Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

RightRudder
Topic Author

Did Braniff have the first creative livery?

Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:03 am

The 727 was the first jetliner that I worked on as a baggage handler. It was the summer of 1983 and it was hot. So hot, that the weight from the nose gear wheels dug in the soft tarmac. I was dreaming of being a mechanic, LOL. The lead yelled at me. "Jump in and start loading". Inside the pit was a drawn tombstone with the words, RIP BRANIFF. "Braniff"? What's "Braniff"? I was later told that they were a Texas company with colorful planes that went belly up. "Hold on a minute, this plane I am working on is white". LOL. What a shot of reality to find out what the dog-eat-dog business was all about. So my career began...
"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana".

alasizon

Re: Did Braniff have the first creative livery?

Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:22 am

I'm sorry but what does your story have to do with livery creativity?
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

727LOVER

Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:22 am

RightRudder wrote:
"Braniff"? What's "Braniff"?.

Eye roll on THAT :roll:

WOW :o
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

mga707

Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:38 am

727LOVER wrote:
RightRudder wrote:

Agree. The summer of '83 was just a little after Braniff (the 'real' one) had shut down in May of 1982. You honestly did not remember them just a year later?

joeman

Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:42 am

To comment on the title of the thread...the jellybean scheme was in my opinion quite progressive at the time...a step away from common stripe later enhanced with double stripes in the case of the EA hockey stick livery and the CO and AA triple stripes. I thought the NE yellowbird livery was a creative change also.

Max Q

Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:50 am

Transtar was stunning
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

bravotango75

Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:51 am

mga707 wrote:
727LOVER wrote:
RightRudder wrote:

Agree. The summer of '83 was just a little after Braniff (the 'real' one) had shut down in May of 1982. You honestly did not remember them just a year later?

Well, the way I read it he seems to have been a kid (late teens, early 20s) at the time and depending on where he lived, Braniff may have not had a large or even a presence at the airport in which he was working. In my mid-teens, I recall that Braniff was a bit player here in Boston during the late 70s with a few flights to Dallas, then after Deregulation in '78', Braniff began to expand and BOS was one of their "focus" cities if I recall with flights to Europe. I suspect that not many Texans were familiar with Northeast, though they were a big deal here until their takeover by Delta in '72'.

NameOmitted

Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:14 am

This thread is missing obligatory photos:

Last edited by NameOmitted on Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

seat1a

Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:18 am

The jellybean livery was stunning for it's time. The black nose, white tail, everything about it screamed different. The Calder 727's and DC8's were very creative.

Was there a name for the two-tone scheme that came after the jellybean livery? Wasn't this part of the Flying Colors campaign? Also, was it Mary Wells who came up with that?

jaybird

Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:22 am

Around 64/65 is kind of when it started - the Eastern Ionisphere scheme .. the Northeast Yellowbird .. Braniff's "End of the Plain Plane" came in '65 .. airline marketing was at it's peak then ..

maps4ltd

Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:32 am

Now, everything has a mostly white fuselage in US domestic (except for Spirit, Southwest, and somewhat Sun Country & Allegiant).
Delta Gold Medallion

RightRudder
Topic Author

Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:41 am

bravotango75 wrote:
mga707 wrote:
727LOVER wrote:

Well, the way I read it he seems to have been a kid (late teens, early 20s) at the time and depending on where he lived, Braniff may have not had a large or even a presence at the airport in which he was working. In my mid-teens, I recall that Braniff was a bit player here in Boston during the late 70s with a few flights to Dallas, then after Deregulation in '78', Braniff began to expand and BOS was one of their "focus" cities if I recall with flights to Europe. I suspect that not many Texans were familiar with Northeast, though they were a big deal here until their takeover by Delta in '72'.

I was at a spoke station, so legacy airlines were somewhat uncommon there. I remember the slogan song, "Top Banana in the West, "Hughes Airwest" https://youtu.be/MgqHi3SBrLY
"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana".

TW870

Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:47 am

The short answer is yes - in every way. Braniff's "end of the plain plane" scheme was very ahead of the curve, as it invoked countercultural and psychedelic colors early on in that trend with a 1965 roll out. Even more importantly, the ad agency Jack Tinker partners put a woman - Mary Wells - as lead ad person on the account, which was highly unusual in that period. She went on to hire famous men - Alexander Girard and Emilio Pucci, who effectively reported to her, an overall practice which was years ahead of its time. I agree with others that the Eastern hockey stick and the Northeast Yellowbird were also evidence of this new, transformational aesthetics of the 1960s, but neither was ambitious or as interdisciplinary as far as the arts and design media go.

KlimaBXsst

Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:06 am

Credit does need to be given to Northeast Yellowbirds livery, a contemporary of Braniff.

Not nearly as unique as Braniff but a bit stylistically forward.

Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

reltney

Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:02 pm

KlimaBXsst wrote:
Credit does need to be given to Northeast Yellowbirds livery, a contemporary of Braniff.

Not nearly as unique as Braniff but a bit stylistically forward.

Absolutely ! Good post.
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

GSPSPOT

Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:33 pm

Hughes Airwest anyone?
Great Lakes, great life.

mga707

Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:50 pm

GSPSPOT wrote:
Hughes Airwest anyone?

RW adopted their unique 'Banana' colors in 1971, the year after Howard Hughes gained control of then-Air West. Braniff's equally-unique 'jellybean' multi-colored paint schemes were introduced in 1965, shortly after Harding Lawrence became CEO. Northeast's 'Yellowbird' colors were similarly adopted after a change in ownership of the chronically-financially troubled airline in 1966. So Braniff's was the first, and all three happened after changes in ownership or management.
Last edited by mga707 on Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KlimaBXsst

Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:55 pm

The high visibility yellow livery was not until after 1971 as a reaction to this incident in the wiki link. We are still looking for the earliest livery and color scheme revolutionary changes, maybe prior to the sixties? Pan Am streamlined cheatlines may have been revolutionary at the time?

Hughes Airwest managed to continue on so this response must have been a success.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hughes_Airwest_Flight_706

mga707

Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:42 pm

KlimaBXsst wrote:
The high visibility yellow livery was not until after 1971 as a reaction to this incident in the wiki link. We are still looking for the earliest livery and color scheme revolutionary changes, maybe prior to the sixties? Pan Am streamlined cheatlines may have been revolutionary at the time?

Hughes Airwest managed to continue on so this response must have been a success.

The yellow/purple 'banana' Hughes Airwest color scheme was already in development at the time of this mid-air collision. This wiki article perpetuates the 'urban folktale' that the collision was the impetus for the scheme change. It was not.

KlimaBXsst

Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:46 pm

mga707 wrote:
KlimaBXsst wrote:

The yellow/purple 'banana' Hughes Airwest color scheme was already in development at the time of this mid-air collision. This wiki article perpetuates the 'urban folktale' that the collision was the impetus for the scheme change. It was not.

Well that is an interesting update! Thanks I just wish we could find some links to that!

SANMAN66

Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:01 pm

RightRudder wrote:
I remember the slogan song, "Top Banana in the West, "Hughes Airwest" https://youtu.be/MgqHi3SBrLY

I guess Spirit is now the "Top banana" these days. I nicknamed their planes "The flying banana" or "Yellow bus".
PSA Gives you a lift!

880dc8707

Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:53 pm

The original AirWest planes were not the Hughes Airwest bananas, The 1st AirWest was a Eurowhite scheme with BN type colors, in two-tone - name middle front and the same colors split on the tail. Some of the colors were a red, teal, tan(gold), green in various combinations, Some are in the photos database. Not as early as BN but a different and creative look for the time (late 60s)

880dc8707

Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:53 pm

The original AirWest planes were not the Hughes Airwest bananas, The 1st AirWest was a Eurowhite scheme with BN type colors, in two-tone - name middle front and the same colors split on the tail. Some of the colors were a red, teal, tan(gold), green in various combinations, Some are in the photos database. Not as early as BN but a different and creative look for the time (late 60s)

Shrewfly

Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:32 am

When I was a kid, my grandparents brought me back a model of Braniffs orange 747
I played with it for years, but living in the UK I had never heard of the company, and its livery was so different from the BA, Air Canada Swissair, Sabena and AA liveries of my other models I thought it was a made up company.

It was years later when I realised it was a real airline. Thats how different their livery was to a british kid in the 80's

reltney

Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:46 am

SANMAN66 wrote:
RightRudder wrote:
I remember the slogan song, "Top Banana in the West, "Hughes Airwest" https://youtu.be/MgqHi3SBrLY

I guess Spirit is now the "Top banana" these days. I nicknamed their planes "The flying banana" or "Yellow bus".

Well, we call it the “taxi cab” . My F/Os are consistent saying Line up and wait runway 26 behind the departing taxi cab”. Just funny...

Cheers
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...