugs, use of electronic equipment including, but not limited to, cellular telephones, laptop computers, PDAs, portable recorders, portable radios, CD, DVD and MP3 players, electronic games or transmitting devices (for example, radio controlled toys and walkie talkies). See also Article 18 concerning decisions we make about the application of Article 11.1 to you.

18.2 Where we expressly state in these Conditions of Carriage that you must comply with applicable law or applicable governmental, ICAO or IATA requirements, you must make sure that you comply with such applicable law or requirements at all times and especially on the date or dates of your carriage.

They are legally binding conditions passengers agree to when they purchase their ticket.

What 18.2 states is the cabin crew could have reported the passenger to the police on arrival to DXB and the passenger taking photos arrested without anything being said by the cabin crew member to the passenger. It is incumbent on the passenger to follow all laws, the cabin crew are not obligated to remind passengers of what the laws are, they generally do however.

The relevant laws are

Article 378 of the UAE Penal Code (Federal Law 3 of 1987)

Article 378(1)
Shall be sentenced to detention and to a fine, whoever violates the private or familial life of individuals, by perpetrating one of the following acts, unless authorized by law, or without the victim’s consent:
a. If he lends his ears, records or transmits, through an appa- ratus of any kind, conversations that took place in a private place or through the telephone or any other apparatus.
b. Captures or transmits, through any kind of apparatus, the picture of a person in a private place

Article 21 of the UAE Cyber Crime Law (Federal Law No. 5 of 2012)

Article 21
Shall be punished by imprisonment of a period of at least six months and a fine not less than one hundred and fifty thousand dirhams and not in excess of five hundred thousand dirhams or either of these two penalties whoever uses a computer network or and electronic information system or any information technology means for the invasion of privacy of another person in other than the cases allowed by the law and by any of the following ways:

1- Eavesdropping, interception, recording, transferring, transmitting or disclosure of conversations or communications, or audio or visual materials.
2- Photographing others or creating, transferring, disclosing, copying or saving electronic photos.
3- Publishing news, electronic photos or photographs, scenes, comments, statements or information even if true and correct.
Shall also be punished by imprisonment for a period of at least one year and a fine not less than two hundred and fifty thousand dirhams and not in excess of five hundred thousand dirhams or either of these two penalties whoever uses an electronic information system or any information technology means for amending or processing a record, photo or scene for the purpose of defamation of or offending another person or for attacking or invading his privacy.

Article 43 of the UAE Copyright Law (Federal Law No. 7 of 2002)

Article (43)
Unless otherwise agreed, whoever makes a photograph of another, in any manner whatsoever, has no right to keep, exhibit, publish or distribute the original or copies thereof, without authorization from the person who appears in the photo. Nevertheless, the photo may be published if made on occasion of public events, or relating to official or public persons or enjoying celebrity; or if the publication was authorized by the public authorities as a service for public interest; provided that the exhibition or circulation of the portrait does not prejudice the position of the person concerned by this photo.

Unless otherwise agreed, this person may authorize publishing the photo in the newspapers and other publishing media even though the photographer did not acquiesce.

By all means ignore everything I posted, get arrested and argue your point while in a UAE goal. Try and use as a defence that article you found in the internet, and claim ignorance of the UAE laws, even after being expressly told by the crew member that it is prohibited by copyright laws (which it is in the UAE), “ whoever makes a photograph of another, in any manner whatsoever, has no right to keep, exhibit, publish or distribute the original or copies thereof, without authorization from the person who appears in the photo”.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
zanl188
Posts: 3763
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:05 pm

Re: Not allowed to film or take photos in flight

Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:25 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
Dazed767 wrote:
Stop putting Sam on a pedestal, he's a hobbyist just like everyone else.


Well, next time ask for flight deck pic/vids or try to serve food on El Al. Bracelets would be on the menu.

He makes it look like a regular passenger vlogging, and does a decent job.


I suspect Chui has press credentials.
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 7961
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Not allowed to film or take photos in flight

Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:52 am

Breathe wrote:
hongkongflyer wrote:
Breathe wrote:
If the plane was on the ground in MEL, then UAE law wouldn't apply would it?


UAE laws applied wherever the plane is

This article appears to contradict what you have written:


When it pleases them airlines and countries are very happy to ignore the written laws, but as soon as something happens, rule book is thrown at anybody and everybody. Right after EK521, Dubai CAA tweeted warning anyone taking pictures or videos.

Similarly, it was perfectly fine to tape QR first A350 commercial flight, until there is an aborted takeoff. Then please switch off cameras!!

BTW, that article doesn't make sense, PIA pilot was on foreign soil, only after doors close airplane is sovereign property of registered country.
 
Breathe
Posts: 604
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:06 pm

Re: Not allowed to film or take photos in flight

Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:49 am

zeke wrote:
By all means ignore everything I posted, get arrested and argue your point while in a UAE goal. Try and use as a defence that article you found in the internet, and claim ignorance of the UAE laws, even after being expressly told by the crew member that it is prohibited by copyright laws (which it is in the UAE), “ whoever makes a photograph of another, in any manner whatsoever, has no right to keep, exhibit, publish or distribute the original or copies thereof, without authorization from the person who appears in the photo”.

Who said anything about ignoring what you posted and getting arrested and arguing my point in the UAE? I don't recall ever writing that I personally had any intention to do such a thing. I was simply asking a question regarding legal jurisdiction onboard an aircraft when it is in a foreign country.
 
Breathe
Posts: 604
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:06 pm

Re: Not allowed to film or take photos in flight

Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:55 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
Breathe wrote:
hongkongflyer wrote:

UAE laws applied wherever the plane is

This article appears to contradict what you have written:


When it pleases them airlines and countries are very happy to ignore the written laws, but as soon as something happens, rule book is thrown at anybody and everybody. Right after EK521, Dubai CAA tweeted warning anyone taking pictures or videos.

Similarly, it was perfectly fine to tape QR first A350 commercial flight, until there is an aborted takeoff. Then please switch off cameras!!

BTW, that article doesn't make sense, PIA pilot was on foreign soil, only after doors close airplane is sovereign property of registered country.

Thank you for your reply. It seems that the airlines or rather the staff appear to pick and choose when to enforce the rules or raise an issue with the authorities when they land the plane.

As a scenario (which is quite unlikely to happen) if an LGBT couple was on a flight about to arrive in say LHR coming from a flight from JED with Saudia and kissed each other. In theory could the flight crew have the power to stop the couple from departing in LHR and keep them on the plane and return back to Saudi Arabia to face "justice"?
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 14777
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: Not allowed to film or take photos in flight

Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:17 am

Breathe wrote:
Thank you for your reply. It seems that the airlines or rather the staff appear to pick and choose when to enforce the rules or raise an issue with the authorities when they land the plane.


No, crew don’t go jurisdiction shopping. As a passenger you need to be aware what you agreed to, in most times that states in the conditions of carriage that will abide by the laws that the country of the airline.

As a passenger you may have broken laws in that country even before the flight, for example if you were to post adverse comments on social media about countries in the Middle East or China you could easily find yourself in goal.

Crew are not police, their job is not to enforce the law. The police do that, and if they get involved after crew involvement it normally does not go well for the passenger. I travel on all sorts of airlines on my days off, and the behavior I see some people exhibit is absolutely deplorable.

The take away from this is to simply as permission before taking photos, and do not think as a passenger there are any “entitlements” based on which passport one holds.

Breathe wrote:
As a scenario (which is quite unlikely to happen) if an LGBT couple was on a flight about to arrive in say LHR coming from a flight from JED with Saudia and kissed each other. In theory could the flight crew have the power to stop the couple from departing in LHR and keep them on the plane and return back to Saudi Arabia to face "justice"?


No, crew would not be able to detain a passenger on the aircraft after the door is opened. The passenger could be arrested on their return.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
gmt
Topic Author
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:59 am

Re: Not allowed to film or take photos in flight

Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:23 pm

But in reality it all depends on your personality and the mood of the crew. That makes it hard to know if it is acceptable to take a picture.
 
blacksoviet
Posts: 1625
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am

Re: Not allowed to film or take photos in flight

Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:47 pm

I remember boarding an Air France 777-200ER via airstairs. Before I started walking up the steps, I pulled out my disposable camera and took a picture of the engine. An employee tried to block the shot with his hand but it was too late. He told me I am not allowed to take pictures.

This was in 2006 at CDG. Is this still the policy on the tarmac?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: LY777 and 30 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos