Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AA747123
Topic Author

American Freezes AAdvantage Accounts

Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:37 pm

American Airlines has begun to freeze and revoke miles of AAdvantage members for allegedly violating the rules of the program. Basically this has to do with credit card promotional offers. American Airlines sells miles to Citibank and Barclays card and those banks issue them as they see fit, they offer generous bonuses just for signing up and spending a certain amount in a time period after joining.

So what some people were doing is they would sign up with Citi Card, then a month later Barclays and claim double bonus for signing up. American says thats a violation of the rules, and is now going in an freezing the accounts of these people, in some cases AFTER they have made a reservation and they show up to check in,

https://onemileatatime.com/american-aad ... shut-down/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ3DAwvslQc

IPFreely

Re: American Freezes AAdvantage Accounts

Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:55 pm

Good for AA.

TTailedTiger

Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:10 pm

AA just doesn't know when to quit. They generate such bad will with their customers.

eta unknown

Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:12 pm

AA only just caught on to this? Amex plugged this loophole at least 2 years ago.

chepos

American Freezes AAdvantage Accounts

Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:17 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
AA just doesn't know when to quit. They generate such bad will with their customers.

I assume you did not read the article linked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

Byrdluvs747

Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:18 pm

AA747123 wrote:

So what some people were doing is they would sign up with Citi Card, then a month later Barclays and claim double bonus for signing up. American says thats a violation of the rules, and is now going in an freezing the accounts of these people, in some cases AFTER they have made a reservation and they show up to check in,

What rule does this violate? If you received double signup miles from Citi, then yes, it would be a violaion of Citi's rules. However, receiving additional miles from a separate card issuer is not a violation of AAdvantage rules.

Doug Parker must be handling this personally.
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

TTailedTiger

Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:20 pm

chepos wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

I read it. There is no rule violation. AA is the most hostile US airline toward their customers. If they felt there was a violation then they should have contacted the customer. Not freeze their account.

Mboyle1988

Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:24 pm

Doug Parker is so bad at this....

9w748capt

Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:27 pm

What a grossly misleading and poorly written post. The account closures have NOTHING to do with having both Citi and Barclays AA cards. These violators were shut down for other infractions such as signing up for aadvantage using their pet's name and then using mailers addressed to their pet to obtain more signup bonuses.

OP, if you're looking for sympathy here, look elsewhere. But at least fess up to what you did first.

Frankly I'm ecstatic that these cheaters are losing millions of miles. Maybe there will actually be award space for the rest of us now.

9w748capt

Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:30 pm

Mboyle1988 wrote:
Doug Parker is so bad at this....

Dougie is in general horrible at life, but this is one thing I have to say I'm happy AA is doing. But yes, Doug sucks.

peterinlisbon

Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:56 pm

9w748capt wrote:
What a grossly misleading and poorly written post. The account closures have NOTHING to do with having both Citi and Barclays AA cards. These violators were shut down for other infractions such as signing up for aadvantage using their pet's name and then using mailers addressed to their pet to obtain more signup bonuses.

OP, if you're looking for sympathy here, look elsewhere. But at least fess up to what you did first.

Frankly I'm ecstatic that these cheaters are losing millions of miles. Maybe there will actually be award space for the rest of us now.

AA probably got suspicious when a poodle turned up at DFW and tried to use its AAdvantage Card to get into the First Class Lounge.

DL747400

Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:02 pm

IMO, this is a great move by AA and long overdue. Every airline should be doing exactly the same within their respective credit card and loyalty programs.

Any airline should close the accounts and confiscate the miles of anyone who would go to such blatantly fraudulent lengths to scam the system and to defraud the company. The vast majority or airline frequent flyers and credit card holders play by the rules and are sickened that this type of abuse has been allowed to go on unchallenged for so long because there is fear of potentially offending a customer. Except these are not customers. They are criminals.

In addition to closing their accounts, confiscating their miles and cancelling their award reservations, it would be enormously satisfying if AA also filed criminal lawsuits against these scammers seeking recovery of damages, compensation for losses and reimbursement for legal fees.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

Rookie87

Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:04 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
chepos wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

I read it. There is no rule violation. AA is the most hostile US airline toward their customers. If they felt there was a violation then they should have contacted the customer. Not freeze their account.

Don't know what you read but we know you clearly didn't read the linked article.
People apparently using their pets, fake people etc to open accounts.
But regarding the hostility you claim, AA corproate security also forgives those who fess up and gives them another chance. All in the linked article but yea...you read it *eye roll*

I'm glad AA is is doing this and cleaning house for us legit frequent flyers

smokeybandit

Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:05 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:
9w748capt wrote:

AA probably got suspicious when a poodle turned up at DFW and tried to use its AAdvantage Card to get into the First Class Lounge.

Emotional Support Animals are AAdvantage members too!

airbazar

Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:05 pm

I'm curious why this is an issue for AA? AA received the money for the miles. The CC company cannot give away miles it did not pay for. All miles were paid for so why is this a problem for AA? If anything it's the CC company that should be penalizing its customers, or AA should be penalizing the CC company for violating the agreement if such a thing occurred. I don't see how the customer is at fault here.

umichman

Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:20 pm

The blog post is from a few months ago. There's a very long discussion thread over on Flyertalk on this where it as been rehashed to death. Normally one is only entitled to one credit card signup bonus every 24 months, but some people figured out how to get a new signup offer every 33 days or so that did fall under the 24 month limitation.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/america ... churn.html

einsteinboricua

Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:39 pm

Rookie87 wrote:
Don't know what you read but we know you clearly didn't read the linked article.

Except the OP didn't mention the fraudulent ways and instead is saying that just the mere fact of obtaining miles with two separate card issuers is a violation in and of itself. I haven't seen where on the program we cannot obtain miles with both credit cards. You'd think they'd post it on their site that if you obtained the bonus with one card you have to wait X months before obtaining it with the second one. So far, there's no indication that you can't get bonuses with both cards.

As far as opening credit cards by adding people/pets/whatever, I support AA's actions, but at the same time, if your system has loopholes that allow that to happen, then maybe the fault is yours for not tightening them.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

TWA85

Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:10 pm

airbazar wrote:
I'm curious why this is an issue for AA? AA received the money for the miles. The CC company cannot give away miles it did not pay for. All miles were paid for so why is this a problem for AA? If anything it's the CC company that should be penalizing its customers, or AA should be penalizing the CC company for violating the agreement if such a thing occurred. I don't see how the customer is at fault here.

Airlines often sell those miles to the credit card companies at deep discounts. Otherwise it wouldn't be worthwhile for the credit card companies to buy the miles. People abusing the rules of the frequent flyer program are purchasing seats with frequent flyer miles that otherwise could have been sold to people paying full fares. Yes AA, still received revenue from the frequent flyer miles sold to the credit card companies, however it's significantly discounted compared to the revenue of a full fare.

asr0dzjq

Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:27 pm

DL747400 wrote:
In addition to closing their accounts, confiscating their miles and cancelling their award reservations, it would be enormously satisfying if AA also filed criminal lawsuits against these scammers seeking recovery of damages, compensation for losses[,] and reimbursement for legal fees.

All that's left is to add in permanent "no fly" bans. And make sure every airline implement this.

TTailedTiger wrote:

While I'm not fond of AA at all, what are you talking about?
R.I.P. Douglas Aircraft Company
Born 22 July 1921 | Died 23 May 2006
You will be missed, but your management will not.

Rookie87

Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:31 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Rookie87 wrote:

Except the OP didn't mention the fraudulent ways and instead is saying that just the mere fact of obtaining miles with two separate card issuers is a violation in and of itself. I haven't seen where on the program we cannot obtain miles with both credit cards. You'd think they'd post it on their site that if you obtained the bonus with one card you have to wait X months before obtaining it with the second one. So far, there's no indication that you can't get bonuses with both cards.

As far as opening credit cards by adding people/pets/whatever, I support AA's actions, but at the same time, if your system has loopholes that allow that to happen, then maybe the fault is yours for not tightening them.

That is the OP, I'm referring to TT's response to Chepos

edealinfo

Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:33 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
As far as opening credit cards by adding people/pets/whatever, .

And how does a pet get a social security number?

bgm

Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:39 pm

AA747123 wrote:
American Airlines has begun to freeze and revoke miles of AAdvantage members for allegedly violating the rules of the program. Basically this has to do with credit card promotional offers. American Airlines sells miles to Citibank and Barclays card and those banks issue them as they see fit, they offer generous bonuses just for signing up and spending a certain amount in a time period after joining.

https://onemileatatime.com/american-aad ... shut-down/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ3DAwvslQc

Did you actually even bother to read the links that you posted? :sarcastic:

People were using codes obtained from opening fake AA membership accounts to get more signup bonuses. Of course AA should close these accounts, it's fraud plain and simple.

Do you think defrauding a company is acceptable behavior?

edealinfo wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
As far as opening credit cards by adding people/pets/whatever, .

And how does a pet get a social security number?

The credit cards were not opened in fake names, the AA accounts were. Then mailings were sent to the fake account holder with promo codes that enabled them to open credit card accounts in the real person's name (and getting the AA miles).
If you hate wearing a mask, you’re really going to hate using a ventilator.

TTailedTiger

Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:57 pm

asr0dzjq wrote:
DL747400 wrote:
In addition to closing their accounts, confiscating their miles and cancelling their award reservations, it would be enormously satisfying if AA also filed criminal lawsuits against these scammers seeking recovery of damages, compensation for losses[,] and reimbursement for legal fees.

All that's left is to add in permanent "no fly" bans. And make sure every airline implement this.

TTailedTiger wrote:

Project Oasis should tell you everything you need to know about how AA regards their passengers...

9w748capt

Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:33 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:

Sounds like you were one of the churners that AA caught. I'm guessing AA couldn't care less what you think of them. Not only that, but folks like me who've actually played by the rules are very happy with this action by AA. No matter how you spin it, opening AA accounts in your pet's name to generate extra mailers and thus bonus miles is against the T&C. That's really not debatable, which is why AA has deleted accounts with impunity.

TTailedTiger

Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:36 pm

9w748capt wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Sounds like you were one of the churners that AA caught. I'm guessing AA couldn't care less what you think of them. Not only that, but folks like me who've actually played by the rules are very happy with this action by AA. No matter how you spin it, opening AA accounts in your pet's name to generate extra mailers and thus bonus miles is against the T&C. That's really not debatable, which is why AA has deleted accounts with impunity.

I don't fly on US Airways dba American Airlines.

IPFreely

Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:59 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:

People who buy tickets are customers. People who fraudulently apply for credit cards using phone names in a blatant attempt to same the airlines out of miles/trips are not customers, they're thieves. They're lucky the only repercussion is a frozen account and not legal action from AA and/or the credit card issuers.

asr0dzjq

Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:18 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
asr0dzjq wrote:
DL747400 wrote:

TTailedTiger wrote:

Project Oasis should tell you everything you need to know about how AA regards their passengers...

https://thepointsguy.com/news/aa-confir ... rovements/

Holy crap.
R.I.P. Douglas Aircraft Company
Born 22 July 1921 | Died 23 May 2006
You will be missed, but your management will not.

9w748capt

Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:20 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
9w748capt wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

I don't fly on US Airways dba American Airlines.

Then why do you care? If you don't fly LCC then why does it matter how poorly Dougie treats his customers?

FriscoHeavy

Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:35 pm

People are exaggerating everything.

No closures here and both my wife and me have had multiple Citicards each (personal and business), along with personal and business Barclays cards.

There is more going on causing people’s accounts to get closed down.
Whatever

HardeesBiscuit

Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:28 pm

This all started happening in December, nearly 3 months ago. Did you just hear about this OP? The other forums have been lit up for ages on this very subject, Frankly really shocking there hasn't been any post here about this till now. Reddit exploded in the churning (credit card churning) subreddits, spun off a whole new subreddit that was made private, kicked hundreds of people out of it, and has now moved onto a NEW private subreddit solely about trying to do a class action lawsuit. There are far better sources of current info than the December youtube and one mile at a time december posting. Here is a public posting from flyertalk https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1999652-aa-accounts-restricted-nov-dec-2019-a.html with well over 3000 comments and still going. the ones in the AA forum over there are already shut down. Happy the scammers go caught and are being penalized, to be honest.

9w748capt

Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:52 pm

HardeesBiscuit wrote:
This all started happening in December, nearly 3 months ago. Did you just hear about this OP? The other forums have been lit up for ages on this very subject, Frankly really shocking there hasn't been any post here about this till now. Reddit exploded in the churning (credit card churning) subreddits, spun off a whole new subreddit that was made private, kicked hundreds of people out of it, and has now moved onto a NEW private subreddit solely about trying to do a class action lawsuit. There are far better sources of current info than the December youtube and one mile at a time december posting. Here is a public posting from flyertalk https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1999652-aa-accounts-restricted-nov-dec-2019-a.html with well over 3000 comments and still going. the ones in the AA forum over there are already shut down. Happy the scammers go caught and are being penalized, to be honest.

Agreed. OP has probably posted elsewhere and not gotten a favorable response, so trying their luck here. Not happening!

waly777

Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:49 am

Excellent for AA and the airlines linked to AA advantage. I hope other airlines follow suit and not just freeze but outright cancel the accounts for those violating the rules.
The test of first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold 2 opposed ideas in the mind concurrently, and still function