Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UA857
Topic Author

Why Does DHL Not Fly The MD-11?

Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:28 pm

How come only FedEx and UPS fly the MD-11 and DHL does not?

airtran737

Re: Why Does DHL Not Fly The MD-11?

Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:36 pm

World used to fly JFK-EMA and JFK-BRU with the MD-11 for DHL but as time went on they changed strategy.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

leleko747

Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:49 pm

UPS and FedEx fly their own metal. FedEx also have some subcontractors, but they have their own fleet.

DHL - apart from the European DHL Air - fly mostly with contracts with other airlines. Kalitta, AeroLogic, Southern Air, etc.

If any of these had MD-11F, maybe one could be painted in DHL colors.

I'd love to see one! And i'd love to see a 747 in full DHl livery aswell. Too bad Kalitta only had them painted in that boring yellow tail livery.
I wonder when people will understand:
Embraer 190 or simply E190, not ERJ-190. E-Jets are NOT ERJs!
Boeing 747-8, not Boeing 747-800. Same goes for 787.
Airbus A320, not Airbus 320.
Airbii does not exist.

KFTG

Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:55 pm

DHL is not an airline per se. All of their flying is contracted out to other carriers.

SpaceshipDC10

Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:31 pm

UA857 wrote:

FedEx was one of the first group of airlines to order the MD-11 back in 1986. UPS has bought it's all fleet on the second-hand market between 2000 and 2008. Recently they have acquired several more.

As has already been said, DHL is a bit different. They have their own inhouse airlines too (DHL Air UK), European Air Transport), but they also contract out to other airlines, such as Southern Air that opearates round-the-world flights from CVG if I remember correctly with two intermediate stops at DXB and HKG. They can only do that with a 777, not the MD-11. Also, part of DHL's lift is done through AeroLogic, their joint-venture with Lufthansa.

Fixinthe757

Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:29 am

because the ideas is to make money, not waste it

oldJoe

Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:54 pm

Fixinthe757 wrote:

Does this mean if you fly a MD-11F you`re wasting money ? If yes, LH Cargo should be a long time out and gone.
The MD-11 was not so popular in europe and so they ( DHL Aviation ) decided for other aircraft.

jetblueguy22

Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:03 pm

Fixinthe757 wrote:

The MD-11 is a cargo hauling monster. Hardly a waste of money. It certainly creates challenges that other aircraft don’t have, but it does its job well.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

blueflyer

Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:49 pm

UA857 wrote:

Short answer is, DHL doesn't fly the MD-11 because they didn't think it had a place in their network based on a combination of acquisition, conversion, and operating costs as well as limited availability.

Why do you feel DHL should fly the MD-11 anyway? And by the way, why is UPS not flying the 777? DHL and FedEx are, so shouldn't UPS?

leleko747 wrote:
DHL - apart from the European DHL Air - fly mostly with contracts with other airlines. Kalitta, AeroLogic, Southern Air, etc. If any of these had MD-11F, maybe one could be painted in DHL colors.

If DHL felt the need for MD-11s in their network, they would make it happen. They are far more proactive in the fleet selection process for their contract than they are given credit for. They don't go to market and ask for 15 random aircraft with a capacity of X over a period of Y months and then watch offers for all kinds of aircraft roll in. They specify age, range, volume, payload, etc. narrowly enough that they might as well write we want 15 767-200s!

Besides, they actually own many of the aircraft operated on their behalf. They decided years ago that shouldering the acquisition costs would in some instance give them access to more reliable, efficient aircraft without being tied down to long-term contracts if they had to ask their operators to acquire them. Under that model, DHL Express (the aviation arm of DHL) will buy a new or used aircraft and either enters into a CMI contract (like ACMI without the A) to operate it, or enters into a dry lease with an operator that will turn around and then sign a wet-lease or ACMI lease back with DHL Express for the same aircraft.

I don't have exact figures in front of me, however DHL Express owns at least some of its 777s, 767s, 737s, and A330s. A quick search unearthed this 2018 press release showing DHL Express buying 14 new 777Fs from Boeing with a further 7 options.
https://boeing.mediaroom.com/2018-07-16 ... Freighters

B777LRF

Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:21 am

DHL did operate MD-11F's for quite a long time, through ACMI agreements with Gemini and World. Even managed to sit a Gemini one on it's arse in Dubai, joining the large club of MD-11F operators to whom that happened. If memory serves me right only two MD-11F operators never suffered that indignity; China Southern and Lufthansa.
Signature. You just read one.

asr0dzjq

Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:15 pm

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
They have their own inhouse airlines too (DHL Air UK), European Air Transport), but they also contract out to other airlines, such as Southern Air that opearates round-the-world flights from CVG if I remember correctly with two intermediate stops at DXB and HKG. They can only do that with a 777, not the MD-11.

Laughs in auxiliary tanks
Oh wait...
R.I.P. Douglas Aircraft Company
Born 22 July 1921 | Died 23 May 2006
You will be missed, but your management will not.

Fixinthe757

Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:30 am

jetblueguy22 wrote:
Fixinthe757 wrote:

The MD-11 is a cargo hauling monster. Hardly a waste of money. It certainly creates challenges that other aircraft don’t have, but it does its job well.

yes it does perform its job well, no argument there at all. But when it comes to maintenance costs, now theres a monster. Ever worked one? I have, along with the 10s. Very unfriendly from a mechanics point of view. Maint cost on most anything with a DC or MD in front of it is going to be more than B or A. That's where the difference lies

jetblueguy22

Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:00 am

Fixinthe757 wrote:
jetblueguy22 wrote:
Fixinthe757 wrote:

yes it does perform its job well, no argument there at all. But when it comes to maintenance costs, now theres a monster. Ever worked one? I have, along with the 10s. Very unfriendly from a mechanics point of view. Maint cost on most anything with a DC or MD in front of it is going to be more than B or A. That's where the difference lies

I’m not turning the wrenches on them, but I have one on my ramp everyday. All I heard before they introduced them to us back in October was how they’re always breaking. Yet we have more mechanicals on 767s and Airbuses than the MD. Go figure.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club