Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

spinotter
Topic Author

Help on one-way into BCN/EU need departing flight or other exit

Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:38 pm

Hello, fellow a.netters -

I have been following and even posting replies on a.net for a long time, but this may be my first indepedent post, so be kind. I booked a one-way BOS-BCN for tomorrow night, after having taken this flight once before on 12/28/2019. The first time I arrived at the checkin for this flight, the checkin staff forced me to buy a return ticket, and right there I did find one on Norwegian BCN-LGW-BOS for about 140 euros which I was able to use back to the USA. But this time I want to be prepared and to buy what I can use, or at least waste the least money possible. (1) First of all, what are the EU or airline regulations that insist that I have a departing flight when I arrive at BCN from the USA? Is it from the EU? From Spain? What? I need to read the fine print therein, perhaps. (2) And secondly, what is the cheapest fake departure anyone can find? So far I've got a $65 BCN-TNG on Ryanair. Anybody got better? (3) Thirdly, does the UK count as a valid departure destination from the EU after Brexit? I need to go to the UK but I want to come back to the EU, so how would that work? Another fake departure?

AirKevin

Re: Help on one-way into BCN/EU need departing flight or other exit

Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:38 pm

So the guy who wants everyone to travel by bike and on foot....now wants to fly somewhere. Interesting how that works out. I am kind of wondering, though, they just want a departing flight out of BCN or does it have to be one back to the United States. The wording is a little confusing here.
Captain Kevin

VSMUT

Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:42 am

spinotter wrote:

I have been following and even posting replies on a.net for a long time, but this may be my first indepedent post, so be kind. I booked a one-way BOS-BCN for tomorrow night, after having taken this flight once before on 12/28/2019. The first time I arrived at the checkin for this flight, the checkin staff forced me to buy a return ticket, and right there I did find one on Norwegian BCN-LGW-BOS for about 140 euros which I was able to use back to the USA. But this time I want to be prepared and to buy what I can use, or at least waste the least money possible. (1) First of all, what are the EU or airline regulations that insist that I have a departing flight when I arrive at BCN from the USA? Is it from the EU? From Spain? What? I need to read the fine print therein, perhaps. (2) And secondly, what is the cheapest fake departure anyone can find? So far I've got a $65 BCN-TNG on Ryanair. Anybody got better? (3) Thirdly, does the UK count as a valid departure destination from the EU after Brexit? I need to go to the UK but I want to come back to the EU, so how would that work? Another fake departure?

I am aware of no such rule. It is the EU, not a third world country. Sounds like the check-in staff made this one up.

As a non-EU citizen you should show that you have the necessary funds for the stay and that your intentions are legal, but that's about it.

A good travel agent should be able to arrange a dummy booking for you. Or just book an expensive refundable ticket yourself and cancel it once you reach Barcelona.

VSMUT

Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:46 am

Another point, you can only be required to leave the EU again. Nobody would force you to return to the US again. A low cost ticket to the nearest non-EU country would suffice as evidence. Ryanair flies to Morocco and Vueling to Algeria from Barcelona.

upperdeckfan

Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:45 am

A non-US citizen/resident can't fly on a one-way ticket to the US, same thing the other way around for a non EU citizent/resident going to the EU.

As said, you need to have a ticket leaving the EU regardless of where, one can guess North Africa or Eastern Europe (russia, ukraine, serbia, etc) to be the cheapest options. I wouldn't take any chances assuming UK qualifies as non-EU location currently.
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3

mmo

Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:41 am

If you check Schengen Borders Code, Article 5, you will find you have to be able to prove you have "means of subsistence for return to your country of origin (as a non-EU citizen). Proof on an onward ticket is proof you intend to leave the Schengen area, but it is not an absolute requirement. The problem is being able to show the "means of subsistence". The border authorities can demand a current ATM balance receipt or if you have an acceptable amount of cash that would also work. Having an onward travel ticket eliminates a lot of hassle.
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

VSMUT

Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:15 am

upperdeckfan wrote:
I wouldn't take any chances assuming UK qualifies as non-EU location currently.

Not currently, but OP was subject to this on the 28th of December.

eta unknown

Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:16 pm

The cheapest option is a screenshot cut & paste job.

debonair

Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:20 pm

VSMUT wrote:
I am aware of no such rule. It is the EU, not a third world country. Sounds like the check-in staff made this one up.

As a non-EU citizen you should show that you have the necessary funds for the stay and that your intentions are legal, but that's about it.

Not true at all, there is a rule, but not often used:
Visitors traveling as tourists must hold proof of sufficient funds to cover their stay (EUR 63.33, per day of stay with a minimum of EUR 569.97, or equivalent in other freely convertible currency),..
Important:
Visitors not holding return/onward tickets could be refused entry.

You will find cheap tickets with Ryanair on April 14th or 16th 2020 from BCN to Fes for 19,99€...

PatrickZ80

Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:29 pm

Just as long as you got a ticket from anywhere within the EU to anywhere outside the EU, you're fine. It doesn't have to be from Barcelona and it doesn't have to be to the USA. And to top it off, you don't even have to use it. You just got to have it booked.

Ryanair and Wizzair have a lot of dirt cheap flights leaving the EU. If you book a ticket from somewhere in Eastern Europe (but within the EU) to Ukraine (outside the EU) you're good even if you never intend to go there.

PatrickZ80

Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:35 pm

debonair wrote:
You will find cheap tickets with Ryanair on April 14th or 16th 2020 from BCN to Fes for 19,99€...

I found an even cheaper one, € 14,56 for a one-way from Budapest to Lviv on Wizzair, 22th of April. And yes, it qualifies.

spinotter
Topic Author

Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:48 pm

VSMUT wrote:
spinotter wrote:

A good travel agent should be able to arrange a dummy booking for you. Or just book an expensive refundable ticket yourself and cancel it once you reach Barcelona.

That is what I did - a dummy booking.

spinotter
Topic Author

Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:52 pm

eta unknown wrote:
The cheapest option is a screenshot cut & paste job.

I will try that next time.

directorguy

Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:06 pm

Generally speaking, citizens of Country A visiting Country B as short-term visitors/tourists will only be seeking entry for a short period of time, and are required to have a return or onward ticket out of Country B. Airlines are entitled to deny check-in or boarding if you travel to a country without a return/onward ticket. If you show up at immigration in any country without a return ticket, it would look very bad and could result in denied entry.

Note I said return or onward ticket. So technically it could be a ticket to Country C. However you must be admissible to that country as well.

In many cases, the check-in agents might even link two tickets together (or simply add the ticket number of the return flight in the remarks of the outbound ticket). So having a copy/paste fake ticket may not always work.

eurotrader85

Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:33 am

It doesn't even need to be a flight, given your the man who doesn't want any of us to fly, you could just book a foot passenger ticket on the ferry from the southern tip of Spain to Morocco.

PatrickZ80

Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:52 pm

directorguy wrote:
In many cases, the check-in agents might even link two tickets together (or simply add the ticket number of the return flight in the remarks of the outbound ticket). So having a copy/paste fake ticket may not always work.

True, they might verify the booking to see if it's legit. A non-legit booking might cause trouble. Therefor I wouldn't recommend a copy-paste job.

eurotrader85 wrote:
It doesn't even need to be a flight, given your the man who doesn't want any of us to fly, you could just book a foot passenger ticket on the ferry from the southern tip of Spain to Morocco.

True, or a train or bus ticket from Bulgaria to Turkey for example. Remember you're not restricted to Spain only for departure, the whole EU counts as one country here.

johns624

Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:56 pm

AirKevin wrote:
So the guy who wants everyone to travel by bike and on foot....now wants to fly somewhere. Interesting how that works out. I am kind of wondering, though, they just want a departing flight out of BCN or does it have to be one back to the United States. The wording is a little confusing here.
He seems to be a "Do as I say, not as I do" type person.

AirKevin

Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:41 am

johns624 wrote:
AirKevin wrote:
He seems to be a "Do as I say, not as I do" type person.

Yeah, I'm surprised he wasn't going to BCN via canoe.
Captain Kevin

eta unknown

Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:10 pm

Let me clarify cut & paste: you never ever do it with the same airline you are using to enter, an airline that is affiliated with that airline or one that operates to your point of departure airport (this way the reservation can't be verified or accessed). Ukraine Intl. has been very useful to me in these circumstances when departing on one way tickets from Australia to Europe.

Also- check-in staff normally can't access reservations mode- that's a separate access level and in some carriers is considered a conflict of interest.

classicjets

Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:30 am

Wondering how your trip went with the changes in situation following