Derico
Topic Author

Website to compare year to year flight prices?

Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:42 pm

I hate opening a thread like this, but I have really googled for two days now and I can't find anything definite. Is there a website than can tell me how the price of a flight ticket has changed in a certain period of time, or how much cheaper or expensive it is than the average price in a year? I have a chance to travel from my current location, and I see some ridiculous low hotel prices to many destinations but since these destinations are not ones I had kept an eye for in the past, I have no idea if what I am paying is reasonable or deeply discounted. Of course this is all because of the current global situation. Any advice? Thanks.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

toltommy

Re: Website to compare year to year flight prices?

Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:23 pm

Not sure where you are looking for, but here is a link for the USA....

Air Fares | Bureau of Transportation Statistics
https://www.bts.gov/air-fares
A300/A310/A319/A320/A321/A332/A333 / 707/712/727/732/733/734/735/738/739/752/753
/762/763/764/772/788/789/DC8/DC9-10/30/40/50/MD81/83/87/88/90/L1011-/250/500/CRJ200/440 /700/900/EMB135/140/145/170/175/190/328Jet/F70/SF3/BE1/J31

umichman

Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:35 pm

ExpertFlyer keeps an archive of fare filings going back a year. This can tell you what the lowest possible fare available on a given route was by backdating the ticketing date when searching for fares on a route, but it won't tell you how many fares the airlines sold for each the various fare filings (they control which fares are available via a fare bucket inventory system and the cheaper fares generally have advance purchase requirements -- typically 3 weeks domestically for the cheapest ones). Although the airlines have been making new limited duration fare filings in response to falloff in demand, some of which have little or no advance purchase requirement. If you look up a fare on ITA Matrix, it will have a link to the fare rules which will list any advance purchase requirements for the fare.

PatrickZ80

Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:27 pm

This is near impossible since ticket prices aren't fixed, they go up and down all the time. Even for the same seat on the same flight you likely pay another price if you book it 2 months in advance than if you book it 2 weeks in advance. Therefor you can never say "that flight costs that much money". It depends on the time of booking, how much time is there between the booking and the flight? In general, you pay a lower ticket price if you book early and a higher ticket price if you book late.

Of course what you can do is compare ticket prices for different travel dates. How much does it cost if I leave tomorrow? Or next week? Next month? In 3 months? For each date you will get a different price. However you got to offset this against the seasonal trends, flight tickets are always cheapest in the winter and most expensive in the summer.

bluefrog

Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:53 am

sorry to say this but travelling now is stupid lots of countries will quarantine you in your hotel for 14day's thats if you get in the country pity you didn't say where you are or where you planned going are there flights still? ,if so maybe a weeks time that country will be on lockdown or course hotels have dropped prices i saw a report on french tele about two weeks ago where a hotel in venise was offering 70%discount !!