LongIslander123
Topic Author

Trip to Europe, need advice

Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:22 pm

Hello airliners forum

I am new to these forums, this is my first post here.

Shortly I'll be on a business trip to Amsterdam, I need to visit a customer of the company which I work for somewhere in the Netherlands. My employer has booked a flight for me. The thing is, I have a friend who lives in Warsaw and I would like to visit him. I have a few days off while in the Netherlands but I'm flexible in which days.

My question is, at the moment with the Corona virus going on, is it safe to make such a trip? There's no avoiding going to the Netherlands, I just need to visit that customer. But the extension to Warsaw is my own choice.

I don't want to spend too much money on that trip to Warsaw. Any cheap airlines on the Amsterdam Warsaw route? I heard some of the low-cost airlines in Europe are extremely cheap. Which airline do you recommend? My friend can provide everything I need during my stay there so I don't need much luggage.

Thank you very much for your advice!

debonair

Re: Trip to Europe, need advice

Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:19 pm

You can fly easily from Eindhoven Airport to Warsaw-Chopin on WizzAir or to Warsaw-Modlin on Ryanair. Depends on the budget and which airport is closer to your friends home!

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:26 am

Buy the travel insurance!

PatrickZ80

Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:14 am

There are no low-cost airlines flying Amsterdam - Warsaw, the only two airlines on this route are KLM and LOT. With the exception of EasyJet, low-cost airlines in the Netherlands mostly use Eindhoven airport. Only EasyJet uses Amsterdam, but they don't fly to Warsaw. As Debonair already mentioned, both Ryanair and Wizzair fly from Eindhoven to Warsaw. Wizzair uses Warsaw Chopin airport while Ryanair uses Warsaw Modlin airport. Chopin is the big Warsaw airport which is very near the city. Modlin is the secondary Warsaw airport, a good distance away from the city but a bus service is available.

As for the Corona virus, it's probably worse in the Netherlands than it is in Poland so you'll be relatively safe with your friend. Watch out at Eindhoven airport as there are quite a few cases of Corona in that area. Of course I don't know where in the Netherlands you'll be staying, but it makes most sense to take the train to Eindhoven central station and from there the bus to the airport. Trains in the Netherlands are frequent and reliable.

tommy1808

Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:16 am

LongIslander123 wrote:
Hello airliners forum

Shortly I'll be on a business trip to Amsterdam, I need to visit a customer of the company which I work for somewhere in the Netherlands. My employer has booked a flight for me. The thing is, I have a friend who lives in Warsaw and I would like to visit him. I have a few days off while in the Netherlands but I'm flexible in which days.

My question is, at the moment with the Corona virus going on, is it safe to make such a trip? There's no avoiding going to the Netherlands, I just need to visit that customer. But the extension to Warsaw is my own choice.

I don't want to spend too much money on that trip to Warsaw. Any cheap airlines on the Amsterdam Warsaw route? I heard some of the low-cost airlines in Europe are extremely cheap. Which airline do you recommend? My friend can provide everything I need during my stay there so I don't need much luggage.

With regards to Corona Virus where you are coming from may be important... leaving from the US you may have a problem coming back starting this friday..

best regards
Thomas
....the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero

DTWLAX

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:22 am

Trump just made it easier for you. Do not travel and if you do, you cannot come back!
Don't know why you are saying you cannot avoid going to the Netherlands when companies all over the world are cutting business travel.

Dahlgardo

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:20 pm

LongIslander123 wrote:
Hello airliners forum

At the moment I don't think it matters much as to where you are going.
Biggest risk to catch the virus is probably the use public/collective transport, which includes airports and airtravel.
Airtavel should be more or less shut down IMHO.

Best advice I can give is to postpone the trip until pandemic has run out of steam.
At the moment there is no way to tell where it's heading, but it's not looking good.
leave your nines at home and bring your skills to the battle

PITingres

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:47 pm

DTWLAX wrote:
Don't know why you are saying you cannot avoid going to the Netherlands when companies all over the world are cutting business travel.

Seriously? Think a moment, please. Not all business travel is for meetings and elbow-rubbing! Sure that sort of thing can generally be postponed or done remotely, up to a point. But sometimes you have to be on the spot to lay hands on a recalcitrant piece of equipment (I've been there) and trying to do it remotely is a good way to waste everyone's time, and can be actively dangerous depending on what you're working on.
Fly, you fools! Fly!

VSMUT

Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:03 am

LongIslander123 wrote:

Don't focus your search entirely on low cost airlines. They are rarely much cheaper, I often find them more expensive. Flying to Eindhoven you will lose any savings on ground transport to Amsterdam. Looking at some random dates in April, LOT is consistently the cheapest. If things go ploin shaped (which is probably a given right now), you will also be way better served by flying with a better airline that will help you get onwards, as opposed to a LCC that can't/won't be contacted.

Delta777Jet

Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:32 pm

Simply don’t fly right now !
I still miss Trans World Airlines and the L-1011

DTWLAX

Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:47 pm

PITingres wrote:
DTWLAX wrote:

Seriously? Think a moment, please. Not all business travel is for meetings and elbow-rubbing! Sure that sort of thing can generally be postponed or done remotely, up to a point. But sometimes you have to be on the spot to lay hands on a recalcitrant piece of equipment (I've been there) and trying to do it remotely is a good way to waste everyone's time, and can be actively dangerous depending on what you're working on.

So laying hands on a piece of equipment is more important than preventing yourself from being exposed to or catching a disease?? Is that your priority right now when Europe has been declared as the new epicenter for the virus?
Anyways, it is your call.

Wednesdayite

Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:19 pm

Given that Poland is closing its border to non-Polish citizens this thread is now pretty much academic.
A318/19/20/21/30/40. B717/27/37/47/57/67/77/87. CRJ2/7. ERJ145/175/190. FKR50. IL62. MD11/82/83/88. TU154.
AA AC AF AI AR AS AT AV AZ BA BW BY CO DA DL F9 FR JJ KL LH MA NW NZ OS RG SU TK U2 UA US VS WN

IPFreely

Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:30 pm

Lots of people getting a dose of reality that their "critical, mandatory, no option, I have to go" business trips aren't really all that important after all.

bluefrog

Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:11 pm

you need to tell your boss to go f himself !! LOL sending you to europe at this time, in france we are allowed to refuse to do a job we're told if it is a danger to our lives,catching covid 19 is a life threatening reason to say nope not going ,,anyway your arrive in Amsterdam should be ok but expect a 14 day self isolated holiday at home if you can get back state side ..at best oh and forget seeing your mate poland will be on lockdown before you leave

PITingres

Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:58 pm

DTWLAX wrote:
PITingres wrote:
DTWLAX wrote:

So laying hands on a piece of equipment is more important than preventing yourself from being exposed to or catching a disease?? Is that your priority right now when Europe has been declared as the new epicenter for the virus?
Anyways, it is your call.

Sure, it might be. People are talking as if catching COVID-19 were a death sentence regardless of age or circumstance, and that's nonsense.

If the device in question were a key part of manufacturing test kits, are you still going to argue for sitting at home? Or if it were a drug manufacturing reactor, or a computer system tracking the required parts flow? Use your heads, people. Some things can't just be turned off without major (and possibly dire!) consequences.

Now, it's true that the trip in question might be as simple as a sales call, and that can and should be postponed. I'm merely trying to explain that not every business trip is just a face-to-face as some here seem to be thinking. Maybe 70-80% of business travel can be deferred, maybe even 90%, but it's absolutely not 100%.
Fly, you fools! Fly!

Blerg

Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:51 pm

Depends when you are going but Poland is on a lockdown, make sure it's over before you go. Also, please do check if Poland will require you to be quarantened before letting you in.

Given how things change every day, I would not go to Poland right now. Too much risk.

Wednesdayite

Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:29 pm

Netherlands also now imposing lock down measures. All bars, restaurants, and schools closed.
A318/19/20/21/30/40. B717/27/37/47/57/67/77/87. CRJ2/7. ERJ145/175/190. FKR50. IL62. MD11/82/83/88. TU154.
AA AC AF AI AR AS AT AV AZ BA BW BY CO DA DL F9 FR JJ KL LH MA NW NZ OS RG SU TK U2 UA US VS WN