Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

acavpics
Topic Author

Should airlines hand out hand wipes before inflight snacks and meals?

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:55 am

As we know, airline meal tray usually contains forks, spoons, knives, napkins, etc.
But what if we added a small pack (1 or 2 Individually wrapped) of Purell or Germ-X hand wipes to that list. That way, every passenger would be made (Or at least given a chance) to sanitize their hands before digging into a meal.

As we know, aircraft cabins and more importantly airports are large chambers of international pathogens. And lets face the truth, most passengers are simply don't have time or are too lazy to wash their hands before snack/meal service begins.

Just doing this alone could prevent so many people from getting sick. Yes it will cost airlines money. But it would probably help mitigate pandemics which are just wrecking airlines (And the world) top to bottom, such as the one that we are seeing right now.

And to whom this applies, it also wouldn't hurt to keep a hand sanitizer dispenser next to the snack bar in the galley.

amtravels

Re: Should airlines hand out hand wipes before inflight snacks and meals?

Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:02 am

Should they? Yes. Will they? Who knows.

WidebodyPTV

Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:05 am

I'd say the airline's sole responsibility would be to sanitize the aircraft between turns, including wiping down the tray tables, armrests, PTV (if applicable), etc. Beyond that... every single airport I've traveled through recently has increased the amount of available hand sanitizes, and unless a person's been in a coma for the past month, he or she knows how vital it is for her or she to frequently wash their hands (many airports have literature and announcements promoting this). If a person still chooses not to clean their hands, why would they bother to use hand wipes or hand sanitizer that the airline supplies?

acavpics
Topic Author

Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:11 am

WidebodyPTV wrote:
I'd say the airline's sole responsibility would be to sanitize the aircraft between turns, including wiping down the tray tables, armrests, PTV (if applicable), etc. Beyond that... every single airport I've traveled through recently has increased the amount of available hand sanitizes, and unless a person's been in a coma for the past month, he or she knows how vital it is for her or she to frequently wash their hands (many airports have literature and announcements promoting this). If a person still chooses not to clean their hands, why would they bother to use hand wipes or hand sanitizer that the airline supplies?

Well the thing is, at an airport, a person has to manually get up and go to a hand sanitizer dispenser and wipe their hands. If someone is running late for a flight, do you really think that they will go out of their way to wash their hands?

Also, a lot of people keep their hand sanitizers in their carry on baggage, which they might store in the overhead bins. I've never seen anyone open the bins just to retrieve these king of things

Whereas on a flight, if it is literally them with a meal (lets say, like a hot towel), don't you think that they will be far more likely to make use of it?

And also, how about an announcement like "Ladies and gentlemen, as we begin our snack/meal service, we kindly ask you to use the hand wipes that we are giving you in order to prevent the spread of germs and diseases."

alasizon

Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:14 am

Here is the issue with that, the hand wipes aren't available. Airlines are facing the same supply issues when it comes to wipes and hand sanitizer that private customers are. The supply chain already can't meet existing demand, adding more demand isn't going to help matters.

acavpics wrote:
But what if we added a small pack (1 or 2 Individually wrapped) of Purell or Germ-X hand wipes to that list. That way, every passenger would be made (Or at least given a chance) to sanitize their hands before digging into a meal.

This doesn't stop them from touching their face before then or afterwards.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

WidebodyPTV

Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:16 am

acavpics wrote:
Well the thing is, at an airport, a person has to manually get up and go to a hand sanitizer dispenser and wipe their hands. If someone is running late for a flight, do you really think that they will go out of their way to wash their hands?

Also, a lot of people keep their hand sanitizers in their carry on baggage, which they might store in the overhead bins. I've never seen anyone open the bins just to retrieve these king of things

Whereas on a flight, if it is literally them with a meal (lets say, like a hot towel), don't you think that they will be far more likely to make use of it?

And also, how about an announcement like "Ladies and gentlemen, as we begin our snack/meal service, we kindly ask you to use the hand wipes that we are giving you in order to prevent the spread of germs and diseases."

It wouldn't be a bad idea for airlines to carry bottles or wipes, and make them available upon request. But some people simply don't practice good hygiene standards, and this virus won't change that. Sanitizer isn't free and asking somebody else to pay for it -- whether it comes out of the airline's budget, air ticket fees, government fund, or whatnot -- is just a waste.

flyer1225

Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:41 am

acavpics wrote:
As we know, airline meal tray usually contains forks, spoons, knives, napkins, etc.

I remember some sort of sanitizing wipes being fairly commonplace in the 2000s, though I can't remember the last time I saw one - maybe EY in 2013?
6E/9W/AA/AF/AI/AS/B6/BA/DJ/DL/EK/FL/HA/IC/IT/JQ/LH/LX/OS/QF/S2/SG/UA/US/VS/VX/WN

benjjk

Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:22 am

It wouldn't cost the airlines money, it will be instantly passed onto the passenger.

Arq

Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:32 am

I do agree with you. I don't think those aircraft are properly clean during each turnaround, even if they are, we have so much chance of touching something before the meal service (certainly our luggage, which can be dirty, for example).

Airlines at my homebase, fortunately, always include those sanitary wipe. And the flag carrier squeeze alcohol gel on everyone's hand before meal cart arrive, an extra procedure during this difficult time.

jumpseat67

Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:32 am

Great idea, now that we have A. solved, what about the other two issues?

2. The gross individuals that put their bare feet on anything?
and D. The smelly "fake" comfort support animals.

Carry your own wipes...I have for years, not hard and affordable.

FabienA380

Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:35 am

Some airlines already do and have done for years. Tap, Eva, Madarin are the ones that pop in my head.

runway23

Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:43 am

FabienA380 wrote:
Some airlines already do and have done for years. Tap, Eva, Madarin are the ones that pop in my head.

Note that a fairly large proportion of those served are just wet wipes. It is still not that widespread to find wipes served by airlines that include alcohol in them.

VSMUT

Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:52 am

Air France and SAS have been handling them out for years.

Jomar777

Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:12 am

Qatar Airways have been handing those for years and they are proper sanitizers (although they use another name just to avoid conflict with their Qatari Passengers). You can take as many as you wish actually when they come calling.
Question is: how many passengers do actually use them when offered. I usually get a couple and use one immediately and one just after my meals for example but I see people simply leaving them on their seat pockets or not even bothering to take them.
Depends on passengers - instruct and inform them well and they might even bring those from home - or at least take them from their carry on luggage if they already have it.

F27500

Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:40 pm

I can see it now ... another "fee" added on to your fare. "Sanitary Wipe Surcharge: $25.00"

DL747400

Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:43 pm

jumpseat67 wrote:
Great idea, now that we have A. solved, what about ... The gross individuals that put their bare feet on anything?

The time has come for people to speak up and politely (at first) let those folks know that their behavior is no longer acceptable in today's world. If that doesn't work, engage a crew member. Airlines and their employees now have a heightened responsibility to monitor the behavior of passengers when it affects the health and safety of the other passengers and crew onboard the flight. Passengers need to know that they need to change their behavior and that bare feet are no longer acceptable onboard or in flight.

jumpseat67 wrote:

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark: Agree 100%. Have done so for years, but they are no longer a "nice to have" item in my packing list. They are now a "must have" item for all forms of public travel.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

RvA

Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:48 pm

No, they shouldn’t in my opinion. Do you get this at McDonald’s or anywhere else? If you want wipes, you bring them.

mopacair

Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:59 pm

Every plane I've been on had soap and water for washing your hands available in the lavatories. It's the individual that's responsible for good hygiene, not the airline. Could the airline have wipes available upon request? Sure, but don't make the airlines responsible.

SocalApproach

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:00 pm

Doesn’t solve anything because people that are sick are still traveling with or without knowledge they are sick with this virus and since it’s transmitted through the air passing out wipes does nothing from stopping someone from infecting another individual.

J343

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:06 pm

Some airlines do anyways right? I know Qatar Airways always does after boarding. Cathay Pacific also hands out antiseptic wipes on their first meal service and is often included in the cutlery sets. I have recently flown Iberia and those antiseptic wipes are inside the cutlery packs.

slider

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:38 pm

Whose responsibility is it to maintain individual personal hygiene?

That's right, the individual person.

How would you like to be responsible for you? Let's start there.

UWPAviation

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:49 pm

Hand them out when you board the plane. Have an attendant or gate manager at the jet bridge with a thing of sanitizing wipes and everyone boarding gets 1 do with as they please.

JBoy

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:10 pm

As others have said, it isn't up to the airline. Bring your own, take care of yourself and don't be gross. I wish people would once again take responsibility for themselves and not push it onto others/companies.

blrsea

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:13 pm

Emirates meal service has a sanitizer wipe in the tray. I think it definitely has alcohol based on the smell. However, you don't get anything for snack runs (the horrible pizzas they hand out in ULR flights).

planecane

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:25 pm

jumpseat67 wrote:
Great idea, now that we have A. solved, what about the other two issues?

2. The gross individuals that put their bare feet on anything?
and D. The smelly "fake" comfort support animals.

Don't forget people changing diapers on the tray table.

Agree, bring your own wipes and hand sanitizer on all flights. I have done both forever even though my wife is always embarrassed by me wiping down our seating area and tray tables. Little did she know I was ahead of my time!

StrandedAtMKG

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:27 pm

acavpics wrote:
And lets face the truth, most passengers are simply don't have time or are too lazy to wash their hands before snack/meal service begins.

Just doing this alone could prevent so many people from getting sick. Yes it will cost airlines money.

Not the airlines' problem. If you're adult enough to have a source of funds to purchase an airline ticket, a credit card with which to purchase said tickets, arrange transportation to the airport, etc., you're adult enough to wash your damned hands, and you're adult enough to deal with the consequences if you don't. (Children do not get on airplane trips without an adult handling the arrangements, and I don't even think UMs on international flights are a thing anymore.)

DenverTed

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:29 pm

Or bring a personal respirator. Just don't touch your food or face with your hands. Everybody is breathing the same air and touching the seats, armrests, overhead bin and lavatory latches, so the easiest transmission to stop is the hands to the face.

dtw2hyd

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:42 pm

Disposable 0.7 mil plastic drop cloth and non-marking masking tape. Tape to the ceiling to build a temporary shelter around your seat. Get an R95 mask it is a bleed air system.

I think two individually wrapped hand sanitizing wipes is not a bad idea.

Hygiene is never about supplies.
All posts are just opinions.

admanager

Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:22 pm

Where will the Purell wipes come from? I got this email yesterday from the second largest grocery wholesaler in the US..."At this time, we do not anticipate receiving any hand sanitizer from any supplier before mid April. Purell is limiting distribution in order to satisfy the medical community.
However Chick-Fillet still has individual packs of Purell in their stores, and these travel well. LOL

strfyr51

Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:09 pm

WidebodyPTV wrote:

Many airlines already carry wipes on their airplanes so it would be a simple matter to add a box on every flight, But that is? If you can get them!! Been to the store lately?
I went in to get some Purell hand sanitizing gel and guess what? they were OUT!! The single use packets are probably in HOT Demand about now in the USA. Much less the world.

ACDC8

Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:02 pm

No, they shouldn't.

If one is so paranoid about cleanliness of public areas, bring your own wipes/gel and stop expecting everyone else to provide it for you.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut