Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dc10lover
Topic Author

What Is Your Dream Job?

Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:25 pm

4 Me It Was To Operate An Airline Plus Taxi TheJets In And Out Of The Gate. And Have This All On Video.

I ReallyWould Pay Off An AirCraft Upon Arrival. The aircraft That Is Already Payed For Generates The Most Profit$ Plus Eye Would Try To Carry More Cargo & Packages.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

PI4EVR

Re: What Is Your Dream Job?

Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:10 pm

To teach English, proper grammar and sentence structure. Hopefully I'd get "paid" for it.

IPFreely

Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:13 pm

That’s an interesting combo of responsibilities for a dream job. Would you make your own videos with a selfie stick or would you hire a professional production company?

johns624

Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:52 am

IPFreely wrote:
That’s an interesting combo of responsibilities for a dream job. Would you make your own videos with a selfie stick or would you hire a professional production company?
I'm sure his employer would really like him doing it, too.

VSMUT

Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:14 am

[*]
PI4EVR wrote:
To teach English, proper grammar and sentence structure. Hopefully I'd get "paid" for it.

:lol:

smallmj

Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:18 pm

Back in High School I wrote a little essay saying that my dream job was to be in the Canadian Senate. Good pay, limited number of actual working days. lifetime appointment to retirement at age 75, get to feel important without doing any work that actually matters... it is the perfect job.

My teacher was very disappointed in me.

flipdewaf

Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:25 pm

smallmj wrote:
Back in High School I wrote a little essay saying that my dream job was to be in the Canadian Senate. Good pay, limited number of actual working days. lifetime appointment to retirement at age 75, get to feel important without doing any work that actually matters... it is the perfect job.

My teacher was very disappointed in me.

My brother used to say he wanted to be a pet psychologist because no-one could prove him wrong.

Fred

WesternDC6B

Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:04 pm

Concert pianist. If I'm good, I earn good money.

There is also this: I have just finished a flawless performance of a concerto by Rachmaninoff, or by Shostakovitch. I'm sitting at a Boesendorfer Imperial Grand, or a Shigeru Kawai, or a Steinway Model D. The audience is going completely crazy with applause and is yelling "encore!". I have them in the palm of my hand.

That, fellow A-nutters, has to make one's day highly pleasant and satisfying.

The reality is that I am in my fifth year of lessons, having started after retirement. I will never be very good; I don't have enough life left. The closest to the dream I can get is that I have a 7ft Baldwin grand to learn on. And, it's a real Baldwin, not a Gibson Guitar Chinese knock-off.
A big heart is commendable. An enlarged heart is a medical condition.

dc10lover
Topic Author

Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:36 pm

As Profits Increase Because The AirCraft Are Payed Off Upon Delivery, Save Money Then Have 2 "Beautiful Birds" Be Payed For Upon Delivery.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

johns624

Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:02 pm

dc10lover wrote:
As Profits Increase Because The AirCraft Are Payed Off Upon Delivery, Save Money Then Have 2 "Beautiful Birds" Be Payed For Upon Delivery.
What does this have to do with your "dream job"?

hampshireandy

Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:22 pm

dc10lover wrote:

Stay off the booze and keep taking those tablets

seat1a

Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:52 pm

Finance Director or GM with Delta. Twenty-year Tech Finance guy here with that passion for airlines since childhood.

And they have a GM Reservation Finance role open now.

asr0dzjq

Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:19 am

My dream job? Being a famous actor and owning a private MD-11 (the last one ever built if possible) fitted with aux tanks to get as much range as possible. I'd fly myself, and cargo pilots with MD-11 type ratings would assist me on my flights. I'd pay each of them up to 25% more than what their employer would pay them for any given flight. Its default livery would be the grey/blue SkyTeam livery minus the "SKYTEAM" on the front and the logo on the tail (the blue swirly thingy would still be on the back), and it would be able to "shape-shift" (?) into any airline livery (minus logos and text).

What would I carry? Staff (cast, crew, et cetera), props, and equipment. Plus some special guests on occasion.

Unfortunately another thread I posted has made me realise that owning a private widebody is a huge challenge. Not only is it very expensive, but ground support can be extremely problematic in airports whose longest runways are less than 7000-8000 ft.
R.I.P. Douglas Aircraft Company
Born 22 July 1921 | Died 23 May 2006
You will be missed, but your management will not.

TWA772LR

Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:09 am

Pilot.

But medical situations have dictated otherwise...
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Fuling

Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:14 pm

ATC for me.

dc10lover wrote:

You do realise that you won't have a profit until you've made the money back right?

I'll bite and make it simple. Hypothetically you buy an A320neo in full at $110M. Your bank balance is now at -$110M. Also hypothetically, you find routes that you can operate that will bring you $30 net profit (after all deductions/expenses) per ticket. You also manage to operate all flights with a load factor of 100% (For today, 195 passengers per flight). Running flights around 1.5 hours long, you could operate 8 flights a day. Based on that, you'd need to do the same numbers everyday for 6.4 years JUST to get back your original $110M and bring your bank balance back to $0. Any flights after this point, would bring you a profit. 6.4 years without a profit. Is that OK with you?

FGITD

Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:14 pm

Fuling wrote:
ATC for me.

dc10lover wrote:

You do realise that you won't have a profit until you've made the money back right?

I'll bite and make it simple. Hypothetically you buy an A320neo in full at $110M. Your bank balance is now at -$110M. Also hypothetically, you find routes that you can operate that will bring you $30 net profit (after all deductions/expenses) per ticket. You also manage to operate all flights with a load factor of 100% (For today, 195 passengers per flight). Running flights around 1.5 hours long, you could operate 8 flights a day. Based on that, you'd need to do the same numbers everyday for 6.4 years JUST to get back your original $110M and bring your bank balance back to $0. Any flights after this point, would bring you a profit. 6.4 years without a profit. Is that OK with you?

ATC at a little airfield somewhere sounds fun. At ORD or JFK? Maybe not so much.

Aircraft buying is always a fun topic on here, mostly because almost no one on this site knows much about it (myself included) and its unique to every carrier.

But that's a good assessment of this users statements. "Have no debt so you have money" is a nice statement, but a little bit more complicated in real life. Scale it down to something tangible. Buy a car for $25k for use as a taxi. You want to pay it off so you can start making money, but you currently don't have the $25k in hand. Then multiply that by a few dozen taxis, and instead of $25k, it's $125 million. Not so simple anymore.

IAHFLYR

Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:22 pm

FGITD wrote:
ATC at a little airfield somewhere sounds fun. At ORD or JFK? Maybe not so much.

Nah, busier place is more fun as you won't get anywhere close to bored as you would at a smaller place.

Air Traffic Control is what I got into since a PP with 300 hours back in the mid 70's wasn't getting a job flying with corporate flying or airline with Vietnam just ending and all the military pilots exiting into those jobs. Guess it would end up with dream job #2 and it all worked out great.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

ElroyJetson

Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:41 am

Bus boy at Hooters
707 717 727 72S 737 733 737-700 747 757 753 767-300 764 A319 A320 DC-9-10 DC-9-30 DC-9-50, MD-82 MD-88 MD-90 DC-10-10 DC-10-40 F-100

Coal

Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:50 am

Senior Partner at a top 3 management consulting firm.
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN