Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
chongyilam128
Topic Author
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:19 am

Can Alaska Airlines Operate a flight from Anchorage to Hong Kong via Shanghai (either airport)?

Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:01 am

I calculated the distance on Google Maps, and the whole distance was suitable for an Airbus A321XLR. Does the plan work?
 
Aceskywalker
Posts: 148
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:55 am

Re: Can Alaska Airlines Operate a flight from Anchorage to Hong Kong via Shanghai (either airport)?

Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:29 pm

AS has no orders for A321XLR. And them setting up Trans-Pacific flights would be a great way to light money on fire.
 
xiaotung
Posts: 1075
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:58 pm

Re: Can Alaska Airlines Operate a flight from Anchorage to Hong Kong via Shanghai (either airport)?

Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:41 pm

No foreign airlines are allowed to codeshare between HKG and mainland China let alone a through flight.
 
User avatar
OzarkD9S
Posts: 5679
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2001 2:31 am

Re: Can Alaska Airlines Operate a flight from Anchorage to Hong Kong via Shanghai (either airport)?

Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:11 pm

xiaotung wrote:

No foreign airlines are allowed to codeshare between HKG and mainland China let alone a through flight.


This. And even if they could, why on Earth would they want to?
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio
 
twicearound
Posts: 175
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:56 pm

Re: Can Alaska Airlines Operate a flight from Anchorage to Hong Kong via Shanghai (either airport)?

Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:37 pm

I've calculated that my kitchen knife will suitably fit in an electrical socket. Does that plan work?
 
argentinevol98
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:40 pm

Re: Can Alaska Airlines Operate a flight from Anchorage to Hong Kong via Shanghai (either airport)?

Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:41 pm

I suppose you could come close to filling an A321XLR (if at some point they would order some) from ANC to Shanghai seasonally with perhaps less than daily frequency (forget the HK tag) but I can't imagine yields would be great, not to mention that AS has no XLRs on order. On top of that if some Chinese state airline not particularly concerned with making profits jumped on the route it would kill whatever loads and yields that AS could be making off the route.
"He sospechado alguna vez que la única cosa sin misterio es la felicidad, porque se justifica por sí sola"-Jorge Luis Borges
 
Byrdluvs747
Posts: 2540
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:25 am

Re: Can Alaska Airlines Operate a flight from Anchorage to Hong Kong via Shanghai (either airport)?

Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:06 pm

Truthfully, I would be happier if AS flew to Vladivostok.
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.
 
Ziyulu
Posts: 906
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:35 am

Re: Can Alaska Airlines Operate a flight from Anchorage to Hong Kong via Shanghai (either airport)?

Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:47 pm

Does AS serve any complimentary meals on international flights?
 
Rossiya747
Posts: 322
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:56 am

Re: Can Alaska Airlines Operate a flight from Anchorage to Hong Kong via Shanghai (either airport)?

Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:54 pm

No because they will be joining oneworld soon and American should be able to fulfill their needs. I'd rather see ANC-VVO/PKC/KHV than that
223 319 320 321 332 333 346 388 734 737 738 739 38M 744 752 753 763 764 772 773 77W 788 789 208 CRJ2 E145 E190 UA DL AA WN AC CM 4O AV 2K FI DY D8 SK LH EI FR U2 IB OS LX BA VS BT PS MS SA SW QR EY HY AI 9W TG SQ MH AK D7 QZ BR NH CA QF MI LV/IB VY AL
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 4271
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Can Alaska Airlines Operate a flight from Anchorage to Hong Kong via Shanghai (either airport)?

Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:12 pm

chongyilam128 wrote:
the whole distance was suitable for an Airbus A321XLR.


Indeed it would be in still air, however in reality the air between Anchorage and Shanghai isn't still. This part of the world sees some of the strongest winds on the planet and when flying westwards, those are headwinds. This would greatly reduce the range of the plane. Sure from Anchorage it can still make Japan or South Korea, but Shanghai is too far stretched. Difference between theory and reality.

So suppose they stop in Japan instead of Shanghai, they might be able to get fifth freedom rights between Japan and Hong Kong. That's a lot more likely than between Shanghai and Hong Kong, where foreign airlines are strictly forbidden to operate. However on this route they'd be facing strong competition, so while it's technically possible it likely wouldn't be profitable.
 
Byrdluvs747
Posts: 2540
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:25 am

Re: Can Alaska Airlines Operate a flight from Anchorage to Hong Kong via Shanghai (either airport)?

Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:14 pm

Rossiya747 wrote:
No because they will be joining oneworld soon and American should be able to fulfill their needs.


The problem is that AA doesn't fly ANC-Asia without some serious backtracking. The only OW option to Asia involves ANC-SEA-(HKG/NRT). Unless JL starts a TYO-ANC route, ANC won't have a convenient connection to Asia.


Rossiya747 wrote:
I'd rather see ANC-VVO/PKC/KHV than that


I'd like to see S7 give ANC-VVO a try with their 321neo. Maybe 3-4x weekly.
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.
 
Rossiya747
Posts: 322
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:56 am

Re: Can Alaska Airlines Operate a flight from Anchorage to Hong Kong via Shanghai (either airport)?

Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:05 pm

Byrdluvs747 wrote:
Rossiya747 wrote:
No because they will be joining oneworld soon and American should be able to fulfill their needs.


The problem is that AA doesn't fly ANC-Asia without some serious backtracking. The only OW option to Asia involves ANC-SEA-(HKG/NRT). Unless JL starts a TYO-ANC route, ANC won't have a convenient connection to Asia.


Rossiya747 wrote:
I'd rather see ANC-VVO/PKC/KHV than that


I'd like to see S7 give ANC-VVO a try with their 321neo. Maybe 3-4x weekly.


Yakutia does ANC-PKC on a seasonal basis but the fares are damn too high
223 319 320 321 332 333 346 388 734 737 738 739 38M 744 752 753 763 764 772 773 77W 788 789 208 CRJ2 E145 E190 UA DL AA WN AC CM 4O AV 2K FI DY D8 SK LH EI FR U2 IB OS LX BA VS BT PS MS SA SW QR EY HY AI 9W TG SQ MH AK D7 QZ BR NH CA QF MI LV/IB VY AL
 
blacksoviet
Posts: 1688
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am

Re: Can Alaska Airlines Operate a flight from Anchorage to Hong Kong via Shanghai (either airport)?

Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:43 pm

Aceskywalker wrote:
AS has no orders for A321XLR. And them setting up Trans-Pacific flights would be a great way to light money on fire.

They were able to make money operating transpacific flights with 707s.
 
argentinevol98
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:40 pm

Re: Can Alaska Airlines Operate a flight from Anchorage to Hong Kong via Shanghai (either airport)?

Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:51 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
Aceskywalker wrote:
AS has no orders for A321XLR. And them setting up Trans-Pacific flights would be a great way to light money on fire.

They were able to make money operating transpacific flights with 707s.


With oil at cents a barrel and highly regulated markets that limited competition keeping fares high. Very different environment today. That's not to say that I don't see some secondary TPAC markets being opened by long-haul narrow-body flying however.
"He sospechado alguna vez que la única cosa sin misterio es la felicidad, porque se justifica por sí sola"-Jorge Luis Borges
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 4271
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Can Alaska Airlines Operate a flight from Anchorage to Hong Kong via Shanghai (either airport)?

Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:20 am

Indeed the market has changed significantly and what was profitable back then would not be profitable anymore today.

The 707s that operated back then were mainline service, connecting the largest cities with each other. Today long haul narrow body would be a niche with a smaller city at at least one end. Those are the only routes where mainline operations on wide body aircraft wouldn't kick them off. And yes, Anchorage is a small city. Back in the days it was a fuel stop, there were hardly any passengers traveling between Anchorage and Hong Kong (or anywhere in Asia for that matter). It was about passengers between mainland USA and Asia. Long range wide body aircraft have made that fuel stop redundant.

For a long time narrow body aircraft didn't have the range to make it from Anchorage to anywhere in Asia other than Russia, only very recently that changed. However still the market is very small, so will these aircraft be small enough? Or would you need a regional jet with long range capability to meet the demand?
 
blacksoviet
Posts: 1688
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am

Re: Can Alaska Airlines Operate a flight from Anchorage to Hong Kong via Shanghai (either airport)?

Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:27 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Indeed the market has changed significantly and what was profitable back then would not be profitable anymore today.

The 707s that operated back then were mainline service, connecting the largest cities with each other. Today long haul narrow body would be a niche with a smaller city at at least one end. Those are the only routes where mainline operations on wide body aircraft wouldn't kick them off. And yes, Anchorage is a small city. Back in the days it was a fuel stop, there were hardly any passengers traveling between Anchorage and Hong Kong (or anywhere in Asia for that matter). It was about passengers between mainland USA and Asia. Long range wide body aircraft have made that fuel stop redundant.

For a long time narrow body aircraft didn't have the range to make it from Anchorage to anywhere in Asia other than Russia, only very recently that changed. However still the market is very small, so will these aircraft be small enough? Or would you need a regional jet with long range capability to meet the demand?

Why can’t they put their 73Gs on these routes?
 
User avatar
AirKevin
Posts: 619
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:18 am

Re: Can Alaska Airlines Operate a flight from Anchorage to Hong Kong via Shanghai (either airport)?

Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:20 am

blacksoviet wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
Indeed the market has changed significantly and what was profitable back then would not be profitable anymore today.

The 707s that operated back then were mainline service, connecting the largest cities with each other. Today long haul narrow body would be a niche with a smaller city at at least one end. Those are the only routes where mainline operations on wide body aircraft wouldn't kick them off. And yes, Anchorage is a small city. Back in the days it was a fuel stop, there were hardly any passengers traveling between Anchorage and Hong Kong (or anywhere in Asia for that matter). It was about passengers between mainland USA and Asia. Long range wide body aircraft have made that fuel stop redundant.

For a long time narrow body aircraft didn't have the range to make it from Anchorage to anywhere in Asia other than Russia, only very recently that changed. However still the market is very small, so will these aircraft be small enough? Or would you need a regional jet with long range capability to meet the demand?

Why can’t they put their 73Gs on these routes?

Would it be profitable.
Captain Kevin
 
chongyilam128
Topic Author
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:19 am

Re: Can Alaska Airlines Operate a flight from Anchorage to Hong Kong via Shanghai (either airport)?

Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:58 am

Well, Alaska Airlines would retire their A319 and A320s. Who says that they won’t replace them with A321LRs and XLRs?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos